BYE!! 'I'm leaving, and I'm just not coming back': Fed up with racism, niggers head overseas
Dave Cross
2020-07-02 09:57:36 UTC
Don't let the door hit you in the ass.

Anthony Baggette knew the precise moment he had to get out: He
was driving by a convenience store in Cincinnati when a police
officer pulled him over. There had been a robbery. He fit the
description given by the store's clerk: a Black man.

Okunini O?baŽdeŽleŽ Kambon knew: He was arrested in Chicago and
accused by police of concealing a loaded gun under a seat in his
car. He did have a gun, but it was not loaded. He used it in his
role teaching at an outdoor skills camp for inner-city kids.
Kambon had a license. The gun was kept safely in the car's trunk.

Tiffanie Drayton knew: Her family kept getting priced out of
gentrifying neighborhoods in New Jersey. She said they were
destined to be forever displaced in the USA. Then Trayvon Martin
was shot and killed after buying a bag of Skittles and a can of
iced tea.

Tamir Rice would've been 18:Black teens make their mark in Tamir
Rice’s America

Baggette lives in Germany, Drayton in Trinidad and Tobago,
Kambon in Ghana.

All three are part of a small cultural cohort: Black emigres who
said they felt cornered and powerless in the face of persistent
racism, police brutality and economic struggles in the USA and
chose to settle and pursue their American-born dreams abroad.

No official statistics cover these international transplants.

In Ghana, where Kambon is involved in a program that encourages
descendants of the African diaspora to return to a nation where
centuries earlier their ancestors were forced onto slave ships,
he said he is one of "several thousand." Kambon rejects
descriptors such as "Black American" or "African American" that
identify him with the USA.

Tiffanie Drayton works on Pigeon Point beach, Trinidad and
Tobago, in January.
In Trinidad and Tobago, where Drayton works in her home office,
which has a view of the ocean and hummingbirds frolicking above
the pool, there are at least four: Drayton, her mother, sister
and her sister's boyfriend. There are probably more.

About 120,000 Americans live in Germany, home to about 1 million
people of African descent. For historical reasons, Germany's
census does not use race as a category, so it is not possible to
calculate how many hail from the USA.

"There's a lot of institutional racism in Germany," said
Baggette, 68, who has lived in Berlin for more than 30 years and
said he still feels conflicted about his move.

He described the fall of the Berlin Wall, in 1989, as a time
when neo-Nazis and skinheads would "throw Black people off of
the S-Bahn," the city's subway system.

Get the Coronavirus Watch newsletter in your inbox.
Stay safe and informed with updates on the spread of the
coronavirus

Delivery: Varies
Your Email
"But I still felt, and feel, better off here – safer," he said.

'I don't have to think of myself as a Black woman'
In interviews with more than a dozen expatriate Black Americans
spread out across the globe from the Caribbean to West Africa,
it became clear that for some, the death of George Floyd in
Minneapolis provided fresh evidence that living outside the USA
can be an exercise in self-preservation.

A study in 2019 by the National Academy of Sciences found Black
men were about 2.5 times more likely than white men to be killed
by police. An analysis this year by Nature Human Behavior of 100
million traffic stops conducted across the country determined
that Black people were far more likely to be pulled over by
police than whites, but that difference narrowed significantly
at night, when it is harder to see dark skin. Black Americans
face a far higher risk of being arrested for petty crimes. They
account for a third of the prison population but just 13% of the
overall population, according to Pew Research, a nonpartisan
"fact tank."

12 charts, 1 big problem:How racial disparities persist across
wealth, health, education and beyond

Drayton, 28, is writing a book about fleeing from racism in
America. She said one of the starkest illustrations of how her
life has changed since moving to Trinidad and Tobago in 2013 is
how she feels comfortable driving her kids around the block to
get them to sleep each night without being worried about what
happens if she is pulled over by police.

"In America, your hands are shaking. You're worried about what
to say. You're worried about whether you have the right ID.
You're just so worried all the time," she said of the
interactions her friends experience regularly with American
police officers.

For other Black Americans who chose what amounts to a form of
foreign exile, Floyd's death and the ensuing protests confirmed
that leaving may not mean a life free from racism and police
brutality, but it at least feels somewhat more within reach.

"It wasn't until I had left the USA to experience Spain that I
really got a sense of what freedom looks like. I was able to be
100% myself without having to worry about safety and without
needing to have too much of a complex identity," said Brooklyn,
New York, native Sienna Brown, 28, who lives near Valencia on
the Mediterranean Sea. Brown founded a company that helps Black
American women emigrate to Spain.

