UK: 964 deaths each day from Covid is the worst in Europe
Pamela
2020-12-31 22:27:07 UTC
The UK is on track once again to have one of the highest Covid death
counts (not death rate) in the world.

I hope it's just a blip due to interrupted data collection at Xmas.

USA 2,588 deaths per day
Mexico 1,052
Brazil 1,009
UK 964
Germany 618
Italy 555
France 251
Spain 148

from: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

The very poor figures for the UK suggest the government hasn't been
managing the situation as well as other countries.

Perhaps our government thought it was more important to spend time
recently to save face over Brexit than save human lives.
Joe
2020-12-31 22:58:31 UTC
On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 22:27:07 GMT
Post by Pamela
The UK is on track once again to have one of the highest Covid death
counts (not death rate) in the world.
I hope it's just a blip due to interrupted data collection at Xmas.
USA 2,588 deaths per day
Mexico 1,052
Brazil 1,009
UK 964
Germany 618
Italy 555
France 251
Spain 148
from: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
The very poor figures for the UK suggest the government hasn't been
managing the situation as well as other countries.
Perhaps our government thought it was more important to spend time
recently to save face over Brexit than save human lives.
So what should the government have been doing that it wasn't?

In your reply, please bear in mind that the few studies of lockdowns
and masks have concluded that neither stops Covid, although they seem
to be suspiciously good at stopping flu, a virus of comparable size:

https://www.zerohedge.com/covid-19/great-2020-seasonal-fluinfluenza-disappearing-act
Joe
Farmer Giles
;-)
DoD
2021-01-01 05:27:44 UTC
Post by Joe
On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 22:27:07 GMT
Post by Pamela
[...]
Ummm, I don't live in the U.K. but I saw this..

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eqa7WhnW4AAtAy_?format=jpg&name=medium
Pamela
2021-01-01 08:52:59 UTC
Post by DoD
Post by Joe
Post by Pamela
[...]
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eqa7WhnW4AÂ
AtAy_?format=jpg&name=medium
That has nothing to do with the number of deaths in the international
comparison tables.

If you lived in the UK you would have heard doctors on the media in
recent days specifying the massive degree of overload their ICU
departments are experiencing (think what happened before Cuomo
initially got a grip on the pandemic in New York) and with the
prediction that it is about to get a lot worse.

If you live elsewhere, then have you seen articles like this?

"8 people who died from COVID-19 after letting down their guards
or falling for anti-science rhetoric"

https://www.businessinsider.com/people-who-died-from-coronavirus-afte
r-not-taking-it-seriously-2020-7

https://tinyurl.com/covidiot-deaths
DoD
2021-01-01 20:42:39 UTC
Post by Pamela
Post by DoD
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eqa7WhnW4AĀ
AtAy_?format=jpg&name=medium
That has nothing to do with the number of deaths in the international
comparison tables.
If you lived in the UK you would have heard doctors on the media in
recent days specifying the massive degree of overload their ICU
departments are experiencing (think what happened before Cuomo
initially got a grip on the pandemic in New York) and with the
prediction that it is about to get a lot worse.
If you live elsewhere, then have you seen articles like this?
"8 people who died from COVID-19 after letting down their guards
or falling for anti-science rhetoric"
https://www.businessinsider.com/people-who-died-from-coronavirus-afte
r-not-taking-it-seriously-2020-7
https://tinyurl.com/covidiot-deaths
So, are you saying the graphic is incorrect? As far as doctors and
nurses go, I trust they can get in a woah is me presser in between their
tik toks.
Pamela
2021-01-01 08:47:12 UTC
Post by Joe
On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 22:27:07 GMT
Post by Pamela
The UK is on track once again to have one of the highest Covid
death counts (not death rate) in the world.
I hope it's just a blip due to interrupted data collection at
Xmas.
USA 2,588 deaths per day
Mexico 1,052
Brazil 1,009
UK 964
Germany 618
Italy 555
France 251
Spain 148
from: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
The very poor figures for the UK suggest the government hasn't
been managing the situation as well as other countries.
Perhaps our government thought it was more important to spend
time recently to save face over Brexit than save human lives.
So what should the government have been doing that it wasn't?
For a start the government should not have dithered for weeks,
ignoring scientific advice, while it stuck to its ridiculous 5-day
Xmas rule as long as it did. It could also have implemented more
extensive restrictions on social distancing and types of shop
permitted to open.

Hospitality restrictions should have been implemented without regard
to the bleating of self-interested business owners who were saying
wacky things like their pub was safer than being at home.

