Trump takes the first steps to US Dictatorship
2020-07-30 17:58:57 UTC
Donald Trump on Thursday morning floated the idea of delaying November’s
presidential election, justifying the extraordinary suggestion by repeating
his false claim that widespread voting by mail from home would result in a
“fraudulent” result.

Trump’s incendiary proposal was dropped in a Thursday morning tweet, as the
US was reeling from bad economic news, digesting the death toll of 150,000
having been reached in the coronavirus pandemic and preparing for the funeral
of Congressman John Lewis in Atlanta. In it he claimed without evidence that
“universal mail-in voting” would lead to “the most INACCURATE &
FRAUDULENT election in history”.

It also coincided with the preparations for a retreat by federal law
enforcement agents from Portland, Oregon, where they had beencalled an
“occupying force” and “Trump’s troops” by the state governor after
being sent in to tackle protests sustained daily since the killing of George
Floyd by police in Minneapolis in May, which triggered nationwide
demonstrations and a fresh surge of support for the Black Lives Matter
movement.

Trump, pontificating that the result would be a “great embarrassment to the
USA”, raised the prospect of a postponement. “Delay the Election until
people can properly, securely and safely vote???” he tweeted.

The US constitution grants the power to set an election date to Congress, not
the president, and numerous opposition figures immediately rejected Trump’s
suggestion, as did a commissioner with the US Federal Election Commission,
Ellen Weintraub.

Michael Beschloss, a historian of the US presidency tweeted
(https://twitter.com/BeschlossDC/status/1288822968613773314?s=20): “Never
in American history—not even during the Civil War and World War II--has
there been a successful move to “Delay the Election” for President.”

Congressional Republicans quickly sought to distance themselves from the
president over his suggestion. The Senate majority leader, Mitch McConnell,
told a Kentucky television station that the election date was “set in
stone”

Senator Marco Rubio, a loyalist on most issues, said: “I wish he hadn’t
said that, but it’s not going to change: We are going to have an election
in November.”

Lindsey Graham, normally a cheerleader for the president, told CNN he did not
think Trump’s tweet about the election was “a particularly good idea”.

The Democratic representative Zoe Lofgren, who chairs the House committee
overseeing election security, rejected the idea of a delay.

“Only Congress can change the date of our elections,” Lofgren said in an
email to the Reuters new agency, adding: “Under no circumstances will we
consider doing so to accommodate the President’s inept and haphazard
response to the coronavirus pandemic, or give credence to the lies and
misinformation he spreads regarding the manner in which Americans can safely
and securely cast their ballots.”

The Democratic House speaker, Nancy Pelosi, simply tweeted quoting the US
constitution stating: “The Congress may determine the Time of choosing the
Electors, and the Day on which they shall give their Votes; which Day shall
be the same throughout the United States.”

The Washington state attorney general, Bob Ferguson, issued a statement
saying there was no evidence that mail-in ballots increase voter fraud.

He said: “President Trump’s statement that he may unlawfully delay the
November election is undemocratic, un-American, and, sadly, entirely
predictable.’”

And added: “For months, my legal team has been preparing for the
possibility that the president might attempt to unlawfully delay the
election. If that happens, we will see President Trump in court – and we
will win.”

The secretary of state, Mike Pompeo, who was appearing before the Senate
foreign relations committee at the time Trump’s tweet went out, sought to
dodge questions on whether the president had the authority to delay the
election.

“I’m not going to enter a legal judgment on that on the fly,” Pompeo, a
Harvard Law School graduate, said. “The department of justice and others
will make that legal determination.”

The justice department does not have the power to change the date of the
election.

The idea that the US president should suggest a delay in a ballot that will
decide whether or not he stays in the White House for another four years is
certain to inflame fears that he is preparing for a fierce battle that could
threaten the integrity of US democracy.Recent polls
(https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/19/biden-trump-polls-matchup-
369261)have him falling significantly behind his Democratic rival Joe Biden.

Trump has already indicated that he might not accept a Biden victory on
election day, 3 November. In arecent interview
(https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-suggests-that-he-wont-accept-the-2020-
election-results-if-he-loses-2020-7)with Fox News Sunday he declined to
commit to abiding by the results.

The idea that voting from home in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic would
lead to an explosion of fraud has become agrowing theme
(https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/22/trump-mail-in-voting-fraud-
claims)for Trump. Most states have a long history of administering mail-in
voting, without any significant incidence of fraud.

