Happy St George's Day
Farmer Giles
2024-04-23 06:16:26 UTC
To the real English people here - both of you!
Pancho
2024-04-23 10:45:38 UTC
George, the Syrian Bloke? I'm 97% more English than him.
Farmer Giles
2024-04-23 12:52:36 UTC
Doesn't matter, he's been the patron saint of England for many centuries.
Pancho
2024-04-23 13:48:44 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Pancho
Post by Farmer Giles
To the real English people here - both of you!
George, the Syrian Bloke? I'm 97% more English than him.
Doesn't matter, he's been the patron saint of England for many centuries.
I'm not a Christian, not superstitious, he was a foreigner.

It isn't even one of the good religious holidays. Christmas I got
presents. Easter I got chocolate. Pancake day, I got pancakes. Guy
Fawkes there were fireworks and toffee apples.

Nothing ever happened on St George's day. Even, St Patrick's Day was
bigger in London, people used to go out and get pissed.

St George = nothing.
JNugent
2024-04-23 14:00:57 UTC
Post by Pancho
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Pancho
Post by Farmer Giles
To the real English people here - both of you!
George, the Syrian Bloke? I'm 97% more English than him.
Doesn't matter, he's been the patron saint of England for many centuries.
I'm not a Christian, not superstitious, he was a foreigner.
It isn't even one of the good religious holidays. Christmas I got
presents. Easter I got chocolate. Pancake day, I got pancakes. Guy
Fawkes there were fireworks and toffee apples.
5th November is not, and has never been, a holiday of any sort, let
alone a religious one (and less still a Christian one).
St George = nothing.
Pancho
2024-04-23 14:08:33 UTC
We burnt a Catholic! That sounds like a religious holiday to me.
Farmer Giles
2024-04-23 14:35:49 UTC
Post by Pancho
Post by JNugent
5th November is not, and has never been, a holiday of any sort, let
alone a religious one (and less still a Christian one).
We burnt a Catholic! That sounds like a religious holiday to me.
Seems very unfair, one of the very few people to have gone to
Westminster with good intentions.
Joe
2024-04-23 15:43:02 UTC
On Tue, 23 Apr 2024 15:00:57 +0100
Post by JNugent
Post by Pancho
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Pancho
Post by Farmer Giles
To the real English people here - both of you!
George, the Syrian Bloke? I'm 97% more English than him.
Doesn't matter, he's been the patron saint of England for many centuries.
I'm not a Christian, not superstitious, he was a foreigner.
It isn't even one of the good religious holidays. Christmas I got
presents. Easter I got chocolate. Pancake day, I got pancakes. Guy
Fawkes there were fireworks and toffee apples.
5th November is not, and has never been, a holiday of any sort, let
alone a religious one (and less still a Christian one).
In my mother's childhood days, Catholics were forbidden to celebrate it,
as Fawkes was one of theirs.
Joe
Farmer Giles
2024-04-23 14:04:58 UTC
Post by Pancho
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Pancho
Post by Farmer Giles
To the real English people here - both of you!
George, the Syrian Bloke? I'm 97% more English than him.
Doesn't matter, he's been the patron saint of England for many centuries.
I'm not a Christian, not superstitious, he was a foreigner.
It isn't even one of the good religious holidays. Christmas I got
presents. Easter I got chocolate. Pancake day, I got pancakes. Guy
Fawkes there were fireworks and toffee apples.
Nothing ever happened on St George's day. Even, St Patrick's Day was
bigger in London, people used to go out and get pissed.
St Patrick was English - or Welsh.
Post by Pancho
St George = nothing.
That's not true where I live.
Joe
2024-04-23 15:53:29 UTC
On Tue, 23 Apr 2024 14:48:44 +0100
Post by Pancho
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Pancho
Post by Farmer Giles
To the real English people here - both of you!
George, the Syrian Bloke? I'm 97% more English than him.
Doesn't matter, he's been the patron saint of England for many centuries.
I'm not a Christian, not superstitious, he was a foreigner.
It isn't even one of the good religious holidays. Christmas I got
presents. Easter I got chocolate. Pancake day, I got pancakes. Guy
Fawkes there were fireworks and toffee apples.
Nothing ever happened on St George's day. Even, St Patrick's Day was
bigger in London, people used to go out and get pissed.
St George = nothing.
It's worse than that, St George's flag is claimed by some to be racist,
presumably because it's the flag of England and not of all the other
countries of the World.

