some more covid numbers that suggest very different reporting methods between countries
2020-05-30 14:09:11 UTC

2020-05-30 14:36:18 UTC
2020-05-30 15:03:09 UTC

Poland 13

Romania 13

Hungary 8

Netherlands 28

And.......

UK 324
abelard
2020-05-30 15:16:29 UTC
On Sat, 30 May 2020 16:03:09 +0100, Keema's Nan
Post by Keema's Nan
alleged cases deaths ratio
1 USA 1,795,635 104,581 17.16
2 Brazil 468,338 27,944 16.72
3 Russia 396,575 4,555 87.06
4 Spain 285,644 27,121 10.53
5 UK 271,222 38,161 7.11
6 Italy 232,248 33,229 6.98
7 France 186,835 28,714 6.5
19 Belgium 58,186 9,453 6.15
15 Mexico 84,627 9,415 9
Covid-related deaths reported yesterday
Spain 2
Italy 87
Germany 24
France 52
Turkey 28
Belgium 42
Sweden 84
Portugal 14
Ireland 6
Poland 13
Romania 13
Hungary 8
Netherlands 28
And.......
UK 324
my rule is...don't go to hospital

i blame the nhs
Roger
2020-05-31 10:22:04 UTC
alleged cases deaths ratio
1 USA 1,795,635 104,581 17.16
2 Brazil 468,338 27,944 16.72
3 Russia 396,575 4,555 87.06
4 Spain 285,644 27,121 10.53
5 UK 271,222 38,161 7.11
6 Italy 232,248 33,229 6.98
7 France 186,835 28,714 6.5
19 Belgium 58,186 9,453 6.15
15 Mexico 84,627 9,415 9
This should come as no suprise. National statistics are known to be incomparable and scientists have been noting this from the outset. Countries adopt the most reliable means they have to reliably assess the curve, not absolute values.

But I would also note that trying to use national statistics for cause and effect is not only wrong, it's completely misleading.

If we look in detail at any country, we see large regional variations; these variations are generally greater than the differences between nations.

In order to establish why death rates are higher in some places than others then we need to drill down to a more local level.

For example, air pollution, particularly micro particle pollution, seems to be a relevant factor, both statistically and from medical research. Lets' just imagine that it's the only factor; comparing national statistics would only indicate the proportion of vulnerable regions, it would do nothing to help us identify the source.

It can also lead to complacency. There are some countries which have some comfortably low figures, at a national level, but at a regional level there are hotspots every bit as bad as those countries that have high national figures.
abelard
2020-05-31 12:32:37 UTC
Post by Roger
Post by abelard
alleged cases deaths ratio
1 USA 1,795,635 104,581 17.16
2 Brazil 468,338 27,944 16.72
3 Russia 396,575 4,555 87.06
4 Spain 285,644 27,121 10.53
5 UK 271,222 38,161 7.11
6 Italy 232,248 33,229 6.98
7 France 186,835 28,714 6.5
19 Belgium 58,186 9,453 6.15
15 Mexico 84,627 9,415 9
This should come as no suprise. National statistics are known to be incomparable and scientists have been noting this from the outset. Countries adopt the most reliable means they have to reliably assess the curve, not absolute values.
where is the 1% death rate coming from? those who don't get it!
RH156RH
2020-05-31 10:26:33 UTC
alleged cases deaths ratio
1 USA 1,795,635 104,581 17.16
2 Brazil 468,338 27,944 16.72
3 Russia 396,575 4,555 87.06
4 Spain 285,644 27,121 10.53
5 UK 271,222 38,161 7.11
6 Italy 232,248 33,229 6.98
7 France 186,835 28,714 6.5
19 Belgium 58,186 9,453 6.15
15 Mexico 84,627 9,415 9
Wow! THat must have taken ages to load into "Abelard's" 1947 valve computer memory and even longer to process... RH
Keema's Nan
2020-05-31 11:30:05 UTC
Post by RH156RH
alleged cases deaths ratio
1 USA 1,795,635 104,581 17.16
2 Brazil 468,338 27,944 16.72
3 Russia 396,575 4,555 87.06
4 Spain 285,644 27,121 10.53
5 UK 271,222 38,161 7.11
6 Italy 232,248 33,229 6.98
7 France 186,835 28,714 6.5
19 Belgium 58,186 9,453 6.15
15 Mexico 84,627 9,415 9
Wow! THat must have taken ages to load into "Abelard's" 1947 valve computer
memory and even longer to process... RH
It certainly would.

Even trying to enter 1,795,635 into a 4-bit machine running only binary
notation is time consuming.