Theresa May risks the breakup of the UK
Add Reply
James Harris
2017-12-04 16:39:24 UTC
According to reports, Theresa May is saying that Northern Ireland can be
locked into some form of regulatory equivalence with the EU post Brexit.
Predictably, the SNP are asking why they can't have that, too. And so
are others.

It either means that May is considering locking the whole UK into EU
regulations or that she is considering allowing different schemes within
the UK. Both are very bad ideas.

The EU and the Irish PM, are apparently delighted.

May: I have in my hand a piece of paper....
James Harris
m***@btopenworld.com
2017-12-04 16:50:08 UTC
Post by James Harris
According to reports, Theresa May is saying that Northern Ireland can be
locked into some form of regulatory equivalence with the EU post Brexit.
Predictably, the SNP are asking why they can't have that, too. And so
are others.
It either means that May is considering locking the whole UK into EU
regulations or that she is considering allowing different schemes within
the UK. Both are very bad ideas.
The EU and the Irish PM, are apparently delighted.
May: I have in my hand a piece of paper....
My sentiments exactly.

It seems that we will leave the EU whilst remaining in. Pay more even than we paid before, have no seat at the table, and fragment the UK.

The bugbear to all this is Ireland. It would appear that "But the DUP, which has a deal with the Conservatives to keep Mrs May in power at Westminster, warned it would not back any agreement which threatened the territorial integrity of the UK."

I should think not indeed!

Has it taken all this time to negotiate a surrender?

17.4m voters sold out! Why?
James Harris
2017-12-04 17:09:08 UTC
Post by James Harris
[...]
It's a bit too early yet to find out what's really going on but it seems
to me to be possible that it was only the resolution of the DUP which
prevented May's proposed capitulation.

I've long thought that it's important that one person drives the Brexit
process from beginning to end. But I can't help sometimes hoping that
May will be replaced. If she is going to be, it should be sooner rather
than later.
James Harris
m***@btopenworld.com
2017-12-04 19:29:59 UTC
Post by James Harris
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by James Harris
[...]
Yes it does not seem so bad now as the details start to filter in but I was very annoyed wen I read the early reports. So much for all those brave words from the podium of Lancaster House.

Our best hope could be that the HoC really does exercise its majority and vote down any deal of the type that has been intimated. I can't really see the Brexit Tories trooping into the government lobby to support anything like this.

So it would be "Over to you Mr Corbyn" Would he take his legions into the opposition lobby or would some of his legions take a heaven sent opportunity to scupper him and settle a score?

An important issue like this shouldn't really be decided on such considerations but that's party politics.

Theresa might well fruitfully remember the words of Churchill. "Anybody can rat once. To rat twice takes talent."

Again we shall be waiting to see. Perhaps she has a favour to call in.

Slim hopes.
MM
2017-12-07 17:02:44 UTC
Post by James Harris
[...]
Because they sold out the UK's future, that's why.

MM

Ophelia
2017-12-06 18:20:09 UTC
"James Harris" wrote in message news:p03tnt$e4f$***@dont-email.me...

According to reports, Theresa May is saying that Northern Ireland can be
locked into some form of regulatory equivalence with the EU post Brexit.
Predictably, the SNP are asking why they can't have that, too. And so
are others.

It either means that May is considering locking the whole UK into EU
regulations or that she is considering allowing different schemes within
the UK. Both are very bad ideas.

The EU and the Irish PM, are apparently delighted.

May: I have in my hand a piece of paper....

James Harris

==

Ugh!
--