UK: University professor's book on free speech deemed too dangerous to publish
2019-10-06 00:31:26 UTC

https://quillette.com/2019/09/24/my-book-defending-free-speech-has-been-banned/

https://www.amazon.ae/Defense-Free-Speech-University-Censor/dp/1789736269

"The good university is one that teaches students the intellectual skills
they need to be intelligently critical - of their own beliefs and of the
narratives presented by politicians and the media. Freedom to debate is
essential to the development of critical thought, but on university campuses
today free speech is restricted for fear of causing offence. In Defense of
Free Speech surveys the underlying factors that circumscribe the ideas
tolerated in our institutions of learning. James Flynn critically examines
the way universities censor their teaching, how student activism tends to
censor the opposing side and how academics censor themselves, and suggests
that few, if any, universities can truly be seen as 'good'. In an age marred
by fake news and social and political polarization, In Defense of Free
Speech makes an impassioned argument for a return to critical thought."

"Flynn demolishes all possible arguments against free speech. He shows from
his own career how writers and works that today are anathema to the left
made important contributions to his growth as a scientist and philosopher
and how they helped him to refute right-wing ideas that he was already
inclined to oppose." --Richard E. Nisbett, University of Michigan

"This is a bold, brilliant and courageous book...I don't agree with some of
Flynn's arguments, but he made it clear to me that I had better get to work
and gather evidence to support my case or change my mind. This outcome is at
the core how scholarly arguments should proceed." --Thomas J. Bouchard Jr,
University of Minnesota, USA
abelard
2019-10-06 10:26:39 UTC
http://youtu.be/l09ii8jxCvw
[...]
thank you for your post
if you get further data on publication please post it