Bristol University hires slavery history professor...
2019-10-30 12:43:49 UTC
...to see whether it needs to apologise for "colonial" past.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/30/bristol-university-hires-slavery-history-professor-see-whether/

Clown World.
Dan S. MacAbre
2019-10-30 12:48:20 UTC
Can you imagine that the answer will be 'no'?
Incubus
I can imagine it but I can't believe it will be no.
Farmer Giles
2019-10-30 13:37:10 UTC
...to see whether it needs to apologise for "colonial" past.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/30/bristol-university-hires-slavery-history-professor-see-whether/
Clown World.
I wonder if she will investigate the owners of these slave ships?

Abigail
Crown
Nassau
Four Sisters
Anne & Eliza
Prudent Betty
Hester
Elizabeth
Antigua
Betsy
Polly
White Horse
Expedition
Charlotte
Caracoa

Unlikely considering the treatment of Professor Tony Martin who did:

Incubus
2019-10-30 14:01:42 UTC
http://youtu.be/4bu36QjaHHM
Her findings will adhere to the chosen narrative...
Farmer Giles
2019-10-30 15:11:09 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Incubus
[...]
Indeed they will. Those naughty and wicked whites - even though less
than 5% of whites owned slaves.
Keema's Nan
2019-10-30 15:24:06 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Incubus
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Incubus
[...]
I wonder what the percentage is these days? Judging by the number of ‘hand
car wash’ joints in eastern England, there must be a lot of slaves being
kept out of public view.
Dan S. MacAbre
2019-10-30 16:12:46 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Incubus
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Incubus
[...]
At some time in the future, someone will be forced to pay reparations
for that.
abelard
2019-10-30 16:52:28 UTC
On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 12:43:49 -0000 (UTC), Incubus
Post by Incubus
...to see whether it needs to apologise for "colonial" past.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/30/bristol-university-hires-slavery-history-professor-see-whether/
Clown World.
his first semester will doubtless be....

slavery is a viable economic model...marxism is not...

discuss why this should be the case
2019-10-30 18:04:55 UTC
Post by Incubus
...to see whether it needs to apologise for "colonial" past.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/30/bristol-university-hires-slavery
-history-professor-see-whether/
Clown World.
his first semester will doubtless be....
I believe said prof is a wumman.
Farmer Giles
Don't confuse him with facts.
m***@btopenworld.com
2019-10-30 19:12:05 UTC
Post by Incubus
...to see whether it needs to apologise for "colonial" past.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/30/bristol-university-hires-slavery
-history-professor-see-whether/
Clown World.
his first semester will doubtless be....
I believe said prof is a wumman.
So was Mother Teresa, Joan d'Arc, Elizabeth Fry, Florence Nightingale, Marie Curie, Boudica and many others.

The idea that talent or any other human quality is naturally ascribed on the basis of gender is both out of date and defies logic.

It further shows how stupid and inconsequential you are,
Keema's Nan
2019-10-30 19:49:37 UTC
Post by Incubus
...to see whether it needs to apologise for "colonial" past.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/30/bristol-university-hires-slave
ry
-history-professor-see-whether/
Clown World.
his first semester will doubtless be....
I believe said prof is a wumman.
So was Mother Teresa, Joan d'Arc, Elizabeth Fry, Florence Nightingale, Marie
Curie, Boudica and many others.
Were they?

I’d never have guessed.
Thanks for the compliment.
Farmer Giles
2019-10-30 21:19:35 UTC
Post by Incubus
...to see whether it needs to apologise for "colonial" past.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/30/bristol-university-hires-slavery
-history-professor-see-whether/
Clown World.
his first semester will doubtless be....
I believe said prof is a wumman.
So was Mother Teresa, Joan d'Arc, Elizabeth Fry, Florence Nightingale, Marie Curie, Boudica and many others.
The idea that talent or any other human quality is naturally ascribed on the basis of gender is both out of date and defies logic.
It further shows how stupid and inconsequential you are,
Do you not realise that he was simply correcting the fact that the
professor was being wrongly referred to as a he?

