Why Britain's state pension time bomb is about to explode
useapen
2024-03-03 08:17:29 UTC
The last Baby Boomer turns 60 this year. Many born between 1946 and 1964
have already retired, and millions more will follow in the coming years,
with the number of people reaching state pension age forecast to hit a
record 800,000 in 2028 for the first time. By then the earliest anyone
will be able to claim their state pension will be 67, up from 66 today.

Rising longevity meant that for decades, raising the state pension age was
the silver bullet that helped to defuse Britain’s demographic time bomb.
But not for much longer.

Until now, a rising age limit has kept the Baby Boomers working, boosting
a jobs-rich recovery in the wake of the financial crisis and keeping the
economy afloat.

It meant politicians could think of paying pensions as tomorrow’s problem
– a long-term challenge of slow-moving demographics that could always be
left to a future government.

But that time bomb is still ticking. And Britain’s falling birth rate and
life expectancy means it’s about to explode amid this huge wave of
retirement.

The Telegraph is examining the future of the state pension in a three-part
series that will focus on the implications for work, retirement and living
standards for different generations.

In this first instalment, we look at whether the Government can keep
making the sums add up when the pensioner population is expected to rise
from 12m today to 17m by 2070.

Trouble ahead
The working age population is expected to increase by just over 1m to 44m
over that period.

Already, £1 in every £8 of government spending goes on the state pension.
Fast forward 50 years, and that number will be more like £1 in every £6.

A wave of retiring boomers is expected to push up the pensions bill
dramatically this decade. While raising the state pension age to 67 by
2028 will stem the rise in costs, the Office for Budget Responsibility
(OBR) predicts overall spending on the state pension will be £23bn higher
in 2027-28 than it was at the start of the 2020s. This jump is not
happening within five decades, but five years.

Sir Charlie Bean, a former OBR official, says the world took a global
peace dividend and era of cheap money for granted, spending extra money
with abandon, which is now coming back to bite.

“If you go back about 50 years about a quarter of [state] spending was on
health and welfare including pensions. That has risen to about half,
essentially because of these demographic forces - ageing - and also the
nature of technical change in the health sector,” he says, noting that
medical innovations are often expensive.

“Three things have made room for it. Firstly, declines in public
investment; secondly declines in defence spending [that came with] the
cold war dividend; and thirdly a fall in contribution from debt interest.”

Suddenly those have reversed, with serious implications for spending in
the next parliament at a time when money is already very tight.

The OBR believes spending on state pensions will rise from 5.1pc of GDP
this year - or around £130bn in today’s money - to 8.6pc of GDP in 2073,
or around £230bn. An older population also means more demand on health
spending, which is set to increase from 8.2pc of GDP this year to 15pc of
GDP.

While a fall in the number of young people will reduce spending on schools
over this period, the surge in older-age costs will swell the state to
more than half the size of the economy, up from 33pc pre-pandemic and an
estimated 38pc by the end of the decade.

Governments have two choices if they want to constrain state pension
spending in the future. Make people wait longer to claim it, or make it
less generous.

Life’s too short
The question of when the state pension age should rise from 67 to 68 has
already been the subject of two independent reviews.

John Cridland, author of the first report in 2017, suggested it should
rise to 68 between 2037 and 2039. Baroness Neville-Rolfe, the author of
the second, said that based on the rule of thumb that people should spend
roughly a third of their adult life in retirement, it should not rise to
68 until 2041-43.

But falling life expectancy has thrown a spanner in the works, forcing
Jeremy Hunt to delay a decision on when to next increase pension age for a
second time.

Advances in healthcare and better working conditions have resulted in four
decades of improving life expectancy. But the rate of increase has slowed,
and not just because of the pandemic.

Life expectancy growth has been slowing since 2011, with pandemic deaths
in 2020 and 2021 sending progress into reverse. Life expectancy is roughly
now back to where it was a decade ago, according to the Office for
National Statistics (ONS).

UK life expectancy at birth is now estimated to be 78.6 years for males
and 82.6 years for females, according to the ONS. That’s 38 weeks fewer
for males and 23 weeks lower for females compared with 2017 to 2019.

Cridland, who wrote the first report for the Government, says: “I think
there’s quite a lot of evidence that the continuing increase in longevity
is topping out. And that is overlaid by the pandemic, but actually the
signs were already there. If that’s the case, then you could argue the
trajectory for further tightening of the state pension, both in age and
support, could become more muted. My instinct is that the days of big
increases in longevity are fading.”

There is also the issue of how fit people remain after they retire. The
ONS defines this as an estimate of how much people believe their lives are
spent in “very good” or “good” health. And the evidence suggests this is
also in decline, with Scots seeing the biggest deterioration over the past
few years.

