Trump deserves credit for Korea talks
James Harris
2018-01-10 14:31:58 UTC
South Korea's President Moon Jae-in says his US counterpart, Donald
Trump, "deserves big credit" for talks between South and North Korea.

The talks, held on Tuesday, were the first in two years and led to the
announcement that North Korea would send a delegation to the Olympics in
Pyeongchang later this year.

Mr Moon said he wanted to show Mr Trump his gratitude.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-42636101

Some of that could be Asian politeness but I think it's worth pointing
out that if the American president had been reticent and conciliatory,
as some liberals wanted him to be, then Kim would not have been pressured.

Trump saying he had a bigger button and that it worked might have
confused liberals but was very much the kind of language that Kim would
understand. He doesn't want to be bombed any more than anyone else does.

Dealing with bullies like Kim needs strength, not weakness.

James Harris
Ophelia
2018-01-12 11:10:23 UTC
"James Harris" wrote in message news:p35851$qu1$***@dont-email.me...

[...]

===

If South Korea is so grateful it would seem that Trump in spot on:)

Incidentally, the author of 'that' book thought he could topple him! Seems
to have died down:)

I know many don't like Trump but I think he is working as he promised, For
America First! How can that be bad?

I have read about Americans now having jobs and money they didn't have
before because of his actions. I like also how he is working very carefully
on all the money being send to other countries and stopping it if he thinks
it is wasted:) Good for him I say:))

I hear he is now complaining about the new Embassy. Obama wasn't so careful
with American dollars was he? Good for Trump, I say.
James Harris
2018-01-12 17:06:32 UTC
On 12/01/2018 11:10, Ophelia wrote:

> If South Korea is so grateful it would seem that Trump in spot on:)
>
> Incidentally, the author of 'that' book thought he could topple him! Seems
> to have died down:)
>
> I know many don't like Trump but I think he is working as he promised, For
> America First! How can that be bad?
>
> I have read about Americans now having jobs and money they didn't have
> before because of his actions. I like also how he is working very carefully
> on all the money being send to other countries and stopping it if he thinks
> it is wasted:) Good for him I say:))

Yes, Trump is _doing_ some good things and _saying_ some things which
are slightly off colour - but not much, to be honest. Nevertheless, the
morality police - aka the Left - have got their priorities completely
wrong and are far more concerned with speech than actions.

To them, virtue signalling is more important than virtue. They are
driving this country into a sorry and shrill place. And IMO they need to
be exposed and resisted.

> I hear he is now complaining about the new Embassy. Obama wasn't so careful
> with American dollars was he? Good for Trump, I say.

According to a guest on Sky News earlier, the new embassy was signed off
before Obama took office so Trump may be wrong if he is claiming it was
Obama's choice.

James Harris
Dan S. MacAbre
2018-01-12 17:17:52 UTC
James Harris wrote:
> On 12/01/2018 11:10, Ophelia wrote:

>> If South Korea is so grateful it would seem that Trump in spot on:)
>>
>> Incidentally, the author of 'that' book thought he could topple him!
>> Seems
>> to have died down:)
>>
>> I know many don't like Trump but I think he is working as he promised,
>> For
>> America First! How can that be bad?
>>
>> I have read about Americans now having jobs and money they didn't have
>> before because of his actions. I like also how he is working very
>> carefully
>> on all the money being send to other countries and stopping it if he
>> thinks
>> it is wasted:) Good for him I say:))
>
> Yes, Trump is _doing_ some good things and _saying_ some things which
> are slightly off colour - but not much, to be honest. Nevertheless, the
> morality police - aka the Left - have got their priorities completely
> wrong and are far more concerned with speech than actions.
>
> To them, virtue signalling is more important than virtue. They are
> driving this country into a sorry and shrill place. And IMO they need to
> be exposed and resisted.
>

>> I hear he is now complaining about the new Embassy. Obama wasn't so
>> careful
>> with American dollars was he? Good for Trump, I say.
>
> According to a guest on Sky News earlier, the new embassy was signed off
> before Obama took office so Trump may be wrong if he is claiming it was
> Obama's choice.

