A letter in The Guardian
johnny-knowall
2018-01-11 13:06:38 UTC
Once again Larry Elliott hits the nail on the head with his plea for
remainers to move on (Remainers got it wrong: there is no buyer’s remorse
(https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jan/07/brexit-why-buyers-remorse-
hasnt-hit-the-uk-economy), 8 January).

Even now there is a complete reluctance to understand the true nature of the
EU. Do remainers really believe that the four freedoms to move goods,
capital, services and labour were ever introduced in the interests of
workers? The continual harping on about the lies of Brexiteers ignores the
bigger truth that the EU is, and always will be, unreformable, neoliberal and
hugely damaging to our economy. The EU treaties have allowed the capitalist
class to cut public spending, privatise, and sell our assets abroad. They
threw in a few sops in terms of workers’ rights that we could have won
ourselves through union action, to persuade us of some nonexistent liberal
aspect to the EU.

The liberal left has always been fixated on immigration and racism,
threatening us with a rightwing surge of parties like Ukip, which has never
materialised. We, as a sovereign nation, will be able to decide on our own
immigration policies.

What we need now is to wrench away the initiative from the right and come up
with an alternative workers’ sovereignty – a new Bill of Rights or
written constitution, new economic priorities. Labour and the unions have the
basic policies for this already. Jeremy Corbyn understands that we can only
move forward on his party’s manifesto outside the EU and the single market.
A mass debate on the way forward would be hugely positive and reinvigorate
the labour movement.

Sarah Ansell
Northampton
Dan S. MacAbre
2018-01-11 13:13:42 UTC
Post by johnny-knowall
[...]
Does he? He was persuaded to campaign for remain. Seems a bit
flip-floppy on the whole thing.
Northampton
abelard
2018-01-11 13:31:40 UTC
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by johnny-knowall
What we need now is to wrench away the initiative from the right and come up
with an alternative workers’ sovereignty – a new Bill of Rights or
written constitution, new economic priorities. Labour and the unions have the
basic policies for this already. Jeremy Corbyn understands that we can only
move forward on his party’s manifesto outside the EU and the single market.
Does he? He was persuaded to campaign for remain. Seems a bit
flip-floppy on the whole thing.
jerry didn't campaign for anyone..jerry never saw a bandwagon
he didn't try to crawl on to

with brexit he knew it was close so he froze
2018-01-11 13:38:14 UTC
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by johnny-knowall
What we need now is to wrench away the initiative from the right and come up
with an alternative workers’ sovereignty – a new Bill of Rights or
written constitution, new economic priorities. Labour and the unions have the
basic policies for this already. Jeremy Corbyn understands that we can only
move forward on his party’s manifesto outside the EU and the single market.
Does he? He was persuaded to campaign for remain. Seems a bit
flip-floppy on the whole thing.
jerry didn't campaign for anyone..jerry never saw a bandwagon
he didn't try to crawl on to
I think he made a few appearances trying to look enthusiastic about the
EU, but seemed unable to carry it off convincingly. Mandleson had an
epic whinge about it.
abelard
2018-01-11 13:28:27 UTC
Post by johnny-knowall
Jeremy Corbyn understands that we can only
move forward on his party’s manifesto outside the EU and the single market.
A mass debate on the way forward would be hugely positive and reinvigorate
the labour movement.
communism in country

i see corvyd has been pending time in mexico taking
advice from chavez and castro and trotsky

come the revolution
2018-01-11 14:39:27 UTC
Post by johnny-knowall
Jeremy Corbyn understands that we can only
move forward on his party’s manifesto outside the EU and the single market.
A mass debate on the way forward would be hugely positive and reinvigorate
the labour movement.
communism in country
i see corvyd has been pending time in mexico taking
advice from chavez and castro and trotsky
come the revolution
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/11/08/01/2E3601BF00000578-0-image-a-31_1446945014104.jpg
he's getting ever more blatant
2018-01-11 16:54:07 UTC
Post by johnny-knowall
[...]
The labour movement is certainly the place to find mass debaters.