Welcome back, old friend -please stay.
Farmer Giles
2020-05-21 19:57:03 UTC
Stopped dead in my tracks tonight walking in the garden around 8.00pm -
a cuckoo! Haven't heard one for over twenty years in these parts.

"O blithe New-comer! I have heard,
I hear thee and rejoice.
O Cuckoo! shall I call thee Bird,
Or but a wandering Voice?"
Keema's Nan
2020-05-21 20:32:39 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Stopped dead in my tracks tonight walking in the garden around 8.00pm -
a cuckoo! Haven't heard one for over twenty years in these parts.
"O blithe New-comer! I have heard,
I hear thee and rejoice.
O Cuckoo! shall I call thee Bird,
Or but a wandering Voice?"
I haven’t heard one here for at least 20 years.

It is amazing how things have deteriorated. When we first came here, house
martins nested in the eaves, I would hear regular tawny owls at night, lesser
spotted woodpeckers appeared on the peanut feeder.

I have witnessed none of those events for at least 15 years. In 2010 I would
record greenfinches on 30 weeks out of 52, but I have seen one this week for
the first time in 13 months.

We used to have a dawn chorus of song thrushes and garden warblers, plus
great tits, robins and blackbirds. Now if we are lucky we get a couple of
house sparrows and wood pigeon.

We used to get siskins on the feeders in the winter, but I haven’t seen one
for at least 15 years.

It is all very sad, and yet many people appear not to have noticed. I doubt
they will notice until there is nothing. Rachel Carson will be nodding sagely
in the universe somewhere.
Farmer Giles
2020-05-21 20:54:54 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
I wonder if the return of the cuckoo has anything to with the lockdown?
Sadly, I haven't seen any swifts or swallows this year, and very few
last year.

I wonder if Rowing, Nugent and that other idiot Babbelard include birds
and such things in their balance-sheets? Knowing the price of everything
and the value of nothing comes to mind.
Keema's Nan
2020-05-22 07:38:20 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
If you wrote a letter to the Telegraph bemoaning the fact you have not seen
any migrant birds this year, within 48 hours a couple of letters would appear
from the likes of Rear Admiral Humpington and Major Sir Peregrine
Ffortescue-Smytthe telling everyone not to worry because their gardens are
over-run with migrant birds; and the subject would be closed for another 12
months.

This has been going on for well over 35 years, and is the reason why we have
sleepwalked into the situation where most birds and insect species have
declined by 85% in the last 60 years.

Of course, in an attempt to portray me as a compulsive liar, the Nugent,
Rowing, Lardy, Roger (foreign office shill) axis of evil will demand a link
in their efforts to deny anything of the sort has happened in their lifetime
- so here it is,
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-29728558
Farmer Giles
2020-05-22 07:53:51 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
The decline can't really be denied - even by them. What they would
probably do, however, is justify it as an inevitable part of ensuring
that 'the economy' looks after them and their greedy ways.
Keema's Nan
2020-05-22 08:36:00 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
They simply can’t cope with the idea that someone they view as an ignorant
pleb leftie can know far more than themselves on certain subjects; or that
they bear any responsibility (in their greedy and selfish *me first* attitude
to life) for the decline of any species.

As long as the product is cheap to buy, they couldn’t give a toss if it has
resulted in the mass destruction of pristine rainforest, or other species
rich areas.

They are probably totally disinterested in the fact that around 100 million
sharks die from various human activities each year, as long as they can buy
cheap supermarket food.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/onward/2013/03/01/100-million-
sharks-killed-every-year-study-shows-on-eve-of-international-conference-on-
shark-protection/

To them, sharks are simply a nuisance which ruin their cheap package holidays
to warm sea destinations.
John
2020-05-22 11:36:04 UTC
On 22 May 2020, Farmer Giles wrote (in
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
I used to get red squirrels and jays in the garden, but seen neither for
years.
m***@btopenworld.com
2020-05-23 13:12:12 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
I wonder if the return of the cuckoo has anything to with the lockdown?
Sadly, I haven't seen any swifts or swallows this year, and very few
last year.
I wonder if Rowing, Nugent and that other idiot Babbelard include birds
and such things in their balance-sheets? Knowing the price of everything
and the value of nothing comes to mind.
Well it should because Rowing in particular has spent a large portion of his vacation time chasing wildlife around the world Antatartica, Africa the Arctic, the Galapagos Islands, South America, Central America, Nepal, Bengal, Borneo,
Malaysia, Alaska, The Inside Passage. New Zealand

