What went wrong in Witney?
MM
2016-10-21 07:40:03 UTC
The Conservatives had their majority in yesterday's Witney by-election
slashed by 15 per cent to 6,000, The Liberal Democrats came second,
so that the swing from the Tories was 19.3 per cent. For the Lib Dems
this was an astonishing 23.5 per cent improvement.

So what went wrong for the Tories?

Well, one thing that might have counted against the new MP is that he
is a Brexit supporter.

The Guardian writes:

"Liz Leffman, the Lib Dem candidate, said the result was a 'shot
across the bow' of May. 'People here don’t want to come out of the
single market, they don’t want jobs at risk and that’s what we were
voting on today. People who voted for me are traditional
Conservatives, who have voted Conservative for decades.

"'Mrs May is the new Ukip and people are not comfortable with a party
lurching in that direction.'"
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/21/witney-byelection-lib-dems-tories-slashed-majority

MM
everyone hates me
2016-10-21 08:39:03 UTC
Post by MM
[...]
She may be right in her assessment, but I would be more inclined to think that the Cameron factor has vanished. Those who liked to vote directly for the PM and were staunch remainers are not going to vote for a brexiteer quite as easily, at least until they have seen the consequences rather than the high pitched fact-less predictions by those who are still in denial.

Even more to the point, Labour is in disarray, and the LDs have always been the party for registering a protest vote even if Labour voters intending to vote LD would never dream of admitting to anyone - least of all pollsters - for fear of getting a brick through their window from left wing "activists".
--
Posted by Mimo Usenet Browser v0.2.5
http://www.mimousenet.com/mimo/post
m***@gmail.com
2016-10-21 09:11:20 UTC
A disastrous result for May, and for anyone who ever thought Brexit was a good idea. The magnitude of this result is truly astounding. All MPs, of all parties, should oppose in every way possible May's absolute stupidity in pressing on so ridiculously hastily for Brexit. She's an idiot of a PM, surrounded by idiot ministers....Fox, Johnson, Davis, to name a few.
DVH
2016-10-21 09:14:39 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
The magnitude of this result is truly astounding.
Yes, the Kuchlik tribal elders in Siberia even called a meeting to
discuss it this morning.
MM
2016-10-21 11:17:56 UTC
Post by DVH
Post by m***@gmail.com
The magnitude of this result is truly astounding.
Yes, the Kuchlik tribal elders in Siberia even called a meeting to
discuss it this morning.
Yeah, okay, Mr Googler. You're cleverer than the rest of us. We knew
already.

MM