Apart from the USA, where the same cult flourishes, do the people of
any other countries consider their own flags racist?
Joe
Pancho
2024-04-23 18:10:12 UTC
Post by Joe
Post by Pancho
St George = nothing.
It's worse than that, St George's flag is claimed by some to be racist,
presumably because it's the flag of England and not of all the other
countries of the World.
Apart from the USA, where the same cult flourishes, do the people of
any other countries consider their own flags racist?
Racism and Nationalism are very similar. I had a fair bit of nationalist
indoctrination at school. I didn't like it. It seemed to me to be a lot
of poor people doing dangerous stuff for rich people, for free.

It's like the Ukraine war. If I were Russian or Ukrainian, I would want
to leave the country rather than fight.

I think there are wars where it makes sense to defend your tribe, but I
don't see them that often in the developed world.
Farmer Giles
2024-04-23 18:22:36 UTC
Post by Pancho
Post by Joe
Post by Pancho
St George = nothing.
It's worse than that, St George's flag is claimed by some to be racist,
presumably because it's the flag of England and not of all the other
countries of the World.
Apart from the USA, where the same cult flourishes, do the people of
any other countries consider their own flags racist?
Racism and Nationalism are very similar. I had a fair bit of nationalist
indoctrination at school. I didn't like it. It seemed to me to be a lot
of poor people doing dangerous stuff for rich people, for free.
It's like the Ukraine war. If I were Russian or Ukrainian, I would want
to leave the country rather than fight.
I think there are wars where it makes sense to defend your tribe, but I
don't see them that often in the developed world.
You are confusiong nationalism with patriotism, there is a clear
distinction.
Pancho
2024-04-23 20:52:59 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Pancho
It's like the Ukraine war. If I were Russian or Ukrainian, I would
want to leave the country rather than fight.
I think there are wars where it makes sense to defend your tribe, but
I don't see them that often in the developed world.
You are confusiong nationalism with patriotism, there is a clear
distinction.
The old lie: Dulce et Decorum est. Pro patria mori.

I don't see a clear distinction.
Farmer Giles
2024-04-23 21:29:37 UTC
Post by Pancho
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Pancho
It's like the Ukraine war. If I were Russian or Ukrainian, I would
want to leave the country rather than fight.
I think there are wars where it makes sense to defend your tribe, but
I don't see them that often in the developed world.
You are confusiong nationalism with patriotism, there is a clear
distinction.
The old lie: Dulce et Decorum est. Pro patria mori.
I don't see a clear distinction.
There is, but I rather suspect that something in your background/origins
might make you feel uncomfortable about both patriotism and nationalism
(but I accept that I could be wrong about that).

Love of your country is an extension of loving your own family and
associations - whilst not feeling unable to be critical of any of them
should it be warranted.
Incubus
2024-05-01 16:15:49 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by Pancho
Post by Joe
Post by Pancho
[...]
I'm an ethnonationalist. If it's good enough for Israel, it's surely
good enough for me.

JNugent
2024-04-23 11:12:30 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
To the real English people here - both of you!
And let's not forget the birthday (and by coincidence, [later] date of
death) of the Immortal Bard (1564-1616).
Farmer Giles
2024-04-23 12:50:04 UTC
Post by JNugent
Post by Farmer Giles
To the real English people here - both of you!
And let's not forget the birthday (and by coincidence, [later] date of
death) of the Immortal Bard (1564-1616).
That was only guessed at. There's not as much known about Shakespeare as
most people think.
JNugent
2024-04-23 13:30:49 UTC
Post by Farmer Giles
Post by JNugent
Post by Farmer Giles
To the real English people here - both of you!
And let's not forget the birthday (and by coincidence, [later] date of
death) of the Immortal Bard (1564-1616).
That was only guessed at. There's not as much known about Shakespeare as
most people think.
I know what you mean, but his birth was registered at the parish church
on 26th April and it is said, or claimed, that the custom was to
register three days after birth.