Britain’s not working
Sick Britain has barely been out of the headlines since lockdown, with the
number of people neither in work nor looking for a job currently at a
record high of 2.8m.

A rise in back and neck pain among older workers is partly to blame. The
UK is one of eight OECD countries where at least 20pc of adults aged over
65 report “severe limitations in their daily life”, according to the
think-tank.

Alongside Denmark and Norway, Britain also has the highest levels of
statin consumption per head in the OECD, and the third-highest use of
antidepressants.

This matters because the state pension is paid from the taxes of people in
work today, so the more people there are in work relative to those
retired, the better.

In 2020, there were around 30 pensioners for every 100 people of working
age. That has already risen to almost 32 pensioners, and will hit 35
before the decade is out – the timeline over which financial decisions at
next week’s Budget are being made.

Making people wait longer to claim their pension may seem obvious, but it
also risks widening the inequality gap. A recent report by the Longevity
Centre suggests that people may need to work until they’re 71 before
receiving the state pension to maintain the number of workers per retiree.

If that’s the case, the average person in Newton Heath and Moston in
Manchester would die before receiving it. Life expectancy here is just
70.2 years old, compared with 85.6 years in nearby Deansgate.

Healthy life expectancy also varies wildly depending on where you were
born. A man in Rutland can expect to live 75 years in rude health, while
in Blackpool that number is just 54 years.

Even this rapidly worsening picture does not tell us everything.

Looking at the number of people of working age is one thing. Looking at
how many are actually in work – and paying the taxes needed to fund the
state pension – is another.

The number of working age people who are economically inactive has been
rising, hitting 9.3m at the last count. That is equivalent to 21.9pc of
all people aged between 16 and 64.

Lord Turnbull, a former permanent secretary to the Treasury and cabinet
secretary, says major trends which have helped in past decades are no
longer enough to keep the dependency ratio healthy.

“Immigration helps redress the balance, but we are now going through a
phase about where have all the workers gone? There has been this huge
increase in inactivity,” he says.

“By and large activity had been rising as more women came into the
workforce, but inactivity turned up in pandemic and almost uniquely among
comparable countries, it has not returned to its trend level - it stayed
up.”

In particular, he frets that “we are the sickest country in Europe”,
pushing people out of the workforce and leaving the public purse bearing
the cost of healthcare bills without tax receipts.

Cridland suggests that ensuring the state pension remains fair will
involve tough choices.

He says that within the next decade, if Britain wants to “start to put in
place a plan to constrain cost increases without having to rob the health
budget, or rob the education budget or put up taxes, the next logical
thing you would do after deciding when the state pension age goes up,
would in my judgment be to remove the triple lock”.

RECOMMENDED

'I spent a week living on little more than the state pension – it wasn't
much of a life'
Read more
Lock and load
The policy, which was introduced at the start of the last decade, ensures
that payments to pensioners rise by the highest of 2.5pc, inflation or
earnings growth, whichever is higher.

It is understood that the Conservative Party will put the commitment in
its election manifesto.

A Tory source said: “The triple lock is a Conservative Party creation, has
been in every Conservative Party manifesto since we introduced it, and we
will commit to it again.”

Labour signalled it would do the same and challenged the prime minister to
put the commitment on record.

Rachel Reeves, the shadow chancellor, says: “The difference between being
in retirement and being of working age is that when you’re in retirement,
it is very difficult to increase your income. And so I think that
stability and certainty that your income is protected is important.

“We’ve always supported the triple lock.”

A Labour spokesman added: “The Labour Party will always stand up for
working people to have a fair, decent pension and financial security in
retirement.

“Rishi Sunak’s government has previously broken their promise to
pensioners and now need to be clear about their intention to maintain the
triple lock, to ensure pensioners’ incomes don’t fall behind what is
needed to give them a decent standard of living.”

Pensions minister Paul Maynard describes the state pension as a safety net
for millions of people.

“I want to ensure the State Pension remains the foundation of income in
retirement for future generations in a way that it is sustainable and
fair,” he says.

“This Government introduced the triple lock to do just that, and since
2011 we’ve lifted 200,000 older people out of poverty. With the full rate
of the new state pension rising to £11,500 in April this is vital
additional money for our hard-working pensioners who rely solely on this
income.

“We are taking long term decisions to build a brighter future for millions
– one that delivers for the pensioners of today and tomorrow.”

But not everyone is a fan of the triple lock. Peter Lilley, a former Work
and Pensions Secretary, describes it as “absurdly generous and
unsustainable in the long-term”.

He adds: “Why pensioners should get an increase when neither prices are
going up nor wages are going up is absurd.”

Lord Turnbull says the triple lock is “daft, but terrifically difficult to
get rid of”.