Perhaps, like Babbelard, you should look at the link provided before you
pile in and make a fool of yourself.
abelard
Keema's Nan
2019-10-31 14:42:36 UTC
Post by Incubus
...to see whether it needs to apologise for "colonial" past.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/30/bristol-university-hires-s
lavery -history-professor-see-whether/
Clown World.
his first semester will doubtless be....
I believe said prof is a wumman.
So?
So, I was just correcting the implication (by the use of the phrase 'his
first semester’) that the professor was a man.

For the record, her name is Olivette Otele.

Jeez, one would think I had ordered the killing of all Pamelas.
Incubus
2019-10-31 15:02:37 UTC
Post by Incubus
...to see whether it needs to apologise for "colonial" past.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/30/bristol-university-hires-s
lavery -history-professor-see-whether/
Clown World.
his first semester will doubtless be....
I believe said prof is a wumman.
So?
So, I was just correcting the implication (by the use of the phrase 'his
first semester’) that the professor was a man.
For the record, her name is Olivette Otele.
Jeez, one would think I had ordered the killing of all Pamelas.
You could put that in a party manifesto. It would probably be more credible
than the Labour and Lib Dem manifestos combined.

Of course, manifesto is a problematic word these days. We should embrace
diversity and intersectionality call them "womanifestos" instead.
Keema's Nan
2019-10-31 15:41:30 UTC
Post by Incubus
...to see whether it needs to apologise for "colonial" past.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/30/bristol-university-hires-s
lavery -history-professor-see-whether/
Clown World.
his first semester will doubtless be....
I believe said prof is a wumman.
So?
So, I was just correcting the implication (by the use of the phrase 'his
first semester’) that the professor was a man.
For the record, her name is Olivette Otele.
Jeez, one would think I had ordered the killing of all Pamelas.
You could put that in a party manifesto. It would probably be more credible
than the Labour and Lib Dem manifestos combined.
Of course, manifesto is a problematic word these days. We should embrace
diversity and intersectionality call them "womanifestos" instead.
Although womanifestos still has the word ‘man’ hidden in it, which
obviously points to our superiority; therefore I think we should use
ladyfestos or wimminfestos which sound quite erotic.
Incubus
"Bitchfest" has a nice ring to it.
Ophelia

Ouch!
Ophelia

lol Thwap!
John
Not all blacks were slaves and not all slave owners were jews.
abelard
Mark, Devon
2019-10-30 20:17:50 UTC
Clown World.>>
Selling lives for profit.
abelard
2019-10-30 20:43:34 UTC
On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 13:17:50 -0700 (PDT), "Mark, Devon"
Post by Mark, Devon
Clown World.>>
Selling lives for profit.
and what do you suppose every worker does with his time?

and then of course there are others that steal other people's time by
removing lead from church roofs
2019-10-31 09:49:56 UTC
Post by Mark, Devon
Clown World.>>
Selling lives for profit.
The conventional narrative is that white people were solely to blame, which
anyone who knows about the history knows is not the entire picture by a long
shot. It's the obsessive level of self-flagelleation by modern so-called
Liberals that prompted the reference to Clown World.
Keema's Nan
2019-10-31 10:08:11 UTC
Post by Mark, Devon
Clown World.>>
Selling lives for profit.
The conventional narrative is that white people were solely to blame, which
anyone who knows about the history knows is not the entire picture by a long
shot. It's the obsessive level of self-flagelleation by modern so-called
Liberals that prompted the reference to Clown World.
Yes it is rather ironic that the bleeding-hearts wish to purge themselves of
the extreme guilt they feel about something which happened centuries ago and
today’s Liberals can have no responsibility for; and yet they seem to turn
a blind eye to modern slavery (which they conveniently label
‘people-trafficking’ because it sounds less horrific) under their noses.

