English will not be an official EU language after Brexit, says senior MEP
burfordTjustice
2016-06-28 11:08:39 UTC
Well shucks, golly gee....who gives a damn.

http://www.politico.eu/article/english-will-not-be-an-official-eu-language-after-brexit-senior-mep/
abelard
2016-06-28 11:10:49 UTC
On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 07:08:39 -0400, burfordTjustice
Post by burfordTjustice
Well shucks, golly gee....who gives a damn.
http://www.politico.eu/article/english-will-not-be-an-official-eu-language-after-brexit-senior-mep/
what do you suppose it will be? russian?
www.abelard.org
A. Filip
2016-06-28 11:25:33 UTC
Post by burfordTjustice
Well shucks, golly gee....who gives a damn.
http://www.politico.eu/article/english-will-not-be-an-official-eu-language-after-brexit-senior-mep/
what do you suppose it will be? russian?
Chinese? ;-)
--
A. Filip
Some scholars are like donkeys, they merely carry a lot of books.
-- Folk saying
abelard
2016-06-28 11:29:23 UTC
Post by burfordTjustice
Well shucks, golly gee....who gives a damn.
http://www.politico.eu/article/english-will-not-be-an-official-eu-language-after-brexit-senior-mep/
what do you suppose it will be? russian?
Chinese? ;-)
indeed..it's almost as popular as english...

although last i looked..about 600 million chinese were trying
to learn english(fact)

they weren't trying to learn french!!
www.abelard.org
A. Filip
2016-06-28 11:49:10 UTC
Post by abelard
Post by burfordTjustice
Well shucks, golly gee....who gives a damn.
http://www.politico.eu/article/english-will-not-be-an-official-eu-language-after-brexit-senior-mep/
what do you suppose it will be? russian?
Chinese? ;-)
indeed..it's almost as popular as english...
although last i looked..about 600 million chinese were trying
to learn english(fact)
they weren't trying to learn french!!
They were trying to learn USAnesse.
--
A. Filip
She is not refined. She is not unrefined. She keeps a parrot.
-- Mark Twain
Phi
Frog spawn.
abelard
2016-06-28 11:49:25 UTC
Post by abelard
what do you suppose it will be? russian?
Frog spawn.
as you mature you could croak your views but as spawn
you have no vote
www.abelard.org
n***@gmail.com
Turkish...
m***@btopenworld.com
2016-06-28 16:25:01 UTC
Post by burfordTjustice
Well shucks, golly gee....who gives a damn.
http://www.politico.eu/article/english-will-not-be-an-official-eu-language-after-brexit-senior-mep/
what do you suppose it will be? russian?
And these are the very people who espouse to become the worlds financial/commercial capital.

and the most commonly used language in these areas is ? ? ?
abelard
2016-06-28 17:28:55 UTC
Post by burfordTjustice
Well shucks, golly gee....who gives a damn.
http://www.politico.eu/article/english-will-not-be-an-official-eu-language-after-brexit-senior-mep/
what do you suppose it will be? russian?
And these are the very people who espouse to become the worlds financial/commercial capital.
and the most commonly used language in these areas is ? ? ?
their eyes are bigger than their stomachs...part of
why they formed the euro
www.abelard.org
Incubus
2016-06-28 11:22:04 UTC
It's interesting that Ireland have listed Irish Gaelic. I'm not sure the proficiency is all that great. Without English as an official language, they might feel the need to list English at the very least as an additional official language.
tim...
2016-06-28 14:24:43 UTC
Post by burfordTjustice
Well shucks, golly gee....who gives a damn.
The Irish who don't speak Gaelic, the Maltese who don't speak Maltese and
Cypriots who don't speak Greek

It's all very well nominating your minority (well probably not minority in
Cyprus' case) language because your majority one is nominated by someone
else

but just once in a while it leaves you stuffed

tim
Basil Jet
2016-06-28 18:40:42 UTC
Post by tim...
Post by burfordTjustice
Well shucks, golly gee....who gives a damn.
The Irish who don't speak Gaelic, the Maltese who don't speak Maltese
and Cypriots who don't speak Greek
It's all very well nominating your minority (well probably not minority
in Cyprus' case) language because your majority one is nominated by
someone else
but just once in a while it leaves you stuffed
Does each country only get to add one to the list of EU languages? That
seems both unfair and completely contrary to the EU policy of destroying
nation states.
tim...
2016-06-28 21:51:30 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
Post by tim...
Post by burfordTjustice
Well shucks, golly gee....who gives a damn.
The Irish who don't speak Gaelic, the Maltese who don't speak Maltese
and Cypriots who don't speak Greek
It's all very well nominating your minority (well probably not minority
in Cyprus' case) language because your majority one is nominated by
someone else
but just once in a while it leaves you stuffed
Does each country only get to add one to the list of EU languages?
dunno what the rule is

but the fact is that each county only has one

tim
Mike Swift
2016-06-28 23:08:51 UTC
Post by tim...
Post by Basil Jet
Does each country only get to add one to the list of EU languages?
dunno what the rule is
but the fact is that each county only has one
Belgium has two.