Perhaps you are suggesting there was nothing at all the government
could have done to reduce our death rate to that of similar
countries.
abelard
2021-01-01 14:09:11 UTC
Post by Joe
On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 22:27:07 GMT
Post by Pamela
The UK is on track once again to have one of the highest Covid death
counts (not death rate) in the world.
I hope it's just a blip due to interrupted data collection at Xmas.
USA 2,588 deaths per day
Mexico 1,052
Brazil 1,009
UK 964
Germany 618
Italy 555
France 251
Spain 148
from: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
The very poor figures for the UK suggest the government hasn't been
managing the situation as well as other countries.
Perhaps our government thought it was more important to spend time
recently to save face over Brexit than save human lives.
So what should the government have been doing that it wasn't?
they should have ordered covid(sars2) to stop mutating...
that's what gru would have done...
all it needed was captain foresight in charge

and then there's all that wasted effort on producing the
best vaccine available instead of giving more money
to the nhs unions
and why make a vaccine for a tenth of the price of the
usa experimental vaccines

moan moan moan
Pancho
2020-12-31 23:48:16 UTC
Post by Pamela
The UK is on track once again to have one of the highest Covid death
counts (not death rate) in the world.
I hope it's just a blip due to interrupted data collection at Xmas.
<https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/>

Suggests a case fatality rate of 3%. If we are averaging 40,000 cases
per day this week, it seems likely in a couple of weeks we will be
averaging 1,200 deaths per day.
Pamela
2021-01-10 17:58:52 UTC
Post by Pancho
Post by Pamela
The UK is on track once again to have one of the highest Covid
death counts (not death rate) in the world.
I hope it's just a blip due to interrupted data collection at
Xmas.
<https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/>
Suggests a case fatality rate of 3%. If we are averaging 40,000
cases per day this week, it seems likely in a couple of weeks we
will be averaging 1,200 deaths per day.
Looking at recent daily death rates, that's very prescient although we
need to allow the weekend bump pass to see the true level.
Pancho
2021-01-11 11:56:17 UTC
Post by Pamela
Post by Pancho
Post by Pamela
The UK is on track once again to have one of the highest Covid
death counts (not death rate) in the world.
I hope it's just a blip due to interrupted data collection at Xmas.
<https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/>
Suggests a case fatality rate of 3%. If we are averaging 40,000
cases per day this week, it seems likely in a couple of weeks we
will be averaging 1,200 deaths per day.
Looking at recent daily death rates, that's very prescient although we
need to allow the weekend bump pass to see the true level.
Not really, we have repeatedly been told the death rate lags infection
rate by two weeks, a predictable process, if you like math.

The rather worrying thing is that they don't appear to have got the
infection rate under control yet.

The thing I don't have a feel for, but maybe the government do, is when
the vaccination protection will start to significantly reduce the
mortality figures. I would suspect that will only start to have a
significant effect on the daily death stats in a couple of weeks time.
Remembering with vaccination there are additional lags, lag from
vaccination to protection, lag from infection to symptoms/test.

So as Chris Whitty says, the next two weeks will probably be very grim.
Pamela
2021-01-11 13:55:44 UTC
Post by Pancho
Post by Pamela
Post by Pancho
Post by Pamela
[...]
I suspect it may be longer than a couple of weeks as the vaccine
will lower the transmission rate but the new virus has raised it
significantly.

As you say, there is a lag time for the effect of the vaccine to
come through and initally it may be very delayed because those
elderly in care homes getting vaccinated are not virus spreaders.
The vaccine offers them individual protection without community
transmission rates being much affected by their immunity.
Pancho
2021-01-13 13:48:40 UTC
Post by Pamela
Post by Pancho
Post by Pamela
Post by Pancho
Post by Pamela
[...]
Yeah, I just meant the vaccine would start to have a significant effect
on the daily death stats, not that it would dominate the effects of
other factors. Factors like the infection rate. Eventually, it probably
will, before the end of February. Assuming the vaccine does what it says
on the tin: almost entirely stops serious Covid and hospitalisation/death.
Post by Pamela
As you say, there is a lag time for the effect of the vaccine to
come through and initally it may be very delayed because those
elderly in care homes getting vaccinated are not virus spreaders.
The vaccine offers them individual protection without community
transmission rates being much affected by their immunity.
Yeah, the vaccine should affect death stats much sooner/more
significantly than community infection rates.

It will probably present quite an interesting dilemma. We will reach a
point where, due to vaccination of the vulnerable, lockdown can be
removed without causing a high hospitalisation/death rate, but it will
still cause a massive infection wave in the young/healthy.

Will the government just accept that? This point will probably come
around the end of March. Summer will reduce infections anyway, so maybe
they will let it rip over the summer.

JNugent
2021-01-13 11:45:08 UTC
Post by Pancho
Post by Pamela
Post by Pancho
Post by Pamela
The UK is on track once again to have one of the highest Covid
death counts (not death rate) in the world.
I hope it's just a blip due to interrupted data collection at Xmas.
<https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/>
Suggests a case fatality rate of 3%. If we are averaging 40,000
cases per day this week, it seems likely in a couple of weeks we
will be averaging 1,200 deaths per day.
Looking at recent daily death rates, that's very prescient although we
need to allow the weekend bump pass to see the true level.
Not really, we have repeatedly been told the death rate lags infection
rate by two weeks, a predictable process, if you like math.
The rather worrying thing is that they don't appear to have got the
infection rate under control yet.
The infection rate or the positive testing / diagnosis rate?
Pancho
2021-01-13 13:33:02 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by Pancho
The rather worrying thing is that they don't appear to have got the
infection rate under control yet.
The infection rate or the positive testing / diagnosis rate?
I was using the reported number of daily positive cases as a proxy for
the infection rate. Encouragingly it has come down in the two days since
I made that post.

Regardless of a current potential improvement I think the NHS is in for
a bumpy few weeks.