“When we get a shock, an output shock or a prices shock, you suddenly find
you have significantly made the pension more generous,” he adds.

“But it wasn’t a considered decision, it just happened. It is a very silly
way to do it.”

The Government is committed to reviewing the state pension age again in
the first two years of the next parliament.

Sir Steve Webb, the pensions minister who helped to introduce the policy,
says it’s time to look at government spending as a whole to find solutions
to keep the state pension on a sustainable path.

“There’s lots of things you can do to make the state pension system more
affordable apart from just hiking the pension age. One of which is making
more people of working age economically active,” he says.

The OBR estimates that the total annual tax loss as a result of rising
health-related inactivity and in-work ill-health is likely to stand at
almost £9bn a year. This would be more than enough to cut 1p off income
tax - and keep paying for the triple lock.

“That’s a far better thing to focus on than just repeatedly hiking the
pension age,” says Sir Steve.

“The risk is we think that the solution to the affordability of the state
pension lies exclusively within the state pension system, and it just
doesn’t.”

There might be more than one solution to the problem. But the state
pensions time bomb is still ticking down – and hiding from reality is no
longer an option.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/02/29/uk-state-pension-triple-
lock-time-bomb-explode/?li_source=LI&li_medium=for_you
JNugent
2024-03-03 14:22:07 UTC
Post by useapen
The last Baby Boomer turns 60 this year. Many born between 1946 and 1964
have already retired, and millions more will follow in the coming years,
with the number of people reaching state pension age forecast to hit a
record 800,000 in 2028 for the first time. By then the earliest anyone
will be able to claim their state pension will be 67, up from 66 today.
[ .. ]
Post by useapen
RECOMMENDED
'I spent a week living on little more than the state pension – it wasn't
much of a life'
Since no-one has to do that in real life (because of Pension Credit,
Council Tax Benefit, Housing benefit and mortgage interest - where
applicable - within Pension Credit), one wonders what the author can
have set off to prove.

FWIW, *I* couldn't live on my state pension of £669.76 every four weeks.
But since I don't have to, that doesn't prove anything.
Post by useapen
The policy, which was introduced at the start of the last decade, ensures
that payments to pensioners rise by the highest of 2.5pc, inflation or
earnings growth, whichever is higher.
No. Not "payments to pensioners", but "the state pension", which is not
the only payment made to pensioners. Just as with other means-tested
benefits, Pension Credit, Council Tax Benefit, Housing Benefit and
mortgage interest within Pension Credit are subject only to an annual
increase at the relevant inflation rate. This year, the
(non-means-tested) state pension will increase by a smidgeon over 8%
(the increase in earnings) while the means-tested Pension Credit,
Council Tax Benefit, Housing Benefit and mortgage interest within
Pension Credit will increase by about 6% (the rise in prices from
September 2022 to September 2023). So this year, the incomes of
pensioners will not, overall, rise by the same rate as earnings. Parts
of them will, but not all of them. They will, however, rise overall by
more then the rate of inflation.
Post by useapen
It is understood that the Conservative Party will put the commitment in
its election manifesto.
A Tory source said: “The triple lock is a Conservative Party creation, has
been in every Conservative Party manifesto since we introduced it, and we
will commit to it again.”
Labour signalled it would do the same and challenged the prime minister to
put the commitment on record.
Hadn't the Conservative Party just *done* that, as said by "Tory Source"?

What is the point in asking a party to commit to something they've
already committed to?
Post by useapen
Rachel Reeves, the shadow chancellor, says: “The difference between being
in retirement and being of working age is that when you’re in retirement,
it is very difficult to increase your income. And so I think that
stability and certainty that your income is protected is important.
“We’ve always supported the triple lock.”
A Labour spokesman added: “The Labour Party will always stand up for
working people to have a fair, decent pension and financial security in
retirement.
So why didn't THEY introduce the Triple Lock some time between 1997 and
2010? Or between 1974 and 1979, between 1964 and 1970 or even between
1945 and 1951? No-one was stopping them.
Post by useapen
[...]
?????

When was there ever a time in living memory when the UK inflation rate
was 0%?
Post by useapen
Lord Turnbull says the triple lock is “daft, but terrifically difficult to
get rid of”.
“When we get a shock, an output shock or a prices shock, you suddenly find
you have significantly made the pension more generous,” he adds.
Or exactly the same real terms "generosity" as before the price rises?
Governor Swill
2024-03-03 15:19:01 UTC
On Sun, 3 Mar 2024 14:22:07 +0000, JNugent <***@mail.com> wrote:

In the US, the fastest way to get unelected is to mess with Social Security. Does the UK
find that to be true of pensions as well?

