Housing association entitled to prioritise Orthodox Jew
RH156RH
2020-10-17 18:34:26 UTC
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/10/16/housing-association-entitled-prioritise-orthodox-jews-supreme/

Housing association entitled to prioritise Orthodox Jews, Supreme Court rules

Housing association entitled to prioritise Orthodox Jews, Supreme Court rules
The housing association successfully argued in court that the Jewish community suffers real disadvantages when it comes to social housing

ByGabriella Swerling, SOCIAL AND RELIGIOUS AFFAIRS EDITOR

16 October 2020 • 5:44pm
Orthodox Jews can be prioritised by housing associations, the Supreme Court has ruled, because they experience “particular disadvantages”.

A panel of five justices unanimously ruled that it is "proportionate" for the north London-based Agudas Israel Housing Association (AIHA) to adopt a policy which means it only accepts Orthodox Jews.

The court dismissed an appeal by a mother-of-four, known only as Z, who argued that AIHA and Hackney Council unlawfully discriminated against her and her family.

The woman took her case to the Supreme Court after losing challenges in the High Court and Court of Appeal.

AIHA successfully argued in court that the Jewish community suffers real disadvantages when it comes to social housing.

This includes discrimination on the basis of large families, unique housing requirements, levels of poverty, and anti-Semitism due to the different manner of dress within the community and the fact that, for many, English is not their first language.

Giving the lead ruling, Lord Sales said the lower courts took account of the "small impact" of the policy on people outside the Orthodox Jewish community when considering the case.

He said: "It was proportionate for AIHA to adopt an allocation policy which aimed to meet the particular needs and alleviate the particular disadvantages experienced by members of the Orthodox Jewish community, as a group, in connection with their religion.”

In a statement after the ruling, AIHA chief executive, Ita Symons, said: "Since we started, our focus has always been to ensure that we provide appropriate social housing to those members of the Orthodox Jewish community who need it.

"We began as a small group of motivated individuals who saw a local need within our community and built an organisation to fill that need.

"We are proud that we have worked successfully alongside Hackney local authority for so many years, and that hundreds of families have benefited from our work.

"We have invested a huge amount into today's judgment and it now proves, beyond any doubt, tha

Mrs Symons added: "If this case had gone the other way, it could have had serious ramifications for the entire faith charity sector.

Read more https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/10/16/housing-association-entitled-prioritise-orthodox-jews-supreme/
KKKernal Corn
2020-10-17 18:55:41 UTC
On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 11:34:26 -0700 (PDT), RH156RH
Post by RH156RH
[...]
Luckily for the jews, she wasn't black.
Post by RH156RH
The woman took her case to the Supreme Court after losing challenges in the High Court and Court of Appeal.
AIHA successfully argued in court that the Jewish community suffers real disadvantages when it comes to social housing.
This includes discrimination on the basis of large families,
WAY too large 'families'.
Post by RH156RH
unique housing requirements
Must be within walking distance of a shul.
Post by RH156RH
levels of poverty,
Levels of *declared* poverty. Bank accounts in Cyprus are not
included in the calculation.
Post by RH156RH
and anti-Semitism due to the different manner of dress within the community and the fact that, for many, English is not their first language.
No, the 'anti-semitism'®™ is ENTIRELY the consequence of jew
behaviour.