'Ireland owes this country nothing' - Bonnie Greer on Question Time on Brexit negotiations
Add Reply
Farmer Giles
2019-10-06 10:47:20 UTC
https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/bonnie-greer-on-brexit-and-ireland-on-question-time-1-6305863
Bonnie Greer has been credited with the most powerful statement of BBC's
Question Time last night when she pointed out Ireland owed the UK
absolutely nothing in the Brexit negotiations.
Appearing on the programme along side Nadhim Zahawi, Sarah Jones, Anand
Menon, and Melanie Phillips, the TNE columnist was listening to some of
the panellists effectively agreeing to a post-Brexit trade agreement
with America.
But Greer, from Chicago, was more concerned about Ireland's economic
interests which could prove to be a stumbling block. She said that
America wall always be a country that cares about the interests of Ireland.
She said: "Often at times, I hear people talking about Ireland as if
this country (UK) owns Ireland. Ireland owes this country nothing.
Ireland owes this country no concessions, it owes it no quarter, it owes
it nothing."
She continued to echo the point made by Nancy Pelosi, the speaker of the
United States House of Representatives, as she outlined the importance
of the Good Friday Agreement to American politics.
"The second thing that I'd add too is that the Good Friday Agreement -
in spite of its rather benign name - is a truce. It's a truce because
the United States of America and the EU sat down with this country to
make it happen. We have to be much more serious about this," she added.
"The third thing that I'd like to say is that the United States is
Irish. If anyone thinks that they're going to get a deal through and
have a trade relationship with the United States that shafts Ireland,
you've got another thing coming. It's not going to happen. It's not
going to happen. I'm from Chicago and you know what we do on St.
Patrick's Day? We dye the river green."
She warned: "People are very serious about Ireland in the United States.
Don't mess with it, don't make it look bad."
Dr Jennifer Cassidy tweeted: "If there were any more reasons to love
Bonnie Greer, well I've just found one."
Twitter user Ted wrote: "That was a spine tingling piece of dialogue
from her. I think her analysis will become an iconic statement about
brexit in future when we look back."
Farmer Giles
2019-10-06 11:01:45 UTC
[...]
Americans should learn to mind their own business. US interference
throughout the world is responsible for many of today's problems. Let
them sort out their own problems before they attempt to meddle elsewhere.
MM
2019-10-06 16:09:30 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Americans should learn to mind their own business. US interference
throughout the world is responsible for many of today's problems. Let
them sort out their own problems before they attempt to meddle elsewhere.
Remind us why you think Ireland, the Republic, owes us something.

MM
The Marquis Saint Evremonde
2019-10-07 08:01:46 UTC
Post by MM
Post by Farmer Giles
Americans should learn to mind their own business. US interference
throughout the world is responsible for many of today's problems. Let
them sort out their own problems before they attempt to meddle elsewhere.
Remind us why you think Ireland, the Republic, owes us something.
"The Loans to Ireland Act was granted Royal Assent on 21 December 2010,
and provided Parliamentary authorisation for a bilateral loan of £3.2
billion to be lent to Ireland. The government expects the loan to be
repaid in full."
https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/bilateral-loan-to-ireland
Evremonde
Farmer Giles
2019-10-07 08:40:01 UTC
Post by The Marquis Saint Evremonde
Post by MM
Post by Farmer Giles
Americans should learn to mind their own business. US interference
throughout the world is responsible for many of today's problems. Let
them sort out their own problems before they attempt to meddle elsewhere.
Remind us why you think Ireland, the Republic, owes us something.
"The Loans to Ireland Act was granted Royal Assent on 21 December 2010,
and provided Parliamentary authorisation for a bilateral loan of £3.2
billion to be lent to Ireland. The government expects the loan to be
repaid in full."
https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/bilateral-loan-to-ireland
I didn't see MM's post - not sure why - but I can't imagine where he got
the idea from that I said I think Ireland owes us something - but thanks
for showing us that they in fact do.
MM
2019-10-07 09:11:34 UTC
On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 09:01:46 +0100, The Marquis Saint Evremonde
Post by MM
Post by Farmer Giles
Americans should learn to mind their own business. US interference
throughout the world is responsible for many of today's problems. Let
them sort out their own problems before they attempt to meddle elsewhere.
Remind us why you think Ireland, the Republic, owes us something.
"The Loans to Ireland Act was granted Royal Assent on 21 December 2010,
and provided Parliamentary authorisation for a bilateral loan of £3.2
billion to be lent to Ireland. The government expects the loan to be
repaid in full."
https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/bilateral-loan-to-ireland
That was not the kind of debt Bonnie Greer was referring to. She was
highlighting the way England (not Britain) seems to look (down) upon
the Republic as if it's a kind of serf, and has done for centuries.

If anything, it's *England* that owes a debt to Ireland.

MM
Farmer Giles
2019-10-07 09:33:27 UTC
Post by MM
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
In your and Bonnie Greer's worthless opinion.

