Are you dead yet?
charlie61Ltd
2013-07-18 17:06:01 UTC
It's tough on the streets. 760 are now dead and the number is rising
hourly. A level 3
alert has been issued and I would implore you all not to go out
unless it's really essential like a visit to the off licence.
The numbers of dead are forecast to double over
the next week and ice cream is expected to run out over much of
Southern England.
Water may run out in parts of London as result of people
very
foolishly drinking more of it. Detailed warnings are here -
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/heatwave-latest-up-to-760-killed-and-total-may-double-as-temperatures-above-30c-are-set-to-continue-8716639.html

It's expected that a level 345 warning
may have to be issued if the temperature continue to rise and in
which case all life on earth will be extinguished unless you all put
giant windmills on your roofs and pay 110 percent your wages in taxes.
I know I can count on your co-operation.
Ophelia
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
yttiw
2013-07-18 17:30:51 UTC
--
I phoned my father (90 next month) this morning and asked him if any
busybodies had called to give him advice on surviving this dangerous

I asked him how he coped with such unheard of dangers as a temperature
in the low 30's Celsius. He replied that he sat in his living room with
all the windows open.

Maybe the busybodies ought to concentrate their lecturing on those in
their late teens and twenties, who get ratarsed in this weather and
then think it would be "fun" to jump into the nearest reservoir/river.
charlie61Ltd
2013-07-18 19:18:10 UTC
Post by yttiw
Post by charlie61Ltd
[...]
I quite agree. I said to them I am bloody well
retired and a
taxpayer get round to the offy and bring me round a bottle of ten year
old Laphroaig.
What do we pay our taxes for.
It's taken two weeks to issue me with my free bus pass so god knows
how long it will take them for Laphroaig.
William Hague should stop spending his time threatening to kill all
those Arabs and do something useful.
charlie61Ltd
2013-07-18 19:35:25 UTC
On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 18:11:00 +0100, "Ophelia"
Post by charlie61Ltd
[...]
What's going to happen now - I never did metres at school but this
seems to me to be a terminal blow to the Nation.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-heatwave-goes-on-with-farmers-on-alert-for-fires-8716639.html

''
Mr Gagen said that Britain’s 300 square metres of winter barley crops
would be most at risk over the weekend because they are ripe and in
the process of being harvested''

I may have this wrong but is 300 square metres 10 metres x 30 metres.
That may be a bit of a problem.
Ophelia
2013-07-18 20:36:35 UTC
Post by charlie61Ltd
Post by yttiw
Maybe the busybodies ought to concentrate their lecturing on those in
their late teens and twenties, who get ratarsed in this weather and
then think it would be "fun" to jump into the nearest reservoir/river.
I quite agree. I said to them I am bloody well
retired and a
taxpayer get round to the offy and bring me round a bottle of ten year
old Laphroaig.
Oh noooo far too peaty:( I could manage a nice Dalwhinnie though <g>
Post by charlie61Ltd
What do we pay our taxes for.
It's taken two weeks to issue me with my free bus pass so god knows
how long it will take them for Laphroaig.
William Hague should stop spending his time threatening to kill all
those Arabs and do something useful.
Hear hear!!!
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Ophelia
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
DVH
It's definitely time to panic.
Basil Jet
Why is it called winter barley if it ripens in July?
Bill
2013-07-18 22:11:12 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
Post by charlie61Ltd
''
Mr Gagen said that Britain’s 300 square metres of winter barley crops
would be most at risk over the weekend because they are ripe and in
the process of being harvested''
I may have this wrong but is 300 square metres 10 metres x 30 metres.
That may be a bit of a problem.
Why is it called winter barley if it ripens in July?
Well my O level Geography class of some 45 years ago said the name was
because of when it was planted...
charlie61Ltd
2013-07-19 06:18:12 UTC
Post by charlie61Ltd
[...]
Up here in the Redoubt we are in the jet stream so we are ok.
I see you have changed your au pair again - does she have a work
permit - she looks a bit exotic.

The Redoubt, 10th Floor, Leopoldo Fortunato Galtieri Castelli House,
Bermondsey
yttiw
2013-07-20 19:11:24 UTC
Post by Bill
Post by Basil Jet
Post by charlie61Ltd
''
Mr Gagen said that Britain’s 300 square metres of winter barley crops
would be most at risk over the weekend because they are ripe and in
the process of being harvested''
I may have this wrong but is 300 square metres 10 metres x 30 metres.
That may be a bit of a problem.
Why is it called winter barley if it ripens in July?
Well my O level Geography class of some 45 years ago said the name was
because of when it was planted...
Yes. Just another way of making sure that no wildlife can possibly
exist in arable fields any more.

Unlike the old days when the ground was ploughed after harvest and then
left until spring to recover from the previous growing season.

Now the fields are drilled with autumn seed often within a week of
harvesting the previous crop, and then liberally coated with
insecticides if the seed has not already been injected with the stuff
prior to planting.

No butterflies, moths, ladybirds, bees, or spiders here guv - this is farmland.