Parliament
Farmer Giles
2020-03-25 08:29:52 UTC
Closing down tonight it seems.

I wonder if the House of Frauds bunch will still get their money? After
all, it's just tax-free 'expenses' they get, so if they don't go there
they can't incur any.

Like the rest of the 'snouts in the public-trough' brigade I bet they'll
find a way to keep sucking on the state teat, and some of them even
claim to be Thatcherite Tories! Bunch of parasites.
Pamela
2020-03-25 10:33:57 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Closing down tonight it seems.
I wonder if the House of Frauds bunch will still get their money? After
all, it's just tax-free 'expenses' they get, so if they don't go there
they can't incur any.
Like the rest of the 'snouts in the public-trough' brigade I bet they'll
find a way to keep sucking on the state teat, and some of them even
claim to be Thatcherite Tories! Bunch of parasites.
Maybe when Parliament uses video conferencing to avoid contamination, MPs
and Lords will get paid expenses for showing their face on a computer
screen.
Farmer Giles
2020-03-25 10:50:31 UTC
Post by Pamela
Post by Farmer Giles
Closing down tonight it seems.
I wonder if the House of Frauds bunch will still get their money? After
all, it's just tax-free 'expenses' they get, so if they don't go there
they can't incur any.
Like the rest of the 'snouts in the public-trough' brigade I bet they'll
find a way to keep sucking on the state teat, and some of them even
claim to be Thatcherite Tories! Bunch of parasites.
Maybe when Parliament uses video conferencing to avoid contamination, MPs
and Lords will get paid expenses for showing their face on a computer
screen.
We can probably accept MPs still getting their salaries, they will I
suppose still be representing and supporting their constituents in some
way (as much as they ever do that is). However, I can't see why the
House of Frauds brigade should get anything. Most of them only go there
for a quiet snooze and they can do that at home.

It's not as if they do anything useful - apart from to themselves, that
is, when they pass go and collect £320 on the way.
JNugent
2020-03-25 17:00:46 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Closing down tonight it seems.
I wonder if the House of Frauds bunch will still get their money? After
all, it's just tax-free 'expenses' they get, so if they don't go there
they can't incur any.
Peers do not get a salary just for being eligible to sit in the Lords.

Since Members of the HoL only get paid a daily attendance allowance (for
attending), they will get nothing when their attendance is not
necessary. That's probably about what many Members get week to week anyway.
Farmer Giles
2020-03-25 18:04:17 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by Farmer Giles
Closing down tonight it seems.
I wonder if the House of Frauds bunch will still get their money?
After all, it's just tax-free 'expenses' they get, so if they don't go
there they can't incur any.
Peers do not get a salary just for being eligible to sit in the Lords.
No-one said they did. However, they do get paid for just turning up and
- now that they are unable to do that - I was simply saying why they
shouldn't get anything now that they are not allowed to - as others are
in normal jobs.
Keema's Nan
2020-03-25 18:37:42 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by JNugent
Post by Farmer Giles
Closing down tonight it seems.
I wonder if the House of Frauds bunch will still get their money?
After all, it's just tax-free 'expenses' they get, so if they don't go
there they can't incur any.
Peers do not get a salary just for being eligible to sit in the Lords.
No-one said they did.
The troll is trying to get a circular argument going about some trivial point
or other, now he has his sock Tonbridge to back him up.
in normal jobs.
Farmer Giles
2020-03-25 18:51:53 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by JNugent
Post by Farmer Giles
Closing down tonight it seems.
I wonder if the House of Frauds bunch will still get their money?
After all, it's just tax-free 'expenses' they get, so if they don't go
there they can't incur any.
Peers do not get a salary just for being eligible to sit in the Lords.
No-one said they did.
The troll is trying to get a circular argument going about some trivial point
or other, now he has his sock Tonbridge to back him up.
Yes, I recognise his 'technique'. Similar to Rowing in that regard, in
that they make a big issue out of some minor and largely meaningless point.

Just look at the above: I said "After all, it's just tax-free 'expenses'
they get'. To which he replies: "Peers do not get a salary for just
sitting in the Lords'.

Duh! Do you think he knows what he's saying?

