Trump steel tariffs may leave these U.S. steelworkers jobless
BurfordTJustice
2018-03-12 11:30:46 UTC
The mother's lawyer, David Thomas, said: "The catastrophic chain of events
which led to Malec's near death and horrendous injuries were completely
avoidable if the hospital trust had followed its own sepsis protocol."

Perhaps it is time to ban doctors.

========

UK Mom has arm, fingers, both legs cut off after doctors failed to spot
deadly disease

A mother of two reportedly is suing an English hospital after doctors didn't
realize she was suffering from a life-threatening condition, resulting in
multiple limb amputations which she now is calling "a fight for life."

Magdalena Malec, 31, had both of her legs amputated after contracting
sepsis - "the body's extreme response to an infection" - at the Luton and
Dunstable University Hospital in Luton, the South West News Service (SWNS)
reported.

She also had her right arm and the fingers on her left hand removed
following the situation, which hospital officials reportedly have said
could've
been avoided.

Malec, according to the news service, was told she suffered a miscarriage
just weeks after learning she was pregnant with her third child in December
2014.
After being sent home from the emergency room with painkillers for her heavy
bleeding and stomach cramps, Malec reportedly returned to Luton and
Dunstable later that month, where she discovered she had an ectopic
pregnancy - in which a fertilized egg attaches itself to a cavity outside
the uterus - and underwent emergency surgery.

Malec, according to reports, also had to have a kidney transplant.

During recovery, Malec developed ischemia of her limbs - a lack of blood
supply to certain parts of the body, according to SWNS. Her limbs reportedly
then developed gangrene and her body tissue died, which Malec said occurred
after hospital staff didn't recognize the warning signs of her sepsis.

Six months later, she had surgery to remove her limbs and returned to the
hospital three times a week for dialysis.

"Nothing will restore what I had. I will never paint my nails again, I will
never make a ponytail for my daughter," Malec told The Telegraph. "I do not
trust doctors and I am very skeptical about all medical appointments and
diagnoses."

Malec, mother to a nine and seven-year-old, said she now has to relearn how
to live her life.
"I am learning how to live with pain. Going out and coping with the way
people look at me is very difficult, and so is self-acceptance," Malec said.

The mother's lawyer, David Thomas, said: "The catastrophic chain of events
which led to Malec's near death and horrendous injuries were completely
avoidable if the hospital trust had followed its own sepsis protocol."

"There were a number of missed opportunities or 'red flags' which were not
acted upon until it was too late," Thomas said. "If diagnosed early enough,
sepsis is easily treated with antibiotics but despite recent awareness
campaigns, mistakes such as this are still happening. It's tragic.''

The National Health Service (NHS) reportedly has apologized for missing the
warning signs, and acknowledged that Malec's amputations could've been
avoided.
"There were missed opportunities to recognize the progressive clinical
deterioration of Malec and act accordingly, including the timely
administration of antibiotics," the hospital said, according to SWNS. "We
convey our sincere apologies to Malec and we recognize the care provided
fell below the standards we strive for."

Malec since has received in the meantime an "interim payment" - it's unclear
from whom - ahead of her lawsuit.

"Bod" <***@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:***@mid.individual.net...
: FARRELL, Penn. (Reuters) - Mick Lang has been a steelworker for nearly
: 40 years and voted for businessman Donald Trump in the hopes he would
: bring about a renaissance for the long-suffering U.S. steel industry -
: now he worries President Trump's tariffs on imports of the metal will
: cost him his job.
:
:
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-usa-trade-steel-jobs/trump-steel-tariffs-may-leave-these-u-s-steelworkers-jobless-idUKKCN1GL2V7

[...]