Rather Odd Delirium
Omega
2018-03-12 13:43:13 UTC
For the first time in my life I have just spent four days and nights in
bed with a raging flu and now, not much better, going into my fifth day.

Apart from the pain and aching joints and muscles I have been rather
taken aback with the delirium I have experienced. Lots of tales to
relate but this one stands out.

In my military career I have been on exchange schemes with American
Forces before in life but this is rather surreal.

I was on duty in The Whitehouse and a social 'do' was taking place.

For some reason, it was my 'honour' to stand for hours at the top of
some rather grand steps in a long, long corridor.

Many politicians passed by as well as many celebrities and most all were
rather jovial on passing, I would add, white folk far more friendly than
black folk. My delirium, I'll tell it how it was!

By and large President Trump came striding down the corridor, alone.

As some will know, it is protocol for a serving soldier to salute
officers senior to him and in this case to salute a foreign head of
State as they pass.

We Brits have our own rules on saluting as well as the International
Protocols, a serving soldier in uniform may not salute anyone unless
wearing his Regimental head dress but is required to come to attention.

As President Trump came close, I sharply came to attention but for some
reason I wasn't allowed to wear my hat so was unable to salute him and
certainly wasn't likely to give him one of those arm across the chest
salutes we frequently see civilians giving while I was dressed in the
Queens uniform.

I think he was a bit miffed and he strode by without even a glimpse!

Very strange.

omega
Incubus
2018-03-12 15:56:17 UTC
[...]
There's nothing more fascinating than hearing about what other people have
dreamed.
Vidcapper
2018-03-12 16:14:52 UTC
There's nothing more fascinating than hearing about what other people have
dreamed.
Replace 'fascinating' with uncomfortable', and you'll have my views on
it. ;)
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Woolly Jumper
2018-03-12 22:57:54 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Incubus
There's nothing more fascinating than hearing about what other people have
dreamed.
Replace 'fascinating' with uncomfortable', and you'll have my views on
it. ;)
I'm more concerned about Incubus writing dreamed rather than dreamt.

---

Thank goodness it wasn't real life:)) Hope you are feeling better now:))
Farmer Giles
2018-03-14 15:55:54 UTC
Post by Omega
[...]
Reminds me a bit of when I joined the army in the 1960s. I suppose I'd
been in my training regiment about two weeks when I was given the task
one Saturday morning of cleaning around the CO's office - we had to do
'camp duties' on Saturday mornings. There I was sweeping around the
balcony - it was one of those wooden affairs of the type you saw in the
film 'Virgin Soldiers' - when up comes the colonel, looking every inch
the smart senior officer.

He looked at me from the corner of his eye as he passed, said a quick
'good morning' and saluted me. I stood there with my broom, not knowing
quite what to do - so I did nothing. He gave me a darting look, shook
his head a little and went into his office - probably marking me down as
a hopeless case in the process. I got to know later that he was a really
good sort, a veteran of WWII and someone who had little time for 'bull'.
Had he have been otherwise I might have been in a spot of bother!