News Servers.
Add Reply
Omega
2017-09-09 07:19:51 UTC
Anyone else having problems with Eternal September this week?

I understand they have replaced their servers earlier than planned.

My service was off entirely for the first two or three days earlier this
week, then service was sporadic for some more days.

At the moment there is a service but crawls along when trying to
download messages. Occasionally messages have refused to upload.

Bloody frustrating when trying to make a point or post an original.

Hope it gets back to normal soon.

omega
Col
2017-09-09 07:37:19 UTC
Post by Omega
Anyone else having problems with Eternal September this week?
I understand they have replaced their servers earlier than planned.
My service was off entirely for the first two or three days earlier this
week, then service was sporadic for some more days.
At the moment there is a service but crawls along when trying to
download messages.  Occasionally messages have refused to upload.
Bloody frustrating when trying to make a point or post an original.
Hope it gets back to normal soon.
Ironic really, given that it's September....
Col
Ian Jackson
2017-09-09 07:52:24 UTC
Post by Omega
Anyone else having problems with Eternal September this week?
I understand they have replaced their servers earlier than planned.
My service was off entirely for the first two or three days earlier
this week, then service was sporadic for some more days.
At the moment there is a service but crawls along when trying to
download messages. Occasionally messages have refused to upload.
Bloody frustrating when trying to make a point or post an original.
Hope it gets back to normal soon.
omega
Is it not a good idea to have set up several news servers that you can
use? I have seven - one provided by my ISP, one pay-for 10 euro per
year), and five free (including ES). All are active (although four are
maybe only used for one newsgroup). My mail/news client (Turnpike) warns
when any of the servers is not responding, and it's only a minute's work
to determine which it is. I can then set the newsgroup(s) affected to
use one the other news servers instead.
Ian
Norman Wells
2017-09-09 09:03:16 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Is it not a good idea to have set up several news servers that you can
use? I have seven - one provided by my ISP, one pay-for 10 euro per
year), and five free (including ES). All are active (although four are
maybe only used for one newsgroup). My mail/news client (Turnpike) warns
when any of the servers is not responding, and it's only a minute's work
to determine which it is. I can then set the newsgroup(s) affected to
use one the other news servers instead.
That sounds absurdly complicated and unnecessary to me.

What's wrong with using just the one you pay for, which I assume is
news.individual.net? Have you known it ever go wrong for any length of
time?
Bod
2017-09-09 09:07:55 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Ian Jackson
Is it not a good idea to have set up several news servers that you can
use? I have seven - one provided by my ISP, one pay-for 10 euro per
year), and five free (including ES). All are active (although four are
maybe only used for one newsgroup). My mail/news client (Turnpike)
warns when any of the servers is not responding, and it's only a
minute's work to determine which it is. I can then set the
newsgroup(s) affected to use one the other news servers instead.
That sounds absurdly complicated and unnecessary to me.
What's wrong with using just the one you pay for, which I assume is
news.individual.net?  Have you known it ever go wrong for any length of
time?
Sorry to butt in, but just to confirm that I've used individual. net for
years without any problems. Only about £8 per year and worth every penny.
JNugent
2017-09-09 09:13:28 UTC
Post by Bod
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Ian Jackson
Is it not a good idea to have set up several news servers that you
can use? I have seven - one provided by my ISP, one pay-for 10 euro
per year), and five free (including ES). All are active (although
four are maybe only used for one newsgroup). My mail/news client
(Turnpike) warns when any of the servers is not responding, and it's
only a minute's work to determine which it is. I can then set the
newsgroup(s) affected to use one the other news servers instead.
That sounds absurdly complicated and unnecessary to me.
What's wrong with using just the one you pay for, which I assume is
news.individual.net?  Have you known it ever go wrong for any length
of time?
Sorry to butt in, but just to confirm that I've used individual. net for
years without any problems. Only about £8 per year and worth every penny.
+1.

In any case, it's been some time since you could rely on UK ISPs to
include access to a news server as part of the service. I wonder whether
AOL still does it?
Norman Wells
2017-09-09 09:48:00 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by Bod
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Ian Jackson
[...]
I don't know, but I guess that Ian, who still uses Turnpike which was a
Demon product, was miffed when they stopped providing news server access
a couple of years ago, and so has been trying whatever he can ever since.

