Jeremy 'unt
Pancho
2021-07-05 19:04:51 UTC
"Improve test and trace to avoid lockdown four, Jeremy Hunt urges Javid"

Now any idiot can see the government have given up containing Covid
infections. They have limited hospitalisations and that was always the
end goal. Track & trace serves no significant role now. Only the phone
app is cost effective, and after we are over the coming peak even that
will be redundant.

So why would Jeremy Hunt say such a thing... I'm betting he has skin in
the game, some type of personal investment in track & trace and is
worried it might now be going down the drain.
abelard
2021-07-05 22:06:16 UTC
On Mon, 5 Jul 2021 20:04:51 +0100, Pancho
Post by Pancho
"Improve test and trace to avoid lockdown four, Jeremy Hunt urges Javid"
Now any idiot can see the government have given up containing Covid
infections. They have limited hospitalisations and that was always the
end goal. Track & trace serves no significant role now. Only the phone
app is cost effective, and after we are over the coming peak even that
will be redundant.
So why would Jeremy Hunt say such a thing... I'm betting he has skin in
the game, some type of personal investment in track & trace and is
worried it might now be going down the drain.
you have an excellent attitude

feel sorry for poor old stammerer reduced to inventing bogey men
Col
2021-07-06 07:55:16 UTC
Post by Pancho
"Improve test and trace to avoid lockdown four, Jeremy Hunt urges Javid"
Now any idiot can see the government have given up containing Covid
infections. They have limited hospitalisations and that was always the
end goal. Track & trace serves no significant role now. Only the phone
app is cost effective, and after we are over the coming peak even that
will be redundant.
So why would Jeremy Hunt say such a thing... I'm betting he has skin in
the game, some type of personal investment in track & trace and is
worried it might now be going down the drain.
you have an excellent attitude
feel sorry for poor old stammerer reduced to inventing bogey men
I suspect he's just getting his criticism in now so that he's on record
as having done so. If it all goes tits up and further restrictions are
re-imposed he can say 'I told you so' without being called 'Captain
Hindsight'.
Col
JNugent
2021-07-06 09:25:20 UTC
Post by Pancho
[...]
The terrible thing is that Capt Hindsight - like all the rest of the
Labour Party - is reduced to *hoping* that things do go wrong and that
lots of people (unimportant people, obviously - taxpayers, retired
voters - that sort of people) die.
Col
2021-07-06 12:09:12 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by Pancho
[...]
I don't think this is restricted to the Labour Party, more symptomatic
of opposition parties in general. Whatever the government does you
criticise it, oppose it, say how you would do things oh so very
differently if only you were in power. But that's fair enough as it's
one of the main jobs of the opposition to do just this.

I don't imagine the Tories would have behaved any differently had the
roles been reversed.
Col
Joe
2021-07-06 14:05:00 UTC
On Tue, 6 Jul 2021 13:09:12 +0100
Post by Col
I don't think this is restricted to the Labour Party, more
symptomatic of opposition parties in general. Whatever the government
does you criticise it,
OK
Post by Col
oppose it,
OK
Post by Col
say how you would do things oh so
very differently if only you were in power.
I think that bit's fallen by the wayside in recent decades. The
advantage of being in opposition now is that you *don't* have to offer
a better idea, and if you do choose to offer any kind of alternative,
you don't need to provide any evidence that it will work.
Col
2021-07-07 12:53:03 UTC
Post by Joe
On Tue, 6 Jul 2021 13:09:12 +0100
Post by Col
I don't think this is restricted to the Labour Party, more
symptomatic of opposition parties in general. Whatever the government
does you criticise it,
OK
Post by Col
oppose it,
OK
Post by Col
say how you would do things oh so
very differently if only you were in power.
I think that bit's fallen by the wayside in recent decades. The
advantage of being in opposition now is that you *don't* have to offer
a better idea, and if you do choose to offer any kind of alternative,
you don't need to provide any evidence that it will work.
Now I don't really agree with this.
Opposition parties have always been expected to provide alternative
plans to what the government are doing, hence the oft said retort that
'their numbers don't stack up' when the opposition provide their
spending plans.
Col
Joe
2021-07-07 19:29:46 UTC
On Wed, 7 Jul 2021 13:53:03 +0100
Post by Col
Post by Joe
On Tue, 6 Jul 2021 13:09:12 +0100
Post by Col
I don't think this is restricted to the Labour Party, more
symptomatic of opposition parties in general. Whatever the
government does you criticise it,
OK
Post by Col
oppose it,
OK
Post by Col
say how you would do things oh so
very differently if only you were in power.
I think that bit's fallen by the wayside in recent decades. The
advantage of being in opposition now is that you *don't* have to
offer a better idea, and if you do choose to offer any kind of
alternative, you don't need to provide any evidence that it will
work.
Now I don't really agree with this.
Opposition parties have always been expected to provide alternative
plans to what the government are doing, hence the oft said retort
that 'their numbers don't stack up' when the opposition provide their
spending plans.
The Budget, maybe. But that's what I meant by 'don't need to provide any
evidence that it will work.'

It's the same with revolutionary movements: the wokeists are working to
completely eliminate every aspect of Western civilisation and culture,
but they're not offering any credible alternative. We know that if they
succeed, they really won't like the result, indeed they may well be the
first up against the wall, but none of them seem to give the matter any
thought.

There seems to be widespread surprise in the US that the cities that
have deliberately reduced their police forces are seeing a large
increase in crime. What other possible goal could there have been
for the 'defund the police' movement?
Pancho
2021-07-06 11:44:13 UTC
Post by Pancho
"Improve test and trace to avoid lockdown four, Jeremy Hunt urges Javid"
Now any idiot can see the government have given up containing Covid
infections. They have limited hospitalisations and that was always the
end goal. Track & trace serves no significant role now. Only the phone
app is cost effective, and after we are over the coming peak even that
will be redundant.
So why would Jeremy Hunt say such a thing... I'm betting he has skin in
the game, some type of personal investment in track & trace and is
worried it might now be going down the drain.
you have an excellent attitude
feel sorry for poor old stammerer reduced to inventing bogey men
Maybe I was wrong. maybe Hunt is trying to pull the same trick as
Starmer. Say just enough to keep your name in the headlines, but avoid
making any statements that could be held against you in a future
election. Tread water until it all falls apart, at which point you can
make a leadership attempt without the baggage of historical mistakes.