She said Spain isn't racism-free and isn't that diverse, but she
has experienced it as a welcoming place where people are willing
to be educated about their prejudices.

Lakeshia Ford moved to Ghana full-time after visiting in 2008 as
part of a study-abroad year in college.

"Here I don't have to think of myself as a Black woman and
everything that comes with that," said Ford, 32, who grew up in
New Jersey and runs her own communication firm in Accra, Ghana's
capital. "Here I am just a woman."

She said that although racism in the USA contributed to the
decision, her move to Ghana was not a direct reaction to
prejudice. She was equally intrigued by Ghanaian culture and
what she saw as a growing economic success story rarely
portrayed in the West, where Africa for many is synonymous with
disease, poverty and conflict.

"When I got here, I remember thinking: There's wealthy Black
people here. No one tells you that. I was really pissed off
about it. I was also really intrigued," she said.

Ford said that since Floyd's death in May, she has received
several emails a day from Black Americans asking how they, too,
can make a new life outside the USA.

"Come home, build a life in Ghana. You do not have to stay where
you are not wanted forever. You have a choice, and Africa is
waiting for you," Barbara Oteng Gyasi, Ghana's tourism minister,
said during a ceremony last month marking Floyd's death.

'In Russia, I felt for the first time like a full human being'
Black Americans, like expatriates of all races and ethnicities,
leave the USA temporarily or permanently for different reasons:
in search of a better quality of life, for work opportunities,
to marry or retire abroad, for tax reasons, for adventure.

This year, Essence, a Black fashion, entertainment and lifestyle
magazine, published a list of Black travel influencers who "trek
to faraway and sexy places," from "the pyramids of Giza" to "the
souks of Dubai" while "we sit at our desks watching."

Kimberly Springer, a New York-based writer and researcher who
spent almost a decade in the United Kingdom, where she taught
American studies at King's College London, said that although
"Black people have always traveled," and "we've gone places
willingly or unwillingly," often this travel is connected in
some way to a search for an experience that is not tainted by
the myriad ways Black Americans encounter discrimination in the
USA.

"In America, I feel hyper-visible in ways I didn't when I lived
in the U.K.," said Springer, 50, noting that although racial
inequalities in the U.K., like in the USA, are deep and
pervasive, they are connected to a history and tradition – in
the U.K.'s case, its former empire – that she doesn't share. As
a foreigner, despite being a Black American foreigner, Springer
said, she was afforded a certain amount of insulation from
British racism, even though studies show the British justice
system disproportionately penalizes Black people.

Fact check:Ghana is not offering money, land to lure Black
Americans

"Our racism isn't as lethal as yours," said Gary Younge, a
professor of sociology at Manchester University in England.
Younge, 51, who is Black, spent more than a decade asThe
Guardian newspaper's U.S. correspondent.

"In Britain, I don't generally walk around thinking I might get
killed, whereas in America, in some places, that's not always
the case," he said.

Younge attributed this disparity to the availability in the USA
of guns.

Asked whether Black people should confront racism at home,
rather than leave, he said, "Why shouldn't they just live? If a
white person leaves America and goes somewhere for work or
better opportunities, no one would say to them they need to stay
and fight for racial equality. Black people have a double burden
of being discriminated against and having to stick around."

Black Americans have been trying to escape American racism –
from segregation to heinous organized violence, such as
lynchings – for generations.

There are examples among America's Black intellectuals, artists
and prominent civil rights activists.

Writers James Baldwin and Richard Wright and entertainer
Josephine Baker relocated to Paris. Wright and Baker died in
France's capital. Poet Langston Hughes was part of an expatriate
community in London. Jazz and blues singer Nina Simone decided
to see out her days in France, and after she stopped performing,
she never returned to what she called the "United Snakes of
America." Simone also lived in Liberia, Barbados, Belgium, the
U.K., the Netherlands and Switzerland. When she died in 2003,
her ashes, at her request, were scattered across several African
countries.

"I left this country for one reason only. One reason. I didn’t
care where I’d go. I might’ve gone to Hong Kong, I might’ve gone
to Timbuktu, I ended up in Paris with $40 in my pocket with the
theory that nothing worse would happen to me there than had
already happened to me here," Baldwin said in 1968 on "The Dick
Cavett Show."