Swill
--
Trump and the DoJ

https://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/2024/01/18

GO TRUMP! Go farther! Farther! I can still hear you!

Heroyam slava! Glory to the Heroes!

Sláva Ukrajíni! Glory to Ukraine!

Putin tse prezervatyv! Putin is a condom!

Go here to donate to Ukrainian relief.
Incubus
2024-03-05 12:39:52 UTC
Post by Governor Swill
In the US, the fastest way to get unelected is to mess with Social Security. Does the UK
find that to be true of pensions as well?
Pensions and the NHS, the latter particularly being a sacred cow that
gets changed by stealth.
Phil Hendry's Chop shop
2024-04-10 21:21:57 UTC
On Sun, 03 Mar 2024 10:19:01 -0500
Post by Governor Swill
oes the UK
find that to be true of pensions as well?
Swill
Let's get together and share some shamrock shakes - what say you
little man ball?

https://whiteysjollykone.com/

1300 Jefferson Blvd, West Sacramento, CA 95691
Sunday
Closed
Monday
Closed
Tuesday
11:00AM - 7:00PM
Wednesday
11:00AM - 7:00PM
Thursday
11:00AM - 7:00PM
Friday
11:00AM - 7:00PM
Saturday
11:00AM - 7:00PM

Not too far a drive for ya is it?

Pick a day and time - you gutless, flabby little queer.
abelard
2024-03-03 14:44:43 UTC
On Sun, 3 Mar 2024 08:17:29 -0000 (UTC), useapen
Post by useapen
The last Baby Boomer turns 60 this year. Many born between 1946 and 1964
have already retired, and millions more will follow in the coming years,
with the number of people reaching state pension age forecast to hit a
record 800,000 in 2028 for the first time. By then the earliest anyone
will be able to claim their state pension will be 67, up from 66 today.
we can easily meet any particular pension

a lot is about choice
we could all choose to walk or cycle

read this from the '30s
"Economic Possibilities For Our Grandchildren." keynes
(many coppies on the net)
63h.1504
2024-03-04 01:09:53 UTC
Post by useapen
The last Baby Boomer turns 60 this year. Many born between 1946 and 1964
have already retired, and millions more will follow in the coming years,
with the number of people reaching state pension age forecast to hit a
record 800,000 in 2028 for the first time. By then the earliest anyone
will be able to claim their state pension will be 67, up from 66 today.
we can easily meet any particular pension
a lot is about choice
we could all choose to walk or cycle
read this from the '30s
"Economic Possibilities For Our Grandchildren." keynes
(many coppies on the net)
The UK is suffering from the same demographic crisis as
much of the 1st world - drastic reduction in birthrates
create a fatal gap ... no youth, no money, to support the
older gens. The success of the 1st world after WW2 led
people to believe they didn't need nine kids to protect
them in their old age.

And it was true ... for awhile.

The very worst off is S.Korea - birthrate of 0.71 at last
tally. Bare "replacement" is 2.1 per.

Countries are importing 3rd-world people in droves - no
matter how they frame it for political reasons - to try
and cope. It may serve for one more gen, but much beyond
that the original "nations/cultures" are DEAD, completely
replaced by "the help".

The UK does not have the money to boost the pension system,
or the medical system, or much of ANY system. Like so many
others it's been a debt economy for a long time - does not
create enough product/profit to pay the bills and keeps
falling further and further behind the curve.

The pension system in the USA is also, technically, in huge
debt. However there's a trick to that figure - the reason is
that rather than create politically unpopular new taxes the
pols kept borrowing from the pension fund - a "secret piggy
bank" - where it would go unnoticed. Alas the USA is kind of
in the same sort of boat as the UK, just not QUITE so close
to sinking. Same factors involved though, same outcomes ensured.

In any case, feet and bikes will not save the UK - indeed
just make business less efficient. Unless a meteor wipes
out China and India and FORCES the 1st-world to become
self-sufficient again, well, they will be excavating and
arguing about the downfall 5000 years from now. Will likely
think Churchill took tea with Queen Boudica at The Shard :-)
abelard
2024-03-04 14:16:48 UTC
Post by useapen
[...]
it isn't about money...it's about choices and technology

there are now robot dogs being road tested as guide
dogs for the blind
soon cars will not require drivers...robots are being developed
as carers

the world changes....it is not static with predictable outcomes

the changes are everywhere
63h.1504
2024-03-04 22:54:54 UTC
Post by abelard
Post by useapen
[...]
They're crap - don't give one to a blind person
unless you want them dead.
Post by abelard
soon cars will not require drivers...robots are being developed
as carers
Note the increasing tide of lawsuits and criminal cases
and govt regs involving "self-driving" ("self-crashing")
automobiles.

