Cheap pound drives best factory growth in seven years (Because of Brexit)
Add Reply
James Harris
2018-01-12 13:36:11 UTC
This is fun, especially as it's from the Times:

Cheap pound drives best factory growth in seven years

Factories are growing at the fastest pace in almost seven years after a
solid three months to November that beat all forecasts and put Britain
on track to start 2018 on a firm footing.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/business/cheap-pound-drives-best-factory-growth-in-seven-years-2l0x8g9ps

To help them out a bit, it's not just the currency. British exports are
being helped by the twin benefits of the low pound and global growth,
both of which are helping. On the currency, there's a case to be made
that the pound has long been overvalued due to governments favouring
financial markets, and that has caused the UK's financial systems and
headline wealth figures look good at the expense of substance.

The Brexit vote, rather than causing a catastrophic fall, took the fake
top of the pound's value (and maybe a bit more), and that is allowing
more substantial value-add industries to begin to re-establish
themselves. There is a long way to go as production capacity takes time
to re-form. But it's a good start.

Now, if only there were some way to keep the pound low....
James Harris
Ophelia

Hopefully that will come soon. Not before time:))
Yellow
2018-01-12 15:32:26 UTC
On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 13:36:11 +0000, James Harris <james.harris.1
Post by James Harris
[...]
I read yesterday that the reason Project Fear has not come to pass was
because consumers and businesses just do not realise how dreadful Brexit
is going to be so have kept on spending and expanding regardless.

I think it said it was quoting The Economist.

So I took that to mean they expected the economy to fail because
everyone would listen to the news that that the economy was going to
fail and that would bring the prediction about.
Dan S. MacAbre
2018-01-12 15:45:34 UTC
Post by James Harris
[...]
The Economist seems more political than, er, economical.
abelard
2018-01-12 16:17:58 UTC
Post by James Harris
[...]
sad, ain't it...
there is no useful 'news' in the fossil media...everything is tainted
James Harris
2018-01-12 17:13:17 UTC
Post by James Harris
[...]
That sounds like a story I read that economists were claiming they got
the predictions wrong because the British public didn't react properly.
The public didn't do as the economists said they should. Rotten spoil
sports, ignoring those nice clean spreadsheets!
James Harris
Dan S. MacAbre
2018-01-12 17:26:40 UTC
Post by James Harris
[...]
And then we get criticised for not having faith in the experts any more.
'The Mighty Oz has spoken.'