Is this what it's come down to? Compared to what's been done in the
name of the US in the past, this is just tittle-tattle. Imagine what
they'd be saying if, on learning that Gadaffi had been killed, he'd said
'We came, we saw, he died'. Hillary says it, and it passes without comment.
JNugent
2018-01-12 17:42:14 UTC

[ ... ]

What about the site of the existing embassy being solf off cheaply?
johnny-knowall
2018-01-12 17:49:46 UTC
On 12 Jan 2018, JNugent wrote
(in article <***@mid.individual.net>):

That was because it was listed after the US made public their sale plans.
JNugent
2018-01-12 21:38:28 UTC
On 12/01/2018 17:49, johnny-knowall wrote:

> On 12 Jan 2018, JNugent wrote
> (in article <***@mid.individual.net>):
>> On 12/01/2018 17:06, James Harris wrote:
>>
>> [ ... ]
>>
>>> According to a guest on Sky News earlier, the new embassy was signed off
>>> before Obama took office so Trump may be wrong if he is claiming it was
>>> Obama's choice.
>>
>> What about the site of the existing embassy being solf off cheaply?
>
> That was because it was listed after the US made public their sale plans.

The (current/former) USA Embassy in Grosvenor Square, completed and
occupied in 1960 (and looking like it) is a *listed* building?

Someone had better tell the Quatari company which bought it - they plan
to remodel it into a hotel.
johnny-knowall
2018-01-12 21:49:27 UTC
On 12 Jan 2018, JNugent wrote
(in article <***@mid.individual.net>):

> On 12/01/2018 17:49, johnny-knowall wrote:
>
> > On 12 Jan 2018, JNugent wrote
> > (in article <***@mid.individual.net>):
> > > On 12/01/2018 17:06, James Harris wrote:
> > >
> > > [ ... ]

> > > What about the site of the existing embassy being solf off cheaply?
> >
> > That was because it was listed after the US made public their sale plans.
>
> The (current/former) USA Embassy in Grosvenor Square, completed and
> occupied in 1960 (and looking like it) is a *listed* building?
>

> Someone had better tell the Quatari company which bought it - they plan
> to remodel it into a hotel.

Only the facade is listed, not the internal structure and decor of the
building.

The Qataris have recently been given planning permission. Presumably, their
hotel conversion does not include altering the outside walls.
JNugent
2018-01-12 22:42:18 UTC
On 12/01/2018 21:49, johnny-knowall wrote:
> On 12 Jan 2018, JNugent wrote
> (in article <***@mid.individual.net>):
>
>> On 12/01/2018 17:49, johnny-knowall wrote:
>>
>>> On 12 Jan 2018, JNugent wrote
>>> (in article <***@mid.individual.net>):

>>> That was because it was listed after the US made public their sale plans.
>>
>> The (current/former) USA Embassy in Grosvenor Square, completed and
>> occupied in 1960 (and looking like it) is a *listed* building?
>>

>> Someone had better tell the Quatari company which bought it - they plan
>> to remodel it into a hotel.
>
> Only the facade is listed, not the internal structure and decor of the
> building.
>
> The Qataris have recently been given planning permission. Presumably, their
> hotel conversion does not include altering the outside walls.

The facade will presumably only be the side which faces the square
(minue the eagle).
Ophelia
2018-01-12 21:57:17 UTC
"JNugent" wrote in message news:***@mid.individual.net...

On 12/01/2018 17:49, johnny-knowall wrote:

> On 12 Jan 2018, JNugent wrote
> (in article <***@mid.individual.net>):
>> On 12/01/2018 17:06, James Harris wrote:
>>
>> [ ... ]
>>
>>> According to a guest on Sky News earlier, the new embassy was signed off
>>> before Obama took office so Trump may be wrong if he is claiming it was
>>> Obama's choice.
>>
>> What about the site of the existing embassy being solf off cheaply?
>
> That was because it was listed after the US made public their sale plans.

The (current/former) USA Embassy in Grosvenor Square, completed and
occupied in 1960 (and looking like it) is a *listed* building?

Someone had better tell the Quatari company which bought it - they plan
to remodel it into a hotel.