Be it e-dogs or 'smart'cars, the tech ISN'T NEARLY THERE YET.

Oh yea, what "AI" there IS means MASSIVE disemployment of
humans over the next 10-20 years - they'll be obsolete.
How will they live ? Tax their previous employers much
more and they'll go broke - no more money. Oh, and the
final gotcha - disemployed people can't BUY much, so
the hoped-for corporate savings will turn to ruin as
nobody can buy their products.
Post by abelard
the world changes....it is not static with predictable outcomes
the changes are everywhere
Tech/"AI" is not gonna save western economies. Hell, they
won't even be MAKING it ... just sending more money to
China until something goes wrong in China and then we're
all back to dung huts and the Plague .....

Post-WW2, western economies over-invested plus created
vast infrastructure that today's economic realities just
cannot support. Profits turned to losses turned to
impossible debts. These are "fantasy economies".

Was looking at sat photos of the UK the other day. It
is impressive (perhaps a bit sad) that there is very
little 'nature' left - the rest is solid farms farms
and more farms. Now we'd THINK that means that at least
the UK won't starve when the Fantasy ends ... but note
that farms aren't magic - they require lots of labor
and "stuff", plus the goods require transport and safe
storage and smooth exchange of money. Most of that
requires respectable infrastructure to be realized,
and alas the future of that is what's in question.
abelard
2024-03-05 00:20:55 UTC
Post by 63h.1504
Post by abelard
Post by useapen
[...]
aircraft once killed people
Post by 63h.1504
Post by abelard
soon cars will not require drivers...robots are being developed
as carers
Note the increasing tide of lawsuits and criminal cases
and govt regs involving "self-driving" ("self-crashing")
automobiles.
Be it e-dogs or 'smart'cars, the tech ISN'T NEARLY THERE YET.
Oh yea, what "AI" there IS means MASSIVE disemployment of
a moment past you were complaining a shortage of people
we're all doomed....doomed i say
63h.1504
2024-03-05 05:09:08 UTC
Post by abelard
Post by 63h.1504
Post by abelard
Post by useapen
[...]
Aircraft still kill people. City buses still kill people.
Bicycles kill lots of people.

Anyway, believe me, don't put your trust in
an electric seeing-eye dog.
Post by abelard
Post by 63h.1504
Post by abelard
soon cars will not require drivers...robots are being developed
as carers
Note the increasing tide of lawsuits and criminal cases
and govt regs involving "self-driving" ("self-crashing")
automobiles.
Be it e-dogs or 'smart'cars, the tech ISN'T NEARLY THERE YET.
Oh yea, what "AI" there IS means MASSIVE disemployment of
a moment past you were complaining a shortage of people
No "shortage of PEOPLE", yet - however a shortage of
Brits/Americans/Japanese/Koreans/French/etc is decidedly
in-progress. The thinking/cultures that built ideas like
"rights"/"equality"/"justice" are thinning-out rapidly.

Now a serious shortage of JOBS for "people" - THAT is
the more immediate issue. "AI" will make MANY obsolete
in the next 10-20 years. What happens to them ??? Seems
nobody wants to hear that question.

And no, "flower arranging" is NOT a real replacement.
Post by abelard
[...]
SOME are 'doomed' - the rest ... well ... that might
get kinda ugly and depressing.

So, how much Soylent Green can YOU afford ?
abelard
you have a confused mind
Siri Cruise
2024-03-05 13:01:50 UTC
Post by abelard
Post by 63h.1504
Post by abelard
aircraft once killed people
Aircraft still kill people. City buses still kill people.
Bicycles kill lots of people.
Anyway, believe me, don't put your trust in
an electric seeing-eye dog.
you have a confused mind
Aircraft don't use AI. AI creates programs randomly until one
seems to work. The code is not something you can reason about and
so can't be used in safety critical tasks.

It useful for creating filters to narrow a search with humans then
inspecting the results. Even then since the filters can't be
reasonned about, they exclude results without notice. Look at
social media where people are always complaining about suppression.
--
Siri Seal of Disavowal #000-001. Disavowed. Denied. @
'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\
of Discordian Mysteries. This post insults Islam. Mohamed
abelard
no argument from me
Phil Hendry's Chop shop
2024-04-10 21:20:19 UTC
On Tue, 5 Mar 2024 05:01:50 -0800
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by abelard
Post by 63h.1504
Post by abelard
aircraft once killed people
Aircraft still kill people. City buses still kill people.
Bicycles kill lots of people.
Anyway, believe me, don't put your trust in
an electric seeing-eye dog.
you have a confused mind
Aircraft don't use AI.
BULLSHIT LIE!

