The genesis of a "basic right"....
True Blue
2017-08-14 10:06:42 UTC
"Scotland could become the first country in the world to introduce free sanitary products for women.

Labour MSP Monica Lennon wants to introduce a universal system of free provision of sanitary products across Scotland, leading the way in eradicating so-called "period poverty".

Ms Lennon is launching a consultation on a members' bill and if it is successful, it could see Scottish schools, colleges and universities offer free sanitary care in their toilets.

The move comes after a series of reports revealed young women are using socks and toilet paper, and sometimes staying away from school during their period because they do not have the money to buy tampons or towels."

http://news.sky.com/story/will-scotland-become-first-country-to-end-period-poverty-10988056
Dan S. MacAbre
2017-08-14 10:19:58 UTC
Post by True Blue
"Scotland could become the first country in the world to introduce free sanitary products for women.
Basil Jet
2017-08-14 10:22:20 UTC
Post by True Blue
"Scotland could become the first country in the world to introduce free sanitary products for women.
Labour MSP Monica Lennon wants to introduce a universal system of free provision of sanitary products across Scotland, leading the way in eradicating so-called "period poverty".
Ms Lennon is launching a consultation on a members' bill and if it is successful, it could see Scottish schools, colleges and universities offer free sanitary care in their toilets.
The move comes after a series of reports revealed young women are using socks and toilet paper, and sometimes staying away from school during their period because they do not have the money to buy tampons or towels."
http://news.sky.com/story/will-scotland-become-first-country-to-end-period-poverty-10988056
Surely they need to give women free handbags as well so they have
somewhere to carry the tampons.
g***@walkerlincoln.co.uk
Give it time.... :-)
abelard
2017-08-14 12:36:33 UTC
Post by g***@walkerlincoln.co.uk
Post by Basil Jet
Post by True Blue
[...]
they will need a car to carry the handbag...and a chauffeur to
drive it
www.abelard.org
Ophelia
2017-08-14 20:33:04 UTC
"True Blue" wrote in message news:3f7976d4-c9be-4631-b0dd-***@googlegroups.com...

"Scotland could become the first country in the world to introduce free
sanitary products for women.

Labour MSP Monica Lennon wants to introduce a universal system of free
provision of sanitary products across Scotland, leading the way in
eradicating so-called "period poverty".

Ms Lennon is launching a consultation on a members' bill and if it is
successful, it could see Scottish schools, colleges and universities offer
free sanitary care in their toilets.

The move comes after a series of reports revealed young women are using
socks and toilet paper, and sometimes staying away from school during their
period because they do not have the money to buy tampons or towels."

http://news.sky.com/story/will-scotland-become-first-country-to-end-period-poverty-10988056

==

Aye we all get free prescriptions too. I wonder if all that will continue
if we become independent!
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Andy Walker
2017-08-14 21:58:09 UTC
Aye we all get free prescriptions too. I wonder if all that will
continue if we become independent!
Practically everyone [fsvo] gets them free in the rest of
the UK as well. They're free if you're young, old, poor, expecting,
seriously ill or living in Wales/NI/Scotland -- IOW, every group that
statistically needs lots of prescriptions. The remaining 10% are
almost all paid for by those who are in any case contributing most
to taxation, so would have to make up the shortfall if their own
prescriptions became free.

Whether they *should* be free is another debate. I think the
more important debate is whether visits to your GP should be free.
Allegedly, there are far too many missed appointments and trivial
visits, both of which would be greatly reduced by even a 50p charge.
--
Andy Walker,
Nottingham.
Joe
2017-08-15 07:57:35 UTC
On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 22:58:09 +0100
Post by Andy Walker
Whether they *should* be free is another debate. I think the
more important debate is whether visits to your GP should be free.
Allegedly, there are far too many missed appointments and trivial
visits, both of which would be greatly reduced by even a 50p charge.
Or alternatively, by making it much more difficult to actually get an
appointment, particularly within the next fortnight. No doubt, many of
the reasons for visiting the doctor have cleared up by then.

Actually, the 'missed appointments' rather irritates me. I am of an age
where I've clocked up a fair number of visits to GP or consultant over
the years, and I have found it *extremely* rare to be called in to see
the doctor less than one time slot, i.e. ten minutes, later than the
appointed time. Even for the first appointment of the day. It's not
just me, out-patient clinics have boards showing how late each
consultant is running, and 'on time' is not something you see often for
even one of them.

So if I ever missed an appointment (as I did once, years ago), all that
would happen is that the appointments later than mine would be delayed
by ten minutes less, and presumably the doctor would do ten minutes less
unpaid overtime at the end of the day. The picture of expensive doctors
and equipment, not to mention nurses, sitting around in an idle office
waiting forlornly for someone to turn up is not something I'd expect to
see happen more than once a year per hospital, if that often.

