The millions of new voters, GE 2019
Spike
2020-01-12 10:58:46 UTC
Before the GE of 2019, we were often told, sometimes by people who
claimed a pretty good record in sensing which way the political wind was
blowing, that millions of new voters, being young, would naturally vote
Labour and that this, in replacing the Conservative wrinkles that had
died off, would lead to a Labour landslide, Labour being the largest
party, and a Labour government. So sure of their record of political
forecasting, some even laid bets on the latter.

In due course, millions of new voters did in fact register, but the
result was a Conservative landslide.

So, why did the millions of Labour-supporting young people not bring the
oft-forecast Labour-government outcome?
Spike
Pamela
2020-01-12 20:10:04 UTC
Post by Spike
Before the GE of 2019, we were often told, sometimes by people who
claimed a pretty good record in sensing which way the political wind was
blowing, that millions of new voters, being young, would naturally vote
Labour and that this, in replacing the Conservative wrinkles that had
died off, would lead to a Labour landslide, Labour being the largest
party, and a Labour government. So sure of their record of political
forecasting, some even laid bets on the latter.
In due course, millions of new voters did in fact register, but the
result was a Conservative landslide.
So, why did the millions of Labour-supporting young people not bring the
oft-forecast Labour-government outcome?
The "youthquake" failed to materialise. In the end, fewer votes were cast
in the 2019 election than 2017.
Vidcapper
2020-01-13 06:58:07 UTC
Post by Pamela
Post by Spike
Before the GE of 2019, we were often told, sometimes by people who
claimed a pretty good record in sensing which way the political wind was
blowing, that millions of new voters, being young, would naturally vote
Labour and that this, in replacing the Conservative wrinkles that had
died off, would lead to a Labour landslide, Labour being the largest
party, and a Labour government. So sure of their record of political
forecasting, some even laid bets on the latter.
In due course, millions of new voters did in fact register, but the
result was a Conservative landslide.
So, why did the millions of Labour-supporting young people not bring the
oft-forecast Labour-government outcome?
The "youthquake" failed to materialise. In the end, fewer votes were cast
in the 2019 election than 2017.
Or perhaps they were outweighed by Labour Leavers switching to the
Brexit Party?
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Pamela
2020-01-14 12:08:53 UTC
Post by Vidcapper
Post by Pamela
Post by Spike
[...]
Total votes for the Brexit party was less than a third of the votes lost
by Labour. Not all Brexit party votes would have come from Labour.

Boris won his landslide less by his own efforts and more by the rubbish
efforts of the opposition including the missing youthquake.

abelard
2020-01-12 20:25:25 UTC
Post by Spike
Before the GE of 2019, we were often told, sometimes by people who
claimed a pretty good record in sensing which way the political wind was
blowing, that millions of new voters, being young, would naturally vote
Labour and that this, in replacing the Conservative wrinkles that had
died off, would lead to a Labour landslide, Labour being the largest
party, and a Labour government. So sure of their record of political
forecasting, some even laid bets on the latter.
In due course, millions of new voters did in fact register, but the
result was a Conservative landslide.
So, why did the millions of Labour-supporting young people not bring the
oft-forecast Labour-government outcome?
because large number of voters do not vote by reason
but to sort a football club

thus is well said that parties do not win elections..parties
lose them

agent cob is ap particularly unattractive candidate even
compared to his rivals

the sum of this is that it is likely that large numbers (of foolish
labour voters...there is no other kind) merely abstained

if you care, do some calculations on that principle
2020-01-13 09:51:44 UTC
Post by Spike
Before the GE of 2019, we were often told, sometimes by people who
claimed a pretty good record in sensing which way the political wind was
blowing, that millions of new voters, being young, would naturally vote
Labour and that this, in replacing the Conservative wrinkles that had
died off, would lead to a Labour landslide, Labour being the largest
party, and a Labour government. So sure of their record of political
forecasting, some even laid bets on the latter.
In due course, millions of new voters did in fact register, but the
result was a Conservative landslide.
So, why did the millions of Labour-supporting young people not bring the
oft-forecast Labour-government outcome?
because large number of voters do not vote by reason
but to sort a football club
Well, my father voted for The Brexit Party, and his father before him. That's
just how we vote.
abelard
2020-01-13 10:03:02 UTC
On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 09:51:44 -0000 (UTC), Incubus
Post by Spike
[...]
indeed...and if you wear the wrong scarf you'll get beaten up
by your former drinking pals and ostracised by those you numbered
as your nearest and dearest

most people have no independent thought from birth to burial
Roger
Ahem....the last elections were completely characterised by coketowners voting Conservative against generations of tradition.
abelard
2020-01-13 10:27:11 UTC
Post by Spike
[...]
that's what happens when you send the young to 'university'

they get aspirations
2020-01-13 11:10:18 UTC
Post by Spike
[...]
Indeed they did and look what it took to break decades of inertia, tribalism
and tradition-based loyality.