Much smaller protest in favour of Brexit supported by the far right
MM
2018-06-24 13:52:52 UTC
The few hundred who turned out yesterday to demonstrate against the
tens of thousands of pro-Remainers seem to have had a large contingent
of supporters from the far right, including the "White Pendragons"
which appears to be some kind of far right group.

Why does the far right get so involved when nationalism and populism
take the stage? UKIP isn't far away either, except that it is now
practically defunct.

MM
m***@btopenworld.com
2018-06-24 14:46:42 UTC
Post by MM
The few hundred who turned out yesterday to demonstrate against the
tens of thousands of pro-Remainers seem to have had a large contingent
of supporters from the far right, including the "White Pendragons"
which appears to be some kind of far right group.
Why does the far right get so involved when nationalism and populism
take the stage? UKIP isn't far away either, except that it is now
practically defunct.
So what? nothing like the millions who voted both ways in the referendum

The government got it's vote through the HoC that's the last obstacle removed.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2018/06/23/eu-referendum-two-years/

"Despite all this negativity, most people still think the government should go ahead with Brexit, and the overwhelming majority expect that Britain will – ultimately – end up leaving."

Of course they do. We have a long democratic tradition. Sensible Remainers acknowledge that 17.4m votes whether in a referendum or election cannot be ignored.

Roll on March 29 2019. The then EU will be part of our history. Then I believe we will see the end of Theresa May which is tragic in a sense. We should also see the end of some of those round her and a good thing too. The complexion of the UK government will change. There is no point in being a Remainer then. Application to rejoin is not even on the horizon.

Then the UK will get its trading agreement something it never could get from the inside without onerous conditions or a subscription fee being set and forfeiture of our sovereignty and independence. Things you don't care about.

The present negotiations are a waste of time and should be curtailed as soon as practicable. A new era is upon us during which we may once more take our place within a free world. Crash out is the best course to tack. Sod the buggers until they see sense just as others will do one day not so far away.
p***@gmail.com
2018-06-24 15:18:26 UTC
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by MM
[...]
Up to a point. Still potential obstacles.

Trade and immigation bills still have to be tabled, for example.

What is still very live is the nature, closeness and divergence of a future relationship. Border relationships in Ireland, Spain and Calais. Financial Services et al. What will the UK still pay to access?

A disorderly exit would still affect many sectors both in the UK and EU27/EEA.

Interesting times

Patrick
Basil Jet
2018-06-24 14:56:48 UTC
Post by MM
UKIP isn't far away either, except that it is now
practically defunct.
So why did 10,000 people join it in 12 hours last weekend?
--
Basil Jet - listening to music from 1981(G-Q) ... Gang Of Four - Gary
Numan - Glenn Branca - Grace Jones - Heaven 17 - Holger Czukay - Japan -
Schaumburg - Public Image Ltd - Pulp
Dan S. MacAbre
2018-06-24 19:55:22 UTC
Post by MM
The few hundred who turned out yesterday to demonstrate against the
tens of thousands of pro-Remainers seem to have had a large contingent
of supporters from the far right, including the "White Pendragons"
which appears to be some kind of far right group.
Why does the far right get so involved when nationalism and populism
take the stage? UKIP isn't far away either, except that it is now
practically defunct.
MM
For the same reason that the far-left get so involved whenever
internationalism and globalism take the stage. They don't realise that
protesters generally damage the cause they are protesting, since most
reasonable people think they are obsessive and subversive.