Both he and his fellow traveller Rowing suffer from the delusion that
they have a properly functioning brain.
Roger
2020-03-27 08:41:36 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Yes, I recognise his 'technique'. Similar to Rowing in that regard, in
that they make a big issue out of some minor and largely meaningless point.
On the other side of the coin you seem to be suggesting they shouldn't get any money when they aren't sitting when there was never any suggestion they were going to in the first place.

That's a prime technique of fake news outlets; whip up a debate about a non existent fact 'cos there's no smoke without fire ;-)
Farmer Giles
2020-03-27 08:53:34 UTC
Post by Roger
Post by Farmer Giles
Yes, I recognise his 'technique'. Similar to Rowing in that regard, in
that they make a big issue out of some minor and largely meaningless point.
On the other side of the coin you seem to be suggesting they shouldn't get any money when they aren't sitting when there was never any suggestion they were going to in the first place.
That's a prime technique of fake news outlets; whip up a debate about a non existent fact 'cos there's no smoke without fire ;-)
The purpose of my post was not to 'whip up a debate about a non-existent
fact', but to raise awareness that they might well try and come up with
something.

As I said these are exceptional times, and different rules are being
applied all over. That shower at Westminster have a long-established
track record of looking after themselves first and foremost.

In normal circumstances if they don't attend they don't get their
'expenses', but these are not normal circumstances and I wondered if
they would try it on. A 'shot across the bows', if you like. That is all.
Keema's Nan
2020-03-27 09:40:43 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Roger
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
Do you really think Nugent is going to understand that logical reasoning?

He doesn’t have the brain power to think beyond the fact that he is always
correct, therefore everyone else must have got it wrong.
Farmer Giles
I agree that Nugent won't be able to, but I was hoping that Roger might.
JNugent
Exactly.
JNugent
2020-03-26 01:44:54 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by JNugent
Post by Farmer Giles
Closing down tonight it seems.
I wonder if the House of Frauds bunch will still get their money?
After all, it's just tax-free 'expenses' they get, so if they don't
go there they can't incur any.
Peers do not get a salary just for being eligible to sit in the Lords.
No-one said they did. However, they do get paid for just turning up and
- now that they are unable to do that - I was simply saying why they
shouldn't get anything now that they are not allowed to - as others are
in normal jobs.
You are stating - and now re-stating - the obvious.

Of course attendance allowances are only payable on attendance. Has
anyone said different?
Farmer Giles
2020-03-26 07:43:08 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by JNugent
Post by Farmer Giles
Closing down tonight it seems.
I wonder if the House of Frauds bunch will still get their money?
After all, it's just tax-free 'expenses' they get, so if they don't
go there they can't incur any.
Peers do not get a salary just for being eligible to sit in the Lords.
No-one said they did. However, they do get paid for just turning up
and - now that they are unable to do that - I was simply saying why
they shouldn't get anything now that they are not allowed to - as
others are in normal jobs.
You are stating - and now re-stating - the obvious.
Of course attendance allowances are only payable on attendance. Has
anyone said different?
I posed a question, I didn't state anything. These are exceptional times
and different rules are being applied all over.

As for 'stating' the obvious, do you mean like the chap who said: 'Peers
do not get a salary just for being eligible to sit in the Lords.'?
JNugent
2020-03-27 03:40:12 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by JNugent
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by JNugent
Post by Farmer Giles
Closing down tonight it seems.
I wonder if the House of Frauds bunch will still get their money?
After all, it's just tax-free 'expenses' they get, so if they don't
go there they can't incur any.
Peers do not get a salary just for being eligible to sit in the Lords.
No-one said they did. However, they do get paid for just turning up
and - now that they are unable to do that - I was simply saying why
they shouldn't get anything now that they are not allowed to - as
others are in normal jobs.
You are stating - and now re-stating - the obvious.
Of course attendance allowances are only payable on attendance. Has
anyone said different?
I posed a question, I didn't state anything. These are exceptional times
and different rules are being applied all over.
Why would anyone get an expenses allowance when not incurring the
relevant expenses?
Post by Farmer Giles
As for 'stating' the obvious, do you mean like the chap who said: 'Peers
do not get a salary just for being eligible to sit in the Lords.'?
That is something you appear not to have known.

