Is The Purge coming to Britain on 1st November?
MM
2019-10-16 09:39:09 UTC
In the days following the referendum on 2016 a lot of non-white people
and people who "sounded" foreign were verbally, even violently abused
and threatened by the far right aka Brexiters. This mob thought it was
within its rights to take the referendum result as a green light to
indulge in all kinds of inconsiderate behaviour which bordered on the
criminal in many cases. I can see this happening again after 31
October, whether we leave with or without a deal. Brexiters up and
down the land will be partying through the night, then accosting
strangers whose faces or voices don't fit with a sense of
triumphalism. Even white Remainers won't be safe. Just look at the
abuse hurled at MPs in the past months. It's too shocking for words.
Unless the police plan for a very significant clamp down on the
extremists, the departure from the EU is going to be marked by visits
to A&E departments all over the country, and maybe fatalities, too.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2019/10/would-no-deal-brexit-lead-rise-hate-crime

"The backdrop is bad enough. The number of recorded hate crimes has
more than doubled in the last five years. Reporting has improved,
contributing somewhat to the figures, but perception matters:
normalisation of rising hate crime and expressions of public prejudice
embolden perpetrators."

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/vb5yw9/brexit-delays-are-fuelling-a-dangerous-rage-among-britains-far-right

"The whole thing has become so toxic, it sometimes feels like we’re on
the verge of the Spanish Civil War."

MM
Incubus
2019-10-16 11:28:22 UTC
Post by MM
https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/vb5yw9/brexit-delays-are-fuelling-a-dangerous-rage-among-britains-far-right
"The whole thing has become so toxic, it sometimes feels like we’re on
the verge of the Spanish Civil War."
It's somewhat ironic that those in our media who make fevered and sensational analogies to the Spanish Civil War, based on nothing but dubious claims, have demonstrated a collective silence over the Spanish State beating voters and prosecuting those who led a movement for freedom and independence.
Up to twelve years for most of the politicians involved, some of whom were arrested
with the aid of EU Arrest Warrants. As I said elsewhere, glad to see the EU
guarantees democracy and human rights.

Remainer protesters have behaved far worse than Leavers but one shouldn't
expect Vice to let facts get in the way of their lobby journalism.
MM
2019-10-16 22:00:45 UTC
On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 11:28:22 -0000 (UTC), Incubus
Post by Incubus
Post by MM
https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/vb5yw9/brexit-delays-are-fuelling-a-dangerous-rage-among-britains-far-right
"The whole thing has become so toxic, it sometimes feels like we’re on
the verge of the Spanish Civil War."
It's somewhat ironic that those in our media who make fevered and sensational analogies to the Spanish Civil War, based on nothing but dubious claims, have demonstrated a collective silence over the Spanish State beating voters and prosecuting those who led a movement for freedom and independence.
Up to twelve years for most of the politicians involved, some of whom were arrested
with the aid of EU Arrest Warrants. As I said elsewhere, glad to see the EU
guarantees democracy and human rights.
Remainer protesters have behaved far worse than Leavers but one shouldn't
expect Vice to let facts get in the way of their lobby journalism.
You seem to be more concerned about what is happening in Spain than
what will likely happen here post Brexit. Is that because the latter
is too terrible for you to contemplate?

MM
m***@btopenworld.com
2019-10-17 08:55:19 UTC
Post by Incubus
Post by MM
[...]
Spain like the UK (at present) is a member of the EU where such things are not supposed to happen. The question you should be asking is that if such things can be allegedly prevented by virtue of membership of the EU then why and how can they occur in Spain?

The conclusion one must inevitably come to is that human rights etc. are nothing to do with membership of the EU. Ergo, there is no good reason to believe that there will be any change in this respect after Brexit.

Our record with regard to human rights id as good as that anywhere in the world. Spain is the country that spawned, endured and even endorsed Franco!