Trump himself and numerous members of his administration, including
Vice-PresidentMike Pence
(https://www.businessinsider.com/vice-president-pence-voted-by-mail-in-
indiana-gop-primary-2020-6), have voted by mail.
Ian Jackson
2020-07-30 19:35:53 UTC
Donald Trump on Thursday morning floated the idea of delaying November’s
presidential election, justifying the extraordinary suggestion by repeating
his false claim that widespread voting by mail from home would result in a
“fraudulent” result.
It's been pretty obvious for a long time that this has been coming.

As with many third world countries, once a 'strong man' gets
democratically elected into power, when the time comes for the next
election the citizens can no longer be trusted to vote the 'right way'
again. It's therefore in their own interests that they should be
protected from making an incorrect decision.
Ian
Basil Jet
2020-07-30 22:12:22 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Keema's Nan
Donald Trump on Thursday morning floated the idea of delaying November’s
presidential election, justifying the extraordinary suggestion by repeating
his false claim that widespread voting by mail from home would result in a
“fraudulent” result.
It's been pretty obvious for a long time that this has been coming.
As with many third world countries, once a 'strong man' gets
democratically elected into power, when the time comes for the next
election the citizens can no longer be trusted to vote the 'right way'
again. It's therefore in their own interests that they should be
protected from making an incorrect decision.
You know that the British government cancelled this year's London mayor
elections?
--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
Adam & The Ants - 1981 - Prince Charming
Ian Jackson
2020-07-31 07:42:26 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Keema's Nan
Donald Trump on Thursday morning floated the idea of delaying November’s
presidential election, justifying the extraordinary suggestion by repeating
his false claim that widespread voting by mail from home would
result in a
“fraudulent” result.
It's been pretty obvious for a long time that this has been coming.
As with many third world countries, once a 'strong man' gets
democratically elected into power, when the time comes for the next
election the citizens can no longer be trusted to vote the 'right way'
again. It's therefore in their own interests that they should be
protected from making an incorrect decision.
You know that the British government cancelled this year's London mayor
elections?
But presumably it's the government's decision - and not simply the mayor
saying "Now I'm here, I'm not budging!"?
Ian
Basil Jet
2020-07-31 09:24:21 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Keema's Nan
[...]
Right, and Trump has suggested that the Senate might postpone the
election, not that he will shoot anyone who tries to hold one.
--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
Zero 7 - 2006 - The Garden
Keema's Nan
2020-07-31 10:18:22 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Keema's Nan
[...]
But did the London mayor suggest the government might cancel this year’s
election?

If not, why use that analogy?
Ian Jackson
2020-07-31 14:34:19 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Keema's Nan
[...]
And, of course, the London mayor is Labour, while the Government isn't.
If not for 'honest purposes', why would the Tories want to keep a Labour
guy in post?
Ian
Keema's Nan
2020-07-31 15:03:48 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Keema's Nan
[...]
You have the phrase honest purposes in quotes, but I can see nowhere on this
thread where that was used, so why pretend you are quoting some other reply?

Are you trying to be deliberately dishonest, and if so - why?
Ian Jackson
2020-08-01 09:45:54 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Keema's Nan
[...]
Why would you think that I was referring to something previously
referred to? If I was, I'd probably use double quotation marks (viz
".....").
Post by Keema's Nan
Are you trying to be deliberately dishonest, and if so - why?
Are you trying to be deliberately silly, and if so - why?
Ian
Keema's Nan
2020-08-01 11:15:00 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Keema's Nan
[...]
You are expecting me to be a mind reader now.

Well done.
If you say so.
Ian Jackson
2020-08-01 13:03:53 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Ian Jackson
In
Post by Keema's Nan
[...]
No - a lateral thinker would be adequate.
Post by Keema's Nan
Well done.
It was nothing.
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Keema's Nan
Are you trying to be deliberately dishonest, and if so - why?
Are you trying to be deliberately silly, and if so - why?
If you say so.
Oh - I do! I do!
Ian
Keema's Nan
2020-08-01 14:20:05 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Ian Jackson
In
Post by Keema's Nan
[...]
No chance. Post what you really mean, or don’t bother.