I haven't seen them all and now I doubt I ever shall. For instance I have been to the Arctic twice but never seen a walrus. Never seen a wild tiger. An Emperor penguin (didn't go far enough south for that) A Blue Whale, A Kiwi (not suprisingly)

I used to live in a forest. There our real passion was badgers. We used to put out food (peanuts, dog meat though they will eat just about anything) We have had as many as 6 on our back lawn (just when we had dinner guests!). We didn't mind the odd fox that might join the party. Hedgehogs would do their ritual dance on the patio. right outside our window.

We had a bird table of course well visited by blue tits, great tits and the occasional marsh/coal tit (never could distinguish between the two!) and a pair of nuthatches. A sparrow hawk used to visit once or twice during the day to keep down numbers! He collided with the window once and knocked himself out. I laid him on the bird table to recover. Ten minutes later he was up and on his way none the worse for his ordeal. He was back the next day.

Somebody mentioned siskins. They visited us in numbers until one particular year when they all but disappeared. (6-7 years ago?) Around the same time the same happened to green finches. I mentioned it to the wild life officer (who lived for his job) He told me they had been infected with a disease. The population never recovered while we were there. Chaffinches continued To visit in numbers together with the odd bullfinch and bramling in winter. Other winter visitors included the redwing and fieldfare.

Low Dalby where I lived provided me with my one and only ever meeting with a crossbill. It was another casualty of the windows only this time with fatal results. It's little head was hanging off and it was of course dead. I took it round the village to show folk who might be interested Not many had ever seen one before.

Now the cuckoo. I started this originally to report on my last sighting of a cuckoo. It was at Minsmere Suffolk. My son lives about half an hour away and when I go to see them we usually do a disappearing trick to have a day at Minsmere to see what's around. The attraction for me are the avocets and the Marsh Harrier. It was there that I had my last encounter with a cuckoo. It was there calling out on a bush around 110 yds away. We had a perfect view and my son got a clear shot with his camera.

It was uncanny really whenever we stopped to look at something else, the little bugger was there about the same distance away. It was as though we were being followed. A memorable day.
Farmer Giles
With all that gadding about, you are part of the problem - not the solution.
Keema's Nan
2020-05-23 13:43:49 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
I wonder if the return of the cuckoo has anything to with the lockdown?
Sadly, I haven't seen any swifts or swallows this year, and very few
last year.
I wonder if Rowing, Nugent and that other idiot Babbelard include birds
and such things in their balance-sheets? Knowing the price of everything
and the value of nothing comes to mind.
Well it should because Rowing in particular has spent a large portion of his
vacation time chasing wildlife around the world Antatartica, Africa the
Arctic, the Galapagos Islands, South America, Central America, Nepal, Bengal,
Borneo,
Malaysia, Alaska, The Inside Passage. New Zealand
Which is nothing to be proud of.

How do you intend offset all those CO2 emissions?

Or are you just going to leave the mess for your grandkids to clean up?

You don’t ‘chase’ wildlife. They have enough enemies doing that where
they live, without you joining in.

<self indulgent tripe snipped>
JNugent

You left all that in! There it is, quoted.
Keema's Nan

Jeez, you are thick.
JNugent
2020-05-24 22:55:36 UTC
Post by JNugent
[ ... ]
Post by Keema's Nan
Which is nothing to be proud of.
How do you intend offset all those CO2 emissions?
Or are you just going to leave the mess for your grandkids to clean up?
You don’t ‘chase’ wildlife. They have enough enemies doing that where
they live, without you joining in.
<self indulgent tripe snipped>
Eh?
You left all that in! There it is, quoted.
Eh?
Jeez, you are thick.
Er... no.

That's you, that is.

