Green Party deputy leader hopefuls tackle a tricky question - "What is a woman?"
James Hammerton
2020-07-20 18:30:24 UTC
See:

3 of the 4 candidates fail or refuse to provide an answer to the
question. 2 of those 3 seem to regard the question, or the asking of it,
as a problem. The other emphasises her intersectional approach to
feminism and her desire to smash the patriarchy.

The 4th candidate rambles on about equality, diversity and unity and not
knowing the ins and outs of things then eventually states "Being a woman
is an attitude."

One of the 3 candidates who didn't provide an answer followed up with this:

https://twitter.com/NickHGreen/status/1284963550293786627

"I wanted to clarify that the reason I didn't think
this question was productive is because it's what I
would call a 'trap question'. I believe it was asked
with a harmful motive to it.

I'd be happy to discuss. I think there is a lot of
misinformation when it comes to this issue."

I now find myself wondering what would happen if we put this question to
our MPs...

Regards,

James
James Hammerton
2020-07-20 19:10:52 UTC
Post by James Hammerton
http://youtu.be/bKaQRTdcds0
3 of the 4 candidates fail or refuse to provide an answer to the
question. 2 of those 3 seem to regard the question, or the asking of it,
as a problem. The other emphasises her intersectional approach to
feminism and her desire to smash the patriarchy.
The 4th candidate rambles on about equality, diversity and unity and not
knowing the ins and outs of things then eventually states "Being a woman
is an attitude."
[etc.. snipped]

This You Gov poll shows the public being split on this question:
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2020/07/16/where-does-british-public-stand-transgender-rights

40% agree a transwoman is a woman, vs 36% disagreeing

41% agree a transman is a man, vs 36% disagreeing

33% of men agree that "a transwoman is a woman", with 43% disagreeing -
same outcome for "a transman is a man".

47% of women agree that "a transwoman is a woman" with 30% disagreeing.

49% of owmen agree that "a transman is a man" with 29% disagreeing.

It's not clear whether definitions of transwoman or transman were given
to the respondents who answered this survey.

I note that all of the above involve substantial "don't knows".

Regards,

James
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
2020-07-20 19:28:32 UTC
On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 20:10:52 +0100, James Hammerton
Post by James Hammerton
Post by James Hammerton
http://youtu.be/bKaQRTdcds0
[...]
A simple DNA and chromosome test will settle the question once and for
all.
abelard
2020-07-20 20:10:23 UTC
Post by James Hammerton
Post by James Hammerton
http://youtu.be/bKaQRTdcds0
[...]
white supremacist masculinised 'science' designed to oppress
more developed persanities
a sure indicator of wretched emotional insecurity
m***@btopenworld.com
2020-07-23 08:24:36 UTC
Post by James Hammerton
I now find myself wondering what would happen if we put this question to
our MPs...
The answer to the question is very simple. A woman is any person who carries the XX chromosome in their genetic makeup from conception onward.

Anything else is pure fantasy. Not so very long ago, such a question would not even have been asked. It has become fashionable to grasp silly ideas and unacceptable to dismiss such nonsense out of hand.

No good will come of it!
Custos Custodum
2020-07-23 10:35:41 UTC
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by James Hammerton
I now find myself wondering what would happen if we put this question to
our MPs...
The answer to the question is very simple. A woman is any person who carries the XX chromosome in their genetic makeup from conception onward.
Two 'X' chromosomes, actually. It would probably be more accurate to
state that a woman is any person who doesn't have a 'Y' chromosome,
since the XXY and XYY abnormalities are both male and XXX is female.
m***@btopenworld.com
2020-07-23 12:14:54 UTC
Post by Custos Custodum
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by James Hammerton
I now find myself wondering what would happen if we put this question to
our MPs...
The answer to the question is very simple. A woman is any person who carries the XX chromosome in their genetic makeup from conception onward.
Two 'X' chromosomes, actually. It would probably be more accurate to
state that a woman is any person who doesn't have a 'Y' chromosome,
since the XXY and XYY abnormalities are both male and XXX is female.
Yes bu you are talking of individuals who feature in the population at an incidence of around 1 in 1000 of 0.OO1% Most of this sub - population are not even aware of their abnormality.

This approach also ignores completely the role of socialization in gender determination. Gender not only is a product of our gene make up. We are also taught to be male or female.

The most important determinant happens of course at birth when the type of genitalia the new infant possesses becomes apparent. Indeed this determinant is crucial or when Mum is first told whether she has a little boy or a little girl. From that moment on he/she will be treated differently in subtle and sometimes not too subtle ways.

For instance with regard to clothes, there is no biological imperative as to what types of clothes either boys or girls habitually wear. Clothes though are more than protection against weather and modesty. They are also expressions of identity and gender or sex,through fashion, is a very important component of identity. That is the crux behind transvestism but a man can never become a woman by wearing women's clothes or vice versa. Anymore than anyone can change sex (a newspaper term) by employing surgical techniques to simulate physical characteristics of their opposite number.

We are in this respect at least, we are as "'im up there, made us!" We simply cannot self define.
Keema's Nan
2020-07-23 11:44:52 UTC
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by James Hammerton
I now find myself wondering what would happen if we put this question to
our MPs...
The answer to the question is very simple. A woman is any person who carries
the XX chromosome in their genetic makeup from conception onward.
And how do you find that out, without committing an offence?
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Anything else is pure fantasy.
So is invading other peoples’ bodies in order to take DNA samples.