Trying to score one-upmanship points is best left to when you are driving.
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by Keema's Nan
Well done.
It was nothing.
Oh - I do! I do!
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
2020-07-31 14:08:44 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Ian Jackson
Donald Trump on Thursday morning floated the idea of delaying November’s
presidential election, justifying the extraordinary suggestion by repeating
his false claim that widespread voting by mail from home would result in a
“fraudulent” result.
It's been pretty obvious for a long time that this has been coming.
As with many third world countries, once a 'strong man' gets
democratically elected into power, when the time comes for the next
election the citizens can no longer be trusted to vote the 'right way'
again. It's therefore in their own interests that they should be
protected from making an incorrect decision.
You know that the British government cancelled this year's London mayor
elections?
Over here, the government can do that. Over there, it has to go
through 'Congress'.
Algernon Goss-Custard
2020-07-30 20:19:20 UTC
Donald Trump on Thursday morning floated the idea of delaying November’s
presidential election, justifying the extraordinary suggestion by repeating
his false claim that widespread voting by mail from home would result in a
“fraudulent” result.
Trump’s incendiary proposal was dropped in a Thursday morning tweet, as the
US was reeling from bad economic news, digesting the death toll of 150,000
having been reached in the coronavirus pandemic and preparing for the funeral
of Congressman John Lewis in Atlanta. In it he claimed without evidence that
“universal mail-in voting” would lead to “the most INACCURATE &
FRAUDULENT election in history”.
How many characters can you get in a tweet?
Post by Keema's Nan
It also coincided with the preparations for a retreat by federal law
enforcement agents from Portland, Oregon, where they had beencalled an
“occupying force” and “Trump’s troops” by the state governor after
being sent in to tackle protests sustained daily since the killing of George
Floyd by police in Minneapolis in May, which triggered nationwide
demonstrations and a fresh surge of support for the Black Lives Matter
movement.
WTF has that got to do with postponing the presidential election?
Post by Keema's Nan
Trump, pontificating that the result would be a “great embarrassment to the
USA”, raised the prospect of a postponement. “Delay the Election until
people can properly, securely and safely vote???” he tweeted.
The US constitution grants the power to set an election date to Congress, not
the president,
And has Trump said he should be able to set the election date? No. Well
that's all right then. No problem.
Post by Keema's Nan
and numerous opposition figures immediately rejected Trump’s
suggestion,
Naturally. That's their job.
Post by Keema's Nan
as did a commissioner with the US Federal Election Commission,
Ellen Weintraub.
Michael Beschloss, a historian of the US presidency tweeted
(https://twitter.com/BeschlossDC/status/1288822968613773314?s=20): “Never
in American history—not even during the Civil War and World War II--has
there been a successful move to “Delay the Election” for President.”
Congressional Republicans quickly sought to distance themselves from the
president over his suggestion.
Many Republicans publicly disagree with Trump on many matters. That's
completely routine too.
Post by Keema's Nan
[...]
Did Trump really say that? What exactly did he say?
Algernon
Keema's Nan
2020-07-31 07:57:36 UTC
Post by Algernon Goss-Custard
Post by Keema's Nan
Donald Trump on Thursday morning floated the idea of delaying November’s
presidential election, justifying the extraordinary suggestion by repeating
his false claim that widespread voting by mail from home would result in a
“fraudulent” result.
Trump’s incendiary proposal was dropped in a Thursday morning tweet, as the
US was reeling from bad economic news, digesting the death toll of 150,000
having been reached in the coronavirus pandemic and preparing for the funeral
of Congressman John Lewis in Atlanta. In it he claimed without evidence that
“universal mail-in voting” would lead to “the most INACCURATE&
FRAUDULENT election in history”.
How many characters can you get in a tweet?
No idea, but I suspect I am about to find out.
Post by Keema's Nan
It also coincided with the preparations for a retreat by federal law
enforcement agents from Portland, Oregon, where they had beencalled an
“occupying force” and “Trump’s troops” by the state governor after
being sent in to tackle protests sustained daily since the killing of George
Floyd by police in Minneapolis in May, which triggered nationwide
demonstrations and a fresh surge of support for the Black Lives Matter
movement.
WTF has that got to do with postponing the presidential election?
No idea but I suspect I’m about to find out that it has none.
Post by Keema's Nan
Trump, pontificating that the result would be a “great embarrassment to the
USA”, raised the prospect of a postponement. “Delay the Election until
people can properly, securely and safely vote???” he tweeted.
The US constitution grants the power to set an election date to Congress, not
the president,
And has Trump said he should be able to set the election date?
I don’t know, as most of the time I treat his utterings as the ramblings of
a barely coherent narcissist.
Post by Algernon Goss-Custard
No. Well
that's all right then. No problem.
Good.
Post by Keema's Nan
as did a commissioner with the US Federal Election Commission,
Ellen Weintraub.
Michael Beschloss, a historian of the US presidency tweeted
(https://twitter.com/BeschlossDC/status/1288822968613773314?s=20): “Never
in American history—not even during the Civil War and World War II--has
there been a successful move to “Delay the Election” for President.”
Congressional Republicans quickly sought to distance themselves from the
president over his suggestion.
Many Republicans publicly disagree with Trump on many matters. That's
completely routine too.
<snipped the faux court martial bullshit>