So I'll have more respect for the '102 appointments missed last month'
signs if they also quote the total number of patient-hours by which
appointments were late. While many patients are retired, many are not,
and even the retired ones sometimes have other things to do than wait
for hour-late appointments. One consultant once commented to me that my
blood pressure seemed a little high, and I replied that the appointment
was running an hour and forty minutes late. We moved on...
Joe
Ophelia
2017-08-15 08:46:08 UTC
Aye we all get free prescriptions too. I wonder if all that will
continue if we become independent!
Practically everyone [fsvo] gets them free in the rest of
the UK as well. They're free if you're young, old, poor, expecting,
seriously ill or living in Wales/NI/Scotland -- IOW, every group that
statistically needs lots of prescriptions. The remaining 10% are
almost all paid for by those who are in any case contributing most
to taxation, so would have to make up the shortfall if their own
prescriptions became free.

Whether they *should* be free is another debate. I think the
more important debate is whether visits to your GP should be free.
Allegedly, there are far too many missed appointments and trivial
visits, both of which would be greatly reduced by even a 50p charge.

Andy Walker,

===

I agree and I would have no problem with that. I ought to have added too
that (as you almost certainly know) we get free uni tuition! I wonder who
would pay for that if the time comes?

Now they are giving all new mothers a a free package too:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/scotland-baby-boxes-nicola-sturgeon-speech-live-snp-conference-a7363256.html
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
abelard
2017-08-15 10:10:24 UTC
Post by Andy Walker
Allegedly, there are far too many missed appointments and trivial
visits, both of which would be greatly reduced by even a 50p charge.
oafie...
Post by Andy Walker
I agree and I would have no problem with that.
tolerance and generosity unlimited
www.abelard.org
Incubus
2017-08-15 09:07:53 UTC
Post by True Blue
[...]
Where are my free razor blades? Gillette Super Stainless or Platinum
Plus for me, thanks.
Ian Jackson
2017-08-15 09:41:42 UTC
Post by Incubus
Where are my free razor blades? Gillette Super Stainless or Platinum
Plus for me, thanks.
They are optional. There won't be any unpleasant disasters of you don't
have access to them when you need them..
Ian
Incubus
2017-08-15 09:49:23 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Incubus
Where are my free razor blades? Gillette Super Stainless or Platinum
Plus for me, thanks.
They are optional.
Excuse me but I need to distance myself from the current hipster trend.
Why are you attacking my sense of identity?
Post by Ian Jackson
There won't be any unpleasant disasters of you don't
have access to them when you need them..
One could say the same for clothing, toilet paper, a receptacle for my
urine &c.
Dan S. MacAbre
2017-08-15 09:53:38 UTC
Post by Incubus
Post by Ian Jackson
There won't be any unpleasant disasters of you don't have access to
them when you need them..
One could say the same for clothing, toilet paper, a receptacle for my
urine &c.
These disposable sanitary towels are surely an ecological disaster. I
bet there's a market for washable ones. You know, like nappies used to be.
Incubus
2017-08-15 10:10:30 UTC
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by Incubus
Post by Ian Jackson
There won't be any unpleasant disasters of you don't have access to
them when you need them..
One could say the same for clothing, toilet paper, a receptacle for my
urine &c.
These disposable sanitary towels are surely an ecological disaster. I
bet there's a market for washable ones. You know, like nappies used to be.
This is somewhat tangential but I read a vampire novel recently where a
revenant left the graveyard where he was buried after being believed to
be dead (something had awoken him as he was in fact in slumber). He
headed to a nearby building and there encountered a woman who had her
menses. The vampire removed her clothing and proceeded to suck the
menstrual blood from her pudenda in order to revive himself without
harming her, which led to her having a powerful orgasm.