The answer in practice may not be as simple as you believe in theory
(Wikipedia cut and paste - usually).
No good will come of it!
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
2020-07-23 14:17:55 UTC
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 12:44:52 +0100, Keema's Nan
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by James Hammerton
I now find myself wondering what would happen if we put this question to
our MPs...
The answer to the question is very simple. A woman is any person who carries
the XX chromosome in their genetic makeup from conception onward.
And how do you find that out, without committing an offence?
Let the police/courts find out if you are charged with 'misgendering'
someone or some such 'hate crime'®™.
NEMO
2020-07-23 21:55:37 UTC
STOP crying like a bitch, you dumb shiteating freak!
BARRY Z. SHEIN jew paedophile of 700 Washington St B'righton Mass
2020-07-24 13:35:23 UTC
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 21:55:37 +0000 (UTC), NEMO aka jew paedophile
SHCUMBAG/PARASHITE/SHPAMMER Barry Z. Shein hat geshrivn:

<fluhs jew shite>

Fuck orf, jew paedophile Barry Z. Shein, you shubhuman shemitic piece
of shite!

Don't you got any little jew shubkiddiesh to diddle, jewboi?
NEMO
2020-07-24 17:19:30 UTC
Post by BARRY Z. SHEIN jew paedophile of 700 Washington St B'righton Mass
Fuck orf,
REPETITION, you shiteating, pissdrinking, donkeydicksucking, grannyfucking,
jizzlicking, motherless pile of sub-excrement nazoid PAEDO filth who takes
dozens of muzzie dicks up his arse and throat on an hourly basis.
BARRY Z. SHEIN jew paedophile of 700 Washington St B'righton Mass

NEMO

NEMO
2020-07-24 21:51:55 UTC
Fuck orf, you dumb polack paedo!
Idiot!
BARRY Z. SHEIN jew paedophile of 700 Washington St B'righton Mass
2020-07-25 13:07:18 UTC
On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 21:51:55 +0000 (UTC), NEMO aka jew paedophile
SHCUMBAG/PARASHITE/SHPAMMER Barry Z. Shein hat geshrivn:

<fluhs jew shite>

Fuck orf, jew paedophile Barry Z. Shein, you shubhuman shemitic piece
of shite!

Don't you got any little jew shubkiddiesh to diddle, jewboi?

Luckily (or not) your circumcished shitshke 'vife' Mary E. Riendeau
Shein vas too old and dried up to excrete any half-jew shubkiddiesh
for you to diddle. D'eau! Look elshevhere a"h!

LOMPOP!
NEMO
2020-07-25 13:24:25 UTC
Post by BARRY Z. SHEIN jew paedophile of 700 Washington St B'righton Mass
Fuck orf,
ONLY after you confess as to why your cocksucking father was in hospital!

"Each time my father was in hospital, there was an attempted (but
failed) break-in at his house. I suspect someone in the hospital
administration was passing details on to one of their bent mates."

How many times did you anally rape your father, sicko?
BARRY Z. SHEIN jew paedophile of 700 Washington St B'righton Mass

LOMPOP!
abelard
2020-07-25 19:16:33 UTC
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 07:17:55 -0700, Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by James Hammerton
I now find myself wondering what would happen if we put this question to
our MPs...
The answer to the question is very simple. A woman is any person who carries
the XX chromosome in their genetic makeup from conception onward.
And how do you find that out, without committing an offence?
Let the police/courts find out if you are charged with 'misgendering'
someone or some such 'hate crime'®™.
it is up to the courts to decide your gender just as they
once had the task of deciding if you were a witch
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
2020-07-25 20:37:31 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by James Hammerton
I now find myself wondering what would happen if we put this question to
our MPs...
The answer to the question is very simple. A woman is any person who carries
the XX chromosome in their genetic makeup from conception onward.
And how do you find that out, without committing an offence?
Let the police/courts find out if you are charged with 'misgendering'
someone or some such 'hate crime'®™.
it is up to the courts to decide your gender just as they
once had the task of deciding if you were a witch
Normally, a short arm inspection should suffice. Where radical
surgery (e.e. penectomy) has been peformed, a simple blood test will
do the trick.
NEMO
2020-07-25 20:41:15 UTC
Post by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Normally,
Normally, shiteating nazoid sub-lice like you do NOT pollute HUMAN
forums. FUCK OFF!
BARRY Z. SHEIN jew paedophile of 700 Washington St B'righton Mass
2020-07-26 13:15:51 UTC
On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 20:41:15 +0000 (UTC), NEMO aka jew paedophile
SHCUMBAG/PARASHITE/SHPAMMER Barry Z. Shein hat geshrivn:

<fluhs jew shite>

Fuck orf, jew paedophile Barry Z. Shein, you shubhuman shemitic piece
of shite!

Don't you got any little jew shubkiddiesh to diddle, jewboi?

Luckily (or not) your circumcished shitshke 'vife' Mary E. Riendeau
Shein vas too old and dried up to excrete any half-jew shubkiddiesh
for you to diddle. Look elshevhere a"h!

D'eau!