Maybe because historic slaves were mostly black, and black people have been
elevated to ‘must never be criticised’ status; whilst most modern slaves
tend to be Asian, who now rank in the ’serves them right for breeding like
rabbits’ category.
m***@btopenworld.com
2019-10-31 11:14:51 UTC
today’s Liberals can have no responsibility for; and yet they seem to turn
a blind eye to modern slavery (which they conveniently label
‘people-trafficking’ because it sounds less horrific) under their noses.
Maybe because historic slaves were mostly black, and black people have been
elevated to ‘must never be criticised’ status; whilst most modern slaves
tend to be Asian, who now rank in the ’serves them right for breeding like
rabbits’ category.
Depends how far back you want to go.

Throughout recorded history there have always been slaves of all creeds and colours.

The Roman galleys were manned by slaves who rowed alongside criminals' It was customary for conquered peoples to be carted off against their will or captured women to be turned into reluctant wives or concubines. It was accepted that people who today we would regard as POWs were mutilated to make them unfit for military service or even put to the sword.

What else was a military commander to do? Deplete his own sparse resources by feeding and guarding them? In those days armies lived of the land. There were no lines of logistics and it was the conquerors who had the first of oten already inadequate pickings.

One must at least try to see the practices of our forbears through the same eyes to make sense of the world as they did. Yes to today's socially progressed and most importantly wealthier societies slavery is an anathema to all decent people. There are alternatives, and as a system, slavery is not very efficient anyway.

However, in a society where life was cheap and death acceptable and invitable Where a sizeable minority of children never saw adulthood, where a man was old at age 40 and beggars and thieves inhabited the streets, it is quite easy to see things differently.

Yes white men did go to Africa, bought humans from their own kind and transported them across the seas ne'er to see their loved ones again so that their labour could be used to enrich others.

Today we would find that abhorrent but not so then. Some slaves would not complete the journey but neither would some of the sailor crew that carried them and together they would be put over the side together So long as sufficient numbers did to make the venture viable the practice would continue.

Moral codes would be adjusted so as to justify what to us is an evil practice. After all weren't many of these unfortunates introduce to christianity? Much more imperative then! Didn't we not engage in infrastructure projects in the countries we took by force?

We cannot go on beating ourselves up for the sins of our forebears now long dead even if the were sins from their perspective.