==

LOL what are their chances??
johnny-knowall
2018-01-12 22:05:54 UTC
On 12 Jan 2018, Ophelia wrote
(in article <***@mid.individual.net>):

> "JNugent" wrote in message news:***@mid.individual.net...
>
> On 12/01/2018 17:49, johnny-knowall wrote:
>
> > On 12 Jan 2018, JNugent wrote
> > (in article <***@mid.individual.net>):
> > > On 12/01/2018 17:06, James Harris wrote:
> > >
> > > [ ... ]

> > > What about the site of the existing embassy being solf off cheaply?
> >
> > That was because it was listed after the US made public their sale plans.
>
> The (current/former) USA Embassy in Grosvenor Square, completed and
> occupied in 1960 (and looking like it) is a *listed* building?
>
> Someone had better tell the Quatari company which bought it - they plan
> to remodel it into a hotel.
>
> ==
>
> LOL what are their chances??

You can all scoff and display your ignorance as much as you like; but the
building was given grade II listed status in 2008, once the US announced its
decision to move.

I have no doubt that the Qatari conversion has been fully compliant with
it’s listed building status.

At least they are going to remove the hideous security bollards the yanks
installed after 9/11, which is far more of an improvement than the US ever
made.
Joe
2018-01-12 22:07:49 UTC
On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 21:38:28 +0000
JNugent <***@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On 12/01/2018 17:49, johnny-knowall wrote:
>
> > On 12 Jan 2018, JNugent wrote
> > (in article <***@mid.individual.net>):
> >> On 12/01/2018 17:06, James Harris wrote:
> >>
> >> [ ... ]

> >> What about the site of the existing embassy being solf off
> >> cheaply?
> >
> > That was because it was listed after the US made public their sale
> > plans.
>
> The (current/former) USA Embassy in Grosvenor Square, completed and
> occupied in 1960 (and looking like it) is a *listed* building?
>
> Someone had better tell the Quatari company which bought it - they
> plan to remodel it into a hotel.

If the sale price was significantly lower, and the chances are that it
was, then maybe whoever listed it has come up in the world a bit.

Presumably at some point, every building in the country will be
listed...

2018-01-12 21:56:09 UTC
"James Harris" wrote in message news:p3apur$i3b$***@dont-email.me...

On 12/01/2018 11:10, Ophelia wrote:

> If South Korea is so grateful it would seem that Trump in spot on:)
>
> Incidentally, the author of 'that' book thought he could topple him!
> Seems
> to have died down:)
>
> I know many don't like Trump but I think he is working as he promised, For
> America First! How can that be bad?
>
> I have read about Americans now having jobs and money they didn't have
> before because of his actions. I like also how he is working very
> carefully
> on all the money being send to other countries and stopping it if he
> thinks
> it is wasted:) Good for him I say:))

Yes, Trump is _doing_ some good things and _saying_ some things which
are slightly off colour - but not much, to be honest. Nevertheless, the
morality police - aka the Left - have got their priorities completely
wrong and are far more concerned with speech than actions.

To them, virtue signalling is more important than virtue. They are
driving this country into a sorry and shrill place. And IMO they need to
be exposed and resisted.

> I hear he is now complaining about the new Embassy. Obama wasn't so
> careful
> with American dollars was he? Good for Trump, I say.

According to a guest on Sky News earlier, the new embassy was signed off
before Obama took office so Trump may be wrong if he is claiming it was
Obama's choice.

James Harris

==

I totally agree with what you say!!! The virtue signalers are doing their
best. Sod them all!

I notice he is being vilified yet again. It doesn't seem to matter what he
says, he will be in the world news.

I just hope he keeps shrugging them off. At least he is honest in what he
thinks.

We could do with more like him:)

Perhaps he was wrong about Obama and the embassy, but he was still correct
about the waste!
Ned Latham
2018-01-12 23:41:42 UTC
On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 21:56:09 +0000, Ophelia wrote:

> Yes, Trump is _doing_ some good things...

such as...

>> Sky News ...

Yes, Sky News~

> Trump may be wrong if he is claiming...

Is not may! He is claiming many things which are always like that.

> Sod them all!

The attitude fit your bill!

> I notice he is being vilified yet again.

No need! He is doing such a good job if it himself.

> It doesn't seem to matter what
> he says, he will be in the world news.