A decade prior, actor and singer Paul Robeson, famed for his
deep baritone voice, said before the House Committee on Un-
American Activities, "In Russia, I felt for the first time like
a full human being. No color prejudice like in Mississippi, no
color prejudice like in Washington. It was the first time I felt
like a human being."

More recently, Yasiin Bey, an American rapper-actor better known
by his stage name Mos Def, moved to South Africa because he was
fed up with inequality and racism.

"For a guy like me, with five or six generations from the same
town in America, to leave America, things gotta be not so good
with America," Bey said in 2013 as he prepared to leave the USA
for Cape Town. He was thrown out of South Africa in 2016 for
violating its immigration laws. He was detained after trying to
leave the country on a "World Passport," which has no legal
status. According to his lawyer, Bey did not want to use his
American passport for political reasons.

That same year, as the U.K. voted to leave the European Union
and President Donald Trump was elected, there was an uptick in
people searching the internet for the term "Blaxit," according
to Springer. If the U.K. could withdraw from the EU – "Brexit" –
could Black people, disheartened by racial violence, leave the
USA?

"I try not to use the phrase 'I can't breathe' too lightly,"
Springer said, referring to the words that became a rallying cry
for police brutality protesters and were the last words of Floyd
and Eric Garner, a Black man killed in police custody in 2014.

"But I think there is a way in which this country is, in its
history and its failure to recognize it and reckon with it
honestly, is suffocating," she said. "I really don't blame
anyone thinks I can't take this country anymore, I'm leaving,
and I'm just not coming back."

'It's like having a few more stepping stones to achieve that'
Kambon, 41, an academic in Ghana, said he is never going back to
the USA.

He is in the process of renouncing his American citizenship.

He said that after the police in Chicago falsely accused him of
concealing a loaded gun in his car, the charges were thrown out
by a judge because there was no probable cause for his arrest,
and the evidence – obtained illegally – would be not be
admissible in court.

"I told myself on the witness stand: I will never allow myself
to again be in the jurisdiction of these white people who, on a
whim, can decide you're not going to see your family for the
next 10 years, who can decide to throw a felony charge on you on
a whim," he said.

Drayton, in Trinidad and Tobago, said she tells her friends to
leave if they can. Many desperately want to, she said, but
either don't have the financial means or face other obstacles.

"I've been wanting to leave for a long time," said Drayton's
friend Karla Garcia, 29, who was born in Ecuador. She lives in
Orlando, Florida. "But it's difficult as a young divorced mother
of a child with special needs to just get up and leave."

Brown, in Spain, said she is determined to make a life in
southern Europe, not least because she wants to own a house and
build and pass on wealth. She has a 16-year-old sister in the
USA, and she said accumulating "generational wealth" is
something that has proved elusive for Black Americans, unlike
for many whites.

Her experience is that it will be easier to do this in Spain
than in New York, where there are more barriers to financial
success, from discrimination in mortgage lending – "red lining"
– to access to social welfare services, such as affordable day
care.

"It's like having a few more stepping stones to achieve that,"
she said.

Pew Research estimated that the overall average wealth of white
American families is at least 10 times larger than that of Black
American families.

In an opinion piece for Al-Jazeera, a Doha, Qatar-based news
network, Amali Tower, executive director of Climate Refugees, a
migration advocacy organization, wrote that if Black Americans
sought asylum abroad they would probably qualify.

"The social and political unrest that has rocked the country
just these past few weeks alone would add to a trove of evidence
to support any claims of 'well-founded fear' for this person's
safety and well-being at home," Tower argued in the piece.

A Washington Post-Ipsos poll of Black Americans conducted in mid-
June found that although they are outraged and frustrated by
Floyd's death, they are optimistic about rising concern from
whites and the prospect of improved police treatment.

In Berlin, Baggette has learned to live with his mixed feelings
about his adopted homeland. He values the free education and
health care his kids receive in Germany. He does not routinely
fear for their lives.

Baggette is retired but coaches youth basketball.

When a team from Chicago's South Side visited a few years ago as
part of an exchange program, he was shocked to hear from some of
the youngsters that one of the things that most impressed them
about Germany's capital was the easy access to fresh fruit,
especially strawberries. It was available on most streets in
small kiosks.

These kids weren't used to that on the South Side, he thought.

Baggette said he feels a little cut off from the American
movement that sprung up in the aftermath of Black American
deaths at the hands of police: Floyd, Garner, Breonna Taylor,
Michael Brown, Tamir Rice, Terence Crutcher, Freddie Gray,
Rayshard Brooks and many more.