Sins die with their perpetrators. Their successors are innocent of them.
Dan S. MacAbre
2019-10-31 12:08:21 UTC
Post by Mark, Devon
Clown World.>>
Selling lives for profit.
The conventional narrative is that white people were solely to blame, which
anyone who knows about the history knows is not the entire picture by a long
shot. It's the obsessive level of self-flagelleation by modern so-called
Liberals that prompted the reference to Clown World.
Not only that. When our leaders start apologising on our behalf, they
are saying that /all/ white people are to blame.
Dan S. MacAbre
2019-10-31 22:30:44 UTC
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by Incubus
Post by Mark, Devon
Clown World.>>
Selling lives for profit.
The conventional narrative is that white people were solely to blame, which
anyone who knows about the history knows is not the entire picture by a long
shot. It's the obsessive level of self-flagelleation by modern so-called
Liberals that prompted the reference to Clown World.
Not only that. When our leaders start apologising on our behalf, they
are saying that /all/ white people are to blame.
Worse, in many cases the position is that _only_ white people are to blame. The European slave traders bought the African slaves from the Arab slave traders who did the kidnapping or traded goods for slaves from the POWs of inter-tribal wars.This went on for quite a while and in some forms continues to this day. Apparently in the looking glass world of status garnering self justification we are not to call that last slavery it was tribalism (which merely conflates the act with its justification).
See also Mercedarian, also called Nolascan, member of Order of Our Lady of Mercy, also called Knights of Saint Eulalia, religious order founded by St. Peter Nolasco in Spain in 1218, for the purpose of ransoming Christian captives from the Moors. For the ladies in 1265 a second order of Mercedarians for women was founded in Spain by St. Mary de Cervello. Both still going today. Dunno if they still concern themselves with slavery in all its forms though.
The Ottomans would only let the Great Leader sleep with Christian slaves as they had no family and therefore there would be no Machiavellian disputes over succession. This worked okay and was adopted by Ottoman dependencies, one odd result was that a Scottish lady, kidnapped by corsairs, ended up as Empress of Morrocco (for a time, a rival ex Vizier did her in IIRC).
Humans really are just uppety chimps (we share much if not most of our social behaviours and misdemeanours, notably in violence against women). A psychologist friend calls humanity 'earthblight' which has a nice ring to it, but he is Scottish.
Cheers
Mike
Doesn't matter. The only rule of the game is that the west will decline
with good grace, addicted to cheap consumerism. A few people will get
very rich, and the rest of us probably won't feel so bad, really.
p***@gmail.com
2019-10-31 23:39:36 UTC
Post by Mark, Devon
Clown World.>>
Selling lives for profit.
The conventional narrative is that white people were solely to blame, which
anyone who knows about the history knows is not the entire picture by a long
shot.
As one who has recently studied the abolition of the transatlantic slave trade as an undergraduate I can most emphtically say it is not the conventional narrative. The narrative, if there is a single one, is that that interptretation ignores the concept of 'African agency'. There is plenty of evidence of Africans being key agents in the trade, both on the coast and in the interior as sophisticated traders, sometimes to the economic detriment of the Europeans with whom they traded.
Post by Incubus
It's the obsessive level of self-flagelleation by modern so-called
Liberals that prompted the reference to Clown World.
Having read into the Glasgow one after it was first reported, and living outside Bristol where there's debate over the legacy of John Colston and the (continuing) influence of the Merchant Venturers, I'd argue that isn't the case. Rather it's a re-examination of the legacy of the slave trade and the extent to which the wealth they generated still contributes to the university today.

It's a fascinating subject to study.

The reparations from Glasgow Uni by the way are in academic partnerships.

Patrick
Incubus
2019-11-01 09:52:17 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Post by Incubus
Post by Mark, Devon
Clown World.>>
Selling lives for profit.
The conventional narrative is that white people were solely to blame, which
anyone who knows about the history knows is not the entire picture by a long
shot.
As one who has recently studied the abolition of the transatlantic slave trade as an undergraduate I can most emphtically say it is not the conventional narrative. The narrative, if there is a single one, is that that interptretation ignores the concept of 'African agency'. There is plenty of evidence of Africans being key agents in the trade, both on the coast and in the interior as sophisticated traders, sometimes to the economic detriment of the Europeans with whom they traded.
The media and the various pressure groups completely ignore the role that
African leaders played in slavery. Pointing it out is tantamount to a hate
crime where proponents of Intersectionality are concerned. Your university
course may have gone into more detail but that is not the picture that is being
presented to the people at large.
Post by p***@gmail.com
Post by Incubus
It's the obsessive level of self-flagelleation by modern so-called
Liberals that prompted the reference to Clown World.
Having read into the Glasgow one after it was first reported, and living outside Bristol where there's debate over the legacy of John Colston and the (continuing) influence of the Merchant Venturers, I'd argue that isn't the case. Rather it's a re-examination of the legacy of the slave trade and the extent to which the wealth they generated still contributes to the university today.
They'll re-examine the legacy of the slave trade but they won't re-examine the
benefit that Western Civilisation brought. It is entirely political, brought
about by people mired in victim culture on the one hand and people mired in
self-loathing on the other.
Post by p***@gmail.com
It's a fascinating subject to study.
The reparations from Glasgow Uni by the way are in academic partnerships.
To the tune of £20m according to The Guardian.

"Glasgow University is to pay £20m in reparations to atone for its historical
links to the transatlantic slave trade in what the University of West Indies
has described as a 'bold, historic' move.