Trump fake news machinery sees to it! After all there is such thing as
'bad' publicity for show men of his ilk.
The great unwashed soaks this up as manna from heaven.
You give a good demo anyhow!

> I just hope he keeps shrugging them off. At least he is honest in what
> he thinks.

Never doubt that, after all, like any self appreciative narcissist, he is
not cheating himself out anything good and precious one can hoard at the
expense of everyone else in this life!

> We could do with more like him:)

Might as well wish for unchecked World wide Ebola outbreak!

> Perhaps he was wrong about Obama and the embassy,

He was wrong about everything that has involved Obama.

He is a waste of space and good oxygen.
Ophelia
2018-01-13 08:04:57 UTC
"Ned Latham" wrote in message news:***@news.alt.net...

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 21:56:09 +0000, Ophelia wrote:

> Yes, Trump is _doing_ some good things...

such as...

>> Sky News ...

Yes, Sky News~

> Trump may be wrong if he is claiming...

Is not may! He is claiming many things which are always like that.

> Sod them all!

The attitude fit your bill!

> I notice he is being vilified yet again.

No need! He is doing such a good job if it himself.

> It doesn't seem to matter what
> he says, he will be in the world news.

Trump fake news machinery sees to it! After all there is such thing as
'bad' publicity for show men of his ilk.
The great unwashed soaks this up as manna from heaven.
You give a good demo anyhow!

> I just hope he keeps shrugging them off. At least he is honest in what
> he thinks.

Never doubt that, after all, like any self appreciative narcissist, he is
not cheating himself out anything good and precious one can hoard at the
expense of everyone else in this life!

> We could do with more like him:)

Might as well wish for unchecked World wide Ebola outbreak!

> Perhaps he was wrong about Obama and the embassy,

He was wrong about everything that has involved Obama.

> but he was still
> correct about the waste!

He is a waste of space and good oxygen.

==

lol How about what he said yesterday about a couple of countries being
'shit holes'? Show me where he was being 'racist'?

Please Note: A country is not a race!!!

Bloody virtue signalers.
James Harris
2018-01-13 00:14:44 UTC
On 12/01/2018 21:56, Ophelia wrote:

[On Trump]

> I notice he is being vilified yet again. It doesn't seem to matter what he
> says, he will be in the world news.

You're right. There were some comments in the first half of this week's
BBC This Week on some of the good he has done. See

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09m8xxm/this-week-11012018

To pick one example, I think they said the black unemployment rate in
America is the lowest ever.

What does that mean? It means that more black men and women have jobs
and, therefore, have boosted life chances. If those jobs are due to
Trump then he has helped people get a better life. When that's compared
with him insulting people I know which I think is more important. If
people feel insulted, tough. There's real progress to be made helping
real people.

> I just hope he keeps shrugging them off. At least he is honest in what he
> thinks.

That surprises me a little ... I wouldn't say he's notably honest, sorry!

> We could do with more like him:)

Well, we could do with more right-wing leaders, especially radical ones
and especially after a period of lefty rule that America has had. They
needed a change to shake them up a bit.

James Harris
Ned Latham
2018-01-13 00:24:04 UTC

...meanwhile on planet Earth in this reality....
johnny-knowall
2018-01-13 08:49:00 UTC
On 13 Jan 2018, Ned Latham wrote
(in article <***@news.alt.net>):

> On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 00:14:44 +0000, James Harris wrote:
>
> > .... a period of lefty rule that America has had. ...
>
> ...meanwhile on planet Earth in this reality....

Don’t worry about Numpty Trumpty too seriously.

He is actually the best recruiting sergeant that socialism has ever had.

The longer he stays in office bad-mouthing equatorial and tropical countries,
the more millions are going to resolve to vote for the socialist candidate in
every country around the world (USA and Israel excepted, of course).

In the biggest irony of all, Numpty Trumpty could be responsible for
triggering the silent global socialist revolution, and reducing the right to
a small rump of noisy and highly aggressive racists.
Ophelia
2018-01-13 10:19:26 UTC
"James Harris" wrote in message news:p3bj1p$6gm$***@dont-email.me...

