An ugly truth: is cinema finally facing up to Britain's colonial past?
Farmer Giles
2019-11-30 18:46:25 UTC
http://archive.ph/xOjWV
The Nightingale is a rare attempt to depict the brutal reality of
British imperial rule. The industry must do more to tell it like it was
Jennifer Kent’s new thriller The Nightingale is a tough watch. The
setting is lawless, early 19th-century Tasmania, and the opening half
hour, especially, is a catalogue of violence: rape, murder, beatings,
senseless slaughter, even ecological violence. The victims are chiefly
women and indigenous people; the principal perpetrators are uniformed
British soldiers. The Nightingale reminds us that Britain’s colonisation
of Australia involved the killing of tens of thousands of Indigenous
Australians, with at least 270 documented massacres and many more untold
tales of cruelty. The film’s violence prompted walkouts when it screened
in Sydney earlier this year, but Kent has maintained that it is
historically accurate. “I couldn’t go into this part of our history and
water it down,” she said. “Like many other countries that have been
colonised, the indigenous people of Australia were subject to horrendous
treatment by the colonisers. .............>>>>>>>>>>>
Now let me see, the Scotch boast about the large number of Scotchlanders in the British Empire soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... RH
And the biggest slavers to boot.

https://www.blackhistorymonth.org.uk/article/section/history-of-slavery/scotland-and-slavery/
CheeseySock
2019-11-30 22:13:27 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
.............>>>>>>>>>>>
Now let me see, the Scotch boast about the large number of
Scotchlanders in the British Empire
soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... RH
And the biggest slavers to boot.
https://www.blackhistorymonth.org.uk/article/section/history-of-slavery/
scotland-and-slavery/

a set of "scots" perhaps were involved in slave trade i.e. the campbells,
the poisoners of other scots rebels

but another set of scots were slaves following the post campbell
poisonings and the subsequent "highland clearances"

what we have is self-hating whites ffs! (are they even whites or more
the "my-fellow-whites" types ???)

(like the jews use the term self-hating jews against the dissident jews)
CheeseySock
2019-11-30 22:21:23 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
scotland-and-slavery/
a set of "scots" perhaps were involved in slave trade i.e. the
campbells,
the poisoners of other scots rebels
but another set of scots were slaves following the post campbell
poisonings and the subsequent "highland clearances"
what we have is self-hating whites ffs! (are they even whites or more
the "my-fellow-whites" types ???)
the really excellent "my-fellow-whites" account was shut down, that
highlighted the number of jews that use the term "my-fellow-whites" then
when confronted on their racism say actually I am a jew.... and so cannot
be a racist...
CheeseySock
2019-11-30 22:23:12 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Farmer Giles
scotland-and-slavery/
a set of "scots" perhaps were involved in slave trade i.e. the campbells,
the poisoners of other scots rebels
but another set of scots were slaves following the post campbell
poisonings and the subsequent "highland clearances"
what we have is self-hating whites ffs! (are they even whites or more
the "my-fellow-whites" types ???)
the really excellent "my-fellow-whites" account was shut down, that
highlighted the number of jews that use the term "my-fellow-whites" then
when confronted on their racism say actually I am a jew.... and so
cannot be a racist...
like that sack of shit sascha baron cohen eh!

borat eh! ali-g eh! of course there he was "my-fellow-blicks" innit!
Paul Elam
I see the racist jew hating assholes are back.
David Edmunds
2019-12-01 19:08:49 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
What troubled me most about the Tasmanian Genocide was that it was reported that some of the colonists used the murdered native people as dog food.

I was not only the British colonies that were populated by the dregs of European societies, criminals and lunatics, but South Africa and parts of the Americas were as well.

David Martin Edmunds
Byker
And does anyone these days give a shit?
Farmer Giles
2019-12-01 21:02:53 UTC
Post by Byker
Post by Farmer Giles
Now let  me see, the Scotch boast about the large number of
Scotchlanders
in the British Empire soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... RH
And the biggest slavers to boot.
https://www.blackhistorymonth.org.uk/article/section/history-of-slavery/scotland-and-slavery/
And does anyone these days give a shit?
The O/P appears to - and the implication, as usual, is that it was all
down to the English, which is demonstrably untrue.
PhantomView
2019-12-02 02:20:16 UTC
Post by Byker
Post by Farmer Giles
Now let me see, the Scotch boast about the large number of Scotchlanders
in the British Empire soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... RH
And the biggest slavers to boot.
https://www.blackhistorymonth.org.uk/article/section/history-of-slavery/scotland-and-slavery/
And does anyone these days give a shit?
No, it is much more convenient to just say the USA is
the most horrible awful greedy cruel racist genocidal
thing that was ever on the planet .................
Byker
2019-12-02 15:45:43 UTC
Post by PhantomView
"Farmer Giles" wrote in message
Post by Farmer Giles
And the biggest slavers to boot.
https://www.blackhistorymonth.org.uk/article/section/history-of-slavery/scotland-and-slavery/
And does anyone these days give a shit?
No, it is much more convenient to just say the USA is
the most horrible awful greedy cruel racist genocidal
thing that was ever on the planet .................
Prior to the arrival of Europeans, African slaves were exported to the Arab
world for over a thousand years: http://tinyurl.com/y7mzvd5v

