"30 years after the Berlin Wall's collapse, Americans don't understand communism's dangers"
2019-11-30 21:13:54 UTC
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2019/11/08/30-years-berlin-wall-collapse-americans-understand-communisms-dangers-column/4166422002/
Or: https://tinyurl.com/roo8z89
[...]
What a difference three decades make. When the Berlin Wall was torn down
on November 9, 1989, it symbolized the collapse of the Iron Curtain and
the liberation of more than 300 million people from the tyrannical grip of
communism. We in the west celebrated the start of a new era of democracy
and freedom, one we were told was possibly endless. Yet a mere 30 years
later, communist parties are gaining ground, and the free world is
literally shrinking — in size and spirit.
I wonder how many former East Germans pine for the "good old days":

rbowman
2019-12-01 01:35:29 UTC
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2019/11/08/30-years-berlin-wall-collapse-americans-understand-communisms-dangers-column/4166422002/
Or: https://tinyurl.com/roo8z89
[...]
What a difference three decades make. When the Berlin Wall was torn down
on November 9, 1989, it symbolized the collapse of the Iron Curtain and
the liberation of more than 300 million people from the tyrannical grip of
communism. We in the west celebrated the start of a new era of democracy
and freedom, one we were told was possibly endless. Yet a mere 30 years
later, communist parties are gaining ground, and the free world is
literally shrinking — in size and spirit.
Even Merkel gets nostalgic. Women in the DDR retired at 60 and retirees
were free to leave the country since they were no longer in the
workforce. She dreamed about driving around the US listening to
Springsteen. Preferably not in a Trabant.