Best headline ever
Basil Jet
2018-09-20 20:30:02 UTC
"Storm Bronagh arrives in Plymouth and nearly blows a wheelie bin over"

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/storm-bronagh-arrives-plymouth-nearly-2027226
--
Basil Jet - listening... Richard Ashcroft. Richard H. Kirk. Richard
Hawley. Richard Lloyd. Ringo Starr. Rip Rig + Panic. Rival Consoles.
Murphy. Ruby Throat. Run DMC. Ry & Frank Wiedemann. Ryat.
g***@googlemail.com
2018-09-21 06:01:44 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
"Storm Bronagh arrives in Plymouth and nearly blows a wheelie bin over"
Nah. The best headline ever has stood for decades;

"Nut Screws Washer and Bolts"
abelard
2018-09-21 10:07:53 UTC
Post by g***@googlemail.com
Post by Basil Jet
"Storm Bronagh arrives in Plymouth and nearly blows a wheelie bin over"
Nah. The best headline ever has stood for decades;
"Nut Screws Washer and Bolts"
i like...fog in the channel....europe cut off
www.abelard.org
Andy Walker
2018-09-21 10:48:21 UTC
Post by g***@googlemail.com
Post by Basil Jet
"Storm Bronagh arrives in Plymouth and nearly blows a wheelie bin over"
Nah. The best headline ever has stood for decades;
"Nut Screws Washer and Bolts"
Nah. "Monty Flies Back to Front". With "Giant Waves Down Queen
Mary's Funnel" a distant second.
--
Andy Walker,
Nottingham.
JNugent
2018-09-21 11:22:08 UTC
Post by g***@googlemail.com
Post by Basil Jet
"Storm Bronagh arrives in Plymouth and nearly blows a wheelie bin over"
Nah. The best headline ever has stood for decades;
"Nut Screws Washer and Bolts"
    Nah.  "Monty Flies Back to Front".  With "Giant Waves Down Queen
Mary's Funnel" a distant second.
Fritz Spiegl (RIP) published two small books entitled "What The Papers
(Didn't Mean To) Say", absolutely full of these.

One I remember referred to an international disagreement on oriental
imports of motor vehicles:

"Chinese In Car Clash".

[I have both editions but cannot for the life of me find them on any
bookshelf at the moment. I wonder if they're among the books in
plastic-box storage out in the garage? I shall check...]
Fruitiest of Fruitcakes
2018-09-21 11:40:43 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by g***@googlemail.com
Post by Basil Jet
"Storm Bronagh arrives in Plymouth and nearly blows a wheelie bin over"
Nah. The best headline ever has stood for decades;
"Nut Screws Washer and Bolts"
Nah. "Monty Flies Back to Front". With "Giant Waves Down Queen
Mary's Funnel" a distant second.
Fritz Spiegl (RIP) published two small books entitled "What The Papers
(Didn't Mean To) Say", absolutely full of these.
You know you want to, but please don’t.
Post by JNugent
One I remember referred to an international disagreement on oriental
Oh dear...
A thread to avoid forever, methinks....
JNugent
Too late... they've been found.
g***@googlemail.com
2018-09-21 12:44:22 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by g***@googlemail.com
Post by Basil Jet
"Storm Bronagh arrives in Plymouth and nearly blows a wheelie bin over"
Nah. The best headline ever has stood for decades;
"Nut Screws Washer and Bolts"
    Nah.  "Monty Flies Back to Front".  With "Giant Waves Down Queen
Mary's Funnel" a distant second.
Fritz Spiegl (RIP) published two small books entitled "What The Papers
(Didn't Mean To) Say", absolutely full of these.
One I remember referred to an international disagreement on oriental
"Chinese In Car Clash".
I have a Chinese friend who has a pet lion.

"What do you call him?", I asked.