I was in the same position, and in fact took them to the ombudsman over
it, but eventually settled on news.individual.net which I have to say
has never let me down. Needless to say, I also left Demon as soon as I
could.
Incubus
2017-09-11 13:11:06 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by JNugent
Post by Bod
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Ian Jackson
[...]
I always maintained that Usenet's decline was helped by the fact that
pirates used it to share binaries. Usenet servers are relatively
difficult to maintain and with a shrinking user base, there isn't much
incentive for ISPs to maintain a Usenet server. The sheer volume of
traffic for binaries must have been an absolutely nightmware.
Let It Be
+2
Mike Swift
2017-09-09 09:18:14 UTC
Sorry to butt in, but just to confirm that I've used individual. net for years
without any problems. Only about £8 per year and worth every penny.
Seconded.

Mike
Yorkshire Halvard Lange
Ophelia
2017-09-09 16:54:02 UTC
Sorry to butt in, but just to confirm that I've used individual. net for years
without any problems. Only about £8 per year and worth every penny.
Seconded.

Mike
==

Same here. (thirded?) <g>
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Yellow
And me!
Ophelia
2017-09-10 12:34:08 UTC

Post by Mike Swift
Sorry to butt in, but just to confirm that I've used individual. net for years
without any problems. Only about £8 per year and worth every penny.
Seconded.
Mike
==
Same here. (thirded?) <g>
And me!

==

tut do you mean fourthded?

;-)
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Yellow
I do!
Ophelia
2017-09-10 13:49:03 UTC
"Yellow" wrote in message news:***@News.Individual.NET...

In article <***@mid.individual.net>, ***@gmail.com
says...
Post by Yellow
says...
Post by Mike Swift
Post by Bod
Sorry to butt in, but just to confirm that I've used individual. net for
years
without any problems. Only about £8 per year and worth every penny.
Seconded.
Mike
==
Same here. (thirded?) <g>
And me!
==
tut do you mean fourthded?
;-)
I do!

==

Fort so <g>
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Bod
2017-09-10 15:03:20 UTC
Post by Yellow
says...
Post by Yellow
says...
Post by Mike Swift
Post by Bod
years
without any problems. Only about £8 per year and worth every penny.
Seconded.
Mike
==
Same here. (thirded?)  <g>
And me!
==
tut do you mean fourthded?
;-)
I do!
==
Fort so <g>
May the fourth be with you.
Bod
Ophelia
2017-09-10 16:00:59 UTC
Post by Yellow
says...
Post by Yellow
says...
Post by Mike Swift
Post by Bod
years
without any problems. Only about £8 per year and worth every penny.
Seconded.
Mike
==
Same here. (thirded?) <g>
And me!
==
tut do you mean fourthded?
;-)
I do!
==
Fort so <g>
May the fourth be with you.

Bod

==

Why thenk you my guid mayne ...
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
James Wilkinson Sword
2017-09-11 15:47:12 UTC
Post by Bod
Post by Yellow
says...
Post by Yellow
says...
..
Post by Bod
Post by Yellow
Post by Yellow
Post by Mike Swift
Post by Bod
Sorry to butt in, but just to confirm that I've used individual.
net > >for
Post by Mike Swift
Post by Bod
years
without any problems. Only about =A38 per year and worth every pe=
nny.
Post by Bod
Post by Yellow
Post by Yellow
Post by Mike Swift
Seconded.
Mike
=3D=3D
Same here. (thirded?) <g>
And me!
=3D=3D
tut do you mean fourthded?
;-)
I do!
=3D=3D
Fort so <g>
May the fourth be with you.
Bod
=3D=3D
Why thenk you my guid mayne ...
Are you drunk or were you trying out a Somerset accent?

-- =

The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling=
ball wouldn't.
James Wilkinson Sword
2017-09-11 15:46:51 UTC
Post by Bod
Post by Yellow
says...
Post by Yellow
says...
..
Post by Bod
Post by Yellow
Post by Yellow
Post by Mike Swift
Post by Bod
years
without any problems. Only about =A38 per year and worth every pe=
nny.
Post by Bod
Post by Yellow
Post by Yellow
Post by Mike Swift
Seconded.
Mike
=3D=3D
Same here. (thirded?) <g>
And me!
=3D=3D
tut do you mean fourthded?
;-)
I do!
=3D=3D
Fort so <g>
May the fourth be with you.
I was crossing the river Forth when I heard on the radio that the footie=
score was East Fife four Forfar five.

