Oh dear, it takes a Scottish court to sort the Brexit children out
Farmer Giles
2019-10-21 12:51:04 UTC
(More nonsense from Scotchland for your enjoyment).
https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/jolyon-maugham-benn-act-boris-johnson-letter-1-6332875
Court case over unsigned Brexit letter could put Boris Johnson in jail
Judges are set to decide whether Boris Johnson has put himself in
contempt of court over his unsigned letter to EU leaders, a charge which
if upheld includes the possibility of a jail term.
A new amendment, voted on on Saturday, forced the prime minister to
comply with the terms of the Benn Act by writing to the EU and
requesting an extension to Article 50 as his Withdrawal Agreement has
not had the full agreement of parliament.
Although Johnson sent a letter, he did not sign it and also sent a
second letter - which he signed - that said a delay would be a mistake.
MORE: The best reactions to Boris Johnson finally sending a letter
requesting a Brexit extension
A hearing at the Court of Session in Edinburgh by Scotland's most senior
judge Lord Carloway, and two other judges, was postponed until after
October 19, the deadline for the extension letter to be sent under the
terms of the Benn Act.
Now that the deadline has passed, the hearing is set to resume but the
prime minister's attempts to avoid requesting an extension raises
questions about whether the court views the unsigned letter - and second
contradictory letter - as obeying the law.
The petitioners behind the legal challenge at the Court of Session, led
by Good Law Project founder Jolyon Maugham QC, confirmed that the
resumed hearing would go ahead.
Addressing the legal action, Maugham explained: "The court's role is to
uphold the law - not to act as parent to a stroppy child.
"The question whether the prime minister is in contempt of court - as
many commentators have argued - is really one for it.
"But we will supply the court with a transcript from the Inner House
hearing.
"The hearing tomorrow will go ahead."
He added: "But the PM has made the request for an extension he promised
he wouldn't make, the EU is considering that request, and the question
whether the PM and Advocate General for Scotland are in contempt of
court is one for the Inner House."
During the case's first hearing on October 9, the government's lawyers
assured the court that Johnson would adhere to the law in writing and
before the judges - despite the prime minister's repeated public
declarations that he would never request an extension.
If the three judges find Johnson has failed to uphold the law, they
could find him in contempt, with potential punishments including a fine
or even a jail sentence.
EU Commission president Donald Tusk confirmed at 10pm on Saturday that
he had received the prime minister's request, tweeting: "The extension
request has just arrived. I will now start consulting EU leaders on how
to react."
In his signed letter, Johnson wrote: "A further extension would damage
the interests of the UK and our EU partners, and the relationship
between us."
The letter, to Tusk and copied to European Council president Jean-Claude
Juncker, references his regret at being defeated over the Letwin
amendment in the House of Commons.
MORE: Boris Johnson says he will not negotiate Article 50 extension
despite Letwin amendment
It states: "Regrettably, parliament missed the opportunity to inject
momentum into the ratification process for the new Withdrawal Agreement."
MPs voted by 322 to 306 in favour of amending the Brexit deal in order
to withhold the Commons' approval until the necessary UK legislation to
leave the EU has been passed. The government's response was to cancel
Saturday's vote on the deal, with it expected to be brought back before
MPs during the week.
Joanna Cherry QC, an SNP MP who has been involved in bringing
proceedings to court, described Johnson's actions as a "childish trick
of not signing the letter and sending a contradictory covering letter".
She added: "Our legal team are instructed to remind the court that as
well as promising to comply with the letter of the Benn Act, the PM also
promised not to seek to frustrate the purpose of the legislation.
"It will be for the court to decide whether his actions in failing to
sign the letter of request and sending a letter setting out his contrary
intentions are in breach of the undertakings he gave them or a contempt
of court."
Keema's Nan
2019-10-21 14:12:53 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
(More nonsense from Scotchland for your enjoyment).
Yes, but think of how much money they are all earning by continually spouting
nonsense.

