Xenophobia Virus hits the UK
David Edmunds
2020-02-09 11:49:51 UTC
The Chinese are heroically battling a looming pandemic and our media and social media is full of derogatory comments that are reminiscent of the days when we used to refer to chinks, wops, dagos, jungle bunnies and other nasty terms for the furriners. Theirs is a truly remarkable success story in creating systems and infrastructure to deal with the crisis. My information is that the number of infected people in China is at a maximum and will likely start reducing. This would not have happened anywhere other than China. They deserve to be universally congratulated and not noisily condemned for the possible slight delay in the early days.

We have xenophobiavirus bad, but its not nearly as bad here as it is in the US where some of the pathogenicity seems to have originated, the Sinophobia there is pretty bad, but not as severe as the crazy bizarre russophobia that seems endemic in their country especially among those who claim to be the on the more progressive side. We have an elevated doomsday threat hanging over our heads due to large numbers of people who should know better buying into this silliness.

The furore over Huawei and the prosecution of a senior vice president shows how irrational and dangerous things are for us here; allowing Chinese companies to supply better and cheaper and more energy efficient core network equipment will impair the effectiveness of the Mass Surveillance programmes but will replace systems designed to snoop on us and which can easily be compromised by bad folks other than the original system creators (including the Russians and the Chinese). The most recent ransomeware attack, the one that damaged NHS systems was due to a similar "security modification" to the operating systems on our personal computers. Most of the techie people whom I trust agree with me on this matter.

David Martin Edmunds
Byker
2020-02-09 21:45:20 UTC
Post by David Edmunds
The Chinese are heroically battling a looming pandemic and our media and
social media is full of derogatory comments that are reminiscent of the
days when we used to refer to chinks, wops, dagos, jungle bunnies and
other nasty terms for the furriners. Theirs is a truly remarkable success
story in creating systems and infrastructure to deal with the crisis. My
information is that the number of infected people in China is at a maximum
and will likely start reducing. This would not have happened anywhere
other than China. They deserve to be universally congratulated and not
noisily condemned for the possible slight delay in the early days.
We have xenophobiavirus bad, but its not nearly as bad here
You mean the UK? It's actually worse on account of your "hate speech" laws,
which squelch any public discussion of the Untermenschen. What we Yanks can
say aloud, you can only whisper behind closed doors...
g***@walkerlincoln.co.uk
Only partially true. Try voicing the "wrong" politics at an American university and see how long you remain there.
Byker
2020-02-10 20:21:37 UTC
Post by g***@walkerlincoln.co.uk
Post by Byker
You mean the UK? It's actually worse on account of your "hate speech"
laws, which squelch any public discussion of the Untermenschen. What we
Yanks can say aloud, you can only whisper behind closed doors...
Only partially true. Try voicing the "wrong" politics at an American
university and see how long you remain there.
Thank God I got my college out of the way before Political Correctness set
in. Most American universities now have no business being in business:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelhorn/2018/12/13/will-half-of-all-colleges-really-close-in-the-next-decade/

Also:

David Edmunds
2020-02-10 16:53:20 UTC
Post by David Edmunds
[...]
Some truth in what you say. We certainly have seen a case of the police allowing serious crime to flourish because of fear of accusations of racism. An example of this being the Rotherham child sexual exploitation scandal involving gangs of Pakistani men. Much worse than just a freedom of speech issue.

David Martin Edmunds
g***@walkerlincoln.co.uk
Classic virtue signalling.
Dan S. MacAbre
Seems like it's better to die than to risk upsetting people nowadays. :-)
g***@walkerlincoln.co.uk
It's like the AIDS situation all over again.
Dan S. MacAbre
Now you mention it, yes.
David Edmunds
2020-02-10 16:35:08 UTC
Post by David Edmunds
The Chinese are heroically battling a looming pandemic and our media and social media is full of derogatory comments that are reminiscent of the days when we used to refer to chinks, wops, dagos, jungle bunnies and other nasty terms for the furriners. Theirs is a truly remarkable success story in creating systems and infrastructure to deal with the crisis. My information is that the number of infected people in China is at a maximum and will likely start reducing.
I was wrong to say that the Coronavirus epidemic had likely peaked, as I learned today that the number of infected people in China is still climbing. We can only hope that the disease does not mutate further in ways that increase its ability to infect.

David Martin Edmunds