Back to the topic, however, I believe it depends on how heavy one's flow
is. Cotton will only absorb so much and won't retain its contents.
Dan S. MacAbre
2017-08-15 10:25:14 UTC
Post by Incubus
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by Incubus
Post by Ian Jackson
There won't be any unpleasant disasters of you don't have access to
them when you need them..
One could say the same for clothing, toilet paper, a receptacle for my
urine &c.
These disposable sanitary towels are surely an ecological disaster. I
bet there's a market for washable ones. You know, like nappies used to be.
This is somewhat tangential but I read a vampire novel recently where a
revenant left the graveyard where he was buried after being believed to
be dead (something had awoken him as he was in fact in slumber). He
headed to a nearby building and there encountered a woman who had her
menses. The vampire removed her clothing and proceeded to suck the
menstrual blood from her pudenda in order to revive himself without
harming her, which led to her having a powerful orgasm.
A handy snack, no doubt. Leaving aside the whole supernatural aspect,
it doesn't sound too different to the Hells Angels genre books that used
to get passed around school when I was a lad. Except that there was not
so much of a nutritional element.
Post by Incubus
Back to the topic, however, I believe it depends on how heavy one's flow
is. Cotton will only absorb so much and won't retain its contents.
I'm by no means an expert on the matter, but if they made them big
enough... I think we need to move away from a society where everything
is disposable. This would be a great gesture on behalf of the fairer sex.
True Blue
You'd certainly want to wash your whites separately....
Dan S. MacAbre
2017-08-15 11:48:42 UTC
Post by True Blue
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by Incubus
Post by Ian Jackson
There won't be any unpleasant disasters of you don't have access to
them when you need them..
One could say the same for clothing, toilet paper, a receptacle for my
urine &c.
These disposable sanitary towels are surely an ecological disaster. I
bet there's a market for washable ones. You know, like nappies used to be.
You'd certainly want to wash your whites separately....
From what I've learned from washing clothes with blood stains (not that
I have to do this regularly, you understand), you also need to wash them
cold. Otherwise it seems to get 'cooked' into the fabric.
abelard
2017-08-15 11:55:22 UTC
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
From what I've learned from washing clothes with blood stains (not that
I have to do this regularly, you understand), you also need to wash them
cold. Otherwise it seems to get 'cooked' into the fabric.
aren't they throwing is so many chemicals to enhance the environment
that the clothes disappear after 3 washes?
www.abelard.org
Dan S. MacAbre
2017-08-15 11:59:02 UTC
Post by abelard
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
From what I've learned from washing clothes with blood stains (not that
I have to do this regularly, you understand), you also need to wash them
cold. Otherwise it seems to get 'cooked' into the fabric.
aren't they throwing is so many chemicals to enhance the environment
that the clothes disappear after 3 washes?
I get my stuff from Marks and Spencer; and if it lasts less than fifteen
years, I get pretty upset I can tell you.
abelard
2017-08-15 12:04:37 UTC
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by abelard
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
From what I've learned from washing clothes with blood stains (not that
I have to do this regularly, you understand), you also need to wash them
cold. Otherwise it seems to get 'cooked' into the fabric.
aren't they throwing is so many chemicals to enhance the environment
that the clothes disappear after 3 washes?
I get my stuff from Marks and Spencer; and if it lasts less than fifteen
years, I get pretty upset I can tell you.
yes, but that's because you don't wash them!
www.abelard.org
Dan S. MacAbre
Of course not - the missus washes them. Too often, for my liking.
abelard
2017-08-15 12:10:39 UTC
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by abelard
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by abelard
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
From what I've learned from washing clothes with blood stains (not that
I have to do this regularly, you understand), you also need to wash them
cold. Otherwise it seems to get 'cooked' into the fabric.
aren't they throwing is so many chemicals to enhance the environment
that the clothes disappear after 3 washes?
I get my stuff from Marks and Spencer; and if it lasts less than fifteen
years, I get pretty upset I can tell you.
yes, but that's because you don't wash them!
Of course not - the missus washes them. Too often, for my liking.
if she's using 'chemicals'...one day you'll check and find bits
missing...are you sure it's not a plot?
www.abelard.org
Dan S. MacAbre
2017-08-15 12:19:33 UTC
Post by abelard
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by abelard
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by abelard
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
From what I've learned from washing clothes with blood stains (not that
I have to do this regularly, you understand), you also need to wash them
cold. Otherwise it seems to get 'cooked' into the fabric.
aren't they throwing is so many chemicals to enhance the environment
that the clothes disappear after 3 washes?
I get my stuff from Marks and Spencer; and if it lasts less than fifteen
years, I get pretty upset I can tell you.
yes, but that's because you don't wash them!
Of course not - the missus washes them. Too often, for my liking.
if she's using 'chemicals'...one day you'll check and find bits
missing...are you sure it's not a plot?
I think she just enjoys it, TBH. I've managed to persuade her to use
soda crystals for my clothes, and now she uses white vinegar (I get
glacial acetic acid off ebay, and dilute it) instead of conditioner for
everything. I probably wouldn't notice any difference if she used
nothing at all (and I quite like towels that aren't floppy), but she's
quite convinced that white vinegar works well.
abelard
2017-08-15 12:32:22 UTC
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by abelard
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by abelard
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by abelard
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
From what I've learned from washing clothes with blood stains (not that
[...]
in france every village has a washerama when the women spend
mornings beating the 'dirt' out of the clothes...

it keeps them busy and off the streets but i've noticed lately they
are shirking their duties and very few are using the nowadays

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/POSTCARD-CARTE-POSTALE-DAX-LE-LAVOIR-DEAU-CHAUDE-/381609474029?hash=item58d9b277ed:g:lJEAAOSwYmZXEHPq

dax has hot springs so they are particularly coddled
www.abelard.org
Dan S. MacAbre
2017-08-15 12:41:41 UTC
Post by abelard
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by abelard
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by abelard
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by abelard
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
From what I've learned from washing clothes with blood stains (not that
[...]
A nice communal way of doing it, but nowadays I think people would be
ashamed to 'wash their dirty linen in public' as the saying goes. I
expect linen is still popular in France - I believe Napoleon was unable
to find a good way to mass-produce cotton. Can't stand linen, myself.
abelard
2017-08-15 14:27:06 UTC
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by abelard
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by abelard
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by abelard
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by abelard
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
From what I've learned from washing clothes with blood stains (not that
[...]
i blame it on men for inventing soap powder and washing machines...
destroying communities
more power to women people
www.abelard.org
Ophelia