"Ryan....."
JNugent
That will work better with a Japanese friend (seriously).
Andy Walker
2018-09-21 15:38:06 UTC
Post by g***@googlemail.com
Post by JNugent
"Chinese In Car Clash".
I have a Chinese friend who has a pet lion.
"What do you call him?", I asked.
"Ryan....."
Ah. A candidate for the "What do you call ..." entries?
What do you call a woman with one leg shorter than the other?
"Eileen"
What do you call a Japanese[1] woman with one leg shorter than the other?
"Irene"

[1] Thanks, JN.
--
Andy Walker,
Nottingham.
JNugent
2018-09-21 16:27:11 UTC
Post by g***@googlemail.com
Post by JNugent
"Chinese In Car Clash".
I have a Chinese friend who has a pet lion.
"What do you call him?", I asked.
"Ryan....."
    Ah.  A candidate for the "What do you call ..." entries?
What do you call a woman with one leg shorter than the other?
  "Eileen"
What do you call a Japanese[1] woman with one leg shorter than the other?
  "Irene"
[1] Thanks, JN.
The first two pages of content from Fritz Spiegl, condensed onto one page:

<https://ibb.co/eg1oBe>
Custos Custodum
2018-09-21 11:35:18 UTC
Post by Andy Walker
Post by g***@googlemail.com
Post by Basil Jet
"Storm Bronagh arrives in Plymouth and nearly blows a wheelie bin over"
Nah. The best headline ever has stood for decades;
"Nut Screws Washer and Bolts"
Nah. "Monty Flies Back to Front". With "Giant Waves Down Queen
Mary's Funnel" a distant second.
"Cosmo Cantab Cuts King's Cutie"
"Bra firm goes broke"
Basil Jet
2018-09-21 13:37:04 UTC
Post by Custos Custodum
Post by Andy Walker
Post by g***@googlemail.com
Post by Basil Jet
"Storm Bronagh arrives in Plymouth and nearly blows a wheelie bin over"
Nah. The best headline ever has stood for decades;
"Nut Screws Washer and Bolts"
Nah. "Monty Flies Back to Front". With "Giant Waves Down Queen
Mary's Funnel" a distant second.
"Cosmo Cantab Cuts King's Cutie"
"Bra firm goes broke"
Bra firm goes bust, surely.

A genuine thanks to everyone who has surpassed me in this thread
[wipes tears of laughter]
Custos Custodum
2018-09-21 20:05:33 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Custos Custodum
Post by Andy Walker
Post by g***@googlemail.com
Post by Basil Jet
"Storm Bronagh arrives in Plymouth and nearly blows a wheelie bin over"
Nah. The best headline ever has stood for decades;
"Nut Screws Washer and Bolts"
Nah. "Monty Flies Back to Front". With "Giant Waves Down Queen
Mary's Funnel" a distant second.
"Cosmo Cantab Cuts King's Cutie"
"Bra firm goes broke"
Bra firm goes bust, surely.
You would have thought so. Maybe the writer thought it was more
attention-grabbing to avoid the obvious gag.
g***@googlemail.com
:-)
Handsome Jack
2018-09-21 21:21:33 UTC
Post by Andy Walker
Post by g***@googlemail.com
Post by Basil Jet
"Storm Bronagh arrives in Plymouth and nearly blows a wheelie bin over"
Nah. The best headline ever has stood for decades;
"Nut Screws Washer and Bolts"
Nah. "Monty Flies Back to Front". With "Giant Waves Down Queen
Mary's Funnel" a distant second.
On journalism courses it is taught that every story must be given a
local angle. For many years the classic example of this was cited as The
Scotsman's reporting of the Titanic disaster, under the headline
"Aberdeen Man Lost At Sea".
Jack
General Weyler
2018-09-21 15:48:18 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
"Storm Bronagh arrives in Plymouth and nearly blows a wheelie bin over"
https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/storm-bronagh-arrives-plymouth-nearly-2027226
"Eight Army Push Bottles Up German Rear"

"British left waffles on Falklands"
p***@gmail.com
2018-09-21 17:48:29 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
"Storm Bronagh arrives in Plymouth and nearly blows a wheelie bin over"
https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/storm-bronagh-arrives-plymouth-nearly-2027226
--
Basil Jet - listening... Richard Ashcroft. Richard H. Kirk. Richard
Hawley. Richard Lloyd. Ringo Starr. Rip Rig + Panic. Rival Consoles.
Rival Sons. Robert Forster. Robert Fripp & The League Of Gentlemen.
Robert Lloyd. Robert Wyatt. Robots In Disguise. Rocket From The Crypt.
Rocket From The Tombs. Rocksession. Roedelius & Schneider. Roland Kirk.
Rone. Rosa Yemen. Roxy Music. Roy Budd. Royal Trux. Rozi Plain. Róisín
Murphy. Ruby Throat. Run DMC. Ry & Frank Wiedemann. Ryat.
For those on Facebook I recommend Angry People in Local Newspapers

https://www.facebook.com/angrypeopleinlocalnewspapers/

Patrick