LOMPOP!
Keema's Nan
But that does not fit with Rowing’s claim that the answer is very simple.
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
2020-07-26 13:26:39 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by James Hammerton
I now find myself wondering what would happen if we put this question to
our MPs...
The answer to the question is very simple. A woman is any person who
carries
the XX chromosome in their genetic makeup from conception onward.
And how do you find that out, without committing an offence?
Let the police/courts find out if you are charged with 'misgendering'
someone or some such 'hate crime'®™.
it is up to the courts to decide your gender just as they
once had the task of deciding if you were a witch
Normally, a short arm inspection should suffice. Where radical
surgery (e.e. penectomy) has been peformed, a simple blood test will
do the trick.
But that does not fit with Rowing’s claim that the answer is very simple.
Yes, it does. In most cases the short arm inspection will suffice.
Only in extreme cases is a further simple blood test necessary.

You do remember what a short arm inspection is from your army days,
don't you?
JNugent
2020-07-26 14:16:28 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by James Hammerton
[...]
One wonders how the human race has managed to survive for all those
millennia without having a universally-acceptable way of deciding what
sex individuals are.

Perhaps some people are complicating, or trying to complicate, a simple
issue for reasons which are not what they claim?
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
2020-07-26 16:26:44 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by James Hammerton
[...]
Now individuals want to decide for themselves!
Post by JNugent
Perhaps some people are complicating, or trying to complicate, a simple
issue for reasons which are not what they claim?
Let's confuse the issue even further by referring to 'gender', a term
traditionally restricted to grammatical usage.
JNugent
2020-07-27 14:29:15 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by JNugent
Perhaps some people are complicating, or trying to complicate, a simple
issue for reasons which are not what they claim?
Let's confuse the issue even further by referring to 'gender', a term
traditionally restricted to grammatical usage.
Indeed. I first encountered the word in the first year of grammar school
when starting French and Latin. I had literally never heard or seen it
before.
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
2020-07-27 15:55:07 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by JNugent
Perhaps some people are complicating, or trying to complicate, a simple
issue for reasons which are not what they claim?
Let's confuse the issue even further by referring to 'gender', a term
traditionally restricted to grammatical usage.
Indeed. I first encountered the word in the first year of grammar school
when starting French and Latin. I had literally never heard or seen it
before.
The English language, rich as it is, falls behind many others in this
respect.
JNugent
2020-07-27 17:02:07 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by JNugent
Perhaps some people are complicating, or trying to complicate, a simple
issue for reasons which are not what they claim?
Let's confuse the issue even further by referring to 'gender', a term
traditionally restricted to grammatical usage.
Indeed. I first encountered the word in the first year of grammar school
when starting French and Latin. I had literally never heard or seen it
before.
The English language, rich as it is, falls behind many others in this
respect.
I dunno so much... English has the same number of genders as other
languages, but we don't make a fuss about it.

We just say or write "he", "she" or "it" without any feeling any need to
inflect adjectives, articles, etc.
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
2020-07-27 17:28:46 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by JNugent
Perhaps some people are complicating, or trying to complicate, a simple
issue for reasons which are not what they claim?
Let's confuse the issue even further by referring to 'gender', a term
traditionally restricted to grammatical usage.
Indeed. I first encountered the word in the first year of grammar school
when starting French and Latin. I had literally never heard or seen it
before.
The English language, rich as it is, falls behind many others in this
respect.
I dunno so much... English has the same number of genders as other
languages, but we don't make a fuss about it.
We just say or write "he", "she" or "it" without any feeling any need to
inflect adjectives, articles, etc.
We're certainly missing a lot by not having masculine, feminine and
neuter nouns. A few pronouns don't really cut it.
Keema's Nan
2020-07-27 18:44:05 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by abelard
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 07:17:55 -0700, Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Post by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 12:44:52 +0100, Keema's Nan
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by JNugent
Perhaps some people are complicating, or trying to complicate, a simple
issue for reasons which are not what they claim?
Let's confuse the issue even further by referring to 'gender', a term
traditionally restricted to grammatical usage.
Indeed. I first encountered the word in the first year of grammar school
when starting French and Latin. I had literally never heard or seen it
before.
The English language, rich as it is, falls behind many others in this
respect.
I dunno so much... English has the same number of genders as other
languages, but we don't make a fuss about it.
We just say or write "he", "she" or "it" without any feeling any need to
inflect adjectives, articles, etc.
We're certainly missing a lot by not having masculine, feminine and
neuter nouns.
You might be missing a lot, but I’m not.
2020-07-27 19:38:16 UTC
On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 19:44:05 +0100, Keema's Nan
Post by JNugent
[...]
Ah, you've never experienced irregular French nouns, verbs, pronouns,
adjectives and adverbs!
JNugent
2020-07-28 14:50:05 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by JNugent
Perhaps some people are complicating, or trying to complicate, a simple
issue for reasons which are not what they claim?
Let's confuse the issue even further by referring to 'gender', a term
traditionally restricted to grammatical usage.
Indeed. I first encountered the word in the first year of grammar school
when starting French and Latin. I had literally never heard or seen it
before.
The English language, rich as it is, falls behind many others in this
respect.
I dunno so much... English has the same number of genders as other
languages, but we don't make a fuss about it.
We just say or write "he", "she" or "it" without any feeling any need to
inflect adjectives, articles, etc.
We're certainly missing a lot by not having masculine, feminine and
neuter nouns. A few pronouns don't really cut it.
We *do* have masculine and feminine nouns in English. For example,
"man", "woman", "boy", "girl", "dog", bitch".

