'A deadly problem': should we ban SUVs from our cities? (guardian)
2mat
2019-10-07 09:16:50 UTC
not. far. enough.

ban SUVs
abelard
2019-10-07 11:00:18 UTC
On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 09:16:50 -0000 (UTC), 2mat
Post by 2mat
not. far. enough.
ban SUVs
ban people...problem solved
2019-10-07 11:01:02 UTC
On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 09:16:50 -0000 (UTC), 2mat
Post by 2mat
not. far. enough.
ban SUVs
ban people...problem solved
Ban cities.
abelard
2019-10-07 11:06:53 UTC
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by abelard
On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 09:16:50 -0000 (UTC), 2mat
Post by 2mat
not. far. enough.
ban SUVs
ban people...problem solved
Ban cities.
like any snowflake you refuse to go far enough to
solve the problem
2019-10-07 11:18:14 UTC
Post by 2mat
not. far. enough.
ban SUVs
ban people...problem solved
Ban cities.
like any snowflake you refuse to go far enough to
solve the problem
I think there are just too many obstacles to banning people. Although
they will eventually disappear, I suppose.
abelard
2019-10-07 11:30:58 UTC
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by abelard
Post by 2mat
not. far. enough.
ban SUVs
ban people...problem solved
Ban cities.
like any snowflake you refuse to go far enough to
solve the problem
I think there are just too many obstacles to banning people. Although
they will eventually disappear, I suppose.
and now you are avoiding responsibility

so now you're a fatalist!
2019-10-07 11:38:37 UTC
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by abelard
Post by 2mat
not. far. enough.
ban SUVs
ban people...problem solved
Ban cities.
like any snowflake you refuse to go far enough to
solve the problem
I think there are just too many obstacles to banning people. Although
they will eventually disappear, I suppose.
and now you are avoiding responsibility
I had no idea it was heading my way.
Post by abelard
so now you're a fatalist!
What else is there to be? :-)
Keema's Nan
2019-10-07 11:09:49 UTC
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by abelard
On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 09:16:50 -0000 (UTC), 2mat
Post by 2mat
not. far. enough.
ban SUVs
ban people...problem solved
Ban cities.
Bath is proposing to charge high emission vehicles £100 a day to drive
around the city.

That should persuade a few more snobs to join the plebs on the park and ride
bus.
Dan S. MacAbre
Clear the roads for the richest people only.
Farmer Giles
2019-10-07 14:09:18 UTC
Post by 2mat
not. far. enough.
ban SUVs
ban people...problem solved
Ban cities.
Bath is proposing to charge high emission vehicles £100 a day to drive
around the city.
That should persuade a few more snobs to join the plebs on the park and ride
bus.
Last time we went to Bath - last year - we used the park and ride. It
was excellent, and a damned sight easier than trying to drive in and
find somewhere to park. Bath is a wonderful town, but certainly not one
built for today's level of traffic.
JNugent
2019-10-07 15:01:01 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by 2mat
not. far. enough.
ban SUVs
ban people...problem solved
Ban cities.
Bath is proposing to charge high emission vehicles £100 a day to drive
around the city.
That should persuade a few more snobs to join the plebs on the park and ride
bus.
Last time we went to Bath - last year - we used the park and ride. It
was excellent, and a damned sight easier than trying to drive in and
find somewhere to park. Bath is a wonderful town, but certainly not one
built for today's level of traffic.
It doesn't help that Bath is not usefully bypassed for medium-range
journeys. There's only the M4, and that's only any use for people
wanting to get to Bristol and South Wales or round onto the M5. Traffic
from the south and south-east of Bath has little choice but to traverse
the central area.

I wonder whether any similarly historic town or city in Europe sits so
four-square across so many important regional routes?
Farmer Giles
2019-10-07 16:59:51 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by 2mat
[...]
That is very true actually. We came back from Wells heading towards the
M5 and couldn't avoid going through part of Bath.

JNugent
2019-10-07 15:02:08 UTC
Post by 2mat
not. far. enough.
ban SUVs
ban people...problem solved
Ban cities.
Bath is proposing to charge high emission vehicles £100 a day to drive
around the city.
That should persuade a few more snobs to join the plebs on the park and ride
bus.
When they're charging bus companies £100 a day to be allowed access to
Bath, it's hard to see how it will persuade anyone else to ride on them.
Keema's Nan
2019-10-07 16:05:44 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by 2mat
not. far. enough.
ban SUVs
ban people...problem solved
Ban cities.
Bath is proposing to charge high emission vehicles £100 a day to drive
around the city.
That should persuade a few more snobs to join the plebs on the park and ride
bus.
When they're charging bus companies £100 a day to be allowed access to
Bath, it's hard to see how it will persuade anyone else to ride on them.
The city's buses are low emission vehicles.

Although the open top tour buses used to get lots of complaints from
residents in the Circus and Royal Crescent due to the loud commentaries which
came with them every 30 minutes or so.I think it is all done through plug-in
earphones now.

The Bath residents are a notoriously sensitive bunch
JNugent
2019-10-07 16:42:36 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by 2mat
not. far. enough.
ban SUVs
ban people...problem solved
Ban cities.
Bath is proposing to charge high emission vehicles £100 a day to drive
around the city.
That should persuade a few more snobs to join the plebs on the park and ride
bus.
When they're charging bus companies £100 a day to be allowed access to
Bath, it's hard to see how it will persuade anyone else to ride on them.
The city's buses are low emission vehicles.
That probably means that the emissions are emitted from power stations
near someone else's houses. "Someone else" who doesn't matter, of course.
2019-10-07 14:59:22 UTC
On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 09:16:50 -0000 (UTC), 2mat
Post by 2mat
not. far. enough.
ban SUVs
ban people...problem solved
People are banned here. The combined effect of fear of traffic, long distances and dysfunctional infrastructure force people to drive everywhere.