Have a think about it (if you can).
m***@btopenworld.com
2020-05-25 06:35:22 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
I wonder if the return of the cuckoo has anything to with the lockdown?
Sadly, I haven't seen any swifts or swallows this year, and very few
last year.
I wonder if Rowing, Nugent and that other idiot Babbelard include birds
and such things in their balance-sheets? Knowing the price of everything
and the value of nothing comes to mind.
Well it should because Rowing in particular has spent a large portion of his
vacation time chasing wildlife around the world Antatartica, Africa the
Arctic, the Galapagos Islands, South America, Central America, Nepal, Bengal,
Borneo,
Malaysia, Alaska, The Inside Passage. New Zealand
Which is nothing to be proud of.
How do you intend offset all those CO2 emissions?
The atmosphere takes care of those. CO2 dissolve in water to form carbonates and hydrogen carbonatee The water falls as a rain which accumulates in the oceans. There, all kinds of organisms use it to construct exoskeletons which secollect in ocean sediments.. \\\the white cliffs of Dover stand testimony to this process.

Of course the process takes time during this time the CO2 resides as a gas in the atmosphere. There is no evidence that this CO2 is a more effective green house gas than the water it depends upon to clear it from the atmosphere.
Post by Keema's Nan
Or are you just going to leave the mess for your grandkids to clean up?
You don’t ‘chase’ wildlife. They have enough enemies doing that where
they live, without you joining in.
Wild life tourism is an expanding industry. Because of the antics of people like us, thousands of people living in places deprived of other natural resources earn a better living. millions of acres of wilderness are preserved
at least to some extent. The tourism gives these people incentive to protect them. If the sight of these animals had no commercial value then they would go. Of that there is little doubt.

Once the white man went to wild places to shoot the animals and take them as trophies. Now the white man goes to see them to take pictures.
Keema's Nan
2020-05-25 07:26:34 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Or are you just going to leave the mess for your grandkids to clean up?
You don’t ‘chase’ wildlife. They have enough enemies doing that where
they live, without you joining in.
Wild life tourism is an expanding industry.
Only because there is hardly any of it left, and people are desperate to see
species before they are rendered extinct in their natural habitat.

The tourist trade is accelerating that extinction.
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Because of the antics of people
like us, thousands of people living in places deprived of other natural
resources earn a better living. millions of acres of wilderness are preserved
at least to some extent. The tourism gives these people incentive to protect
them. If the sight of these animals had no commercial value then they would
go. Of that there is little doubt.
I’ll take that as a, yes you are going to leave the mess for your grandkids
and great grandkids to clear up.

An attitude which doesn’t surprise me one little bit.
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Once the white man went to wild places to shoot the animals and take them as
trophies. Now the white man goes to see them to take pictures.
Polluting all the way there, and all the way back.

Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
2020-05-21 21:12:05 UTC
On Thu, 21 May 2020 21:32:39 +0100, Keema's Nan
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
You get sparrows? Luxury. Those disappeared from London 30 years
ago!
Joe
2020-05-21 21:40:25 UTC
On Thu, 21 May 2020 14:12:05 -0700
Post by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
You get sparrows? Luxury. Those disappeared from London 30 years
ago!
You need hedges. All the wooden eaves etc. have been replaced by PVC,
which is presumably not sparrow-friendly. But walk past a front hedge
at the right time of day and you'll hear a tremendous racket. Sparrows
aren't musical.
Farmer Giles
2020-05-22 07:20:39 UTC
Post by Joe
On Thu, 21 May 2020 14:12:05 -0700
Post by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
You get sparrows? Luxury. Those disappeared from London 30 years
ago!
You need hedges. All the wooden eaves etc. have been replaced by PVC,
which is presumably not sparrow-friendly. But walk past a front hedge
at the right time of day and you'll hear a tremendous racket. Sparrows
aren't musical.
There are two different types of sparrows - hedge sparrows and house
sparrows. They are still about in numbers here in the Welsh Marches, but
both have declined considerably in recent times.

The hedge sparrow is actually a dunnock. Although generally known as a
hedge sparrow - because it is difficult to distinguish from a house
sparrow, it is in fact not a sparrow.
Joe
2020-05-22 07:41:22 UTC
On Fri, 22 May 2020 08:20:39 +0100
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Joe
On Thu, 21 May 2020 14:12:05 -0700
Post by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
You get sparrows? Luxury. Those disappeared from London 30 years
ago!
You need hedges. All the wooden eaves etc. have been replaced by
PVC, which is presumably not sparrow-friendly. But walk past a
front hedge at the right time of day and you'll hear a tremendous
racket. Sparrows aren't musical.
There are two different types of sparrows - hedge sparrows and house
sparrows. They are still about in numbers here in the Welsh Marches,
but both have declined considerably in recent times.
The hedge sparrow is actually a dunnock. Although generally known as
a hedge sparrow - because it is difficult to distinguish from a house
sparrow, it is in fact not a sparrow.
Indeed so. But house sparrows are gregarious, hence have a boring call.

