Thanks to Trump, Little Rocket Man blinked
2018-03-10 20:51:32 UTC
For once I can agree with Piers Morgan...
Kim Jong Un can spin this any way he likes, but Trump has taunted and
tortured Little Rocket Man into blinking first and the world can
(temporarily) breathe a massive sigh of relief

By Piers Morgan

So, it worked.

President Donald Trump's inflammatory and bellicose 'Little Rocket Man'
taunting at North Korea's Kim Jong Un has, astonishingly, brought the
pint-sized dictator to the negotiating table.

Trump's 'my nuclear button's bigger than yours' shock tactics scared the
life out of almost everyone else, including me.

But it turns out there was method to his apparent madness.

In a stunning development, Jong Un's agreed to meet Trump by May, and
pledged to refrain from further nuclear and missile tests in the meantime.

Even more significantly, he is apparently 'committed to denuclearization' –
according to South Korea's government, after a meeting its officials held
with Jong Un earlier this week.

Make no mistake, this is a massive win for Trump.

None of his predecessors as US President has ever been able to bring North
Korea even remotely to heel.

Obviously, this is just the first move towards some kind of settlement and
hope may still collapse as fast as it has just arrived. Frankly, I wouldn't
trust Kim Jong Un as far as I could hurl the portly little twerp.

But, and it's a massive BUT, there's no doubt this is a dramatic step
forward in potentially neutralizing the biggest threat to world peace.

For decades, North Korea has lied, ranted and cheated its way to full
nuclear capability.

The chronic, shameful inaction by Trump's predecessors in the White House
has merely served to embolden the world's most unstable dictatorship, rather
than decapitate it.

Now, through a mixture of tough talk and wily diplomacy, Trump has succeeded
where they so abjectly failed - albeit temporarily.

When he wasn't personally abusing Jong Un on Twitter, the President was
stepping up draconian economic sanctions, leaning on China and working hard
with South Korea's impressive leader, President Moon Jae-In.

The first sign of something big happening came three days ago when

Trump tweeted: 'Possible progress being made in talks with North Korea. For
the first time in many years, a serious effort is being made by all parties
concerned. The World is watching and waiting! May be false hope, but the
U.S. is ready to go hard in either direction!'

Last night, North Korea blinked.

Despite all his bonkers behavior, Jong Un - like his father Kim Jong-il
before him – is a cunning and pragmatic man when it comes to
self-preservation.

The North Korean strategy has been to enhance its nuclear capability to the
point where nobody dare try to pull an Iraq or Libya on its own regime.

And it's been a chillingly successful tactic, which is worrying on many
levels, not least because it might encourage other rogue states to pursue a
similar path.

Both Jong-il and Jong Un have previously been able to rely on the fact they
were dealing with conventional career politicians in the White House, like
Bill Clinton, George Bush and Barack Obama.

Those US presidents were all terrified of triggering a planet-threatening
war and thus did nothing to properly confront the growing menace of a
fully-nuked North Korea.

Trump is a different animal.

He doesn't care for the niceties of Washington diplomacy and from his
business life he knows a gigantic bullshitter like Jong Un when he sees one.

THIS President prefers wielding a big stick, and reminding everyone that
America has by far the biggest stick to wield.

When Jong Un said his nuclear button was on his desk at all times, Trump
immediately hit back with this infamous retort: 'Will someone from his
depleted and food starved regime please inform him that I too have a nuclear
button, but it is a much bigger & more powerful one than his, and my button
works!'

He was mocked and derided for this super-charged form of international
willy-waving, but now he's had the last laugh.

I suspect Kim Jong Un's been quietly growing increasingly concerned that in
President Trump, he is now dealing with someone as unpredictable as him, but
with a far superior military arsenal that he might actually unleash.

North Korea's state media may have recently labeled Trump a 'lunatic mean
old trickster and human reject' but those are just words.

Actions always speak louder, and Jong Un's agreement to meet with the US
President is a hugely significant climbdown, whatever gloss he tries to put
on it.

For President Trump, it represents a coup that might prove to be as
ground-breaking, daring and meaningful as Richard Nixon's controversial
courting of Mao Zedong's China in the early '70s.

Trump's book Art of the Deal gives a guide to his negotiating skills.

'My style of deal-making is quite simple and straightforward,' he wrote, 'I
aim very high, and then I just keep pushing and pushing and pushing to get
what I'm after.'

With North Korea, he has displayed that philosophy to dramatic effect.

He aimed as high as anyone could possibly aim, openly threatening to
vaporize Kim Jong Un into a cloud of nuclear dust.

And Jong Un appears to have believed he really might go through with it.

As a result, there's a proper chance of North Korea dismantling rather than
accelerating its nuclear program

For a long time, it has demanded the right for its leaders to meet
face-to-face with the President of the United States as equals – one nuclear
power to another.

Now, it will get that opportunity.

Though it would do well to heed last night's advice from Republican Senator
Lindsey Graham: 'A word of warning to North Korean President Kim Jong Un,'
he said, 'the very worst possible thing you can do is meet with President
Trump in person and try to play him. If you do that, it will be the end of
you – and your regime.'

Jong Un has probably reached the same conclusion.

'Hopefully you will give me credit,' a reportedly ecstatic Trump told ABC
News journalist Jon Karl yesterday.

Don't hold your breath for that, Mr. President.

The US mainstream media is already working overtime to accentuate the
negative rather than positive from this announcement, such is their
collective ratings-boosting hostility towards Trump.

But the truth is he deserves a LOT of credit.

And even some of his biggest political critics are ready to give it to him.

'I think this is a positive step,' said former CIA chief and Defense
Secretary Leon Panetta. 'I think the world is breathing a sigh of relief.'

Yes, it is.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5481789/Trump-taunted-tortured-Little-Rocket-Man-blinking-first.html
Oleg Smirnov
LOL
Mr. B1ack
2018-03-10 21:18:52 UTC
As I said, he hasn't "blinked" ... he's working
on Plan-B instead. Be VERY cautious.