Mike
Yorkshire Halvard Lange
Basil Jet
Belgium has three official languages. Finland has two.
abelard
www.abelard.org
Mike Swift
2016-06-29 10:23:47 UTC
Post by abelard
Post by Mike Swift
Post by tim...
Post by Basil Jet
Does each country only get to add one to the list of EU languages?
dunno what the rule is
but the fact is that each county only has one
Belgium has two.
england has 772
LOL, not official though, oh hang on, judging by official forms you
might just be correct, I even got a speeding summons in Welsh, they did
add a translation though.

Mike
Yorkshire Halvard Lange
abelard
2016-06-29 10:44:50 UTC
On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 11:23:47 +0100, Mike Swift
Post by Mike Swift
Post by abelard
Post by Mike Swift
Post by tim...
Post by Basil Jet
Does each country only get to add one to the list of EU languages?
dunno what the rule is
but the fact is that each county only has one
Belgium has two.
england has 772
LOL, not official though, oh hang on, judging by official forms you
might just be correct, I even got a speeding summons in Welsh, they did
add a translation though.
you're entitled to a version in swahili and a personal translator....

unless you're one of these racist fellows...
www.abelard.org
tim...
2016-06-29 12:53:27 UTC
writes
Post by tim...
Post by Basil Jet
Does each country only get to add one to the list of EU languages?
dunno what the rule is
but the fact is that each county only has one
Belgium has two.
but it only "nominated" one of them.

The other one was nominated by someone else

(In fact in the case of Belgium all three if its official languages were
nominated by someone else)

tim
MM
English is the language of the world.
b***@hotmail.com
2016-06-29 16:44:21 UTC
Post by MM
English is the language of the world.
English was NOT the language used by God when he dictated the scriptures.
Watch it, sinner. God speaks only Hebrew and Geordie.

Max Demian
2016-06-28 22:15:33 UTC
On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 19:40:42 +0100, Basil Jet
Post by Basil Jet
Post by tim...
Post by burfordTjustice
Well shucks, golly gee....who gives a damn.
The Irish who don't speak Gaelic, the Maltese who don't speak Maltese
and Cypriots who don't speak Greek
It's all very well nominating your minority (well probably not minority
in Cyprus' case) language because your majority one is nominated by
someone else
but just once in a while it leaves you stuffed
Does each country only get to add one to the list of EU languages? That
seems both unfair and completely contrary to the EU policy of
destroying
Post by Basil Jet
nation states.
Serves the Irish right for pretending they speak Gaelic.
Max Demian
b***@hotmail.com
2016-06-28 16:04:58 UTC
Post by burfordTjustice
Well shucks, golly gee....who gives a damn.
http://www.politico.eu/article/english-will-not-be-an-official-eu-language-after-brexit-senior-mep/
Businesspeople and educated persons everywhere will continue to use English, among other languages, if it gets things done.

A couple of years ago In Vienna (that's in a country called Austria)I was in a hotel lounge, and listened to a business conversation at the next table. The man closest to me was either Austrian or German (according to his documents)and the other two men seemed, by their faces and sporadic cellphone "asides", to be Chinese and South Asian. Their conversation was entirely in English.

Longer ago I was in Oslo, and being lost and unsure on a T-Banen platform, I held out my rail leaflet to the only other bystanders, a woman and a girl in full Bangladeshi costume. I pointed to the rail line on the leaflet and raised my eyebrows. The girl answered in Norwegian. I shrugged helplessly and shook my head. The girl chattered to her mother and then spoke to me in perfect English: "My mum thinks you might be German, but you're probably English aren't you?" I was gobsmacked.

The French may do what they will, but they won't stop non-EU Norwegian Bangladeshi girls and EU Austrian businessmen, or anyone else from communicating in the most effective way at that moment.
Fredxxx
2016-06-28 18:48:31 UTC
Post by burfordTjustice
Well shucks, golly gee....who gives a damn.
http://www.politico.eu/article/english-will-not-be-an-official-eu-language-after-brexit-senior-mep/
Made all the more ironic that English is perhaps the most common
language amongst MEPs and other EU citizens.