But we don't apply that principle to tables, chairs, windows and doors.
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
2020-07-28 16:12:16 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by JNugent
[...]
Yebbut there's nothing to distinguish them from each other...the same
definite and indefinite articles, the same adjectives. They may as
well all be the same gender.
As above.
JNugent
2020-07-29 04:18:35 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by JNugent
[...]
They might indeed. Using "la" instead of "le" or "il" wouldn't tell us
anything useful, after all.
Exactly.
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
2020-07-29 13:35:39 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by JNugent
[...]
Grammar isn't supposed to be useful. It's just there as a result of
linguistic evolution.
Incubus
2020-07-28 09:48:28 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by JNugent
Perhaps some people are complicating, or trying to complicate, a simple
issue for reasons which are not what they claim?
Let's confuse the issue even further by referring to 'gender', a term
traditionally restricted to grammatical usage.
Indeed. I first encountered the word in the first year of grammar school
when starting French and Latin. I had literally never heard or seen it
before.
The English language, rich as it is, falls behind many others in this
respect.
I dunno so much... English has the same number of genders as other
languages, but we don't make a fuss about it.
We just say or write "he", "she" or "it" without any feeling any need to
inflect adjectives, articles, etc.
English used to have three genders but grammatical gender became obsolete and
now we only have natural gender.
JNugent
2020-07-28 14:53:10 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by JNugent
Perhaps some people are complicating, or trying to complicate, a simple
issue for reasons which are not what they claim?
Let's confuse the issue even further by referring to 'gender', a term
traditionally restricted to grammatical usage.
Indeed. I first encountered the word in the first year of grammar school
when starting French and Latin. I had literally never heard or seen it
before.
The English language, rich as it is, falls behind many others in this
respect.
I dunno so much... English has the same number of genders as other
languages, but we don't make a fuss about it.
We just say or write "he", "she" or "it" without any feeling any need to
inflect adjectives, articles, etc.
English used to have three genders but grammatical gender became obsolete and
now we only have natural gender.
We have three genders in the language right now.

"He fell...".
"She fell..."
"It fell...".

That they are not thought of as "gender" in the Romance or Germanic
language sense is neither here nor there.
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
It's both here and there. 'Fell' is the same in each case.
JNugent
Why shouldn't it be?
Incubus
He seems to think verbs have gender.
Joe
2020-07-29 12:41:40 UTC
On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 07:25:12 -0000 (UTC)
Post by Incubus
He seems to think verbs have gender.
Because they used to in Latin, which is a major root of many European
languages. There were also six cases for singular and plural and the
distinction between I-you-he/they, of which there are only traces left
today in English. E.g. I dig, you dig, they dig, but he/she digs. French
still has a lot of it.
Joe
JNugent
2020-07-29 13:42:16 UTC
Post by Joe
Post by Incubus
He seems to think verbs have gender.
Because they used to in Latin, which is a major root of many European
languages.
But the difference is that there is no practical need for it in English,
where most of the context is provided by word order (whereas it never
was in Latin to anything like the same extent).
Post by Joe
There were also six cases for singular and plural and the
distinction between I-you-he/they, of which there are only traces left
today in English. E.g. I dig, you dig, they dig, but he/she digs. French
still has a lot of it.
Surely most verbs in English vary in form between the first and second
person singular (eg, "dig") and third person singular (eg, "digs")?
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
So there's really nothing to distinguish one gender from another.
Incubus
2020-07-28 16:14:28 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by JNugent
[...]
All examples of "natural gender".
Post by JNugent
That they are not thought of as "gender" in the Romance or Germanic
language sense is neither here nor there.
It's the difference between natural gender and grammatical gender. It's not
neither here nor there given that it is the topic of this subthread.

Wells(?) claim that English falls behind others is a strange one. If anything,
English is ahead in terms of developing a particular feature.
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Which particular feature?
m***@btopenworld.com
He can also claim never to have had any confusion of this nature over the tears.
Keema's Nan
2020-07-27 12:24:44 UTC
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by James Hammerton
I now find myself wondering what would happen if we put this question
our MPs...
The answer to the question is very simple. A woman is any person who
carries
the XX chromosome in their genetic makeup from conception onward.
And how do you find that out, without committing an offence?
Let the police/courts find out if you are charged with 'misgendering'
someone or some such 'hate crime'®™.
it is up to the courts to decide your gender just as they
once had the task of deciding if you were a witch
Normally, a short arm inspection should suffice. Where radical
surgery (e.e. penectomy) has been peformed, a simple blood test will
do the trick.
But that does not fit with Rowing’s claim that the answer is very simple.
He can also claim never to have had any confusion of this nature over the tears.
Yes, because all attempts to swab the mouths of passers by who look
transgender are obviously going to end in tears.
James Hammerton
2020-07-26 17:57:31 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by James Hammerton
I now find myself wondering what would happen if we put this question to
our MPs...
The answer to the question is very simple. A woman is any person who carries
the XX chromosome in their genetic makeup from conception onward.
And how do you find that out, without committing an offence?
Let the police/courts find out if you are charged with 'misgendering'
someone or some such 'hate crime'®™.
it is up to the courts to decide your gender just as they
once had the task of deciding if you were a witch
Transphobe! You know full well it is up to *you* to decide your gender.
The courts' role should be to enforce gender self identification against
anyone who raises even the slightest doubt that you are the gender you
say you are...

