8 Helpful Tips for Flying While Fat
Incubus
2018-11-12 16:41:15 UTC
"8 Helpful Tips for Flying While Fat"

You have to read the article to appreciate it, but here is the short version:

1. Have a catchy plus-size positive slogan on your shirt to show you don't care
what people think about your lifestyle choice

2. Dress like a slob

3. Use a seatbelt extender

4. Use an airline that lets you claim money back for an extra seat, thus
reducing the capacity of the aeroplane for normal people

5. Drug yourself with Xanax

6. Be the last person on the aeroplane so you can get an aisle seat

7. Pack lightly (for reasons of stress relief rather than because you are
taking up more than your fair share of weight)

8. Make a joke to the person you are squashing as an ice-breaker

For some reason, losing weight doesn't appear on the list of suggestions.

https://everydayfeminism.com/2015/12/tips-flying-while-fat/
Fruitiest of Fruitcakes
2018-11-12 18:45:16 UTC
Post by Incubus
"8 Helpful Tips for Flying While Fat"
1. Have a catchy plus-size positive slogan on your shirt to show you don't care
what people think about your lifestyle choice
2. Dress like a slob
Is there an alternative?

Do you know how much it costs to have a suit made to fit a 56 inch chest?
Post by Incubus
3. Use a seatbelt extender
4. Use an airline that lets you claim money back for an extra seat, thus
reducing the capacity of the aeroplane for normal people
5. Drug yourself with Xanax
6. Be the last person on the aeroplane so you can get an aisle seat
7. Pack lightly (for reasons of stress relief rather than because you are
taking up more than your fair share of weight)
8. Make a joke to the person you are squashing as an ice-breaker
Fortunately, to avoid all these insulting self righteous folk (with a massive
carbon footprint they choose to ignore) I avoid flying, and go by train.

Yes it means that I can’t partake in a Rowing/Nugent/`Total one-upmanship
contest about who holidayed in the most exotic locations; but I can live with
that.
Post by Incubus
For some reason, losing weight doesn't appear on the list of suggestions.
Probably because it is not as easy as sanctimonious thin people think.
Pamela
2018-11-12 19:04:59 UTC
[SNIP]
Which delightful destinations have featured in previous contests?
JNugent
2018-11-12 23:25:16 UTC
Post by Pamela
[SNIP]
Yes it means that I can't partake in a Rowing/Nugent/Total
one-upmanship contest about who holidayed in the most exotic
locations; but I can live with that.
Which delightful destinations have featured in previous contests?
Belgium did, I think.

And possibly Newark, NJ.
JNugent
2018-11-12 22:38:53 UTC
Post by Incubus
3. Use a seatbelt extender
4. Use an airline that lets you claim money back for an extra seat, thus
reducing the capacity of the aeroplane for normal people
5. Drug yourself with Xanax
6. Be the last person on the aeroplane so you can get an aisle seat
7. Pack lightly (for reasons of stress relief rather than because you are
taking up more than your fair share of weight)
8. Make a joke to the person you are squashing as an ice-breaker
Fortunately, to avoid all these insulting self righteous folk (with a massive
carbon footprint they choose to ignore) I avoid flying, and go by train.
Yes it means that I can’t partake in a Rowing/Nugent/`Total one-upmanship
contest about who holidayed in the most exotic locations; but I can live with
that.
I don't know about you, but I have never been to any exotic location (as
usually defined) for any reason at all. Offhand, I cannot remember MR
ever even speaking about foreign travel either.

You must be thinking of someone else.
Farmer Giles
2018-11-13 07:34:27 UTC
Post by Incubus
[...]
I'm sure that he claimed a while back that he had 'stood' on every
continent on the planet.
m***@btopenworld.com
2018-11-13 09:22:43 UTC
Post by Incubus
[...]
Yes and that's perfectly true. The one large region he has never visited is the Caribbean and he expects to put that omission right this coming Christmas. Last year he went to the Baltic and froze!

You can't beat travel to broaden the mind.
Farmer Giles
It doesn't seem to have done much for you.
g***@googlemail.com
2018-11-13 14:02:25 UTC
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by Incubus
[...]
Very wise. Antigua is my destination of choice.

m***@btopenworld.com
2018-11-13 09:52:10 UTC
Post by Incubus
"8 Helpful Tips for Flying While Fat"
1. Have a catchy plus-size positive slogan on your shirt to show you don't care
what people think about your lifestyle choice
2. Dress like a slob
3. Use a seatbelt extender
4. Use an airline that lets you claim money back for an extra seat, thus
reducing the capacity of the aeroplane for normal people
5. Drug yourself with Xanax
6. Be the last person on the aeroplane so you can get an aisle seat
7. Pack lightly (for reasons of stress relief rather than because you are
taking up more than your fair share of weight)
8. Make a joke to the person you are squashing as an ice-breaker
For some reason, losing weight doesn't appear on the list of suggestions.
https://everydayfeminism.com/2015/12/tips-flying-while-fat/
Perhaps it would be fairer if passengers and their baggage were carried on the basis of combined weight. It is after all it's this factor that determines the amount of fuel to lifts it to its flying height.

Only once have I had to request cabin crew to move me to an alternative seat because of the body size of my neighbouring passenger who was so enormous that it was impossible to get the arm rest between us down. He should have been required to buy the seat next to him. After all the owners of large musical instruments have to do this if they wish their instrument to travel in the cabin with them.

Clinically obese people are becoming an increasing nuisance not only in aircraft but also buses, cinemas and theatres.

The answer to their affliction rests solely in their own hands.

They have no real need of our sympathy.