EU official calls Capitol storming "a wakeup call for democracy” yet he wants more censorship
2021-01-12 00:48:59 UTC
This should indeed be a wakeup call for democracies, but he doesn’t mean it
like we would mean it. The fact that the reaction to Wednesday’s events by
the global bureaucratic class is "we need more censorship!" is not even a
little bit shocking or surprising, but it is actually AMAZING. It speaks to
what they are actually planning in the long term: They want a complete and
total lockdown on all information, and on all forms of basic communication.
THAT is their solution to the fact that people do not like what is happening
in their countries...
U.S. Capitol siege a 'wake-up call' for democracies, top EU diplomat says

By Kate Abnett
JANUARY 10, 2021

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - The European Union’s top diplomat said on Sunday that
last week’s siege of the U.S. Capitol exposed the dangers of allowing the
degradation of democratic values to go unchecked and disinformation to
spread on social media.

“What we saw on Wednesday was only the climax of very worrying developments
happening globally in recent years. It must be a wake-up call for all
democracy advocates,” EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said in a blog
post.

“Everybody needs to understand that if we accept setbacks after setbacks,
even if they seem minor, democracy and its values and institutions can
eventually and irreversibly perish,” said Borrell, who speaks on behalf of
the 27 EU member states.

President Donald Trump is facing a renewed drive by Democrats to remove him
from office after he incited supporters to storm the U.S. Capitol, based on
the unsubstantiated claim that he lost the Nov. 3 election due to widespread
voter fraud.

The resulting assault by rioters left five people dead.

“In case anyone had any doubts, the events in Washington also show that
disinformation constitutes a real threat for democracies,” Borrell said. “If
some people believe that an election was fraudulent, because their leader
has been once and again telling them, they will behave accordingly.”

Borrell called for better regulation on social networks, and said this could
not be carried out by the companies themselves.

Twitter permanently cut off Trump’s personal account and access to his
nearly 90 million followers late on Friday, citing the risk of further
incitement of violence. Trump has repeatedly used Twitter and other
platforms to claim the election result was fraudulent and to share other
conspiracy theories.

The EU’s executive Commission last month proposed rules to clamp down on
fake news on social media. These would force large online platforms to
tackle illegal content and intentional manipulation of platforms to
influence elections and public health, or face fines up to 6% of global
turnover.

https://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSKBN29F0G9
A. Filip
2021-01-12 01:30:24 UTC
[…]
https://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSKBN29F0G9
UK officials called Boston Tea Party a wake up call for law and order! ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Tea_Party
--
A. Filip