Regards,

James
Joe
2020-07-26 18:06:39 UTC
On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 18:57:31 +0100
Post by James Hammerton
Post by abelard
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 07:17:55 -0700, Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Post by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 12:44:52 +0100, Keema's Nan
Post by Keema's Nan
(in
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by James Hammerton
I now find myself wondering what would happen if we put this
question to our MPs...
The answer to the question is very simple. A woman is any person
who carries the XX chromosome in their genetic makeup from
conception onward.
And how do you find that out, without committing an offence?
Let the police/courts find out if you are charged with
'misgendering' someone or some such 'hate crime'®™.
it is up to the courts to decide your gender just as they
once had the task of deciding if you were a witch
Transphobe! You know full well it is up to *you* to decide your
gender. The courts' role should be to enforce gender self
identification against anyone who raises even the slightest doubt
that you are the gender you say you are...
Gender, perhaps, in its new meaning, but not sex. That's fixed at
conception, in all but a very, very tiny minority.
Joe
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
2020-07-26 18:19:03 UTC
Post by James Hammerton
Post by abelard
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 07:17:55 -0700, Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Post by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 12:44:52 +0100, Keema's Nan
Post by Keema's Nan
(in
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by James Hammerton
[...]
There is no new meaning. Gender is nothing more than a misused word
for 'sex'. People have sex, nouns and pronouns have gender.
Joe
2020-07-26 18:38:36 UTC
On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 11:19:03 -0700
Post by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
There is no new meaning. Gender is nothing more than a misused word
for 'sex'. People have sex, nouns and pronouns have gender.
Hence 'new meaning', when 'gender' is used to refer to people. It
doesn't mean 'sex'.

The 'woke' refer to 57 varieties of gender, never 57 varieties of sex,
which they know would be ridiculous.
Joe
James Hammerton
2020-07-26 18:59:12 UTC
Post by Joe
On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 11:19:03 -0700
Post by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
There is no new meaning. Gender is nothing more than a misused word
for 'sex'. People have sex, nouns and pronouns have gender.
Hence 'new meaning', when 'gender' is used to refer to people. It
doesn't mean 'sex'.
The 'woke' refer to 57 varieties of gender, never 57 varieties of sex,
which they know would be ridiculous.
I've seen larger numbers than 57 bandied about... (e.g.
https://dudeasks.com/how-many-genders-are-there-in-2020/)

I find this link a useful distillation of the terminology here (though
it doesn't list all the varieties of "gender"), though not all groups
use it:
https://www.thetrevorproject.org/resources/trevor-support-center/a-guide-to-being-an-ally-to-transgender-and-nonbinary-youth/

The subjectivism involved in all this is explicit in the idea you can
e.g. have a female gender identity, distinct from your sex, but also
distinct from your gender expression. They explicitly state that you
cannot tell someone's gender simply by looking at them!

Broadly speaking you have male, female and non binary, but non binary
seems to encompass those who feel a bit male plus a bit female, those
who claim not be either male or female, the gender fluid (sometimes
male, sometimes female, possibly sometimes neither!), plus god knows
what else...

At this point, my feeling is that if this concept of gender is mapping
onto something "real" (which is a big if in my mind...), it's mapping
onto (possibly an aspect of) personality hence the ever increasing
numbers of genders out there!

Regards,

James
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
2020-07-26 19:39:26 UTC
On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 19:59:12 +0100, James Hammerton
Post by James Hammerton
Post by Joe
[...]
It's far simpler than that: does the person got a dick or not? If
not, has it been removed?
Joe
2020-07-26 21:22:41 UTC
Post by James Hammerton
Post by Joe
The 'woke' refer to 57 varieties of gender, never 57 varieties of
sex, which they know would be ridiculous.
I've seen larger numbers than 57 bandied about... (e.g.
https://dudeasks.com/how-many-genders-are-there-in-2020/)
I hadn't bothered checking the current number, I was too busy counting
angels dancing on pinheads. I plucked 57 out of the air as a play on
the famous "57 varieties".
Joe
Incubus
2020-07-28 09:38:52 UTC
Post by James Hammerton
Post by Joe
[...]
I have read that people with gender dysphoria often have other comorbid
conditions. The transgender lobby blame this on oppression.
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
2020-07-26 19:37:40 UTC
Post by Joe
On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 11:19:03 -0700
Post by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
There is no new meaning. Gender is nothing more than a misused word
for 'sex'. People have sex, nouns and pronouns have gender.
Hence 'new meaning', when 'gender' is used to refer to people. It
doesn't mean 'sex'.
Gender does not refer to people and, indeed, it doesn't mean sex.
Post by Joe
The 'woke' refer to 57 varieties of gender, never 57 varieties of sex,
which they know would be ridiculous.
'Woke' is just ridiculous niggerbabble masquerading as English. There
are only three (or fewer/more, depending on the language) varieties of
gender: masculine, feminine and neuter.
JNugent
2020-07-27 14:30:51 UTC
Post by James Hammerton
Post by abelard
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 07:17:55 -0700, Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Post by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 12:44:52 +0100, Keema's Nan
Post by Keema's Nan
(in
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by James Hammerton
[...]
Suggested small amendment:

"There is no new meaning. Gender is nothing more than a misused word
for 'sex'. People have *a* sex, nouns and pronouns have gender."