"It signed an agreement with the University of the West Indies to fund a
joint centre for development research, at a ceremony in Glasgow on Friday
morning."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/aug/23/glasgow-university-slave-trade-reparations

That's a lot more than a simple academic partnership.
p***@gmail.com
2019-11-06 16:57:23 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Post by Incubus
Post by Mark, Devon
[...]
crime where proponents of Intersectionality are concerned. (snip)
Africans played a direct role in the slave trade, selling their captives or prisoners of war to European buyers. The prisoners and captives who were sold were usually from neighbouring or enemy ethnic groups https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_slave_trade

In the early 18th century, Kings of Dahomey (known today as Benin) became big players in the slave trade, waging a bitter war on their neighbours, resulting in the capture of 10,000, including another important slave trader, the King of Whydah. King Tegbesu made £250,000 a year selling people into slavery in 1750. King Gezo said in the 1840's he would do anything the British wanted him to do apart from giving up slave trade - BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/africa/features/storyofafrica/9chapter2.shtml

An African country reckons with its history of selling slaves - Washington Post https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/africa/an-african-country-reckons-with-its-history-of-selling-slaves/2018/01/29/

African chiefs urged to apologise for slave trade - Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/nov/18/africans-apologise-slave-trade

Examples of media not completely ignoring the role that African leaders played in slavery.
Post by Incubus
They'll re-examine the legacy of the slave trade but they won't re-examine the benefit that Western Civilisation brought.
Re-examined it is, widely - just Google "benefits of western civilisation and culture on africa" and read on. It's a Western-centric view which is not universally held.

Patrick

Mike Smith
2019-10-30 21:44:54 UTC
...to see whether it needs to apologise for "colonial" past.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/30/bristol-university-hires-slavery-history-professor-see-whether/
Clown World.
Clown humans indeed, still not convinced they are ready for self government.
Will Storr's book The science of Storytelling covers this rather well, or rather it describes the problem, this has now been backed up by fmri scans of the brain per https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5180221/

Facts will always be outweighed by prejudice and that all too human need to justify our actions no matter how criminal (1) those may be.

(1) Criminal is that which harms others, it may or may not be against some law or other

Ho hum.

Cheers

Mike
Vidcapper
2019-10-31 07:37:23 UTC
...to see whether it needs to apologise for "colonial" past.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/30/bristol-university-hires-slavery-history-professor-see-whether/
Clown World.
What next - hiring an Italian to apologise for the Roman Empire. 8)
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Peter Percival
2019-10-31 17:22:41 UTC
...to see whether it needs to apologise for "colonial" past.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/30/bristol-university-hires-slavery-history-professor-see-whether/
Clown World.
So far as the Atlantic slave trade was concerned the slave traders where
Africans and Arabs just as much as they where whiteys. People seem to
think that white sailors landed on the African coast, dashed into the
jungle, kidnapped a few negroes, and dashed back to their ships. No:
they bought them off other negroes and off Arabs.
Incubus
2019-10-31 17:25:20 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Incubus
...to see whether it needs to apologise for "colonial" past.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/30/bristol-university-hires-slavery-history-professor-see-whether/
Clown World.
So far as the Atlantic slave trade was concerned the slave traders where
Africans and Arabs just as much as they where whiteys. People seem to
think that white sailors landed on the African coast, dashed into the
they bought them off other negroes and off Arabs.
Unfortunately, the narrative that is propagated doesn't include such
inconvenient facts.
p***@gmail.com
2019-10-31 23:48:35 UTC
...to see whether it needs to apologise for "colonial" past.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/30/bristol-university-hires-slavery-history-professor-see-whether/
Clown World.
From Bristol University
https://www.bristol.ac.uk/news/2019/october/professor-of-the-history-of-slavery-.html
Incubus
2019-11-01 09:53:43 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Post by Incubus
...to see whether it needs to apologise for "colonial" past.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/30/bristol-university-hires-slavery-history-professor-see-whether/
Clown World.
From Bristol University
https://www.bristol.ac.uk/news/2019/october/professor-of-the-history-of-slavery-.html