-- =

If you are having sex with TWO women and ONE more woman walks in, what d=
o you have?
Divorce proceedings, most likely.
Mike Swift
2017-09-10 14:39:13 UTC
I do!
I now pronounce you person and person :-)

Mike
Yorkshire Halvard Lange
James Wilkinson Sword
2017-09-09 13:47:48 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
time?
Sorry to butt in, but just to confirm that I've used individual. net f=
or
years without any problems. Only about =A38 per year and worth every p=
enny.

Altopia $6 a month including binaries with unlimited access. Never know=
n it go down, and it misses way less articles than others.

-- =

Backup not found. A)bort, R)etry or P)anic?
The Peeler
2017-09-09 17:08:59 UTC
On Sat, 09 Sep 2017 14:47:48 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),
Post by Bod
Sorry to butt in, but just to confirm that I've used individual. net for
years without any problems. Only about £8 per year and worth every penny.
Altopia $6 a month including binaries with unlimited access. Never known
it go down, and it misses way less articles than others.
Altopia is KNOWN to be used almost exclusively by sick trolls like you!
--
More of Scottish wanker Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL)
sociopathic "thinking":
MID: <***@red.lan>
Ian Jackson
2017-09-09 18:55:31 UTC
Post by James Wilkinson Sword
Post by Bod
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Ian Jackson
[...]
When Demon was really Demon, as part of the normal customer package they
used to provide a binary-carrying news server. I used to subscribe both
to alt.binaries.pictures.radio and alt.binaries.radio.pictures (carrying
a lot of photos of antique, collectible and restored radios and TVs).
Several years ago, they decided to cease the binaries - and about three
years ago to pull the server plug completely. I did consider getting an
alternative binary server, but by then even those two NGs were starting
to get swamped by those who somehow believed we all were interested in
getting copies of their favourite movies (regardless of what the NG was
intended for) - so I didn't bother. If I was still interested, Altopia
would be a good bet - but even the modest $72 per year is a bit much for
what now is something I'm much less interested in.
Ian
Joe
2017-09-09 19:13:35 UTC
On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 19:55:31 +0100
Post by Ian Jackson
[...]
https://www.newsdemon.com/

£1.80/10GB one-off block, expires after 1 year, various other plans.
Ian Jackson
2017-09-09 19:40:20 UTC
Post by Joe
https://www.newsdemon.com/
£1.80/10GB one-off block, expires after 1 year, various other plans.
Thanks. I've looked there before. Presumably the £1.80 is a one-off
payment for a cumulative 10GB of downloads, but expires after one year.
That looks like a good buy for the occasional binary download. The other
pricing schemes don't make it immediately clear whether it's per month
or per year - or whatever.
Ian
Joe
2017-09-09 20:09:17 UTC
On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 20:40:20 +0100
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Joe
https://www.newsdemon.com/
£1.80/10GB one-off block, expires after 1 year, various other plans.
Thanks. I've looked there before. Presumably the £1.80 is a one-off
payment for a cumulative 10GB of downloads, but expires after one
year. That looks like a good buy for the occasional binary download.
Yes, that's what I use it for, the odd bits and pieces. I don't do
films, and I have gone the whole year on less than 10GB. It's an offer
at the moment, the usual price is a staggering £2.88. I did have a
query about it once, and got an emailed reply from a named human within
24 hours. The way Demon was once...
Post by Ian Jackson
The other pricing schemes don't make it immediately clear whether
it's per month or per year - or whatever.
They do both. God knows what you'd need an unlimited Usenet download per
month for. I do about 20GB a month non-news, to keep a couple of Debian
unstables fed and watered, and I think that's a lot.
James Wilkinson Sword
2017-09-09 20:15:29 UTC
Post by Joe
On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 20:40:20 +0100
Post by Joe
https://www.newsdemon.com/
=A31.80/10GB one-off block, expires after 1 year, various other plan=
s.
Post by Joe
Thanks. I've looked there before. Presumably the =A31.80 is a one-off=
payment for a cumulative 10GB of downloads, but expires after one
year. That looks like a good buy for the occasional binary download.
Yes, that's what I use it for, the odd bits and pieces. I don't do
films, and I have gone the whole year on less than 10GB. It's an offer=
at the moment, the usual price is a staggering =A32.88. I did have a
Post by Joe
24 hours. The way Demon was once...
Films are best torrented anyway.
Post by Joe
unstables fed and watered, and I think that's a lot.
I've downloaded 20GB in one hour. How can you only use that per month?!=

