Scotch secretary (47) resigns after sending 100s of messages to 16 yr old boy.
2020-02-06 10:04:08 UTC
Scotland’s finance secretary, Derek Mackay, has resigned hours before he
was due to deliver next year’s budget after it emerged he had been sending
messages to a 16-year-old boy.

The Scottish Sun published hundreds of messages
(https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/5253542/snp-derek-mackay-
schoolboy-texts-
holyrood/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=scottishsuntwitter&utm_source=Twitter
#Echobox=1580943655)that Mackay, 42, had sent the teenager, including calling
him “cute”, discussing his new haircut and inviting him to dinner and to
accompany him to a parliamentary event as his guest.

In a statement, Mackay said he had tendered his resignation to Nicola
Sturgeon, the first minister, with immediate effect.

Mackay, a longstanding Scottish National party national convenor and one of
the party’s most prominent figures, had widely been seen as a contender to
eventually replace Sturgeon as SNP leader.

His statement read: “I take full responsibility for my actions. I have
behaved foolishly and I am truly sorry. I apologise unreservedly to the
individual involved and his family.

“I spoke last night with the first minister and tendered my resignation
with immediate effect. Serving in government has been a huge privilege and I
am sorry to have let colleagues and supporters down.”

Mackay, who has two sons, had been due to deliver the Scottish government’s
draft budget for 2020-21 at Holyrood on Thursday. It will instead be
presented by Mackay’s deputy, Kate Forbes.

The Sun reported that Mackay, who disclosed that he was gay after his
marriage ended in 2013, befriended the teenager on Facebook and Instagram and
sent him unsolicited messages.

The paper said the teenager’s mother was furious. “I worry about what
would have happened if my son had sent him back a message he wanted to
hear,” she said.

Sturgeon said: “Derek has taken full responsibility for his actions and
apologises unreservedly for them to the individual involved and to those he
has let down. He has submitted his resignation as a government minister,
which I have accepted. Derek has made a significant contribution to
government. However, he recognises that his behaviour has failed to meet the
standards required.”

The resignation on the eve of the budget will be a blow to Sturgeon. The
budget is the heart of the Scottish government’s policy agenda andScotland
(https://www.theguardian.com/uk/scotland)now has powers to set it income tax
rates.

Mackay had been expected to set out detailed spending plans on the climate
crisis, infrastructure and public services, and criticise the UK
government’s decision to delay its budget until early March. Because the
Treasury’s spending decisions influence about £20bn of spending by the
Scottish government, the delay in getting precise figures restricted
Mackay’s ability to plan his budget.

His successor will face a deepening row over a botched £97m contract to
build two
(https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/aug/12/snp-set-to-nationalise-
ferguson-marine-last-civilian-shipbuilder-to-save-ferry-contracts)hybrid
ferries
(https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/aug/12/snp-set-to-nationalise-
ferguson-marine-last-civilian-shipbuilder-to-save-ferry-contracts)at Ferguson
Marine, a Clyde shipyard that was rescued from closure by a close ally of
Alex Salmond shortly before the 2014 independence referendum. The contract,
overseen by the finance department, is significantly delayed and over budget.
Dan S. MacAbre
2020-02-06 10:14:32 UTC
Dearie, dearie me! Have these people no self-awareness?
Basil Jet
2020-02-06 10:47:14 UTC
Scotland’s finance secretary, Derek Mackay, has resigned hours before he
was due to deliver next year’s budget after it emerged he had been sending
messages to a 16-year-old boy.
Dearie, dearie me!  Have these people no self-awareness?
16 is over the age of consent, so I'm not sure why he should resign.
--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
Steve Mason - 2019 - Coup D'État EP
Dan S. MacAbre
2020-02-06 11:28:58 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Keema's Nan
Scotland’s finance secretary, Derek Mackay, has resigned hours before he
was due to deliver next year’s budget after it emerged he had been sending
messages to a 16-year-old boy.
Dearie, dearie me!  Have these people no self-awareness?
16 is over the age of consent, so I'm not sure why he should resign.
For better or for worse, ISTM that politicians have to lead purer lives
than the rest of us. I agree that it isn't fair, since they will no
doubt be imposing the same rules on us in due course; but that's the
world they so enthusiastically throw themselves into.
Maxwell Boltzmann
2020-02-06 15:47:15 UTC
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Keema's Nan
Scotland’s finance secretary, Derek Mackay, has resigned hours before he
was due to deliver next year’s budget after it emerged he had
been sending
messages to a 16-year-old boy.
Dearie, dearie me!  Have these people no self-awareness?
16 is over the age of consent, so I'm not sure why he should resign.
For better or for worse, ISTM that politicians have to lead purer lives
than the rest of us.
But sending sexual messages to a 16-year-old boy isn't impure, according
to the law as it stands. Even sodomising him would be perfectly good and
wholesome and moral and natural, and in fact would make the world a
better place by celebrating diversity.