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/aerospace/2023-06-14/beyond-automation-how-ai-transforming-aviation

June 14, 2023
More than a century after the invention of the autopilot, aerospace engineers are still working to bring more automated processes into aircraft cockpits to enhance safety, increase efficiency, and reduce pilot workload. With the help of artificial intelligence (AI), autopilot technology has evolved from simple devices that maintain an aircraft’s altitude and heading to fully autonomous flight control systems capable of performing gate-to-gate operations without any human input.

One way or another, almost every aerospace and defense company
exhibiting at this year's Paris Air Show increasingly is looking to
exploit the potential for AI to improve their aircraft and other
systems. This ubiquitous and rapidly morphing technology sphere likely
will show a high profile at several forward-looking events during the
main show. They include the Paris Air Lab, which concentrates on
ensuring aviation's sustainable future, and the Avion de Métiers
sessions, meant to lure young technologists into an industry that
stands to learn much about AI from other sectors, such as automotive
manufacturing.
63h.1507
2024-03-05 20:07:10 UTC
Post by abelard
Post by 63h.1504
Post by abelard
Post by 63h.1504
Post by abelard
it isn't about money...it's about choices and technology
there are now robot dogs being road tested as guide
dogs for the blind
They're crap - don't give one to a blind person
unless you want them dead.
aircraft once killed people
Aircraft still kill people. City buses still kill people.
Bicycles kill lots of people.
Anyway, believe me, don't put your trust in
an electric seeing-eye dog.
you have a confused mind
I'm a tech geek - I know the reality, and the hype,
about these sorts of gadgets. You could too - the
net is absolutely awash in tekkie stuff.
abelard
2024-03-05 22:39:42 UTC
Post by 63h.1507
Post by abelard
Post by 63h.1504
Post by abelard
Post by 63h.1504
Post by abelard
it isn't about money...it's about choices and technology
there are now robot dogs being road tested as guide
dogs for the blind
They're crap - don't give one to a blind person
unless you want them dead.
aircraft once killed people
Aircraft still kill people. City buses still kill people.
Bicycles kill lots of people.
Anyway, believe me, don't put your trust in
an electric seeing-eye dog.
you have a confused mind
I'm a tech geek - I know the reality,
you don't...you know theory
programmes are primarily constructced of generalisations
63h.1507
2024-03-05 23:29:03 UTC
Post by abelard
Post by 63h.1507
Post by abelard
Post by 63h.1504
Post by abelard
Post by 63h.1504
Post by abelard
it isn't about money...it's about choices and technology
there are now robot dogs being road tested as guide
dogs for the blind
They're crap - don't give one to a blind person
unless you want them dead.
aircraft once killed people
Aircraft still kill people. City buses still kill people.
Bicycles kill lots of people.
Anyway, believe me, don't put your trust in
an electric seeing-eye dog.
you have a confused mind
I'm a tech geek - I know the reality,
you don't...you know theory
They paid me 40+ years for the reality part ...
Post by abelard
Post by 63h.1507
and the hype
about these sorts of gadgets. You could too - the
net is absolutely awash in tekkie stuff.
programmes are primarily constructced of generalisations
No - they are constructed of very exact operations. You
can combine said operations to create "generalizations"
of various kinds if you desire. That can actually be
kind of a pain in the ass sometimes - creating
inexactitudes from operations so exact.

Start with :
https://www.w3schools.com/python/

For a "high level" programming language or :
https://www.tutorialspoint.com/assembly_programming/index.htm

For the nuts & bolts that high-level language becomes
once fully processed. There ARE levels below that in
most modern CPUs :
https://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~dift1213/Slides/microcode.pdf

The Truth Is Out There

But I'm beginning to wonder if you REALLY want to
find it .....
Governor Swill
2024-03-06 01:52:31 UTC
Post by 63h.1504
Post by abelard
Post by 63h.1504
Post by abelard
Post by useapen
[...]
It might push the wrong button on the elevator and send you careening to the basement.
Post by 63h.1504
Post by abelard
Post by 63h.1504
Post by abelard
soon cars will not require drivers...robots are being developed
as carers
Note the increasing tide of lawsuits and criminal cases
and govt regs involving "self-driving" ("self-crashing")
automobiles.
Be it e-dogs or 'smart'cars, the tech ISN'T NEARLY THERE YET.
Oh yea, what "AI" there IS means MASSIVE disemployment of
a moment past you were complaining a shortage of people
No "shortage of PEOPLE", yet - however a shortage of
Brits/Americans/Japanese/Koreans/French/etc is decidedly
in-progress. The thinking/cultures that built ideas like
"rights"/"equality"/"justice" are thinning-out rapidly.
Now a serious shortage of JOBS for "people" - THAT is
the more immediate issue. "AI" will make MANY obsolete
in the next 10-20 years. What happens to them ??? Seems
nobody wants to hear that question.
Population growth is slowing. Many countries are seeing birth rates below replacement
level. Nature WILL take a hand.
Post by 63h.1504
And no, "flower arranging" is NOT a real replacement.
It is if it pays enough to live on.
Post by 63h.1504
Post by abelard
we're all doomed....doomed i say
You must be a conservative.
Post by 63h.1504
SOME are 'doomed' - the rest ... well ... that might
get kinda ugly and depressing.
So, how much Soylent Green can YOU afford ?
Apparently you are too.