Dunnocks are mainly solitary, quite aggressive and territorial and sing
beautifully.
Farmer Giles
2020-05-22 07:49:49 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Joe
[...]
That's right. I have a box for house sparrows on the side of my house,
and it generally has a couple of families in there (it has more than one
compartment). They do make a bit of a racket at times, but I still like
to see them there.

They have declined, no doubt about it, but more worrying is the virtual
disappearance here of swallows and swifts. Being trapped around the Med,
apparently I had hoped that the lockdown would stop that, but it doesn't
seem to have done.
Keema's Nan
2020-05-22 10:43:11 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Joe
[...]
I am surprised you see very few swifts, as you are in a more rural area
generally.

I don’t see very many, and about one quarter of the number which I saw 35
years ago; but I do see the occasional one, as they nest a couple of hundred
yards away in the gables of an old stone building.I have seen one this
morning battling against the wind, although I suppose the insects are being
swept along as well.
Post by Farmer Giles
Being trapped around the Med,
apparently I had hoped that the lockdown would stop that, but it doesn't
seem to have done.
The first thing I would do is threaten to rescind the George Cross from Malta
unless they stopped the slaughter of migrant birds, and then add a 100%
surcharge to all holiday destinations in the Med where the country’
population indulge in the trapping/shooting of overflying birds.

Hit them where it hurts the most is the only way.
David Edmunds
2020-05-22 08:44:27 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Joe
[...]
Last year we had several dunnocks in our garden, they have a very active sex life and open relationships. No pairing for them. Almost embarrassing!

David Martin Edmunds
Keema's Nan
2020-05-22 07:47:31 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Joe
On Thu, 21 May 2020 14:12:05 -0700
You get sparrows? Luxury. Those disappeared from London 30 years
ago!
You need hedges. All the wooden eaves etc. have been replaced by PVC,
which is presumably not sparrow-friendly. But walk past a front hedge
at the right time of day and you'll hear a tremendous racket. Sparrows
aren't musical.
There are two different types of sparrows - hedge sparrows and house
sparrows. They are still about in numbers here in the Welsh Marches, but
both have declined considerably in recent times.
We have a lot of house sparrows, mainly because the flashing between the
chimney breast and the roof ties has lifted slightly, and the sparrows can
exploit the gaps underneath for dry nesting sites; and the solar panels on
next doors roof leave sparrow-sized gaps underneath the frames.
Post by Farmer Giles
The hedge sparrow is actually a dunnock. Although generally known as a
hedge sparrow - because it is difficult to distinguish from a house
sparrow, it is in fact not a sparrow.
Dunnocks are strange birds. The females can mate with several males and lay
eggs with varied parentage in the same nest. The males will try and peck at
the females’ privates and remove sperm which has been inserted by another
male.

A couple can usually be found hopping around under shrubs in our back garden
(although it is a mystery why we use hopping to describe movement by birds
when they are actually jumping with both feet, and not hopping on one leg).
Incubus
2020-05-22 08:56:24 UTC
Dunnocks are strange birds. The females can mate with several males and lay
eggs with varied parentage in the same nest. The males will try and peck at
the females’ privates and remove sperm which has been inserted by another
male.
It sounds like some of the more bizarre sexual practices that Leftists engage
in these days according to The Worst of Twitter et al.
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
2020-05-22 13:40:47 UTC
Post by Joe
On Thu, 21 May 2020 14:12:05 -0700
Post by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
You get sparrows? Luxury. Those disappeared from London 30 years
ago!
You need hedges. All the wooden eaves etc. have been replaced by PVC,
which is presumably not sparrow-friendly. But walk past a front hedge
at the right time of day and you'll hear a tremendous racket. Sparrows
aren't musical.
Front hedge? Most front gardens around here have been converted to
off-street parking!
JNugent
2020-05-22 00:31:22 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
Longer ago than that, I'd say.