On 12/01/2018 21:56, Ophelia wrote:

[On Trump]

> I notice he is being vilified yet again. It doesn't seem to matter what
> he
> says, he will be in the world news.

You're right. There were some comments in the first half of this week's
BBC This Week on some of the good he has done. See

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09m8xxm/this-week-11012018

To pick one example, I think they said the black unemployment rate in
America is the lowest ever.

What does that mean? It means that more black men and women have jobs
and, therefore, have boosted life chances. If those jobs are due to
Trump then he has helped people get a better life. When that's compared
with him insulting people I know which I think is more important. If
people feel insulted, tough. There's real progress to be made helping
real people.

> I just hope he keeps shrugging them off. At least he is honest in what he
> thinks.

That surprises me a little ... I wouldn't say he's notably honest, sorry!

* Hmm OK. It just seems to me he says what he thinks. He doesn't
seem to pussyfoot around to please everyone.

James Harris
James Harris
2018-01-13 10:58:28 UTC
On 13/01/2018 10:19, Ophelia wrote:
> "James Harris" wrote in message news:p3bj1p$6gm$***@dont-email.me...
> On 12/01/2018 21:56, Ophelia wrote:

> [On Trump]

>>> I just hope he keeps shrugging them off. At least he is honest in what he
>>> thinks.
>
>> That surprises me a little ... I wouldn't say he's notably honest, sorry!
>

> * Hmm OK. It just seems to me he says what he thinks. He doesn't
> seem to pussyfoot around to please everyone.

On that, I agree. He is willing to say what he thinks (and that's a good
thing) but he also lies frequently for his own strategic reasons. Would
you call someone who tells the plain truth sometimes and who lies other
times honest? (Rhetorical question.) I wouldn't.

One thing to add, though. There are also people around him who are
prepared to lie about him because they hate him so much. So it can be
hard to tell who is closest to the truth.

James Harris
Ophelia
2018-01-13 15:24:55 UTC
"James Harris" wrote in message news:p3cool$v65$***@dont-email.me...

On 13/01/2018 10:19, Ophelia wrote:
> "James Harris" wrote in message news:p3bj1p$6gm$***@dont-email.me...
> On 12/01/2018 21:56, Ophelia wrote:

> [On Trump]

>>> I just hope he keeps shrugging them off. At least he is honest in what
>>> he
>>> thinks.
>
>> That surprises me a little ... I wouldn't say he's notably honest, sorry!
>

> * Hmm OK. It just seems to me he says what he thinks. He doesn't
> seem to pussyfoot around to please everyone.

On that, I agree. He is willing to say what he thinks (and that's a good
thing) but he also lies frequently for his own strategic reasons. Would
you call someone who tells the plain truth sometimes and who lies other
times honest? (Rhetorical question.) I wouldn't.

One thing to add, though. There are also people around him who are
prepared to lie about him because they hate him so much. So it can be
hard to tell who is closest to the truth.

James Harris

==

You show me a politician that doesn't lie!!!

As for the people around him ... yes, they all hate him and are tying very
hard to get him out. It doesn't seem to be working though, does it? :)
Joe
2018-01-12 22:16:16 UTC
On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 17:06:32 +0000
James Harris <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/01/2018 11:10, Ophelia wrote:

> > If South Korea is so grateful it would seem that Trump in spot on:)
> >
> > Incidentally, the author of 'that' book thought he could topple
> > him! Seems to have died down:)
> >
> > I know many don't like Trump but I think he is working as he
> > promised, For America First! How can that be bad?
> >
> > I have read about Americans now having jobs and money they didn't
> > have before because of his actions. I like also how he is working
> > very carefully on all the money being send to other countries and
> > stopping it if he thinks it is wasted:) Good for him I say:))
>
> Yes, Trump is _doing_ some good things and _saying_ some things which
> are slightly off colour - but not much, to be honest. Nevertheless,
> the morality police - aka the Left - have got their priorities
> completely wrong and are far more concerned with speech than actions.
>
> To them, virtue signalling is more important than virtue.

I have this feeling that Trump is very much aware of this, and he keeps
showing them meaningless but shiny squirrels while his other hand is
actually doing something that thereby slides by with minimal protest.

2018-01-13 10:20:16 UTC