Coronavirus, Leicester and the BBC's failure to join the dots
RH156RH
2020-06-29 14:31:17 UTC
Listening to the World at One (Radio 4 - 29 6 2020) I heard a distinctly surreal interview with a someone (I think it was a Leicester councillor) concerning Leicester's increase in coronavirus cases .

Because Leicester has a very large Asian population (with a greater susceptibility to the virus than the white UK population) drawn from the subcontinent and that three days before the Telegraph had carried a story that half of newly introduced coronavirus cases have been from Pakistan*, one might have reasonably expected expected the interview to have considered these as likely reasons for the spike in infections in Leicester. Not a mention of of either was heard.

Even odder was a passage in the interview when the interviewer mentioned that other areas also had similar infection levels toe Leicester. The areas mentioned were place such as Rochdale, Barnsley and Bradford which all have very large Asian populations from the subcontinent. Neither interviewer or interviewee drew the obvious conclusion that all of these places had a common denominator, namely, they all had large populations of Asians from the subcontinent and that the high level of coronavirus infections could plausibly be ascribed to travel between the UK and the subcontinent . RH
*Exclusive: Half of UK’s imported Covid-19 infections are from Pakistan
Keema's Nan
2020-06-29 15:00:30 UTC
[...]
And Birmingham, which had high numbers of Covid positives during the
lockdown. It would appear that Muslims cannot obey the rules of the country
they live in, if those rules contradict the religious traditions they live
by.

So large multi-generational families gather together as they always have
done, and pass the virus between them without even trying.
Pamela
2020-06-29 15:09:51 UTC
[...]
Indians are less likely to contract Covid than Pakistanis. Leicester has
a far higher proportion of Indians than Pakistanis, which rather goes
against the narrative.

See: https://www.ons.gov.uk/visualisations/dvc815/hazards/age/index.html
Keema's Nan
2020-06-29 15:24:45 UTC
[...]
It may go against your narrative, but India has a Covid death rate of 12 per
1m population, and Pakistan has a death rate of 19 per 1m

https://virusncov.com

When you compare that against the UK 642 deaths per 1m, it would appear that
something other than the proportion of Indians to Pakistanis in Leicester is
producing the figures.
Pamela
2020-06-29 16:07:03 UTC
[...]
Thinking of counter-narratives, I wonder where secret agent Roger has got
to with his tireless government propaganda.
Keema's Nan
2020-06-29 16:29:31 UTC
Post by Pamela
[...]
As I said on another thread, I think he has been sent to St Helena or
somesuch as a form of discipline for not being persuasive enough with the
official brainwashing.
Pamela
2020-06-29 19:47:47 UTC
On 29 Jun 2020, Pamela wrote (in article
Post by Pamela
On 29 Jun 2020, Pamela wrote (in article
Post by Pamela
On 29 Jun 2020, RH156RH wrote (in
[...]
His defensive explanations were as bizarre as the replies to journalists
at the Daily Briefing and probably came from the same government source.
Pamela
2020-06-29 15:01:49 UTC
Post by RH156RH
[...]
Barnsley? Musht be shome mishtake.
Post by RH156RH
Neither interviewer or interviewee drew the obvious conclusion that all
of these places had a common denominator, namely, they all had large
populations of Asians from the subcontinent and that the high level of
coronavirus infections could plausibly be ascribed to travel between the
UK and the subcontinent . RH *Exclusive: Half of UK's imported
Covid-19 infections are from Pakistan
See also: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8465255/Pakistan-origin-
half-Britains-imported-coronavirus-cases.html

After Bin Laden's assassination, religious leaders in Pakistan have
resisted vaccination so the uptake of a Covid vaccine there may be limited
leading to Pakistan being a continuing source of the virus after other
countries have got control.
RH156RH
I am damn sure it was one of those mentioned but on checking its Asian content it cannot be an example. Cancel that town and just use Rochdale and Bradford . RH
RH156RH
2020-07-01 17:41:55 UTC
Post by RH156RH
Neither interviewer or interviewee drew the obvious conclusion that all
of these places had a common denominator, namely, they all had large
populations of Asians from the subcontinent and that the high level of
coronavirus infections could plausibly be ascribed to travel between the
UK and the subcontinent . RH *Exclusive: Half of UK's imported
Covid-19 infections are from Pakistan
See also: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8465255/Pakistan-origin-
half-Britains-imported-coronavirus-cases.html
After Bin Laden's assassination, religious leaders in Pakistan have
resisted vaccination so the uptake of a Covid vaccine there may be limited
leading to Pakistan being a continuing source of the virus after other
countries have got control.
I was right. Barnsley was included in the list I heard on R4 World At One , viz

" According to Public Health England data, Bradford, Barnsley, Rochdale and Oldham are the four areas after Leicester with the highest number of cases.

It is thought some of the UK's most diverse towns and cities are particularly vulnerable to flare-ups due to higher numbers of households with multiple generations living under one roof.

Poverty, language barriers, higher levels of non-compliance with lockdown measures and potential outbreaks in food processing plants and factories are also believed to be contributing factors.

According to figures from the NHS and Public Health England, infections have also risen in Medway, in Kent; the London boroughs of Hammersmith and Fulham and Ealing, and Lanarkshire and Dumfries and Galloway, in Scotland.

Read more at
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/06/30/bradford-oldham-watch-list-amid-fears-local-lockdowns-could/

RH
Pamela
2020-07-01 18:23:22 UTC
Post by RH156RH
Post by RH156RH
[...]
Maybe the author doesn't know Barnsely because "diverse" is not the first
word that springs to my mind to describe a town that's 98% white!
m***@btopenworld.com
2020-06-30 20:31:07 UTC
According to the 2011 census, the population of Barnsley is 1.1% asian!
RH156RH
2020-07-01 07:10:30 UTC
I have already asked readers to ignore Barfnsley. RH
Keema's Nan
2020-07-01 09:23:32 UTC
Post by RH156RH
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by RH156RH
Even odder was a passage in the interview when the interviewer mentioned
that other areas also had similar infection levels toe Leicester. The
areas mentioned were place such as Rochdale, Barnsley and Bradford which
all have very large Asian populations from the subcontinent.
According to the 2011 census, the population of Barnsley is 1.1% asian!
I have already asked readers to ignore Barfnsley. RH
Apparently, a lot of local factories in the Leicester area are sweatshops
where workers are forced to attend even if ill, or they are sacked. Even
employees who tested positive for Covid-19 were told they still had to come
to work.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jun/30/some-leicester-factories-
stayed-open-and-forced-staff-to-come-in

Is it any wonder that the virus will not go away when certain bosses put
profit before responsibility?
RH156RH
2020-07-01 09:47:33 UTC
Post by RH156RH
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by RH156RH
[...]
The Midlands and London were and probably still are the two major sweat shop regions of the UK . I spent years as a Revenue investigator going after London Rag trade evaders. RH