When I was a kid in Liverpool, swarms of pigeons and sparrows were about
equal in numbers. Not now. Not for some decades.
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
2020-05-22 13:42:47 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
Some ideas here:
https://www.independent.co.uk/30yearsoftheindependent/where-have-all-the-sparrows-gone-a7349336.html

Other sources blame car exhausts, even avian malaria.

There was an article about it in our local paper some years ago:
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2002-jul-08-fg-sparrows8-story.html
JNugent
2020-05-22 15:03:20 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
Although there are some who will immediately blame car exhaust (almost
as an article of faith), there isn't less of that in Paris than there is
in London, Liverpool or Glasgow.
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
2020-05-22 16:24:11 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
Paris has experienced a similar recent decline in the sparrow
population....gentrification is apparently one cause.
Keema's Nan
2020-05-22 15:03:47 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
Or maybe just that for 40 years, new buildings have been constructed without
any thought of nesting birds.

Nest bricks? Certainly not - that would cost more. Overhanging eaves of more
than an inch? Certainly not - that would cost more.

Nothing is allowed to get in the way of profit maximisation.
JNugent
2020-05-22 15:13:19 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
In the UK's inner cities, there used to be a lot of grassed-over vacant
land, much of it due to bombing and "slum" demolition without
replacement. Nowadays, that stock is dwindling with the trendy move back
to the city-centre, student flats, educational building, etc.
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Or keeping the price of new housing down, if you prefer.
Keema's Nan
2020-05-22 16:36:32 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
Prices could be even lower if companies were not extracting as much profit as
possible.
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
2020-05-22 17:34:10 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
But that is the whole point of going into business! Let the market
decide if house prices are too high!
Keema's Nan
If that is the only reason people go into business, no wonder we are fucked.
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
2020-05-22 18:34:22 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
It's the main reason. Providing charitable housing comes a (very)
distant second.
Post by Keema's Nan
no wonder we are fucked.
Why do you imagine we're fucked?
m***@btopenworld.com
2020-05-23 08:08:01 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
no wonder we are fucked.
Why do you imagine we're fucked?
He doesn't

Now that all the public loos are locked up, he hasn't got a wall to write that word on!
Keema's Nan
2020-05-23 08:47:13 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
no wonder we are fucked.
Why do you imagine we're fucked?
He doesn't
I do. The economy (such as it was) has gone down the pan.

It is just that few people have woken up to the fact, and Tories will never
admit it.

A state which relies on producing cheap take-away/home delivered food,
botch-job housing built by shoddy ‘cheap and nasty’ 'maximise profits’
maxims, and assembling quality parts made in other countries, will never
fully recover from this virus; because there is nothing there to recover.

If people decide not to go out to restaurants, cinemas, take-away shops as
much as they used to, and pay off debt they racked up from online shopping
(of mostly cheap imported goods), then how is the economy ever going to
function properly again?

It is called survival of the fittest, and modern day Britain was never fit
enough to survive a severe recession of the kind we are now experiencing.
(Wait for the 2nd 3rd and 4th qtr GDP results)
Your ad hominems are so infantile.
Farmer Giles
2020-05-23 11:05:07 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
no wonder we are fucked.
Why do you imagine we're fucked?
He doesn't
I do. The economy (such as it was) has gone down the pan.
It is just that few people have woken up to the fact, and Tories will never
admit it.
Last month this government borrowed £62 billion we are told.

Let's call the population of the UK 62 million so, for the sake of
convenience, that is - if my arithmetic serves me correctly - £1000 for
every man, woman and child in the land (62x10^9/62x10^6) - roughly £250
per week. If that isn't an economy 'down the pan', then I don't know
what is.*

The bankers and the rest of the gang must be jumping for joy. They will
soon have their hands on the last few national assets that we currently
have control of.

* In 'good' times the Government ONLY borrows £13 billion in one month.

There is, of course, absolutely no need for any of this (cue, usual
nonsense from the usual suspects).
Keema's Nan
2020-05-23 12:00:05 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
[...]
Do we have any assets left?

US asset strippers, hedge funds and tax avoiding (in the UK) billionaires
have bought a lot of them, with Asian tax avoiding (in the UK) billionaires
owning much of the rest. EU government backed companies bought most of our
rail franchises, but on terms where we seem to pay them more in subsidies
than they pay us in revenue.