The strength of human rights rest in the people affected there are some things with which a free people will not put up.
Incubus
2019-10-17 09:10:51 UTC
Post by Incubus
Post by MM
[...]
That is dismal even by MM's habitual standards.
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Spain like the UK (at present) is a member of the EU where such things are
not supposed to happen. The question you should be asking is that if such
things can be allegedly prevented by virtue of membership of the EU then why
and how can they occur in Spain?
MM's loyalty to the EU project precludes any serious consideration of the
matter. He probably thinks people in favour of Catalonian independence are
ignorant, bigoted racists.
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
The conclusion one must inevitably come to is that human rights etc. are
nothing to do with membership of the EU. Ergo, there is no good reason to
believe that there will be any change in this respect after Brexit.
Our record with regard to human rights id as good as that anywhere in the
world. Spain is the country that spawned, endured and even endorsed Franco!
From the Twentieth Century onwards, our human rights record has consistently
been excellent. The reason the European Convention on Human Rights was created
was because a number of European countries had such terrible records. It
certainly wasn't because we needed the Articles and laws.
And that is one of the reasons we voted to leave the EU.
MM
2019-10-18 10:16:57 UTC
On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 09:10:51 -0000 (UTC), Incubus
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Spain like the UK (at present) is a member of the EU where such things are
not supposed to happen. The question you should be asking is that if such
things can be allegedly prevented by virtue of membership of the EU then why
and how can they occur in Spain?
MM's loyalty to the EU project precludes any serious consideration of the
matter. He probably thinks people in favour of Catalonian independence are
ignorant, bigoted racists.
Catalonia is not a country and never was. What the separatists tried
to do, however, is similar to Ian Smith's actions in former Rhodesia,
so it's no wonder that the ringleaders were prosecuted.

MM
m***@btopenworld.com
2019-10-18 11:58:32 UTC
Post by MM
On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 09:10:51 -0000 (UTC), Incubus
Spain like the UK (at present) is a member of the EU where such things are
not supposed to happen. The question you should be asking is that if such
things can be allegedly prevented by virtue of membership of the EU then why
and how can they occur in Spain?
MM's loyalty to the EU project precludes any serious consideration of the
matter. He probably thinks people in favour of Catalonian independence are
ignorant, bigoted racists.
Catalonia is not a country and never was. What the separatists tried
to do, however, is similar to Ian Smith's actions in former Rhodesia,
so it's no wonder that the ringleaders were prosecuted.
Rubbish:

The region has its own flag, language (widely spoken) and culture.

From the Encyclopedia Brittanica:

" Catalonia was formerly a principality of the crown of Aragon, and it has played an important role in the history of the Iberian Peninsula. From the 17th century it was the centre of a separatist movement that sometimes dominated Spanish affairs.

Catalonia was one of the first Roman possessions in Spain. Occupied during the 5th century CE by the Goths, it was taken by the Moors in 712 and at the end of the 8th century by Charlemagne, who incorporated it into his realm as the Spanish March, ruled by a count. Frankish suzerainty over Catalonia was merely nominal, however, and was completely rejected during the reign of Count Borrell (died 991)."
MM
2019-10-19 10:07:29 UTC
Post by MM
On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 09:10:51 -0000 (UTC), Incubus
Spain like the UK (at present) is a member of the EU where such things are
not supposed to happen. The question you should be asking is that if such
things can be allegedly prevented by virtue of membership of the EU then why
and how can they occur in Spain?
MM's loyalty to the EU project precludes any serious consideration of the
matter. He probably thinks people in favour of Catalonian independence are
ignorant, bigoted racists.
Catalonia is not a country and never was. What the separatists tried
to do, however, is similar to Ian Smith's actions in former Rhodesia,
so it's no wonder that the ringleaders were prosecuted.
On the contrary, the 2017 Catalan independence referendum "...was
declared illegal on 7 September 2017 and suspended by the
Constitutional Court of Spain after a request from the Spanish
government, who declared it a breach of the Spanish Constitution." -
Wikipedia

MM

MM
2019-10-16 21:59:02 UTC
On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 04:16:55 -0700 (PDT), Gary Walker
Post by MM
https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/vb5yw9/brexit-delays-are-fuelling-a-dangerous-rage-among-britains-far-right
"The whole thing has become so toxic, it sometimes feels like we’re on
the verge of the Spanish Civil War."
It's somewhat ironic that those in our media who make fevered and sensational analogies to the Spanish Civil War, based on nothing but dubious claims, have demonstrated a collective silence over the Spanish State beating voters and prosecuting those who led a movement for freedom and independence.
What does that have to do with what is likely to happen in parts of
Brtian post Brexit?

MM