Southgate made mistakes in his selections for his squad
RH
2021-07-13 15:14:00 UTC
Apart from the blunders Southgate made over the taking of penalties there is a good argument to say he did not pick the strongest possible squad. ( To see what I am getting at you will need to be familiar with top flight English players. )

This is Southgate's 26 man squad

Goalkeepers: (3) Sam Johnstone (West Bromwich Albion), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Sheffield United)

Defenders: (10) Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Conor Coady (Wolves), Reece James (Chelsea), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid), Kyle Walker (Manchester City), Ben White (Brighton & Hove Albion)

Midfielders: (5) Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Kalvin Phillips (Leeds), Declan Rice (West Ham)

Forwards: (8) Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Aston Villa), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City)

This is my squad. Had injuries not intervened I would have had Nick Pope (Burnley) as one of the goalkeeper plus Harvey Barnes (Leicester) instead of Harry Winks.

I would also have tried to talk Jamie Vardy into playing for England again.

I would argue that this squad has greater goal potential, much needed width with Harrison and Albrighton and be much more likely to be panicked by the occasion because of the much greater experience within the squad.
Goalkeepers: (3) Sam Johnstone (West Bromwich Albion), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Sheffield United)

Defenders (9): Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Conor Coady (Wolves), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid), Ben White (Brighton & Hove Albion), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Michael Keane (Everton)

Midfielders, (8) Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Declan Rice (West Ham), James Ward Prows (Southampton,) James Maddison (Leicester), Marc Albrighton, (Leicester), Jack Harrison (Leeds) Jonjo Shelvey (Newcastle) U, Harry Winks (Tottenham Hotspur)

Forwards: (5) Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Aston Villa), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Patrick Bamford (Leeds) Danny Ings (Southampton)
RH
Pancho
2021-07-13 17:59:53 UTC
Post by RH
I would argue that this squad has greater goal potential, much needed width with Harrison and Albrighton and be much more likely to be panicked by the occasion because of the much greater experience within the squad.
Goalkeepers: (3) Sam Johnstone (West Bromwich Albion), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Sheffield United)
Aaron: sounds Jewish?
Post by RH
Defenders (9): Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Conor Coady (Wolves), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid), Ben White (Brighton & Hove Albion), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Michael Keane (Everton)
Athletico Madrid? That's not an English side is it?
Maguire: Sounds Irish.
Keane: Played for Ireland!
Post by RH
Midfielders, (8) Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Declan Rice (West Ham), James Ward Prows (Southampton,) James Maddison (Leicester), Marc Albrighton, (Leicester), Jack Harrison (Leeds) Jonjo Shelvey (Newcastle) U, Harry Winks (Tottenham Hotspur)
Jonjo Shelvey: Irish Traveller and Scottish heritage!

They may be good players, but I'm not convinced their hearts would be in
representing England.

You might just as well suggest Alex Ferguson for manager.
Custos Custodum
2021-07-13 19:39:02 UTC
Apart from the blunders Southgate made over the taking of penalties there is a good argument to say he did not pick the strongest possible squad. ( To see what I am getting at you will need to be familiar with the article that got me banned from Wisden Cricket Monthly back in 1995. )
There, IFYPFY. You can thank me later.
Pamela
2021-07-13 19:51:22 UTC
Post by RH
Apart from the blunders Southgate made over the taking of penalties
there is a good argument to say he did not pick the strongest
possible squad. ( To see what I am getting at you will need to
be familiar with top flight English players. )
This is Southgate's 26 man squad
This is my squad. Had injuries not intervened I would have had Nick
Pope (Burnley) as one of the goalkeeper plus Harvey Barnes
(Leicester) instead of Harry Winks.
I would also have tried to talk Jamie Vardy into playing for
England again.
I would argue that this squad has greater goal potential,
Ho Robert, are you saying Southgate picked a substandard team -
perhaps to unduly favour ethinic minorities and placate the racial
lobby groups?

I'm no football fan but can count five black faces in a full England
squad photo numbering 27. They're Rashford, Sancho, Saka, James and
Mings. Plus one brown called Sterling. Seems white inequality in
football is permitted.
RH
I am saying he did not, in my opinion , pick the strongest squad. My opinion is based on the detailed reasons I have given,. RH
abelard
2021-07-13 20:09:21 UTC
Post by RH
[...]
a performance for idiots and yobs...why would anyone care?

circuses for the brain dead...performances for the mentally
challenged

results are based on chance

is it right chelsea performers appear for germany and so on?

buy this week's luckiest kickers...absorb the wages of the
poor, while giving them an emotional thrill at weekends
as temporary relief and release
RH
I do wish its owner would realise "Abelard" is fit only for the knacker's yard .... RH
Pancho
2021-07-14 08:24:01 UTC
Post by RH
Post by abelard
[...]
You aren't addressing the obvious question of why you are happy to have
Irish in the England squad but not people with dusky complexions.

The Irish have a long history of hating the English, it's in the blood.
abelard
2021-07-14 14:04:28 UTC
On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 09:24:01 +0100, Pancho
Post by Pancho
Post by RH
Post by abelard
[...]
hatstand is an interlechewal...he knows all their names

he even knows their light reflectivity indices!
RH
Oh dear, it really is tragic to see the way "Abelard's" owner cruelly displays the hilarious limitations of the 1947 valve computer ... RH
Incubus
2021-07-14 15:38:45 UTC
Post by Pancho
Post by RH
Post by abelard
[...]
Some of them are very favourable towards us and wanted our team to win.