Swill

Phil Hendry's Chop shop

68hx.1805
2024-04-11 07:00:16 UTC
Post by Governor Swill
It might push the wrong button on the elevator and send you careening to the basement.
Let's get together and share some shamrock shakes - what say you
little man ball?
Hey, the UK *is* in the crapper ... the "free money"
election trick has BROKEN any possible system. Soon
there can be no pensions or 'socialized' anything
and it'll all come crashing down hard and it'll all
be woad-painted barbarians again.

Russia will "take mercy" and seize control ...

The Brit "left" will think that's GREAT - until they
find they're the first ones put up against the wall.

In the USA. the "social security" system is technically
far FAR more than broke. However it isn't because the
system is inherently bad or unsupportable - but because,
to hide de-facto tax increases, govt has been "borrowing"
from the fund for 50+ years. If you don't SEE the tax
and spending problem then it doesn't exist, right ???
Phil Hendry's Chop shop
2024-04-14 18:42:43 UTC
Post by Governor Swill
It might push the wrong button on the elevator and send you
careening to the basement.
Let's get together and share some shamrock shakes - what say you
little man ball?
Hey, the UK *is* in the crapper ... the "free money"
election trick has BROKEN any possible system. Soon
there can be no pensions or 'socialized' anything
and it'll all come crashing down hard and it'll all
be woad-painted barbarians again.
Yep.
Post by 68hx.1805
Russia will "take mercy" and seize control ...
The Brit "left" will think that's GREAT - until they
find they're the first ones put up against the wall.
Brits tend to die easily when invaded.
Post by 68hx.1805
In the USA. the "social security" system is technically
far FAR more than broke. However it isn't because the
system is inherently bad or unsupportable - but because,
to hide de-facto tax increases, govt has been "borrowing"
from the fund for 50+ years. If you don't SEE the tax
and spending problem then it doesn't exist, right ???
All we pay for with our tax$$ now is some of the interest upon some
of the interest, upon...

No bonded principal figures will ever be retired nor seen again.

Governor Swill
2024-03-05 04:46:17 UTC
Post by 63h.1504
Post by abelard
Post by useapen
[...]
True conservatives fear change.
Post by 63h.1504
Post by abelard
soon cars will not require drivers...robots are being developed
as carers
Note the increasing tide of lawsuits and criminal cases
and govt regs involving "self-driving" ("self-crashing")
automobiles.
Hardly a tide. But it's nice to know that no human driver has ever caused an accident.
Post by 63h.1504
Be it e-dogs or 'smart'cars, the tech ISN'T NEARLY THERE YET.
And it won't be without testing. Fact remains, even at this stage, robocars are safer
than human operated vehicles. And most of the crashes that do occur were caused by the
other, human driver.

"Waymo says data shows its robotaxis are much safer than cars driven by humans. Driverless
car company Waymo analyzed over 7 million fully driverless miles for a safety analysis.
The data indicated its cars are 6.7 times less likely to be in injury-causing crashes than
human-driven cars."
<https://www.businessinsider.com/waymo-driverless-cars-data-safer-than-human-driven-vehicles-2023-12>

"Are self-driving cars already safer than human drivers?"
In a word, "Yes."
<https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/09/are-self-driving-cars-already-safer-than-human-drivers/>

"Back in February, Waymo released a report celebrating its first million miles of fully
driverless operation, which mostly occurred in the suburbs of Phoenix. Waymo’s autonomous
vehicles (AVs) experienced 20 crashes during those first million miles. Here are some
representative examples:

“A passenger car backed out of a parking space and made contact with the Waymo AV.”
“An SUV backed out of a driveway and made contact with the Waymo AV.”
“The vehicle that had been previously stopped behind the Waymo proceeded forward,
making contact with the rear bumper of the Waymo AV.”
“A passenger car that had been stopped behind the Waymo AV passed the Waymo AV on the
left. The passenger car’s rear passenger side door made contact with the driver side rear
of the Waymo AV.”

