An instant flu jab at Boots is privatisation – and what is wrong with that? - letters
2019-11-05 15:04:40 UTC
'SIR – Yesterday, I passed a Boots and popped in to see if it could provide a flu jab. The pharmacist offered it there and then (in a consulting room).

Seven minutes later, I was back on the street fully inoculated on the NHS; no fuss, no appointment.

Is this what Labour plans to abolish, with other treatments at NHS expense by independent companies?

John K Nesbitt
Lymington, Hampshire

'SIR – Labour promises to “remove all privatisation from the NHS”. Does that extend to private hospitals, private GPs, privately owned pharmacies, private patient transport services, private pharmaceutical companies and companies that provide the NHS with staff, life-saving equipment, clothing, dressings and food?

The greatest existential threat to the NHS is now the Labour Party.

Gary Hughes
Waterlooville, Hampshire'

'SIR – I retired four years ago as an NHS consultant surgeon. I kept a record of my hours spent with a pair of gloves on, actually doing the stuff that had taken almost two decades to get the hang of. I called it “gloves-on time”.

I had a standard three lists a week, each of four hours. The total average “gloves-on time” came to six hours
40 minutes. That’s about half the time an American surgeon spends operating. The causes are numerous, but they essentially come down to old-fashioned practices in a non-competitive market.

Privatisation of the NHS, or some elements thereof, may be worth considering.

Malcolm Binns
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
JNugent
2019-11-05 15:33:00 UTC
'SIR – Yesterday, I passed a Boots and popped in to see if it could provide a flu jab. The pharmacist offered it there and then (in a consulting room).
Seven minutes later, I was back on the street fully inoculated on the NHS; no fuss, no appointment.
Is this what Labour plans to abolish, with other treatments at NHS expense by independent companies?
John K Nesbitt
Lymington, Hampshire
I had the same experience, again completely FOC, at the local pharmacy
last Friday.
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
'SIR – Labour promises to “remove all privatisation from the NHS”. Does that extend to private hospitals, private GPs, privately owned pharmacies, private patient transport services, private pharmaceutical companies and companies that provide the NHS with staff, life-saving equipment, clothing, dressings and food?
The greatest existential threat to the NHS is now the Labour Party.
Gary Hughes
Waterlooville, Hampshire'
As you imply, there is no "privatisation" in the NHS. Certain essential
parts of (any) health service have always been operated as private
enterprise. That is the way the post-war Labour government set it up.
Private aspects of the NHS start with doctors (GPs') surgeries, all of
which are privately owned and run (and always have been). Additionally,
all drug/medicine production and almost all development of new drugs is
in the hands of private companies and always has been.

What next? Privatisation of the companies that make hospital beds or
nurses' stopwatches? Or perhaps the ones who produce bricks for the
building of hospitals?
abelard
2019-11-05 15:36:52 UTC
Post by JNugent
[...]
the nhs should certainly be forced to make their own bricks