-- =

I consider exercise vulgar, it makes people smell. -- Alec Yuill Thornto=
The Peeler
2017-09-09 20:40:34 UTC
On Sat, 09 Sep 2017 21:15:29 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),
Post by James Wilkinson Sword
I've downloaded 20GB in one hour. How can you only use that per month?!
Yes, Birdbrain, not everyone can be as "smart" as you are, Birdbrain! <B>
--
More details from Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic
"life":
(Courtesy of Mr Pounder)
Ian Jackson
2017-09-09 12:20:02 UTC
Post by Norman Wells
Post by Ian Jackson
Is it not a good idea to have set up several news servers that you
can use? I have seven - one provided by my ISP, one pay-for 10 euro
per year), and five free (including ES). All are active (although
four are maybe only used for one newsgroup). My mail/news client
(Turnpike) warns when any of the servers is not responding, and it's
only a minute's work to determine which it is. I can then set the
newsgroup(s) affected to use one the other news servers instead.
That sounds absurdly complicated and unnecessary to me.
For you, I suppose it could be!
Post by Norman Wells
What's wrong with using just the one you pay for, which I assume is
news.individual.net? Have you known it ever go wrong for any length of
time?
The reason I have a number of servers to access is partly historical.

Some years ago, as part of a programme of continually improving its
service to its loyal customers, my ISP (Demon and its successors -
currently Vodafone) decide to ditch its part-of-the-package news server.
Fortunately, there were some alternatives, ES being one of the best -
and free. However, as backup, I also found another couple of freebies. I
also eventually decided to sign up for the pay-for NIN.

When Demonfone decided last year to cut its service to zero, and ceased
providing even an email service, I moved to Plusnet - and this gained me
another part-of-the-package news server. As a result, I now have a
collection of seven. I've got them sitting there in my News Collection
configuration, and while I suppose I could delete two or three, unless
you wish to advise me otherwise I can't see any particular virtue in
doing so.
Ian
Norman Wells
2017-09-09 12:46:14 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Norman Wells
[...]
I can only say from my experience that NIN works. Why have different
newsgroups on different systems when you could have them all together on
one that works?
Col
2017-09-09 12:57:21 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Omega
[...]
Why not simply use Google Groups if your favourite news server isn't
working? OK it's not ideal but news.individual.net doesn't work in the
Middle East so when I am there I just use Google Groups.
--
Col

Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
Ian Jackson
2017-09-09 13:27:29 UTC
Post by Col
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Omega
[...]
Goggle Groups used to work tolerably well - and then, about 5 years ago,
one of their ongoing 'improvements' rendered it pretty well unusable.
The only time I ever see it is when someone posts a link to something in
GG.
Ian
Phi
It's not that important to me.
tim...
2017-09-09 16:30:45 UTC
Post by Omega
Anyone else having problems with Eternal September this week?
I understand they have replaced their servers earlier than planned.
My service was off entirely for the first two or three days earlier this
week, then service was sporadic for some more days.
At the moment there is a service but crawls along when trying to download
messages. Occasionally messages have refused to upload.
Bloody frustrating when trying to make a point or post an original.
Hope it gets back to normal soon.
It's been crap for the past 3 days