[my emphasis]
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Quite so. OR: people have sex, nouns and pronouns don't.
James Hammerton
2020-07-26 18:47:51 UTC
Post by James Hammerton
Post by abelard
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 07:17:55 -0700, Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Post by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 12:44:52 +0100, Keema's Nan
Post by Keema's Nan
(in
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by James Hammerton
[...]
AFAICT the position of Stonewall, most LGBT groups these days, etc is
that gender trumps sex, hence the phrase "transgender women are woman"
(transgender woman = someone who was born male but has female gender, or
gender identity - the precise terminology used varies a bit) and the
support for gender self identification in these cases, plus the right of
transgender women to use women's spaces and services.

Note that these groups define the terms in such a manner that having a
gender dysphoria diagnosis, cross gender hormone therapy or surgery are
all optional to being trans. Essentially being a man (or woman or non
binary!) becomes a subjective matter, and trans means that your
subjective view matches your sex!

E.g. consider Alex Drummond (who sits on Stonewall's trans advisory
board), who in this video claims to be "widening the bandwith of how to
be a woman":

Alex explicitly asserts here that getting the surgery should not be a
prerequisite to being accepted as a woman.

ISTM Alex wants to be accepted as a woman on the basis of claiming to be
a woman and dressing in women's clothing and wearing jewelry alone,
never mind the beard, the male voice or the male reproductive anatomy...

Regards,

James
Joe
2020-07-26 18:54:11 UTC
Post by James Hammerton
Post by abelard
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 07:17:55 -0700, Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Post by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 12:44:52 +0100, Keema's Nan
Post by Keema's Nan
(in
to be a woman": http://youtu.be/argNVR5HVgE
Alex explicitly asserts here that getting the surgery should not be a
prerequisite to being accepted as a woman.
ISTM Alex wants to be accepted as a woman on the basis of claiming to
be a woman and dressing in women's clothing and wearing jewelry
alone, never mind the beard, the male voice or the male reproductive
anatomy...
Yes, I understand the assertions, but assertions are not necessarily
congruent with reality. I believe there have been a few people who have
asserted that they were reincarnations of Napoleon, but saying so did
not make it true.
Joe
James Hammerton
2020-07-26 19:09:24 UTC
Post by James Hammerton
Post by abelard
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 07:17:55 -0700, Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Post by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 12:44:52 +0100, Keema's Nan
Post by Keema's Nan
(in
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by James Hammerton
[...]
Our reality now contains not merely a lot of people who now believe
this, but a lot of institutional capture.

Virtually every group that formerly campaigned for gay rights now seems
to have bought most or all of these beliefs about what it means to be
transgender, which has led to gays and lesbians being accused of
transphobia for simply acting on their same-sex preferences (e.g.
lesbians refusing to date transwomen who have penises).

Most of our political parties have bought this stuff, most especially
the Greens and Lib Dems, plus Labour (but with internal resistance),
plus the SNP (with some internal resistance), and even the Tories LGBT
group has bought it. The ascent of Boris has perhaps seen the Tories
retreat a bit from it though.

Stonewall, Mermaids and other such groups have also been advising
numerous public authorities on these issues including the NHS, schools,
universities and the police.

Google UK recently urged people to sign a petition to the government to
ask them to carry on with gender recognition act reform (i.e. changes to
allow gender self identification).

Post by Joe
asserted that they were reincarnations of Napoleon, but saying so did
not make it true.
Indeed - but this is a bit different. They're redefining the language so
that terms such as man and woman become a matter of one's state of mind
rather than an objectively determined categorisation.

Regards,

James
Joe
2020-07-26 21:25:18 UTC
Post by Joe
asserted that they were reincarnations of Napoleon, but saying so
did not make it true.
Indeed - but this is a bit different. They're redefining the language
so that terms such as man and woman become a matter of one's state of
mind rather than an objectively determined categorisation.
I would have said that being Napoleon was a state of mind. Apart from
the original chap, of course.
Joe
abelard
2020-07-27 11:34:55 UTC
Post by James Hammerton
Post by abelard
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 07:17:55 -0700, Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Post by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 12:44:52 +0100, Keema's Nan
Post by Keema's Nan
(in
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by James Hammerton
[...]
just so...if enough lunatics believe in witches, sure as eggs
witches will be burned

other people's idiocy tend to be part of my reality
Incubus
2020-07-28 09:44:26 UTC
Post by James Hammerton
Post by abelard
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 07:17:55 -0700, Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Post by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 12:44:52 +0100, Keema's Nan
Post by Keema's Nan
(in
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by James Hammerton
[...]
Nosh that nob, bigots!
Post by Joe
asserted that they were reincarnations of Napoleon, but saying so did
not make it true.
Indeed - but this is a bit different. They're redefining the language so
that terms such as man and woman become a matter of one's state of mind
rather than an objectively determined categorisation.
How long until advocating for the rights of paedophiles becomes mainstream? I
was among those who laughed at conservative Christian predictions of what the
gay rights movement would entail but they have been right every step of the way
so far. We have seen people like Harriet Harman advocating for kiddy
diddlers since the 1980s.
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Harriet Harperson is a known paedophile.
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
2020-07-26 20:34:29 UTC
Post by James Hammerton
Post by abelard
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 07:17:55 -0700, Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Post by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 12:44:52 +0100, Keema's Nan
Post by Keema's Nan
(in
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by James Hammerton
[...]
Will he qualify for a women's prison if he gets imprisoned for a
serious offence?