It seems strange that so many American blacks embraced Islam in the 1960's
and 70's, and yet historically the Muslims were some of the worst slavers,
and still are in the Sudan. Of course you'll never hear that from black
"leaders," especially Jesse Jackson and Louis Farrakhan. When it comes to
the modern-day slave trade, to say that there will be hell to pay for any
American black who dares to expose the Arab side of the slave trade is an
understatement. Chancellor Williams, author of the black nationalist and
Afrocentric work "The Destruction of Black Civilization," learned that the
hard way. Had he restricted himself to simply bashing Europeans, he'd have
been a hero among those blacks who show an almost slave-like devotion to
the Islamic world. But by attacking those Arab Muslims who also bought and
enslaved Africans by the millions, he became a pariah. He didn't adhere to
the party line. Williams died penniless and forgotten in a Washington
nursing home in 1992...
Incubus
2019-12-02 11:14:24 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
That didn't stop the BBC from putting the boot in last night on the concluding
episode of "War of the Worlds". With the anti-British and primarily
anti-English rhetoric they had plainly been saving up, one would think the
Scots and Welsh were entirely blameless.
Farmer Giles
2019-12-02 11:32:10 UTC
Post by Incubus
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
Par for the course with the BBC.

Once you understand the agenda of those in control of it, the bias of
programme contact and the disproportionate emphasis on certain elements,
is entirely predictable.
Dan S. MacAbre
2019-12-02 11:40:22 UTC
Post by Incubus
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
As much as I like the book, the films, even the Jeff Wayne thing, I
wasn't even slightly tempted to watch this latest BBC offering. There
is nothing that the BBC will not pervert for their propaganda purposes.
Incubus
2019-12-02 11:50:08 UTC
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by Incubus
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
I should have known, really. They took a more subtle approach this time.

The only edition of the Jeff Wayne album available now is the non-limited "30th
Anniversary" version. The master is taken from the 2005 "remaster" which is,
in fact, a remix. Certain things have changed - vocal lines, synths etc - and
certain things have been added. The timing of the narration has also changed,
and I suspect it has been sped up while preserving the original pitch in
places. It's quite odd listening to it when I am so used to the original
master from 1978. I have a mid '80s CD and '95 remaster on the way, which are
true to the original.
Dan S. MacAbre
2019-12-02 12:21:02 UTC
Post by Incubus
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by Incubus
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
There are two stage versions on DVD that I quite like. The older one
(mid 2000's or something?) is my favourite, since it retains the Richard
Burton narration. The more recent one is (mostly) different performers,
but better CGI.
Dan S. MacAbre
2019-12-02 12:48:19 UTC
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by Incubus
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by Incubus
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
I haven't seen anything of the stage versions. I just like closing my eyes and
listening to the albums.
They're surprisingly good, IMHO. A good orchestra, with good singers
performing the parts, and with some of the original players. Jeff Wayne
conducts, and the story is projected on a backdrop. Can be had on
eMule, if you still have that sort of thing.
My 1985 edition arrived to-day. I am going to listen to it in the afternoon,
although with my eyes open as I will be working.
Incubus
Unlike the BBC, I'd rather pay for it ;)
Dan S. MacAbre
2019-12-02 14:35:27 UTC
Post by Incubus
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by Incubus
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by Incubus
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
Indeed. If one is to resist the avalanche of shit to which we are daily
subjected, it makes sense to support those things that genuinely appear
to deserve it. As for the BBC, as long as they try to subvert the
culture and politics of the nation, then they'll get nothing from me.
Keema's Nan
2019-12-02 16:00:56 UTC
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by Incubus
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
eMule? That brings back a few memories of hours taken to load so-called high
quality files which turn out to be full of viruses or one part is always
missing so that the video will not play.
Dan S. MacAbre
2019-12-02 16:08:01 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by Incubus
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
I would never use it for actual software. Much too risky for that. :-)
There are some videos that it seems impossible to get anywhere else.
Keema's Nan
2019-12-02 16:47:55 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
-
[...]
I managed to get a few bootleg videos, but then a few years later found them
on Youtube with a download app, and they were better quality in the latter
case.
Dan S. MacAbre
2019-12-02 16:51:51 UTC
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by Keema's Nan
Post by Dan S. MacAbre
Post by Incubus
Post by Farmer Giles
[...]
Yes, I've found many gems on YouTube. I doesn't seem worth downloading
them, since (I guess) they'll always be there to see; but youtube-dl.exe
will get the best quality version available if you really really want
your own copy - just to be sure.