farago prepares for government
2019-11-04 10:32:40 UTC
https://order-order.com/2019/11/04/brexit-party-candidate-defects-backs-tory-mp/
"Since Nigel Farage threatened to stand in 600 seats nationally Brexit
Party support as polled by YouGov has fallen from 13% to 7%"
2019-11-04 10:46:58 UTC
https://order-order.com/2019/11/04/brexit-party-candidate-defects-backs-tory-mp/
"Since Nigel Farage threatened to stand in 600 seats nationally Brexit
Party support as polled by YouGov has fallen from 13% to 7%"
I'm glad that a good number of his supporters see the danger of what he is
doing. Although I have a lot of respect for Nigel Farage and am grateful to
him for helping to bring us this far, his current position does make me
question his judgement of the situation we are in.

I wonder what the likelihood would be of Labour forming a coalition with the
Lib Dems if the numbers supported it. Agent Cob would absolutely insist on
being Prime Minister (even if the Lib Dems were to hold more seats). I suspect
the Lib Dems would agree to form a coalition if Labour agreed to a condition of
either revoking Article 50 or holding an immediate second referendum on
suitably biased terms.

At least TBP are likely to draw Labour voters as well as Conservative voters.
Dan S. MacAbre
Maybe he's learned from his mistake last time? :-)
Gary Walker
2019-11-04 13:03:23 UTC
I'm glad that a good number of his supporters see the danger of what he is
doing. Although I have a lot of respect for Nigel Farage and am grateful to
him for helping to bring us this far, his current position does make me
question his judgement of the situation we are in.
I'd be amazed if he carried out the threat. I think he's miffed that Johnson's snubbed him. And Johnson is a fool to have done so. If he had any sense, he'd offer Farage a dignified exit by acknowledging his contribution to the cause of returning democracy to these shores and he'd show some respect for Farage's unwavering principles in exposing the rotten EU to account for many decades.

In return, Farage could contest only the toxic (for Tories) seats that will not damage the Tories' seat count, when the fat lady sings.
Mark Devon
2019-11-04 13:08:01 UTC
Farage.....so called believer in our parliament.....and anti-EU....remains as a highly paid MEP, but chickens out as a UK parliament candidate.
Incubus
2019-11-04 13:12:26 UTC
Post by Gary Walker
Post by Incubus
I'm glad that a good number of his supporters see the danger of what he is
doing. Although I have a lot of respect for Nigel Farage and am grateful to
him for helping to bring us this far, his current position does make me
question his judgement of the situation we are in.
I'd be amazed if he carried out the threat. I think he's miffed that Johnson's snubbed him. And Johnson is a fool to have done so. If he had any sense, he'd offer Farage a dignified exit by acknowledging his contribution to the cause of returning democracy to these shores and he'd show some respect for Farage's unwavering principles in exposing the rotten EU to account for many decades.
That's a fair point. The problem is that the media has succeeded in painting
Farage and his parties as "far right", and the Tories are supine enough to try
their level best to avoid such an association.
Post by Gary Walker
In return, Farage could contest only the toxic (for Tories) seats that will not damage the Tories' seat count, when the fat lady sings.
Main parties seem not to like doing pre-election deals on the basis that it
makes them look weak. It's only when they realise they are weak that
compromise takes place.
abelard
2019-11-04 13:14:21 UTC
On Mon, 4 Nov 2019 05:03:23 -0800 (PST), Gary Walker
Post by Gary Walker
Post by Incubus
I'm glad that a good number of his supporters see the danger of what he is
doing. Although I have a lot of respect for Nigel Farage and am grateful to
him for helping to bring us this far, his current position does make me
question his judgement of the situation we are in.
I'd be amazed if he carried out the threat. I think he's miffed that Johnson's snubbed him.
the reaction of a child...politics at the harp end is not a
game for children
Mark Devon
2019-11-04 13:19:58 UTC

So, temper tantrums from spoiled babies are not on then?
Incubus
2019-11-04 13:22:45 UTC
Post by Mark Devon
((reaction of a child...politics at the harp end is not a
game for children))
So, temper tantrums from spoiled babies are not on then?
No, they're not. Now pick up your toys, go to your room and let the adults
speak.
Gary Walker
Politics at the harp end? You fuckin' lyre!!
Ophelia

Hopefully.
Farmer Giles
2019-11-05 07:49:44 UTC
Post by Gary Walker
Post by Incubus
I'm glad that a good number of his supporters see the danger of what he is
doing. Although I have a lot of respect for Nigel Farage and am grateful to
him for helping to bring us this far, his current position does make me
question his judgement of the situation we are in.
I'd be amazed if he carried out the threat. I think he's miffed that Johnson's snubbed him. And Johnson is a fool to have done so. If he had any sense, he'd offer Farage a dignified exit by acknowledging his contribution to the cause of returning democracy to these shores and he'd show some respect for Farage's unwavering principles in exposing the rotten EU to account for many decades.
In return, Farage could contest only the toxic (for Tories) seats that will not damage the Tories' seat count, when the fat lady sings.
Johnson is a remainer at heart, and doesn't want a pact with Nigel
Farage because that way he wouldn't be able to organise our exit in such
a way that effectively leaves us still tied to the EU.

However, he still remains our only realistic hope of getting out. If TBP
contest Tory seats then leavers should vote Tory there to avoid the
possibility of splitting the leave vote and letting either Labour or the
Lib-Dims in. Only in Labour seats should they vote for TBP.

I live in a constituency that is firmly in the hands of the
Conservatives. These days I generally advocate voting for none of the
main parties - I loathe them all equally (last time I spoilt my ballot
paper rather than vote for anyone) - but this time I will vote Tory,
holding my nose as I do so!
Ophelia

Hmmm I am still undecided. You make good points though.
Dan S. MacAbre
2019-11-05 11:00:46 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Gary Walker
Post by Incubus
[...]
I guess there'll be many people doing exactly the same. But if they
don't deliver, they'll be finished; and deservedly so.