Do you actually *believe* any of this shite or are you merely
repeatimg the trans party line?
Basil Jet
2020-07-26 22:34:39 UTC
Post by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Will he qualify for a women's prison if he gets imprisoned for a
serious offence?
Do you actually *believe* any of this shite or are you merely
repeatimg the trans party line?

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
Bogshed - 1986 - Step On It
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
2020-07-27 15:46:35 UTC
http://youtu.be/neRUtsa2Z7Y
Cringeworthy!
James Hammerton
2020-07-27 17:00:02 UTC
Post by James Hammerton
Post by abelard
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 07:17:55 -0700, Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Post by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 12:44:52 +0100, Keema's Nan
Post by Keema's Nan
(in
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by James Hammerton
[...]
I don't believe this stuff. My purpose in posting this was illustrating
just what beliefs are being pushed here by the "transwomen are women" crowd.

Regards,

James
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
2020-07-27 17:29:49 UTC
Post by James Hammerton
Post by abelard
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 07:17:55 -0700, Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Post by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 12:44:52 +0100, Keema's Nan
Post by Keema's Nan
(in
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by James Hammerton
[...]
Well, that's a relief. There are actually people out there who
*believe* it!
Keema's Nan
I suppose it gives them the attention they obviously crave.
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
2020-07-27 19:39:57 UTC
Post by James Hammerton
Post by abelard
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 07:17:55 -0700, Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Post by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 12:44:52 +0100, Keema's Nan
(in
Post by James Hammerton
[...]
The funny things is that their views and objectives often conflict
with the rest of the GBLTPQC+ rainbow!
Keema's Nan
2020-07-28 10:07:04 UTC
Post by James Hammerton
Post by abelard
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 07:17:55 -0700, Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Post by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 12:44:52 +0100, Keema's Nan
(in
Post by James Hammerton
[...]
How can anyone know what it feels like to be a member of the opposite sex?

A man cannot have any idea of what it feels like to grow up as a woman,
because they have never had all the complications to normal lifestyles
brought on by monthly menstruation for a start. They can have it described to
them, but it is not the same of living with it; or also from the mental fear
of being a target for every opportunist rapist as soon as they reach teenage
years.

I doubt many men have ever looked in the mirror when naked, and thought that
around the world every hour of the day millions of men are wanking themselves
silly while looking at photos or videos of a body similar to mine.
Incubus
One might as well believe one knows what it means to be a cat or a unicorn.
Basil Jet
2020-07-28 14:19:12 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
I doubt many men have ever looked in the mirror when naked, and thought that
around the world every hour of the day millions of men are wanking themselves
silly while looking at photos or videos of a body similar to mine.
You know gay men exist, right?
--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
Björk - 2012 - Bastards
Incubus
2020-07-28 14:30:02 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Keema's Nan
I doubt many men have ever looked in the mirror when naked, and thought that
around the world every hour of the day millions of men are wanking themselves
silly while looking at photos or videos of a body similar to mine.
You know gay men exist, right?
I thought that was just a myth that the media exploits to sell records to
impressionable teenagers.
Keema's Nan
2020-07-28 16:28:49 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Keema's Nan
I doubt many men have ever looked in the mirror when naked, and thought that
around the world every hour of the day millions of men are wanking themselves
silly while looking at photos or videos of a body similar to mine.
You know gay men exist, right?
Are you really suggesting that there are anywhere near as many wanking gay
men as there are wanking straight men?

And if the man is gay, why does he identify as a woman, and therefore trans?
Surely you are one thing or the other?
m***@btopenworld.com
We do! Whather hey were born thus is quite a separate matter.
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
2020-07-28 16:20:38 UTC
Post by James Hammerton
Post by abelard
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 07:17:55 -0700, Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Post by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 12:44:52 +0100, Keema's Nan
(in
Post by James Hammerton
[...]
Menstruation is no longer a requirement to be a 'woman'.
How very 'homophobic'®™ of you, Giles!
Keema's Nan
2020-07-28 16:35:29 UTC
Post by James Hammerton
Post by abelard
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 07:17:55 -0700, Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Post by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 12:44:52 +0100, Keema's Nan
(in
Post by James Hammerton
[...]
I hope we are not getting menopausal, because that would be Norman Wells'
sewer level of pedantry.

How many boys can you cite, who begin menstruation during puberty?
Indeed.
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
2020-07-28 19:03:49 UTC
Post by James Hammerton
Post by abelard
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 07:17:55 -0700, Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Post by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 12:44:52 +0100, Keema's Nan
(in
Post by James Hammerton
[...]
Getting andropausal has similar side effects.
As I said, it's no longer a requirement for being female.
Keema's Nan
2020-07-26 20:59:51 UTC
Post by James Hammerton
Post by abelard
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 07:17:55 -0700, Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Post by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 12:44:52 +0100, Keema's Nan
(in
Post by James Hammerton
[...]
In olden days all these people would be in the mental hospital having
treatment from electrodes on their heads.
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Men's ward or women's ward?
Keema's Nan
2020-07-27 08:46:31 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by James Hammerton
Post by abelard
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 07:17:55 -0700, Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Post by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 12:44:52 +0100, Keema's Nan
(in
Post by James Hammerton
[...]
That would depend on their genitalia. The first thing they would have to do
is strip naked and be examined by a doctor.
abelard
nhs, the best in the world
Keema's Nan
2020-07-27 10:44:16 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by James Hammerton
Post by abelard
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 07:17:55 -0700, Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Post by Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 12:44:52 +0100, Keema's Nan
(in
Post by James Hammerton
[...]
It certainly is.

