Mays killers: A homeless man just died outside parliament. Our government may as well have a policy to kill its own citizens.
sosso
2018-02-17 13:58:55 UTC
The Metro has reported that a homeless man died in an underpass at
Westminster tube station, just metres from parliament. And the fact that
a citizen perished so close to the heart of our government should be a
wake up call. But it won’t be. Because this is Tory Britain in 2018.

This is Tory Britain
This is Tory Britain, where politicians will probably suck air through
their teeth at the news of this man’s death. And they’ll probably argue
‘some people don’t want to be helped’; ‘he would have been offered
support, but for whatever reason refused it’. This is also Tory Britain,
where the number of rough sleepers rose by 169% between 2010 and 2017;
and where the number of households in temporary accommodation on 30
September 2017 had gone up by 65% since 31 December 2010. But this is, of
course, a coincidence.

This is Tory Britain, where I’ve now lost track of the number of homeless
people who have died already this year. Me, a journalist. Someone who
constantly fights for people’s most basic rights. I’ve lost track of how
many homeless people have died. I feel ashamed.

This is Tory Britain, where it’s not just homeless people who are dying.
It’s a country where a study found that the government’s Work Capability
Assessment (WCA) was linked to an “additional” 590 people taking their
own lives. We live in a country where people are dying while they wait
for the government to give them the support they’re entitled to. And it’s
a country where the government openly admits [pdf, p8] that, between
December 2011 and February 2014, 90 people a month died after being told
by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) they were “fit for work”.

This is Tory Britain, where elderly people are wandering the streets,
freezing and alone, because they can’t afford to heat their homes. It’s
where an estimated 9,000 people died in 2014/15 because of fuel poverty;
where an estimated 120,000 people have needlessly died since the
Conservatives came to power. One expert called it “economic murder”. But
this is Tory Britain – where that is, of course, ‘fake news’.

Society: so obsessed with self, we’ve forgotten about each other
This is Tory Britain, where people will probably accuse me of hyperbole
for this article; of being ‘over-the-top’; of peddling “inflammatory
rubbish“. But if this was a developing country and a dictatorship was
enacting policies that killed its own citizens, the West probably would
have invaded by now. So how is one death because of UK government policy
acceptable? What if that were your mother? Father? Son? Daughter? Dying
scared and alone, knowing that the government could have saved them, but
didn’t?

This is Tory Britain, where people will argue that democracy allows us to
change a government if we don’t like it; that we have a chance to remove
the Conservatives from power at an election. But for whatever reason, we
don’t. For whatever reason, we’ve become a society so obsessed with
‘self’, that we’ve forgotten about each other.

This is Tory Britain. Where our government may as well put on a billboard
that its policy is to kill its own citizens. Because that’s what’s
happening, right before our eyes.

www.thecanary.co
m***@btopenworld.com
2018-02-17 15:09:21 UTC
Post by sosso
The Metro has reported that a homeless man died in an underpass at
Westminster tube station, just metres from parliament.
Drug overdose or alcoholism?

Why did he not go to the Sally Ann? They would not have let him die. Even if they could not provide him with a bed, they would have put a roof over his head, fed him and kept him warm. Infinitely better than and underpass!

I give regularly to the Salvation Army. How often do you give?

Failing that why did he not go to the local council. A copper would have directed him. The local council is required by law to accommodate the homeless even if for one night his accommodation was a blanket and a dry floor in a warm building until better arrangements could be made. Sending him back onto the street would not be an option open to them.

In this age of social welfare , nobody, not anybody has need to sleep on the street.

Anyway, well pasted. I hope you paid the subscription for the use of that site though I doubt it!
JNugent
2018-02-17 15:21:31 UTC
Post by sosso
Failing that why did he not go to the local council. A copper would have directed him. The local council is required by law to accommodate the homeless even if for one night his accommodation was a blanket and a dry floor in a warm building until better arrangements could be made. Sending him back onto the street would not be an option open to them.
In this age of social welfare , nobody, not anybody has need to sleep on the street.
Anyway, well pasted. I hope you paid the subscription for the use of that site though I doubt it!
As I understand it, the unfortunate man was Portuguese. And given that
fact, was probably not "homeless", in that he ultimately had a place he
could go (which incidentally, probably wasn't so cold).

<http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/homeless-man-westminster-parliament-work-job-portuguese-model-waiter-st-martin-in-the-fields-a8212896.html>

Comment on that Indy story is eye-opening.

The Guardian had run the story but didn't even mention the fact that he
was foreign, and the Independent fails to mention what they meant by
"complex circumstances".

But there are comments which indicate that the gentleman's history was
far from unknown.

(selected) QUOTE:

3 hours ago
'Complex circumstances" means he was a dual Portuguese Angolan national
who had been deported twice for illegally entering the country after
serving a prison term for child abuse. This man was an intentionally
homeless criminal and yet we have thousands of British children
homeless, living and dying in dire circumstances, who do not merit a
word in this propaganda rag. The question a real journalist would ask
is why was he hell bent on staying here instead of returning to
Portugal? Easy access to children? Perceived better job opportunities or
welfare?

Redshiftrider
5 hours ago
It seems the "gentleman" in question was a convicted paedophile and had
served time in prison for sexually assaulting a child. Representatives
of Comrade Corbyn`s office have laid flowers.........

onthisveryspot
3 hours ago
He was a convicted pedophile who had been deported twice.
ENDQUOTE

As unfortunate as the circumstances are, these contributions have the
ring of truth about them.
m***@btopenworld.com
2018-02-17 16:19:46 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by sosso
[...]
Poor old Sosso! Now he will have to find a new nym!

However, I'm sure we can rely on his creativity.
sosso
2018-02-17 16:47:01 UTC
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by sosso
[...]
you right wing piece of garbage

a parasite.
johnny-knowall
2018-02-17 17:05:44 UTC
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by sosso
The Metro has reported that a homeless man died in an underpass at
Westminster tube station, just metres from parliament.
Drug overdose or alcoholism?
Why did he not go to the Sally Ann? They would not have let him die. Even if
they could not provide him with a bed, they would have put a roof over his
head, fed him and kept him warm. Infinitely better than and underpass!
I give regularly to the Salvation Army. How often do you give?
A rather nasty comment.

In your world, do you have charity donation one-upmanship as well?
abelard
2018-02-17 15:35:33 UTC
On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 13:58:55 -0000 (UTC), sosso
Post by sosso
The Metro has reported that a homeless man died in an underpass at
Westminster tube station, just metres from parliament. And the fact that
a citizen perished so close to the heart of our government should be a
wake up call. But it won’t be. Because this is Tory Britain in 2018.
if you really cared you'd at least lay flowers like calamity corbyn

or perhaps you could have married him and let him move in with you
thus giving him british citizenship and a chance to claim the dole
--
www.abelard.org