Not much potential income there.

We import as much cheap food as we possibly can, because that is the way
Tories like it - why pay more for quality? © Nugent/Rowing.

We have very little to export, except high quality expensive food which most
Brits refuse to eat because they can buy dirt cheap brands at
Aldi/Lidl. Who wants British products when the cheap shops sell Thirdreich
Biscuits, WaffenSS Breakfast Cereals and Svinehund Cake brands?

Balance of payment nightmare there.

Even banana republics usually have some cash crop to fall back on, but we
don’t even have that. I suppose our friends in the city can contribute a
few billion via dodgy currency trading, and commodity dealing.

The Nuggets of this world had better force their heads out of the sand pretty
quickly, or emigrate to somewhere with an industrial base; or the shock of
the prospective house price crash (as banks refuse to sanction mortgages to
folk who can’t guarantee they will not be furloughed every winter as the
virus spikes) is going to see their net worth plunge through the floor.

Already I am told of 25% deposit minimum being demanded for new mortgage
applications.

Don’t say you haven’t been warned.
Ophelia
2020-05-22 14:39:44 UTC

Post by Keema's Nan
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]

===

I am sorry to hear that:( We get a LOT up here:))
https://www.avg.com
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
So THAT'S where they went!
Ophelia
2020-05-22 18:45:34 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]

lol it looks like:)))))
https://www.avg.com
Ophelia
2020-05-22 14:38:30 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]

We have a lot of birds here, but as you know we are in the middle of
nowhere:) We have swallows and blackbirds nesting in our eaves and a huge
number of different birds flying in to our feeders:)

You will see if ever you get up here:)
https://www.avg.com
Keema's Nan

Do you have midges?
Ophelia
2020-05-22 15:14:48 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]

====

Unfortunately ....... :)
https://www.avg.com
Andy Walker
2020-05-23 10:22:13 UTC
[...]
We used to have a dawn chorus of song thrushes and garden warblers, plus
great tits, robins and blackbirds. Now if we are lucky we get a couple of
house sparrows and wood pigeon.
I'm not a bird-spotter, so can't pretend to know in detail what
species we have, but we used [50-odd years ago] to have nothing but
pigeons and sparrows. Then blackbirds and starlings while the sparrows
disappeared. Now it's an assortment of tits and goldfinches. Still
no sparrows, but the pigeons seem to be a fixture, tho' I suspect it's
a different breed these days. Occasional robins. Lots of other things
I couldn't name -- much more variety than decades ago. Oh, and a
magpie that we often see raiding next door's wheely bin.

We have woodland at the bottom of our garden, which was pretty
lifeless in my childhood [tho' I recall a Great Event one year when we
found an "ejog" (local spelling!) and tried to adopt it, not realising
that it was infested with fleas]. These days it harbours squirrels
[lots, but grey rather than red], foxes [at least two large families]
and badgers; and no doubt enough other stuff to keep them all well fed.
[All this within five minutes walk of the city centre -- I expect the
animals all know where the best restaurants are.]

[...]
It is all very sad, and yet many people appear not to have noticed. I doubt
they will notice until there is nothing.
Around here it's change rather than decline.

[KN:]
Post by Keema's Nan
Do you have midges?
[O:]
Post by Keema's Nan
  Unfortunately ....... :)
I don't understand how midges survive. We have often holidayed
in the NW of Scotland, where you can easily be more than five miles from
the nearest house, with no sheep or other recognisable life -- there are
large tracts of the most desolate moorland --, you stop to take a
photograph, and instantly you're the centre of a plague of midgets [as
the hotel people called them]. Why were they there waiting? They can't
have come from anywhere else -- you can walk away from them and they can't
keep up, but as soon as you stop a different crowd surrounds you. Even
the slightest wind keeps them away. They must have an exciting life.

We had a plague of tiny flies yesterday. No idea what they were,
but we found thousands of them, dead or dying, on the insides of all our
south-facing windows. Not the north-facing ones, which would have had
more light in the early morning. They wouldn't have been able to escape,
as it was v windy and there was a gale blowing in through all the gaps.
--
Andy Walker,
Nottingham.
True Blue