Otherwise, you wouldn't have asked the question.
Farmer Giles
2020-03-27 07:12:11 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by JNugent
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by JNugent
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
They get it whether or not they incur any expenses. All sorts of people
are going to get payments they wouldn't normally get because of what's
happening.
Post by JNugent
Post by Farmer Giles
'Peers do not get a salary just for being eligible to sit in the Lords.'?
That is something you appear not to have known.
Otherwise, you wouldn't have asked the question.
Don't be ridiculous, What bit of my comment, 'After all, it's just
tax-free 'expenses' they get', didn't you undersatnd?
Keema's Nan
2020-03-27 08:49:58 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by JNugent
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by JNugent
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by JNugent
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
Nugent probably isn’t.

Looking at the times of his posts, he is probably not even in the UK.
Farmer Giles
2020-03-27 08:55:02 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by JNugent
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by JNugent
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by JNugent
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
Yes, I've thought that too.
Post by Keema's Nan
JNugent
2020-03-27 08:54:55 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by JNugent
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by JNugent
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by JNugent
Post by Farmer Giles
'Peers do not get a salary just for being eligible to sit in the Lords.'?
That is something you appear not to have known.
Otherwise, you wouldn't have asked the question.
Don't be ridiculous, What bit of my comment, 'After all, it's just
tax-free 'expenses' they get', didn't you undersatnd?
If you *knew* that HoL Members don't get a salary and if you *knew* that
the allowance is only payable when a Member attends the House, why did
you ask your question?

You already knew the answers, or so you now claim.
Farmer Giles
2020-03-27 08:58:49 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by JNugent
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by JNugent
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by JNugent
Post by Farmer Giles
'Peers do not get a salary just for being eligible to sit in the Lords.'?
That is something you appear not to have known.
Otherwise, you wouldn't have asked the question.
Don't be ridiculous, What bit of my comment, 'After all, it's just
tax-free 'expenses' they get', didn't you undersatnd?
If you *knew* that HoL Members don't get a salary and if you *knew* that
the allowance is only payable when a Member attends the House, why did
you ask your question?
You already knew the answers, or so you now claim.
Go away, you idiot. Go away and play your silly game with someone on
your level of low-intelligence - try Babbelard.
JNugent
TRANSLATION: "Curses! Foiled again!".
Joe
2020-03-27 09:37:10 UTC
On Fri, 27 Mar 2020 08:54:55 +0000
Post by JNugent
If you *knew* that HoL Members don't get a salary and if you *knew*
that the allowance is only payable when a Member attends the House,
why did you ask your question?
You already knew the answers, or so you now claim.
Many people are currently likely to get paid without actually doing
what they normally do to get paid.

Do you really find it so unlikely that HoL members might find their way
onto the list? It only takes a twitch of the keyboard by some anonymous
civil servant who has an eye on a title after 'retirement'. And it
won't be publicly announced because of, you know, PR.

People only go into government with a view to maximising their wealth
and power.
2020-03-27 11:20:56 UTC
Post by JNugent
If you *knew* that HoL Members don't get a salary and if you *knew*
that the allowance is only payable when a Member attends the House,
why did you ask your question?
You already knew the answers, or so you now claim.
Many people are currently likely to get paid without actually doing
what they normally do to get paid.
Do you really find it so unlikely that HoL members might find their way
onto the list?
Absolutely. There would be no reason to make attendance allowance
payments to those who do not attend.

It's not as though it ever happens in normal circumstances. The
Parliamentary authorities have never wanted the attendance allowance to
be seen as a right or entitlement except for days on which eligible
peers attend the House.
Post by Joe
It only takes a twitch of the keyboard by some anonymous
civil servant who has an eye on a title after 'retirement'. And it
won't be publicly announced because of, you know, PR.
It could not be hidden for long. The Parliamentary spend on expenses
(HoC and HoL) is in the public domain.
Post by Joe
People only go into government with a view to maximising their wealth
and power.
I don't believe that. Neither, really, do you. We both know MPs (and of
MPs) who are motivated only by wanting to get things changed (whether
for the better or the worse in the case of individual MPs is a
subjective matter on which we might not agree).