Fleeing China, Hong Kongers flock to Britain. 'We are not emigrating — we are escaping' - In 5 years, they will be wanting to return to Hong Kong/China as racism, loneliness, job opportunities take on bigger and bigger...
2021-09-11 20:06:09 UTC
https://www.yahoo.com/news/fleeing-china-hong-kongers-flock-083009671.html
Hopefully the Brits will give them free airfare...
Byker
2021-09-12 19:44:06 UTC
There are Chinese who have come here ten years ago who still only speak
Cantonese or Mandarin.
What's real fun is when Chinese nationals encounter Chinese-Americans who
speak only English. Coming from a country where everyone looks alike -- and
thinks alike thanks to the CCP -- they arrive in West, where suddenly
they're confronted by examples of every ethnic nationality on the planet.
They'll go up to anyone who looks "Asian" and start blabbering away in
Mandarin, only to be told, "I'm sorry, sir. I don't speak you language." The
usual response is, "But why can't you? You are Chinese!" Replying with, "No,
I am American. I was born here," that's when things get ugly ("How can you
be an American? You are CHINESE!"). Arguments over politics soon follow,
namely, "Why aren't you praising our glorious leader in Beijing?" The
Chinese-American responds, "Because my leader is in Washington, D.C." THAT
is unfathomable to Chinese nationals, who afterwards regard
Chinese-Americans as something akin to "race traitors."...
Basil Jet
2021-09-12 22:56:02 UTC
[...]
What language do they have this conversation in?

And why would a Chinaman expect any other Chinese-looking person to
understand his speech, when different parts of China speak different
languages?
--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
2009 - Drunken Maria & Monk Chant - Gossip & Raincoats
Byker
2021-09-13 16:51:16 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
What language do they have this conversation in?
English. Prior to leaving China, students are expected to have
learned enough English to understand and be understood...
Byker
2021-09-13 18:27:23 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
And why would a Chinaman expect any other Chinese-looking person to
understand his speech, when different parts of China speak different
languages?
Because Mandarin is the lingua franca among Han Chinese, who get first pick
at being chosen to study abroad and who regard other ethnicities living in
China as subhuman: https://www.travelchinaguide.com/intro/nationality/han/

If you think Uighurs have it bad, blacks living in China are regarded as
little more than animals:
https://www.hrw.org/news/2021/02/18/covid-blackface-tv-chinas-racism-problem-runs-deep