Before you get all paranoid about N. Korea
2017-09-05 15:16:21 UTC
Many experts are doubtful that the North has the technical expertise to
construct an ICBM with a nuclear warhead that could successfully reach its
target.
From Reuters: http://tinyurl.com/yadu4ajp

Lassina Zerbo, executive secretary of nuclear test ban watchdog CTBTO, said:
“The physics of the event that we’re talking about today seems to indicate a
much larger event than the one from 2016 and before.”

North Korea claims its intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) tested
twice in July can reach large parts of the mainland United States.

But experts say it likely achieved that potential range only by topping the
test missile with a payload lighter than any nuclear warhead it is currently
able to produce.

Pyongyang is also yet to prove that any warhead it places on a long
range-missile can survive re-entry into the earth’s atmosphere after an
intercontinental flight.

Developing a hydrogen bomb would be key to have a lighter warhead, because
that would offer much greater explosive yield relative to size and weight.

“Getting this high of a yield would likely require thermonuclear material in
the device,” said David Albright, a physicist and founder of the non-profit
Institute for Science and International Security in Washington.

“It would show that their design, whatever the specific design, has achieved
a yield that is capable of destroying modern cities.”

Albright, however, still questioned the North’s claim that it was a genuine
two-stage thermonuclear device.

North Korea said in January 2016 that it tested a miniaturized hydrogen
bomb. But outside experts said it was likely a “boosted” device, meaning an
atomic bomb which uses some hydrogen isotopes to create bigger yield.

Kim has no credibility on this issue. A photo released a few hours before
the test appears to show Kim inspecting a device.

That "device" could be a mock-up for all we know. Nor have we seen evidence
that North Korea possesses the technical wherewithal to build a workable
warhead.

But the bottom line is that the U.S. and its allies cannot take a chance
that Kim is trying to pull one over on the world. We must proceed from the
assumption that Kim has an H-Bomb and that he can fire a missile that could
hit the U.S.

In that sense, this test was a game changer in the crisis over North Korea's
nukes and adds some urgency to the decision on whether to destroy their
nuclear capability or seek a way to live with the threat.

http://tinyurl.com/ydf5pyf5
Dhu on Gate
2017-09-10 20:27:05 UTC
Many experts are doubtful that the North has the technical expertise to
construct an ICBM with a nuclear warhead that could successfully reach its
target.
ICBMs are '50s tek.

It doesn't take Turings or Oppenheimers to reverse engineer tek:
a few good hacker's will do.

Dhu