In fact you have it the wrong way round, Ireland has gained far more
from England than England ever gained from Ireland.

'O never trouble Ireland; her lamps are shining bright
While the wicked cities of England are plunged in fear and night,
For Ireland may go lightly and draw her easy breath,
With the hard heart of England set between her and death.

O never trouble Ireland, for she may sleep sound
While the reek of blood and burning goes up from English ground.
She lies down lightly with a smile upon her lips,
Her bulwarks built of English bones and the wreck of English ships.

O never trouble Ireland; her fields are green with mirth,
While the sharp share of battle ploughs the cursed English earth;
She may wrap her from the winter in a warm English cloak,
For the naked breast of England is wrapped in fire and smoke.

O never trouble Ireland, for Ireland is free -
It is only the men of other lands that groan for liberty.
It is only cruel England thinks such men worth a stir;
But do not trouble Ireland - it does not trouble her.

Say only of Catholic Ireland that she remained at home
When the Pagan and the apostate set heel on the neck of Rome,
When the cross lay under the fylfot, bowed down to the axe and rod,
And the dirty English Protestant went out to die for God.

And say of gallant Ireland, she does not stand alone;
She sits in the shield of England's arm and bites her to the bone.
She has shortened the sword of England without shewing fight -
God rest you merry, Irish men, let nothing you affright.

And say of conquered Ireland that she has won her war;
She has taken the bounty of England to settle the English score,
She has spilt the blood of England without drawing blade -
And England may go lightly now, for all her debts are paid.

But do not trouble England with a tale of Irish wrongs,
Or wring the heart of England with the old heroic songs,
Or bend the Irish blarney to woo the English ear -
For the laughter of England will not be good to hear.

And trouble not for Ireland; St Patrick lies asleep,
St Andrew and St David and St George are on the deep,
St Michael of the Angels shall guard our Western wall,
Our Lady of Victories pray for us all.'
MM
2019-10-08 12:13:07 UTC
Post by MM
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
Nothing wrong with commerce. But England couldn't just do that. It had
to take Ireland for itself. It stole Ireland from the Irish.

MM
Farmer Giles
2019-10-08 14:14:41 UTC
Post by MM
Post by MM
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
Ireland did plenty stealing of its own from the very beginning.

'At one point Ireland had the largest slave markets in Europe and their
unit of currency, the cumal, was based on the price of a slave girl of
about 18-20 years old. Irish slavers repeatedly raided along the Western
reaches of England and Wales. Indeed, this is one of the reasons why the
Normans went into Ireland, both to add to their conquests but also to
stop slave raiders taking “their” peasants, that is, the English.'

England's interest in Ireland was always strategic, there was very
little gain beyond that.
RH156RH
2019-10-08 14:21:36 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by MM
Post by MM
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
Excellent point, FG. The acquisition of colonies from the 16th century onwards by European monarchies was driven by the fear that those who acquired colonies would be able to dominate those without colonies because of their greater wealth. This fear began with the rise of Spain as the great European power circa 1500 AD RH

c, there was very
little gain beyond that.
The Marquis Saint Evremonde
2019-10-07 12:13:12 UTC
Post by MM
Post by Farmer Giles
Americans should learn to mind their own business. US interference
throughout the world is responsible for many of today's problems. Let
them sort out their own problems before they attempt to meddle elsewhere.
Remind us why you think Ireland, the Republic, owes us something.
"The Loans to Ireland Act was granted Royal Assent on 21 December 2010,
and provided Parliamentary authorisation for a bilateral loan of £3.2
billion to be lent to Ireland. The government expects the loan to be
repaid in full."
https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/bilateral-loan-to-ireland
That was not the kind of debt Bonnie Greer was referring to.
I'll bet it wasn't. She is far too ignorant for that.
Evremonde
Incubus
2019-10-07 10:20:53 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
Sadly, there has been an "Uncle Sam knows best" attitude for a long time,
ultimately caused by confusion that having the most modern armed forces
(although arguably not the best disciplined and trained) as well as a large
economy gives them such a right. It's amusing to hear some Americans talk
about democracy as though they invented it while they cheerfully oppose it
whenever they think their interests are not being served.

In Greer's case, it's the usual Globalist mantra combined with a severe level
of chippiness.
Farmer Giles
2019-10-07 13:02:40 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
Absolutely. In the case of Ireland, and that of one or two other
countries, US politicians concern is directly proportional to the
strength of the lobbying they get from two passports brigade.
Incubus
2019-10-07 10:15:44 UTC
[...]
So her entire argument is that we owe Ireland something because America likes
them? If we'd have known that we could have simply avoided having a democratic
referendum and just asked Ireland what to do.

I remember when she was on Question Time with Nick Griffin and she claimed that
Britain has been "multicultural" since Roman times. Her claim that America is
"Irish" is equally as daft. The only people who take her seriously are those
who have never learned to think critically.

It appears that the usual Remainers lapped it up - anything that places the
interests of a foreign country above those of Britain is fine by then.
Ophelia