NHS wants to charge a patient 54k for cancer treatment
The Todal
2018-03-11 12:24:13 UTC
We're all opposed to "health tourism" and we want our NHS to provide
treatment that's free at the point of use, for our own citizens.

Here's a worrying new phenomenon. There are people in the UK who have
lived here for most of their lives but are unable to prove to our
government that they are entitled to NHS treatment. For them, it's worse
than living in America because there's no free cancer treatment
available no matter how poor they are.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/10/denied-free-nhs-cancer-care-left-die-home-office-commonwealth

Thompson has lived in London for 44 years, having arrived from Jamaica
as a teenager, and although he has worked as a mechanic and paid taxes
for more than three decades, the Home Office is disputing his
eligibility to remain.

Official suspicion about his immigration status led to him being evicted
last summer, and he was homeless for three weeks. His disputed status
has also led to free healthcare being denied. Because he has no savings
and no way of paying £54,000, he says he is not receiving the cancer
treatment he needs.

The 63-year-old, who asked for his real name not to be printed on legal
advice, is another victim of an unfolding scandal around the treatment
by the Home Office of a group of people who arrived in the UK as
children from Commonwealth countries. This cohort grew up believing
themselves to be British, only to discover in a rapidly hardening
immigration climate that they need documentary proof of their right to
be here, which many do not have.
Yellow
2018-03-11 14:06:55 UTC
Post by The Todal
[...]
I read this yesterday but was left frustrated that the article did not
explain why the "authorities" think this gentleman has no right to be in
the UK nor why it has not been sorted out as surely he can show more-or-
less how long he has been here.

Did he go to school in the UK for example? And if he has paid NI, he
must have a record for that.

And it says he says he has lost his original passport from Jamaica, but
surely they would have record there of his birth? Or the fact a passport
was indeed once issued.

If it is true, as reported, then it is 'dreadful' and 'something must be
done' but there just seems to be too many plot holes to take the story,
as reported, at face value.
m***@btopenworld.com

It sounds hard and callous but of course it is absolutely necessary to see that anyone in receipt of 'free' healthcare in this country has the necessary entitlement. Otherwise potentially we become really free healthcare providers to the entire planet.
BurfordTJustice

tim...
2018-03-11 15:44:57 UTC
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by Yellow
Post by The Todal
[...]
but we have a system that doesn't offer treatment on the basis of birth, but
on the basis of ordinary residence

It's possible to have a UK passport and not be entitled to HNS care, and
it's possible to be ordinary resident here and not have a UK passport.

so asking for this document, as proof or entitlement, at the hospital
entrance is just silly.

tim
BurfordTJustice

BurfordTJustice
2018-03-11 19:43:56 UTC
Thanks to your best butt bud obama

All groups restored to help spread your vast google grouper knowledge
to the unwashed masses.

Stop trying to hide, stand tall little man and preach it
loud and strong.

.

"trader_4" <***@optonline.net> wrote in message news:ee1fff65-1f58-4935-8b49-***@googlegroups.com...
: On Sunday, March 11, 2018 at 10:38:45 AM UTC-4, BurfordTJustice wrote:
:
:
: As opposed to the US, where people are paying $54K for health insurance
: over just a few years, even though they don't have cancer or any other
: health problems. And you're complaining about the UK?
:
:
BurfordTJustice
2018-03-11 21:44:06 UTC
All groups restored to help spread your vast google grouper knowledge
to the unwashed masses.

Stop trying to hide, stand tall little man and preach it
loud and strong.

To quote trader,'you are talking out your ass now:

Bet your first name is "anthony" LOL

"trader_4" <***@optonline.net> wrote in message news:a8213837-438b-4dfd-9f7f-***@googlegroups.com...
: On Sunday, March 11, 2018 at 3:44:05 PM UTC-4, BurfordTJustice wrote:
: > Thanks to your best butt bud obama
:
: Another lie. Obama addressed healthcare because there already was
: a crisis, with healthcare costs and insurance costs rapidly
: escalating to the point that average people can't afford it.
: Whatever the flaws in Obamacare, at least OBama made an honest
: effort to try to do something. Trump? He's had 14 months, with
: a GOP Congress and what's his plan? What has he done? Besides
: kicking the stuffing out of OBamacare, NOTHING. Nothing has been
: done to address the rising costs of healthcare. And as the results
: of that become obvious, Trump will take the heat for making a bad
: situation worse.
:
: And I know you or another trumptard will say, let people pay for
: their own insurance. That's a swell idea, but the problem is that
: insurance is prohibitively expensive so people can't afford it.
: For example, a good friend of mine is on a group plan for a small
: business. The cost of insurance for a year for him, his wife and
: one child? $32K a year. And that's with no serious medical problems
: and an average plan. The better plan is $45K a year. There is
: your healthcare and health insurance problem.
:

tim...
2018-03-11 15:41:16 UTC
Post by The Todal
We're all opposed to "health tourism" and we want our NHS to provide
treatment that's free at the point of use, for our own citizens.
Here's a worrying new phenomenon. There are people in the UK who have
lived here for most of their lives but are unable to prove to our
government that they are entitled to NHS treatment. For them, it's worse
than living in America because there's no free cancer treatment available
no matter how poor they are.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/10/denied-free-nhs-cancer-care-left-die-home-office-commonwealth
yes I saw this

I really don't understand why a 40 year record of NI payments (the article
said that he worked, so he ought to have that) is not sufficient proof of
entitlement

tim
abelard
2018-03-11 16:21:00 UTC
Post by tim...
Post by The Todal
We're all opposed to "health tourism" and we want our NHS to provide
treatment that's free at the point of use, for our own citizens.
Here's a worrying new phenomenon. There are people in the UK who have
lived here for most of their lives but are unable to prove to our
government that they are entitled to NHS treatment. For them, it's worse
than living in America because there's no free cancer treatment available
no matter how poor they are.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/10/denied-free-nhs-cancer-care-left-die-home-office-commonwealth
yes I saw this
I really don't understand why a 40 year record of NI payments (the article
said that he worked, so he ought to have that) is not sufficient proof of
entitlement
it's .....the groaniad!
www.abelard.org
JNugent
There has to be more to the story than has been stated.
m***@btopenworld.com
2018-03-11 18:55:43 UTC
Post by tim...
Post by The Todal
We're all opposed to "health tourism" and we want our NHS to provide
treatment that's free at the point of use, for our own citizens.
Here's a worrying new phenomenon. There are people in the UK who have
lived here for most of their lives but are unable to prove to our
government that they are entitled to NHS treatment. For them, it's worse
than living in America because there's no free cancer treatment available
no matter how poor they are.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/10/denied-free-nhs-cancer-care-left-die-home-office-commonwealth
yes I saw this
I really don't understand why a 40 year record of NI payments (the article
said that he worked, so he ought to have that) is not sufficient proof of
entitlement
Unless he worked in the black economy.

If he didn't have a NI number or a tax code, he would have little alternative.
BurfordTJustice

:
roadwork
2018-03-11 16:34:19 UTC
"10 Oct 2013 - The home secretary, Theresa May, has defended plans to
create a 'hostile environment' for illegal migrants to Britain"
JNugent
2018-03-11 16:39:51 UTC
Post by The Todal
[...]
The question, surely, can never be what *they* believed, but has to be
about what the British state has reason to believe, about their
immigration status?

I'm sure that this is a hard case, but there's nothing to stop anyone,
from anywhere in the world, claiming that they have always believed that
they are a citizen (even though they're not).