Another large financial saving for England when the Scotch have all buggered
off into EU obscurity, and we have a hard border to prevent the Gretna and
Coldstream migrant ghetto tent villages from pouring illegal economic
migrants aka parasites into England.
of court."
Incubus
2019-10-21 14:36:55 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
(More nonsense from Scotchland for your enjoyment).
Yes, but think of how much money they are all earning by continually spouting
nonsense.
Yes, via the Barnett Formula.
Post by Keema's Nan
Another large financial saving for England when the Scotch have all buggered
off into EU obscurity, and we have a hard border to prevent the Gretna and
Coldstream migrant ghetto tent villages from pouring illegal economic
migrants aka parasites into England.
A number of them will still insist on begging on the streets of London,
however. Old habits die hard.
Keema's Nan
2019-10-21 15:13:54 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Another large financial saving for England when the Scotch have all buggered
off into EU obscurity, and we have a hard border to prevent the Gretna and
Coldstream migrant ghetto tent villages from pouring illegal economic
migrants aka parasites into England.
A number of them will still insist on begging on the streets of London,
however. Old habits die hard.
The BBC will probably insist on employing hundreds of thousands of them - as
they do now. And they will all be useless - as they are now, but will still
be paid 6-figure sums.
Paul Elam
Just goes to show what a thicko you are. :-)
Keema's Nan
2019-10-21 15:54:23 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Another large financial saving for England when the Scotch have all buggered
off into EU obscurity, and we have a hard border to prevent the Gretna and
Coldstream migrant ghetto tent villages from pouring illegal economic
migrants aka parasites into England.
A number of them will still insist on begging on the streets of London,
however. Old habits die hard.
The BBC will probably insist on employing hundreds of thousands of them - as
they do now. And they will all be useless - as they are now, but will still
be paid 6-figure sums.
Just goes to show what a thicko you are. :-)
You reckon?

We will see who is proved right, once Scotchland has rejoined the EU and has
to abide by its rules rather than those created by the English.
Ophelia
2019-10-21 19:41:12 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Another large financial saving for England when the Scotch have all buggered
off into EU obscurity, and we have a hard border to prevent the Gretna and
Coldstream migrant ghetto tent villages from pouring illegal economic
migrants aka parasites into England.
A number of them will still insist on begging on the streets of London,
however. Old habits die hard.
The BBC will probably insist on employing hundreds of thousands of them - as
they do now. And they will all be useless - as they are now, but will still
be paid 6-figure sums.
Just goes to show what a thicko you are. :-)
You reckon?

We will see who is proved right, once Scotchland has rejoined the EU and has
to abide by its rules rather than those created by the English.

===

Biggest part of me says yes, but since I live here ... :(((

I bloody hope not!
Keema's Nan

It is a bit more complex if your spouse is a Scotsman.
Ophelia
2019-10-21 20:20:54 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
[...]

----

Probably, but we are both from Yorkshire. D. was in the forces for 22
years and was all over the place. I came up with work. So we are both
settled here now. Do I regret it? Only sometimes. We are in a lovely wee
village in the NE of Scotland of 14 houses. Oddly enough, there are no
Scots here LOL. I must confess though, we keep a caravan on a farm in the
north of Yorkshire which we visit regularly and it keep us sane <g>
Farmer Giles
I always thought that your husband was Scottish, Phee, is that not true?
Ophelia

He is a Yorkshire lad:))
Farmer Giles
Good for him - and you!
Ophelia

Too right:))) And we are very proud to be so:))))
Farmer Giles
2019-10-22 21:11:34 UTC
(Another episode of Jockanory)
On Monday, October 21, 2019 at 3:30:53 PM UTC+1, My Name is
[...]
Time to revoke devolution an d to bring the Scotch children
under English law... RH
Brexit no more
Little England no more
UK no more
Oil no more
Tories no more
EBC no more
Royals no more
Trident no more
Whisky no more
Gas no more
Electricity no more
28 billion a year no more
Lords no more
Rabbie no more
What's NOT to like
Whining Scotch no more (not within English  earshot  in
England   anyway)... RH
How is your pathetic English brexshit
going?.....HahahaHahahaHahahaHa
Translation: Scotchland will soon find itself outside the EU... RH
Englands hands in Scotlands pocket for 312 years.
"Doctor... " RH
https://macalbasite.wordpress.com/2019/10/21/scotland-the-hidden-bank-of-the-uk-union/
..." OK , nurse, just keep him quiet while the bout of hyperfantasy
runs its course..." RH
Little Englanders are now the laughing stock worldwide