‘You don’t get over nothing like this’: Mother of Tamir Rice
says moving on has been painful

Most weeks, Baggette sends out lengthy emails to parents,
players and coaches, pointing out racist language used by
referees. He is heavily involved in various initiatives that
raise awareness of racism and xenophobia. He acts as a mentor
for disadvantaged kids. He avoids certain working-class areas of
Berlin where there is strong support for right-wing, anti-
immigration political policies.

"Being Black in Berlin is a challenge," he said. "One thing I
can say is that when those young kids from Chicago visited us
here, well, they felt a certain amount of freedom that I can
tell you they don't feel over there."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2020/06/26/blaxit-
black-americans-leave-us-escape-racism-build-lives-
abroad/3234129001/
abelard
2020-07-02 11:04:27 UTC
On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 11:57:36 +0200 (CEST), Dave Cross
<***@kremlin.ru> wrote:

what is your chance of getting killed/murdered in the usa

if you are 'black'
by a policeman if you are 'black'?
by another 'black' if you are 'black'?
what is your average stndard of living in the usa...if you
are 'black'?
what is your average stndard of living in the africa...if you
are 'black'?
what is your average stndard of living in the germany...if you
are 'black'?
Steve ignores most fools and losers

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/
Keema's Nan
Exactly. The police should not be going around killing people at all.
Steve ignores most fools and losers
hamilton
2020-07-03 08:26:38 UTC
Post by Dave Cross
A study in 2019 by the National Academy of Sciences found Black
men were about 2.5 times more likely than white men to be killed
by police.
That's wrong...
Exactly. The police should not be going around killing people at all.
People shouldn't put themselves in situations where police have no choice
but to kill them.
Keema's Nan
2020-07-03 08:48:30 UTC
Post by Dave Cross
A study in 2019 by the National Academy of Sciences found Black
men were about 2.5 times more likely than white men to be killed
by police.
That's wrong...
Exactly. The police should not be going around killing people at all.
People shouldn't put themselves in situations where police have no choice
but to kill them.
So, the police are choosing to kill them; rather than keep them alive?

That makes it even worse.
JNugent
2020-07-03 15:49:44 UTC
Post by Dave Cross
A study in 2019 by the National Academy of Sciences found Black
men were about 2.5 times more likely than white men to be killed
by police.
That's wrong...
Exactly. The police should not be going around killing people at all.
People shouldn't put themselves in situations where police have no choice
but to kill them.
So, the police are choosing to kill them; rather than keep them alive?
He *said* "...where police have *no* choice but...".
Post by Keema's Nan
That makes it even worse.
Only if you interpret what hae said as the opposite of what he said.
Gronk

Byker
2020-07-02 18:11:42 UTC
Post by Dave Cross
Don't let the door hit you in the ass.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2020/06/26/blaxit-black-americans-leave-us-escape-racism-build-lives-abroad/3234129001/
Airfare to Africoonia seems pricey until you figure what to what it costs to
house, clothe, and feed Homo Africanus in the U.S, particularly in the
Concrete Congo:

https://tinyurl.com/y8eg3u2n

https://tinyurl.com/y8h2uzz3

https://tinyurl.com/ycq759mf

Since it costs $35-40,000 a year to a support a Welfare ratchet or homie
behind bars, a $1,700 one-way airline ticket at taxpayers' expense would pay
for itself in about two weeks. If Dashawn and LaQueesha are smart, they'll
go "voluntarily," before blacks are rounded up en masse, stuffed into
shipping containers, and flown as air freight to whatever Africoonian
shithole that is willing to take them in...
Byker
2020-07-02 18:12:38 UTC
Post by Dave Cross
Don't let the door hit you in the ass.
Airfare to Africoonia seems pricey until you figure what to what it costs to
house, clothe, and feed Homo Africanus in the U.S, particularly in the
Concrete Congo:

https://tinyurl.com/y8eg3u2n

https://tinyurl.com/y8h2uzz3

https://tinyurl.com/ycq759mf

Since it costs $35-40,000 a year to a support a Welfare ratchet or homie
behind bars, a $1,700 one-way airline ticket at taxpayers' expense would pay
for itself in about two weeks. If Dashawn and LaQueesha are smart, they'll
go "voluntarily," before blacks are rounded up en masse, stuffed into
shipping containers, and flown as air freight to whatever Africoonian
shithole that is willing to take them in.

Oh, and don't forget to cancel their American passports once they've arrived
in da mutha country, so they won't be coming back, EVER...