"Free as Google" Speech: You can say whatever you want and get fired :-)
Add Reply
A. Filip
2017-08-12 05:04:40 UTC
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/11/technology/google-gender-memo-pichai-damore.html
By DAISUKE WAKABAYASHIAUG. 11, 2017
[...] The company’s decision to fire James Damore, a software engineer
who wrote the contentious memo, has angered some employees who view
his dismissal as a betrayal of this open-discourse culture. Google
said he had crossed the line “by advancing harmful gender stereotypes”
and many employees were upset about the views outlined in the
memo. [...]
--
A. Filip
Vidcapper
2017-08-12 06:39:50 UTC
Post by A. Filip
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/11/technology/google-gender-memo-pichai-damore.html
By DAISUKE WAKABAYASHIAUG. 11, 2017
[...] The company’s decision to fire James Damore, a software engineer
who wrote the contentious memo, has angered some employees who view
his dismissal as a betrayal of this open-discourse culture. Google
said he had crossed the line “by advancing harmful gender stereotypes”
and many employees were upset about the views outlined in the
memo. [...]
I am so sick of people pandering to snowflakes.
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
saracene
Future generations will be unable to understand the world if we eliminate from discourse all allegedly harmful stereotypes.
Col
2017-08-12 06:44:30 UTC
Post by A. Filip
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/11/technology/google-gender-memo-pichai-damore.html
By DAISUKE WAKABAYASHIAUG. 11, 2017
[...] The company’s decision to fire James Damore, a software engineer
who wrote the contentious memo, has angered some employees who view
his dismissal as a betrayal of this open-discourse culture. Google
said he had crossed the line “by advancing harmful gender stereotypes”
and many employees were upset about the views outlined in the
memo. [...]
Much as I disagree with most of what he said, ISTM that at Google you
are allowed to express any opinion you want as long as it is the
*correct* one.
They are engaging a lot with the Chinese at the moment, I wonder if they
squired this technique from them?
Col
Joe
2017-08-12 08:09:33 UTC
On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 07:44:30 +0100
Post by Col
Post by A. Filip
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/11/technology/google-gender-memo-pichai-damore.html
By DAISUKE WAKABAYASHIAUG. 11, 2017
[...] The company’s decision to fire James Damore, a software
engineer who wrote the contentious memo, has angered some
employees who view his dismissal as a betrayal of this
open-discourse culture. Google said he had crossed the line “by
advancing harmful gender stereotypes” and many employees were
upset about the views outlined in the memo. [...]
Much as I disagree with most of what he said, ISTM that at Google you
are allowed to express any opinion you want as long as it is the
*correct* one.
They are engaging a lot with the Chinese at the moment, I wonder if
they squired this technique from them?
No.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1325398/Euro-court-outlaws-criticism-of-EU.html

12:00AM GMT 07 Mar 2001

"The EU's top court found that the European Commission was entitled to
sack Bernard Connolly, a British economist dismissed in 1995 for
writing a critique of European monetary integration entitled The Rotten
Heart of Europe."