But there are many greedy and selfish people who would willingly drag its
name through the dirt in order to get more private company involvement
(especially from the US) and see a rapid rise in the value of their
shareholdings in private healthcare and insurance companies.
abelard
'trust me, i'm a doctor'....let me feel you up
Keema's Nan
No thanks. I have heard of your sort.
abelard
2020-07-27 11:52:18 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
That would depend on their genitalia. The first thing they would have to do
is strip naked and be examined by a doctor.
nhs, the best in the world
It certainly is.
But there are many greedy and selfish people who would willingly drag its
name through the dirt in order to get more private company involvement
(especially from the US) and see a rapid rise in the value of their
shareholdings in private healthcare and insurance companies.
'trust me, i'm a doctor'....let me feel you up
No thanks. I have heard of your sort.
i'll send you some sweets if you like...i have nice packets
of lickerish allsorts
Keema's Nan
Ooooh thankyou. Can I get into your car?
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
They'd better be Bassett's or no deal.
Joe
2020-07-27 13:02:14 UTC
On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 11:44:16 +0100
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by abelard
nhs, the best in the world
It certainly is.
Which is why it is so widely copied...

I have a suspicion that the health systems of most other developed
countries have not shut down for everything except covid for the last
four months.
Joe
m***@btopenworld.com
2020-07-25 09:12:48 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by James Hammerton
I now find myself wondering what would happen if we put this question to
our MPs...
The answer to the question is very simple. A woman is any person who carries
the XX chromosome in their genetic makeup from conception onward.
And how do you find that out, without committing an offence?
You mean wiping the inside of someones cheek with a cotton bud/
There is nothing private about DNA. You leave a trail of it wherever you go. Discarded skin cells, body fluids, lost hairs, skin oils.
Keema's Nan
2020-07-25 10:00:10 UTC
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by James Hammerton
I now find myself wondering what would happen if we put this question to
our MPs...
The answer to the question is very simple. A woman is any person who carries
the XX chromosome in their genetic makeup from conception onward.
And how do you find that out, without committing an offence?
You mean wiping the inside of someones cheek with a cotton bud/
Yes exactly. Try it some time while you are out shopping, and see where it
gets you.
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Anything else is pure fantasy.
So is invading other peoples’ bodies in order to take DNA samples.
There is nothing private about DNA.
My DNA is private from you, thank goodness.

And I wouldn’t go anywhere near your DNA even if you paid me.
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
You leave a trail of it wherever you go.
Discarded skin cells, body fluids, lost hairs, skin oils.
And do you go around picking them up?

You said the answer was very simple. It would seem to be the exact opposite.
m***@btopenworld.com
2020-07-25 15:33:25 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
You leave a trail of it wherever you go.
Discarded skin cells, body fluids, lost hairs, skin oils.
And do you go around picking them up?
Not out of habit but undoubtedly some attaches itself to me as I move around.
But its not! Getting a DNA sample from anybody must be the simplest operation on earth. Simpler than cutting your finger or toe nails though those cuttings will do if no other sample is available.
Keema's Nan
2020-07-25 17:13:34 UTC
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
You leave a trail of it wherever you go.
Discarded skin cells, body fluids, lost hairs, skin oils.
And do you go around picking them up?
Not out of habit but undoubtedly some attaches itself to me as I move around.
And how does that provide you with the ’simple answer’ as to the gender
of the person concerned?
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by Keema's Nan
You said the answer was very simple. It would seem to be the exact opposite.
But its not!
Getting a DNA sample from anybody must be the simplest operation
on earth.
Really? What about breathing? You can do that in your sleep.
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Simpler than cutting your finger or toe nails though those cuttings
will do if no other sample is available.
We were talking about the gender of another person, not examining your own
DNA.
James Hammerton
2020-07-26 18:19:49 UTC
Post by m***@btopenworld.com
Post by James Hammerton
I now find myself wondering what would happen if we put this question to
our MPs...
The answer to the question is very simple. A woman is any person who carries the XX chromosome in their genetic makeup from conception onward.
It is rare, but in XX male syndrome someone who has two X chromosomes
nevertheless develops a penis and testes:
https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=25059

See also:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/biochemistry-genetics-and-molecular-biology/xx-male-syndrome

One cause is the transcription of the SRY gene (which normally sits on
the Y chromosome) into an X chromosome.

Another rare condition, called Swyer's syndrome, involves someone who is
XY but nevertheless develops a female phenotype. See:
https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/swyer-syndrome

However it should be noted that these "intersex" cases are not relevant
to people being "transgender" (despite many trans rights activists
insistence on raising them any time you try to talk about the concept of
a person's biological sex with them), I reference them because they
highlight that the answer to the question might not be quite as simple
as you suggested, though one might regard your answer as a reasonable
approximation.

Regards,

James
c***@gmail.com
2020-07-25 17:16:52 UTC
Post by James Hammerton
http://youtu.be/bKaQRTdcds0
[...]
If at the point that the child is born it possesses a penis it's a boy, if it has a vagina it's a girl.

There you go, very simple.