Post by abelard
the world changes....it is not static with predictable outcomes
the changes are everywhere
Tech/"AI" is not gonna save western economies. Hell, they
won't even be MAKING it ... just sending more money to
China until something goes wrong in China and then we're
all back to dung huts and the Plague .....
Conservatives fear change. Only technology makes them clench tighter.
Post by 63h.1504
Post-WW2, western economies over-invested plus created
vast infrastructure that today's economic realities just
cannot support. Profits turned to losses turned to
impossible debts. These are "fantasy economies".
Was looking at sat photos of the UK the other day. It
is impressive (perhaps a bit sad) that there is very
little 'nature' left - the rest is solid farms farms
and more farms. Now we'd THINK that means that at least
the UK won't starve when the Fantasy ends ... but note
that farms aren't magic - they require lots of labor
and "stuff", plus the goods require transport and safe
storage and smooth exchange of money. Most of that
requires respectable infrastructure to be realized,
and alas the future of that is what's in question.
You sound like the horse cart drivers complaining about the dangers of "horseless
carriages".

Swill

Phil Hendry's Chop shop

Governor Swill
2024-03-05 03:40:28 UTC
Post by abelard
Post by useapen
[...]
Nothing strikes terror into the heart of a conservative more than change.

Swill

Phil Hendry's Chop shop

Incubus
2024-03-05 12:41:46 UTC
Post by useapen
[...]
In addition to such racial and cultural vandalism, it doesn't seem to
occur to them that the people they import to boost the population will
also one day grow old and receive state benefits and need to be paid
for.

It's a state-sponsored pyramid scheme, as is fiat currency.
abelard
2024-03-05 15:06:47 UTC
Post by Incubus
Post by useapen
[...]
e f russell did a short story on the drudges (taxi drivers,
launderers etc) replacing an advanced civilisation
63h.1507
2024-03-05 20:51:48 UTC
Post by Incubus
Post by useapen
[...]
Correct, it's a pyramid scheme - sponsored by desperate
'leaders' to stretch things out a LITTLE longer (until
their golden parachutes are polished and packed).

The imported "help" will now soon become so dominant that
whatever the 'character' of the UK or France or many others,
that will cease to be. Those countries will take on the
character of the ones the "help" FLED from.

No babies = No Country. Thousands of years down the drain.
Population-replacements are nothing new, but this is a
world connected on so many levels that it may all fall
down. The higher you are ...

I've checked-around for a long time and found NO kind of
economy that works in a demographic inversion. ALL require
more young than old - 'do-ers', earners, taxpayers. Even
more/better robots won't solve this, just delay the
collapse for a little longer.

No, the species will not die out entirely - places
where women are still "handmaids", seen as Baby
Machines, will persist. Maybe not a NICE sort of
existence though - filthy huts and plagues. Not
much of a way 'up' either since we've used up all
the ready natural resources ...
abelard
2024-03-05 22:56:07 UTC
Post by 63h.1507
Post by Incubus
Post by useapen
[...]
it's all vanished in a puff

you don't understand evolution either
63h.1507
2024-03-05 23:55:06 UTC
Post by abelard
Post by 63h.1507
Post by Incubus
Post by useapen
[...]
"Puffs" can be seconds or centuries or millennia ...

For 'western-style' civ - I'm guessing about 40 years.
Today's youth will be too old to become parents by then
so there'll be too few kiddies to fill in, carry on.
'Eastern-style' civ in much the same boat. Afghan
goatherds, deep-rurals in India and S.America, they'll
stick around.
Post by abelard
you don't understand evolution either
Got Chuckie D on my shelf ...

Dawkins too ...

Want a lecture on what "fittest" really means ?
abelard
2024-03-04 15:28:59 UTC
abstract 'thinking' is the root cause of much mental disease
63h.1504
2024-03-04 22:07:05 UTC
Post by abelard
abstract 'thinking' is the root cause of much mental disease
"Abstract" thinking is a hallmark of our species,
what "sets us apart".

And yea, we are kinda nuts.

More fun ! :-)
abelard
2024-03-05 00:22:03 UTC
Post by 63h.1504
Post by abelard
abstract 'thinking' is the root cause of much mental disease
"Abstract" thinking is a hallmark of our species,
what "sets us apart".
and what makes you mad
Post by 63h.1504
And yea, we are kinda nuts.
More fun ! :-)
63h.1504
2024-03-05 04:19:54 UTC
Post by abelard
Post by 63h.1504
Post by abelard
abstract 'thinking' is the root cause of much mental disease
"Abstract" thinking is a hallmark of our species,
what "sets us apart".
and what makes you mad
Mad ? Mad ?? MAD ??? HaHaHaHaHa !!! :-)

Oh well, if you want to be an oblivious worker bee,
I suggest communism - and maybe a lobotomy.
Post by abelard
Post by 63h.1504
And yea, we are kinda nuts.
More fun ! :-)