One for 7: BT still laying copper wires instead of optical fibre
Incubus
2017-09-14 15:28:37 UTC
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4882208/BT-laying-old-fashioned-copper-wires.html

'There is no conceivable way that this 20th-century infrastructure is
fit for a 21st-century digital economy... Why take a technology
deployed in the last century and try and stretch it to the limits of
physics to do something that is still inadequate for creating the
digital economy that we know we need?

'In parallel, you have absolutely the right technology being deployed
pretty much everywhere else in the world.'
Ade
2017-09-14 16:04:25 UTC
Post by Incubus
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4882208/BT-laying-old-fashioned-copper-wires.html
'There is no conceivable way that this 20th-century infrastructure is
fit for a 21st-century digital economy...  Why take a technology
deployed in the last century and try and stretch it to the limits of
physics to do something that is still inadequate for creating the
digital economy that we know we need?
'In parallel, you have absolutely the right technology being deployed
pretty much everywhere else in the world.'
Sounds like uneducated crap to me. The termination to the house from the
street cabinet has always been copper.
Joe
2017-09-14 16:45:10 UTC
On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 17:04:25 +0100
Post by Ade
Post by Incubus
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4882208/BT-laying-old-fashioned-copper-wires.html
'There is no conceivable way that this 20th-century infrastructure
is fit for a 21st-century digital economy...  Why take a technology
deployed in the last century and try and stretch it to the limits
of physics to do something that is still inadequate for creating
the digital economy that we know we need?
'In parallel, you have absolutely the right technology being
deployed pretty much everywhere else in the world.'
Sounds like uneducated crap to me. The termination to the house from
the street cabinet has always been copper.
Indeed, it's just a competitor doing some tyre-kicking, as the Americans
would put it. Several people offer 76Mb/s through the few yards of
copper at the end of the fibre, so 10Mb/s is hardly the limit. It's not
that hard to poke 3Gb/s down a hundred yards of copper cable.

As to whether families 'need' to download a dozen films at once... I
have asked 7 more than once which households and businesses 'need' the
1Gb/s he's always on about, but I haven't yet seen an answer. I'm aware
of a couple of types of businesses that could use that, but those
businesses can easily afford the current price from other people, and
to suggest that BT 'needs' to offer it to everyone is like saying that
the tens of millions of people in the UK should run on Central European
Time because a few thousand business people would find it more
convenient to get up an hour later.
Joe
Incubus
2017-09-14 16:50:36 UTC
Post by Ade
Post by Incubus
[...]
Some developing countries like Turkey are bypassing land lines in rural
areas and are jumping immediately to mobile broadband.

My 4G connection with EE is much faster than my home broadband
connection and that's before I switched over to LTE-A (so-called 4.5G).
7
2017-09-14 22:54:46 UTC
Post by Ade
Post by Incubus
[...]
A family of 5? A house with residents. Etc? You can't be that dumb
to want to ask me for sure.
Post by Joe
have asked 7 more than once which households and businesses 'need' the
1Gb/s he's always on about, but I haven't yet seen an answer.
You don't need me to answer any of it.
Ask gamers and social media users for starters.
And families watching several videos at once.
Particularly the cord cutters.
Post by Joe
I'm aware
of a couple of types of businesses that could use that, but those
businesses can easily afford the current price from other people, and
to suggest that BT 'needs' to offer it to everyone is like saying that
the tens of millions of people in the UK should run on Central European
Time because a few thousand business people would find it more
convenient to get up an hour later.
Exactly what they said when the first cumputers came out.
Only 7 were needed.

The same things were said when the first 32 bit microcontrollers
were shipping - now shipping several billion a year.

You don't need me to tell you anything.
You just need to put pen to paper and figure out for yourself what
the average usage is and what services are now being
rolled out where and plot it over time.

Couple of billion hours alone wasted on tube journeys for example
every month because of zero connectivity. Unlike China for example.
m***@btopenworld.com
2017-09-14 16:31:41 UTC
Don't set him off! You know he's barmy!
BurfordTJustice
2017-09-14 19:43:55 UTC
Perhaps you could form a company go lay the optical fibre
and take all the business from other companies?

You up for it or just running an empty mouth??
Incubus
2017-09-15 08:26:35 UTC
That was incredibly weak but what else can one expect from a girly man?
hairball
2017-09-14 23:00:11 UTC
Post by Incubus
'There is no conceivable way that this 20th-century infrastructure is
fit for a 21st-century digital economy... Why take a technology
deployed in the last century and try and stretch it to the limits of
physics to do something that is still inadequate for creating the
digital economy that we know we need?
'In parallel, you have absolutely the right technology being deployed
pretty much everywhere else in the world.'
1 more thing that makes you realise there is no government at all

no management

it does not happen on the european mainland

it's 2017 and the largest contractor, the main contractor is using 19th C
technology

now in this time of technological explosion or the eve of

uk is like 1950s east germany

gchq and others (the register) have bemoaned how far behind uk citizens
are technologically .. this is a technological backwater

it is because of this .. clanking railway wheels, iron
when everyone else is zipping around on maglev trains .. tourists slowing
down to gawk & the primitive brits wading around in shit on their muddy
streets "haven't they discovered sewage?"