tim
omega
A. Filip
2017-09-09 16:38:06 UTC
Post by tim...
Post by Omega
Anyone else having problems with Eternal September this week?
I understand they have replaced their servers earlier than planned.
My service was off entirely for the first two or three days earlier
this week, then service was sporadic for some more days.
At the moment there is a service but crawls along when trying to
download messages. Occasionally messages have refused to upload.
Bloody frustrating when trying to make a point or post an original.
Hope it gets back to normal soon.
It's been crap for the past 3 days
I *hope* it is back to normal now.
--
A. Filip
Basil Jet
Seems to be okay again now.
Paul Pot
2017-09-09 19:02:27 UTC
Post by Omega
Anyone else having problems with Eternal September this week?
I understand they have replaced their servers earlier than planned.
My service was off entirely for the first two or three days earlier
this week, then service was sporadic for some more days.
At the moment there is a service but crawls along when trying to
download messages. Occasionally messages have refused to upload.
Bloody frustrating when trying to make a point or post an original.
Hope it gets back to normal soon.
omega
Try changing the port number. I'm using 563 with no problems.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Joe
2017-09-09 19:06:00 UTC
On Sat, 09 Sep 2017 20:02:27 +0100
Post by Paul Pot
Post by Omega
Anyone else having problems with Eternal September this week?
I understand they have replaced their servers earlier than planned.
My service was off entirely for the first two or three days earlier
this week, then service was sporadic for some more days.
At the moment there is a service but crawls along when trying to
download messages. Occasionally messages have refused to upload.
Bloody frustrating when trying to make a point or post an original.
Hope it gets back to normal soon.
omega
Try changing the port number. I'm using 563 with no problems.
Seems OK on 119 now, but it did come and go a few times. Sending still
much slower than before, but now reliable.
2017-09-11 10:43:41 UTC
Post by Omega
Anyone else having problems with Eternal September this week?
I understand they have replaced their servers earlier than planned.
My service was off entirely for the first two or three days earlier this
week, then service was sporadic for some more days.
At the moment there is a service but crawls along when trying to
download messages.  Occasionally messages have refused to upload.
Bloody frustrating when trying to make a point or post an original.
Hope it gets back to normal soon.
I sometimes get error messages because the load is too high.

An excellent alternative is news.individual.net. It's ten Euros per
year but worth every cent as it is far superior to ES. I might go back
to using it.
Ophelia
2017-09-11 11:43:29 UTC
Post by Omega
Anyone else having problems with Eternal September this week?
I understand they have replaced their servers earlier than planned.
My service was off entirely for the first two or three days earlier this
week, then service was sporadic for some more days.
At the moment there is a service but crawls along when trying to
download messages. Occasionally messages have refused to upload.
Bloody frustrating when trying to make a point or post an original.
Hope it gets back to normal soon.
I sometimes get error messages because the load is too high.

An excellent alternative is news.individual.net. It's ten Euros per
year but worth every cent as it is far superior to ES. I might go back
to using it.

==

I have been using NIN for years and will never go back to ES.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Custos Custodum
2017-09-11 13:58:01 UTC
Post by Omega
Anyone else having problems with Eternal September this week?
I understand they have replaced their servers earlier than planned.
My service was off entirely for the first two or three days earlier this
week, then service was sporadic for some more days.
At the moment there is a service but crawls along when trying to
download messages.  Occasionally messages have refused to upload.
Bloody frustrating when trying to make a point or post an original.
Hope it gets back to normal soon.
I sometimes get error messages because the load is too high.
An excellent alternative is news.individual.net. It's ten Euros per
year but worth every cent as it is far superior to ES. I might go back
to using it.
Would they let you back? ISTR them announcing a couple of years ago
that they could no longer accept new customers who weren't
tax-domiciled in Germany. Something to do with VAT law changes making
it more trouble for them than it was worth. It seems that existing
customers were able to renew without any problems.

https://news.individual.net/register/step1.php
Ophelia
2017-09-11 14:23:51 UTC
Post by Omega
[...]

Yes! I remember that!
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Ian Jackson
2017-09-11 14:59:18 UTC
Post by Custos Custodum
Post by Incubus
Post by Omega
[...]
Did they not relent?

Anyway, not to worry. Things will be SO much easier when we're not in
the EU!
Ian
Incubus
2017-09-12 12:04:25 UTC
Post by Custos Custodum
Post by Incubus
Post by Omega
[...]
I was able to register for a trial account as I couldn't remember my
previous credentials.
Ophelia
2017-09-12 15:11:42 UTC
Post by Custos Custodum
Post by Incubus
Post by Omega
[...]

Ahh that's good then!

Looks like they have changed their stance.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk