tory ignorance/wreckage: 'Incompetent, dysfunctional, disunited': Vince Cable tears into Theresa May's government
Add Reply
blah
2017-09-09 14:28:21 UTC
Thousand of anti-Brexit protesters have taken to the capitals streets, as
the People’s March for EU rally kicks off what Remain supporters have
dubbed the “Autumn of discontent”.

Pro-EU supporter Sir Bob Geldof, actor Sir Patrick Stewart and Tony
Blair’s former spin-doctor, Alastair Campbell, are among those who have
backed the event, which terminates Parliament Square, and where Sir Bob
will address the crowd.

Earlier crowds gathered at Hyde Park corner to hear speakers including
Lib Dem leader Vince Cable, who described the event as " a really great
demonstration of our support for Britain's participation in Europe.

"We've got to absolutely stop the Brexit which this rather incompetent,
disfunctional and disunited government are trying to force upon us," he
continued.

"We continue to demand that the public have a choice.

"Do we want to rush ahead, jump off a cliff, or do we want an exit from
Brexit?"

Marchers will be hoping to sway MPs set to vote on the vexed issue of the
government’s proposed EU Withdrawal bill in the House of Commons, with a
second reading set for early next week.

The vote is seen as a key test of prime minister Theresa May’s already
shaky authority, having drawn vocal criticism from with members of her
own party within the past few days.

Today’s march coincides with a number of other events planned to take
place across the UK ahead of party conference season - at a time when
Britain’s increasingly fraught negotiations with the EU have been making
headlines.

The event in London is being echoed in Manchester, where demonstrators
will march to a conference centre hosting the first day of the Tories’
annual autumn gathering.

It comes at the end of a week in which pro-EU Conservative MEP Charles
Tannock revealed he had obtained an Irish passport, and admitted he was
“ashamed to be British in many ways” following the declaration on June
24th, 2016.

Mr Tannock, who represent London in the European Parliament, lashed out
at some fellow Tories for what he termed their “arrogance, hubris, petty
nationalism and triumphalism”.

Mr Campbell has accused high-profile Leavers of misleading voters in the
run-up to last summer’s historic referendum, and claimed a second vote
would result in a win for Remain.

He said: “The Leave campaign was filled with disinformation and one huge
falsehood – the £350 million that was going to find its way into the NHS.

“That £350 million never existed. The people of the UK were misled.
Monthly reports are published on the economic impact of leaving the union
– and they are all negative.”

In an apparent breach of political convention, the marches will be
supported openly by the Lib Dems, with Carshalton and Wallington MP Tom
Brake describing Brexit as “the battle of our lives”.

Organisers have sought to bolster public support for the rally on
Facebook, with a GoFundMe page set up to raise funds garnering more than
£40,000, under the slogan “Unite, rethink and reject Brexit”.

An event spokesman said: “From soft to hard-core Remain, from ordinary
citizens to MPs, the anti-Brexit movement has one common goal - No Brexit.

“We firmly believe the UK is better off in the EU, we don’t want to see
the erosion of our civil rights, and those of future generations.

“We will get our voices heard on the international stage.

"With leading organisations, politicians and public figures behind our
cause, we will show that the British people will not be led blindly over
a cliff’s edge."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/09/anti-brexit-protesters-take-
streets-thousands-expected-london/
abelard
2017-09-09 14:36:11 UTC
On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 14:28:21 -0000 (UTC), blah
Post by blah
Thousand of anti-Brexit protesters have taken to the capitals streets, as
the People’s March for EU rally kicks off what Remain supporters have
dubbed the “Autumn of discontent”.
Pro-EU supporter Sir Bob Geldof, actor Sir Patrick Stewart and Tony
Blair’s former spin-doctor, Alastair Campbell, are among those who have
backed the event, which terminates Parliament Square, and where Sir Bob
will address the crowd.
Earlier crowds gathered at Hyde Park corner to hear speakers including
Lib Dem leader Vince Cable, who described the event as " a really great
demonstration of our support for Britain's participation in Europe.
the usual suspects, then
Vidcapper
2017-09-09 15:44:29 UTC
Post by blah
Thousand of anti-Brexit protesters have taken to the capitals streets, as
the People’s March for EU rally kicks off what Remain supporters have
dubbed the “Autumn of discontent”.
Pro-EU supporter Sir Bob Geldof, actor Sir Patrick Stewart and Tony
Blair’s former spin-doctor, Alastair Campbell, are among those who have
backed the event, which terminates Parliament Square, and where Sir Bob
will address the crowd.
Earlier crowds gathered at Hyde Park corner to hear speakers including
Lib Dem leader Vince Cable, who described the event as " a really great
demonstration of our support for Britain's participation in Europe.
"We've got to absolutely stop the Brexit which this rather incompetent,
disfunctional and disunited government are trying to force upon us," he
continued.
"We continue to demand that the public have a choice.
We made our fucking choice on 23rd Jun 2016!
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
abelard
2017-09-09 16:14:49 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by blah
[...]
yes...'but that's not fair...i should have won'
Mark, Devon
2017-09-10 10:08:06 UTC
Based upon the promise of £350m extra per week on the NHS from Day 1 after Brexit. Lying about that, if it becomes a lie, will be this government's downfall, Boris your Buffoon will again be seen as the idiot he is, followed closely by May, Davis and Fox.
Dan S. MacAbre
2017-09-09 16:40:37 UTC
Post by blah
[...]
'Tears into' :-) A paper tiger if ever there was one. But does anyone
take any notice of protests? Sorry, 'events'? You can't run a country
based on the desires of a few thousand people with nothing better to do.
MM
2017-09-10 09:16:45 UTC
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
You can't run a country
based on the desires of a few thousand people with nothing better to do.
And yet 1.2 million seems okay for changing the course of history, eh?

MM

---
http://www.avg.com
Dan S. MacAbre
2017-09-10 09:28:26 UTC
Post by MM
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
You can't run a country
based on the desires of a few thousand people with nothing better to do.
And yet 1.2 million seems okay for changing the course of history, eh?
Good response :-) But I don't think it's valid to compare a protest to
a referendum. In any case, a single person is quite able to change the
course of history.
Post by MM
MM
---
http://www.avg.com
Sid
2017-09-10 09:41:16 UTC
Post by MM
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
You can't run a country
based on the desires of a few thousand people with nothing better to do.
And yet 1.2 million seems okay for changing the course of history, eh?
Good response :-) But I don't think it's valid to compare a protest to
a referendum. In any case, a single person is quite able to change the
course of history.

Sir Nigel Farage Prime Minister did.

MM
2017-09-11 07:51:15 UTC
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by MM
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
You can't run a country
based on the desires of a few thousand people with nothing better to do.
And yet 1.2 million seems okay for changing the course of history, eh?
Good response :-) But I don't think it's valid to compare a protest to
a referendum. In any case, a single person is quite able to change the
course of history.
But the referendum WAS seen by many of the generally discontented as a
protest vote, and no one expected Leave to win. Not even Nigel Farage.

MM

---
http://www.avg.com
Dan S. MacAbre
2017-09-11 09:13:26 UTC
Post by MM
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by MM
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
You can't run a country
based on the desires of a few thousand people with nothing better to do.
And yet 1.2 million seems okay for changing the course of history, eh?
Good response :-) But I don't think it's valid to compare a protest to
a referendum. In any case, a single person is quite able to change the
course of history.
But the referendum WAS seen by many of the generally discontented as a
protest vote, and no one expected Leave to win. Not even Nigel Farage.
Well, the polls were in remain's favour, so it was a bit of a surprise.
Very much of a surprise on the morning, in fact. But since the leavers
were characterised as racist politician-murderers by the media, how can
one then expect the polls to be accurate? The election in the US shows
what happens when one side vilifies the other. You motivate the other
side, and make them 'shy', and then get a surprise result.
Post by MM
MM
---
http://www.avg.com
Joe
2017-09-11 16:16:45 UTC
On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 08:51:15 +0100
Post by MM
But the referendum WAS seen by many of the generally discontented as a
protest vote, and no one expected Leave to win. Not even Nigel Farage.
I expected Remain to win, though I was fairly sure Leave would get more
votes. I did say shortly afterwards that the utterly stunned reaction
of Cameron and others suggested that it had been fixed but something
went wrong.

They were people who been not just hopeful, but absolutely *certain* of
winning.
MM
2017-09-12 11:24:56 UTC
Post by MM
But the referendum WAS seen by many of the generally discontented as a
protest vote, and no one expected Leave to win. Not even Nigel Farage.
I expected Remain to win, though I was fairly sure Leave would get more
votes. I did say shortly afterwards that the utterly stunned reaction
of Cameron and others suggested that it had been fixed but something
went wrong.
They were people who been not just hopeful, but absolutely *certain* of
winning.
That's why he ran from Downing Street faster than the Number Ten cat.

MM

---
http://www.avg.com

Incubus
2017-09-11 13:19:12 UTC
Post by blah
Thousand of anti-Brexit protesters have taken to the capitals streets, as
the People’s March for EU rally kicks off what Remain supporters have
dubbed the “Autumn of discontent”.
Pro-EU supporter Sir Bob Geldof, actor Sir Patrick Stewart and Tony
Blair’s former spin-doctor, Alastair Campbell, are among those who have
backed the event, which terminates Parliament Square, and where Sir Bob
will address the crowd.
All of them men of the people, no doubt.
Post by blah
Earlier crowds gathered at Hyde Park corner to hear speakers including
Lib Dem leader Vince Cable, who described the event as " a really great
demonstration of our support for Britain's participation in Europe.
"We've got to absolutely stop the Brexit which this rather incompetent,
disfunctional and disunited government are trying to force upon us," he
continued.
Didn't he get the memo? There was a referendum.
Post by blah
"We continue to demand that the public have a choice.
We did and we made it.
Post by blah
"Do we want to rush ahead, jump off a cliff, or do we want an exit from
Brexit?"
Remaining in the EU is like wading into quicksand.