[If you're not married anyway, which Mackay isn't.]
Max
Dan S. MacAbre
2020-02-06 17:01:36 UTC
Post by Maxwell Boltzmann
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by Keema's Nan
Scotland’s finance secretary, Derek Mackay, has resigned hours before he
was due to deliver next year’s budget after it emerged he had been sending
messages to a 16-year-old boy.
Dearie, dearie me!  Have these people no self-awareness?
 16 is over the age of consent, so I'm not sure why he should resign.
For better or for worse, ISTM that politicians have to lead purer
lives than the rest of us.
But sending sexual messages to a 16-year-old boy isn't impure, according
to the law as it stands. Even sodomising him would be perfectly good and
wholesome and moral and natural, and in fact would make the world a
better place by celebrating diversity.
[If you're not married anyway, which Mackay isn't.]
I know, but they routinely get into trouble for all kinds of things that
aren't actually against the law.
m***@btopenworld.com
2020-02-06 17:56:26 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Keema's Nan
Scotland’s finance secretary, Derek Mackay, has resigned hours before he
was due to deliver next year’s budget after it emerged he had been sending
messages to a 16-year-old boy.
Dearie, dearie me!  Have these people no self-awareness?
16 is over the age of consent, so I'm not sure why he should resign.
The question of consent always arises in the event of a sexual assault regardless of the age of the victim In this case, the victim made it clear to the perpetrator that he wanted nothing to do him However, Mackay allegedly persisted in his improper advances. He would not take 'no!' for an answer.

Nobody should be under any misapprehension that the fact of an individual being over the age of consent is licence for anyone to make an indecent 9r improper proposal towards them.
RH156RH
Well, the national dress of Scotchmen is a skirt soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.... RH
John
With dangling bollocks.
Keema's Nan
You are entitled to your personal fantasies.
Peter Percival
2020-02-06 19:39:27 UTC
Scotland’s finance secretary, Derek Mackay, has resigned hours before he
was due to deliver next year’s budget after it emerged he had been sending
messages to a 16-year-old boy.
What wrong has he done?
Keema's Nan
2020-02-06 19:59:02 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Keema's Nan
Scotland’s finance secretary, Derek Mackay, has resigned hours before he
was due to deliver next year’s budget after it emerged he had been sending
messages to a 16-year-old boy.
What wrong has he done?
Speak to Nicola The Fish -

In an emergency statement, Sturgeon told the Scottish parliament: “It was
clear to me Derek Mackay’s conduct fell far short of what was expected of a
minister.”

Or maybe the chap himself -

He said “I have behaved foolishly and I am truly sorry. I apologise
unreservedly to the individual involved and his family”.
m***@btopenworld.com
2020-02-07 12:49:37 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Keema's Nan
Scotland’s finance secretary, Derek Mackay, has resigned hours before he
was due to deliver next year’s budget after it emerged he had been sending
messages to a 16-year-old boy.
What wrong has he done?
He has directed his unwanted attentions towards someone who had made it perfectly clear he wanted nothing to do with him.

In short harassment/ grooming Nobody has any god given right to engage in such behaviour. It's a question of consent rather than age of consent.