Did anyone see that political demonstration in the Royal Albert Hall on Saturday night?
2017-09-11 19:24:16 UTC
Last night of the Prom season.

A little jingoistic perhaps but good fun can anything be more quintessentially British

Apparently blue EU flags were being handed out free by remainers to the audience as they entered from outside. EU falgs intended to spoil the effect and spectacle of "Land of Hope and Glory", Rule Britannia" and the National Anthem.

Thank God for the blue spotlights on the audience that ruined the their effect.

There have always been one or to EU flags over recent years but really doesn't this paint remainers in their true colours trying to ruin a tradition that is older than the EU itself? As I never tire of telling them, they know where the airport is!

I trust next year that all fags other than those of the British nations and the British Commonwealth, are banned from the auditorium next year,

But will they?
Ian Jackson
2017-09-11 20:00:50 UTC
[...]
Believe it or not, some people have no trouble being simultaneously
European and Loyal Red, White and Blue British. Many of us know that the
words are "Britannia rule the waves" (an imperative) - and not a
statement that "Britannia rules the waves".
Ian
abelard
2017-09-11 23:26:52 UTC
On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 21:00:50 +0100, Ian Jackson
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
[...]
you cannot serve two masters...

your reaction?
2017-09-12 07:14:03 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
[...]
My error!

Whatever the word may be it is not appropriate that the song should be sung under the European flag. A minority here were interfering the the enjoyment of the majority taking part in a long established institution for no better reason than to make a political point.

If they were prepared to queue all day then they were fully entitled to be there. There was however, an onus on them to enter into the spirit of the occasion which has nothing to do with the EU or Brexit.
Ian Jackson
2017-09-12 07:35:00 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
[...]
Those who enter into the spirit of things, and sing Rule Britannia with
great gusto are, regardless of which flag they are waving, for a brief
couple of minutes 100% British.
Ian
saracene
2017-09-12 08:08:10 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
[...]
Oswald Mosley was one.

https://www.academia.edu/5445248/Oswald_Mosley_s_Concept_of_a_United_Europe._A_Contribution_to_the_Study_of_Pan-European_Nationalism
Incubus
But soon Britannia will waive the [EU] rules.
Custos Custodum
2017-09-12 13:22:25 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
[...]
'Twas ever so. How do you think the phrase "Perfidious Albion" came
about?
Incubus
By other nations jealous of our success.
Custos Custodum
2017-09-12 22:26:34 UTC
Post by Custos Custodum
Post by Incubus
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
[...]
No doubt miffed at the underhand way that success was achieved. It
simply isn't cricket, old chap!
Incubus
2017-09-13 08:14:10 UTC
Post by Custos Custodum
Post by Incubus
Post by Custos Custodum
Post by Incubus
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
[...]
How do we differ in that regard to other nations? It seems to me that
scorn is reserved for those who are successful at it.

Vidcapper
2017-09-12 07:02:16 UTC
Last night of the Prom season.
A little jingoistic perhaps but good fun can anything be more
quintessentially British
Apparently blue EU flags were being handed out free by remainers to
the audience as they entered from outside.
It would have saved me buying toilet paper, at least. :p
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
True Blue
2017-09-12 09:29:59 UTC
Last night of the Prom season.
A little jingoistic perhaps but good fun can anything be more quintessentially British
Apparently blue EU flags were being handed out free by remainers to the audience as they entered from outside. EU falgs intended to spoil the effect and spectacle of "Land of Hope and Glory", Rule Britannia" and the National Anthem.
Thank God for the blue spotlights on the audience that ruined the their effect.
There have always been one or to EU flags over recent years but really doesn't this paint remainers in their true colours trying to ruin a tradition that is older than the EU itself? As I never tire of telling them, they know where the airport is!
I trust next year that all fags other than those of the British nations and the British Commonwealth, are banned from the auditorium next year,
But will they?
This has happened before. I remember some 10 years ago the front row of the audience had EU and UJ flags exactly alternately. An overt political statement, poisoning a great tradition.

Sovereignty is like virginity - you've either got it or you haven't. To say you're British *and* a "European" (in the way the EU wants you to be), is to misunderstand the EU project altogether.
Incubus
2017-09-12 12:16:40 UTC
On Monday, September 11, 2017 at 8:24:17 PM UTC+1,
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
[...]
Yes, but it's a convenient lie to sell to people in the meantime so that
the door gets widened.